Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Has me interested budget. When first looking into graphene Ethos was the least known brand to be and I was not very trusting or interested but all those YouTube videos with tall beading and how fast the water was clearing the panels has caused me to do a 180. Will be cool to see how this one turns out. If it maintains the tall beading and water clearing action for 1 year I might be interested. I know they state 5 years but kinda hard to listen to someone who is trying to sell you something.
    I think I`m gonna leave Ethos on the shelf for now, change of heart...was kinda an `impulse buy` thing.

Add one more item to my list of "Things that seemed like a good idea at the time" Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Has me interested budget. When first looking into graphene Ethos was the least known brand to be and I was not very trusting or interested but all those YouTube videos with tall beading and how fast the water was clearing the panels has caused me to do a 180. Will be cool to see how this one turns out. If it maintains the tall beading and water clearing action for 1 year I might be interested. I know they state 5 years but kinda hard to listen to someone who is trying to sell you something.
    Sounds like Ethos also uses B&B blending for their coating. They are the ones who bought out Adams. Also heard they blend the glassparency coating. Just different variations such as Adams having their patent pending UV tracer technology.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think I`m gonna leave Ethos on the shelf for now, change of heart...was kinda an `impulse buy` thing.

Add one more item to my list of "Things that seemed like a good idea at the time" Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Sticking with what you know?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like Ethos also uses B&B blending for their coating. They are the ones who bought out Adams. Also heard they blend the glassparency coating. Just different variations such as Adams having their patent pending UV tracer technology.

That’s good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just picked up 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR. Decided on Kamikaze ISM 1.0 kit. This will allow me to coat everything and hopefully tonneau cover which is aluminum with matte black finish, try test spot.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Thinking ethos or Adams for the chevelle. Want to give graphene a try and formulate my own opinion. Right now from what i’ve read it is great marketing.

Got some 3.0 left maybe a side by side.

Was thinking ISM 2.0 and miyabi but sounds a little difficult and this time around looking for easier than CQUK3.0

I like adams UV idea but wonder if that additive changes coating properties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Was thinking ISM 2.0 and miyabi but sounds a little difficult...
    The Miyabi is pretty much `sealant easy` at this point, lotsa familiarity by now, kinda lures ya in and then ISM 2.0 shows up Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Definately need to heed instructions and pay attention. Whole car went fine until I started thinking I was smarter than I actually was...oops. Does look thick and rich though, even the less than perfect hood.Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Thinking ethos or Adams for the chevelle. Want to give graphene a try and formulate my own opinion. Right now from what i’ve read it is great marketing.

Got some 3.0 left maybe a side by side.

Was thinking ISM 2.0 and miyabi but sounds a little difficult and this time around looking for easier than CQUK3.0

I like adams UV idea but wonder if that additive changes coating properties

Out of the two get the Adams coating. Both are blended by the same place as I posted up above and that blender now owns Adams.

You would like the Adams paint coating. Really easy to apply compared to Cquartz UK. Just not as durable but you’re topping it so it’s not that big of a deal.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Not so concerned w majority of panels but the sharp edges are likely getting a bit thin. Will probably go very light on those. 2 layers of Miyabi + 1 of ISM 2.0 will likely come off w Rupes yellow and Sonax PF, maybe UroFiber pad but will be watchful.
    Try looking at different angles and look at the peaks of the orange peal. If the peaks are flattened then you know you have removed some clear from the car. Probably not at a point of damage but eventually it could happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Per this link, Adams and BB Blending are both subsidiaries of a Canadian chemical company now.
    https://www.recochem.com/here-we-gro...-of-companies/
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do paint corrections and coatings as a part time detailer. I have license to Nanolex pro coatings and couple scandinavian coatings. I am looking for something other and i could get Gyeon, Carpro, IGL or Ceramic Pro. Which brand do you think has the best coatings? Keep in mind that i live in skandinavia so salt is an issue.

- Ceramic Pro is CP only, no other brands allowed to use. Also the 9h pro kit is expensive to buy
    - Carpro requires ir-lamps for the CQ Finest Reserve
    - IGL is bit unknown brand here but i like their brand.
    - Gyeon? I cant seem to see any negatives
    Rupes 21 MK3 | Rupes 15 MK3 | Rupes Duetto | Rupes Mini | Rupes Nano iBrid | Rupes LH19E

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel79 View Post
    I do paint corrections and coatings as a part time detailer. I have license to Nanolex pro coatings and couple scandinavian coatings. I am looking for something other and i could get Gyeon, Carpro, IGL or Ceramic Pro. Which brand do you think has the best coatings? Keep in mind that i live in skandinavia so salt is an issue.

- Ceramic Pro is CP only, no other brands allowed to use. Also the 9h pro kit is expensive to buy
    - Carpro requires ir-lamps for the CQ Finest Reserve
    - IGL is bit unknown brand here but i like their brand.
    - Gyeon? I cant seem to see any negatives
    Having no experience w/ pro coatings, I can`t really say anything worthwhile or even marginally helpful...so I defer to the greater experience of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Ethos Graphene Matrix Coating

October 12, 2020 - Well, I didn`t plan on doing this but stuck at home for a few days and not wanting to start raking leaves (yet)

Having used a graphene coating already I kinda figured I was done w/ graphene coatings. As noted in the above-linked notes, the SPS was overall a *very* nice coating, did many things that many might find appealing, but in the end I went back to ceramics as they better fit my needs w/ regards to climate & vehicle usage and maintenance patterns.

