Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Another thorough and excellent review - thanks! Will be interesting to see your follow-ups.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up!

Sandro videos sold me on the products line too. The water behavior looked like it had an edge over everything else available

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I add to this I see the first post and think "Hmmmm..."
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-planned.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

EVO Quick Update

01/21/2021 - Bit of an update after Jet, doing the trim and throwing water on it

Jet was very nice, easy to apply and leaves the paint a touch slicker and glossier. Used the remaining EVO on the trim after talking to Nick Parks to see if use on trim was OK:

Yes it is appropriate, but there is a caveat. EVO has an fairly incredible darkening effect, it gets very deep and glossy on paint (and trim!). So, when you do run over trim, you will have to make sure you get 100% even coverage, otherwise it will be very obvious where you did and do not apply it to the trim.
    It`s quite nice on the trim and does indeed darken it and adds a bit of sheen to it; not gloss by any means but a sheen that makes it look a bit like "When it was new *plus*" if that makes any sense. It was noticed by some others wandering by who mentioned they`ve never seen black plastic on these trucks look as dark and rich before.

For that matter, it does indeed have that effect on the paint as well. It is kinda reminiscent of the first time I used Gtechniq CSL and noticed a `more than usual` darkening of the paint but the EVO has more overt gloss and reflectivity than CSL by far to go along with the darkening....it really is quite pleasing visually. Also tossed some water on the hood, both in a `cup of flood rinse` across the top to see sheeting and then another cup thrown violently down on the surface so I`d get some splatter and beads, pic below of the resulting beads. The resulting beads moved very nicely across the surface when nudged by a slight shot of air at relatively low pressure...they move quite well with noticeably little persuasion.

This one is overall a very pleasing experience so far and I hope it holds up going forward. For a 1-layer coating with a conveniently quick flash time (something I`ve come to prefer), it would be nice to have around.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-evobead1.jpgThink I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-evobead3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome. I rather have relative quick flash. Just focus on one panel at a time lot like polishing.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@budget looks good I have seen some mixed results on YouTube with jet. It was only torture testing which is not the same as driving a car for durability but it was still interesting the videos were from parks detailing and another detail channel where jet showed the great beading but was stripped off the panel quickly. I had also watched the opposite on Sandros channel where it did great in durability tests.

I have not personally bought it or used it but will eventually I didn’t know it darkened the surface like that I tend to enjoy those products because they change the look of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    @budget looks good I have seen some mixed results on YouTube with jet. It was only torture testing which is not the same as driving a car for durability but it was still interesting the videos were from parks detailing and another detail channel where jet showed the great beading but was stripped off the panel quickly. I had also watched the opposite on Sandros channel where it did great in durability tests.

I have not personally bought it or used it but will eventually I didn’t know it darkened the surface like that I tend to enjoy those products because they change the look of the vehicle.
    If`n I had to guess, I`d say the coating itself was the primary factor in the darkening effect. Really didn`t notice it until I moved the the vehicle from the back of the warehouse where I coated it & applied Jet up to the front next to another uncoated Race Red truck...really stood out there. The area where I coated it was under standard fluorescent lights and the place where I moved it to and noticed the color darkening was where I had them install some 5000K LED tubes in the fixtures last year...you know, so I could see better to do my `real` job and save some energy for the Great Mother Company

The Jet did add a touch of gloss and a bit of slickness which I noticed even under the fluorescent`s. I still have 2 uncoated, new Race Red Vans side by side back there, perhaps I`ll drop some Jet on 1 of the hoods before prep/polishing/coating and see if it is indeed the Jet that shifts the color a bit.

The guy who is assigned the Evo van finally took it out of the warehouse and began using it this morning so now we`ll get some actual real world info although here in NE Ohio, just gonna be covered in dry salt dust for now.

I understand why the YouTube folks do the `torture testing`, no real way to wrap up an LSP test in the short length of a video and ending it with "We`ll be able to give you results, tune in in 12 months" would kinda lose ya some clicks but I find them pretty pointless where LSP`s are concerned. And, as you noted "Guy A" gets these results whereas "Guy B" gets something significantly different. Nature of the Beast I guess...
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The online reviews of Jet are way too inconsistent for to take a punt on it at the moment (the bill nearly doubles through shipping/taxes). Brian from Apex Detail had largely different results than Sandro - Jet appeared to resist agitation of strong APCs where Lustre suffered much earlier. Brian and other YouTubers found the opposite - albeit different chemicals used. Begs the question if they`re the same formulas across the globe with the various regulations and restrictions? That was previously mentioned to me but when I asked Nick Parks he categorically denied them being different.

Acura`s real world findings on here I`ve also factored in, not a fan of grabby application, it`s hydrophobic but no moreso than top competition and no significant difference in durability vs Cosmic and Overcoat. Lustre sounds more interesting though for me, not `beady` enough to be used standalone and would need topped with something more hydrophobic which is then likely to limit the slick feel it has...

Boy do we overthink these things
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Being that durability of coating is so long on my vehicle I like bead but I also like when a product changes the look of the paint even if it’s just slight. I like products that do that. I like products that darken the paint I was surprised it wasn’t the luster that did it.
    Likes atbalfour, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks Ed_H thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Being that durability of coating is so long on my vehicle I like bead but I also like when a product changes the look of the paint even if it’s just slight. I like products that do that. I like products that darken the paint I was surprised it wasn’t the luster that did it.
    Yep another inconsistency. Will read a few more reviews before I decide either way.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Boy do we overthink these things
    Boy, ya sure got that right. I think that the relatively minute differences in most of these types of things end up being overshadowed by the general overall `feel` you get from using a product. With all of the things I`ve tried I`ve never really run across anything in the past few years that would make me change what goes on my personal cars; I really couldn`t imagine what more I would want out of the set of products I keep as my favorites.

Unless we`re gonna see a true quantum shift in coatings and associated products at some point, I think we`re looking at very, very small differences in overall performance; has there really been anything truly game-changing in this space in the last few years? Graphene sure wasn`t in my experience with it...which is not to say graphene products are bad in any way, shape or form...just not all that different than ceramics at the end of the day.

While it is usually fun to try new stuff, I think eventually it gets to the point of diminishing returns.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the previous version of Jet & Lustre as well as the revised formula (as of maybe a year ago?). I think they are fine products-- Lustre was a really nice application experience in particular. But there is definitely nothing special about them, in my opinion-- plenty of domestic products can do what they do.
    Likes rand0m, BudgetPlan1, noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also have tried Onyx, Snow+, and Purge from the same vendor. Again-- meh, they do what they say but the crazy shipping costs eliminated any value I might have found with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Continuing on w my burgeoning penchant for 1-layer, quickly flashing coatings I gave The Gloss Shop`s newly released Titan a try.

Cliff Notes for Short Attention Span Theatre types:

Thicker consistency, easy to see where applied, workable in 2x2 sections, sometimes a bit larger, cross-hatch pattern works well for even coverage w little buildup, a little goes a long way. Multi surface, nice `thicker` looking gloss w just a slight tough of `candy`, slight darkening...classy look overall. Satisfying, enjoyable application.

For those with more appetite, a couple of bowls of detailed `Word Salad` to follow; otherwise here`s a great exit point for the TL;DR folks Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Mfg/Vendor description:

Titan is our 9h professional grade ceramic coating offering the highest level of Si02 content of all our coatings.

With proper maintenance, Titan will offer up to 5 years protection from a single layer.

Once cured, this coating offers the most resistance to scratches and the harsh elements a vehicle faces including graffiti.

The Gloss Shop Titan can be applied to paint, glass, plastic, wheels, and metal.

When applied to exterior plastics and trim, the finish will remain in a natural looking OEM condition.`
    `
    We recommend maintaining the coating with The Gloss Shop Ultra Body Wash to cut through tough road film at least every two weeks.

An application of Hydrophobe Express Coating will add intense water beading and extremely slick surface.

Our coating is handmade in the USA in small batches. `It meets VOC`compliance laws in all 50 states.

While the coating does not have strong odors common to ceramic coatings, we still recommend applying in well ventilated areas and wear proper protective equipment.

**Ambient working temperature of 60-85° F**`

Directions:

1) Wash & dry vehicle thoroughly

2)`Fully`decontaminate surface to remove silicones, waxes, bugs, & fallout. `Polish paint to remove swirls & scratches.

3) Shake product well. `Pour a few drops onto applicator of choice. `Working on a cool surface out of direct sunlight, apply product in a crosshatch pattern no larger than 2`x2`.

4) Allow product to flash 1-2 minutes before gently wiping residue with a lint free microfiber towel.` Level high spots immediately, do not use heavy pressure.

5) Allow 24 hours before exposing to water or moisture.

*Due to quick flash time, professional application strongly recommended.

Titan is a recent release from Richard Wright at The Gloss Shop and I`ve used his previous ceramic (then called The Gloss Shop Ceramic V2, now renamed Zen1th) a few times and it performed as advertised...quite nice. Kinda a no-brainer for me to give Titan a try as i was looking for another 1-layer coating and my previous experiences w his coatings were excellent. He has also released a `mid level` coating Pho3nix that looks interesting.

Generally the 1-layer, quicker flashing coatings take a bit more attention to apply. Somewhat less forgiving as far as how much area you can cover before removal and seem to be a bit thicker in consistency meaning it`s a bit easier to overload removal towels and unwittingly push coating residue to adjacent panels where it sets up and leaves a high spot. Titan followed these characteristics which in reality, sound worse than they are; pay attention, work more deliberately with attention to section edges and its actually a relaxing process.

Priced at $110 for 50ml and suitable for paint, trim, glass and such, it`s the perfect size for these ridiculous Ford Transit E250, windowless, long-wheelbase fleet vans; these things have more paint than a `72 Plymouth Fury Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts....

Using a 3x5 thin coating saver applicator, it took about 1.5 hrs & 30ml to do the paint, about another 10-15ml to do the voluminous amounts of black plastic trim. Gonna pour the leftover in something and let it cure to see if it`s somewhat flexible when it sets up. Did that with a coating before and it was surprisingly pliable...right up until it wasn`t Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Cured coating: https://youtu.be/Iqsn5EhemO0

The Titan would rainbow a few seconds after finishing a cross hatched, 2x2 section and remained easily removable for a minute or 2 after that. It was about 65 degrees F w little humidity during application.

The surface was nicely smooth and slick enough that the bottle would slide off of a area coated about 15 minutes before; not slick enough that gravity alone would let a 300gsm slide off the marginally inclined hood but pleasing to the touch nontheless.

The look reminds me a bit of the thicker, molten gloss of 22ple HPC on this Race Red paint. Parked next to the Race Red one I did recently with NV Nova Evo, it seemed just a touch lighter in shade but overall a very nice look and shine.

I`ll hit it with Gloss Shop Hydrophobe Express coating at some point (spray & rinse deal) when the weather warms up, if the weather warms up. In the meantime the vehicle will sit inside until late March. I imagine ill toss water at the hood at some point, hard to resist when ya walk by it every morning.

3 down (Kamikaze ISM 2.0, NV Nova Evo & Gloss Shop Titan) and 1 more to go this Winter (Shine Supply Beadlock Pro).

Edit: 2 days later, applicators are crispy for whatever that`s worth.
    Likes dgage, The Guz, acuRAS82, Coatings=crack, bofh liked this post
    Thanks dgage, Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread Information