However, with the recent glut of graphene, graphene-infused, graphene-ceramic and other such `graphene is wonderful` products, I snatched up some Ethos Graphene Matrix as they stand out among the others w/ claims of being a `true` graphene coating. Now I`m not in the room when they blend/manufacture the stuff so I can`t say for sure whether the claim is valid or not but at this point, I`m somewhat skeptical of many of the recent graphene releases w/ regards to the actual benefits of the graphene infusions in a real-world situations (or `true` graphene coatings). The products themselves may be very good overall (as the SPS Graphene was) but is it due to graphene content or not? I dunno but my current thoughts on graphene as a whole can be found here: Thoughts on graphene: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/ot.../#GRAPHENECOAT

Suffice it to say, I`m currently in the `skeptical` camp w/ regards to graphene. Now that`s not to say graphene coatings are bad or ineffective but rather to say that I don`t really believe the graphene component as it currently exist provides any real benefit.

Now Ethos as a manufacturer, be it Tim Coats, Adonis Detailing (his shop) or Ethos Car Care (his product company) has been quite aggressive in defending his product as a `true graphene coating` amidst the skepticism that currently seems to exist w/ the topic of graphene in car-care situations. Personally I`d prefer to let the product do the talking, and would stay outta the many Social Media posts and videos they show up in to extol the virtues of the Graphene Matrix Coating; I`d limit it to their own channels, Forums and other Ethos-centric Social Media outlets instead. I can`t judge the approach as I`m not in a position to do so but perhaps a less intrusive approach would better serve them...just an opinion. I get the need and desire to defend their products so in the end, what do I know? What I do know, though, is that it`s a bit disingenuous of me to cast a skeptical eye and comment accordingly on something I haven`t actually used so I figr`d what the heck, I`ll give it a go. Who knows, maybe it`ll turn out to be a great coating (regardless of any graphene component); after using it the application and aesthetic aspects of the product are certainly quite enjoyable.

Anyway, with all that outta the way, lets move on to the coating itself.

The car this was applied to was completely done in Kamikaze ISM 2.0 in August of 2020 but I figr`d why not polish that off of the hood, roof and trunk lid and replace it with the Ethos Graphene Matrix Coating...so that`s what I did. The ISM 2.0, while a bit of a cantankerous product to use, did have 2 spots that needed fixing anyway so I hadda use something and the Ethos was on my shelf (the result of an impulsive purchase late at night) so why not? When doing the ISM 2.0 in August, I had noticed a spot/stain on the trunk lid after polishing off the SPS Graphene that had been on the car for the last 14 months or so. I had removed it during polishing, double checked w a variety of Scangrip lights and prior to coating, it was gone. Unfortunately, after coating the car and leaving it parked outside in the Summer sun for a few days, the spot/stain re-appeared...dunno why, have heard some explanations/theories but at the end of the day, wanted to re-do it. I had also `gooned up` the hood during application, a result of thinking I was smarter than it turned out I was. ISM 2.0 is one of those "Apply in a 18" x 18" sections and remove IMMEDIATELY" type of coatings, which I had done over the car with no issues...until I got to the hood. Figuring, "eh, this ain`t no big thing" I started going with bigger sections (like half of the hood), cross-hatching the application and other such "not following instructions" things. Oops...high spots and streaks everywhere. So it needed to be redone as well...doh! So, I had 2 sections that needed re-doing, an unopened bottle of Ethos I hadn`t planned on really using, some spare time so...

This car is my daily driver when the weather doesn`t support the use of one of our `fun` cars and with Winter coming up in NE Ohio my daily driver (a 2017 Crystal Black Pearl Honda Accord V6 Coupe) is gonna see some heavy use in the coming months. It will sit outside as there is no room in the garage during the Winter and it`s daily work commute alone will see about 1500 miles a month, 95% of that on 4 of the most heavily traveled Interstates in the area. Throw in non-work commute travels and I`d guess in the next 12 months I`ll put close to 16k miles on it. In my experience, nothing kills LSP`s like freeway usage in a Winter climate with all of the salt, chemical de-icers and associated road-gruel they lay down around here. When it`s not on the road it will be sitting outside 24/7, 365 days a year on a heavily wooded lot. It will spend large parts of Autumn covered in wet leaves, sap, bird bombs and all manner of things Mother Nature drops from the skies. While I will maintain it the best I can, that will mostly depend on weather (I ain`t washing in cold weather), motivation (I`m really not a big fan of washing cars) and how often I choose to run it thru the local soap/rinse only touchless tunnel wash.

With that in mind, there is no way I`d expect this product to last the claimed 7 years on this car and given past experiences with this car and a variety of coatings (the hood has had 5 coatings since I purchased car new in June 2017, and the car itself has had 3 different coatings on the entire surface) I`d say if it hits 2 years, it will have done well. The overall best combo I`ve had on this vehicle was Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM 1.0, (rated at 24-36 months) which made it to 2 years, 42k miles before fading on the vertical sides of the vehicle. The vehicle is driven less in the Summer now though so perhaps 3 years is possible. As a point of reference, the same Miyabi + ISM 1.0 combo was still at 85% `as applied` on my wife`s daily/Winter car when I removed it after 3 years but only 17k, mostly non-freeway miles. Longevity, like many things in my world is highly fluid and any claims or predictions are subject to a variety of factors.

I won`t be throwing degreasers, APC`s or other such `torture test` nonsense at it as, well, I don`t often run into that kinda stuff on the road. And at the end of the day, I`m just too lazy to do something I find of dubious value anyway w/ regards to real life situations.

The ceramics I`ve settled on after searching for 4 years have been able to take this abuse and still clean up nicely each Spring, maintaining claimed longevity and performance (with consideration given to usage; for me, mileage has been a far greater barometer of LSP longevity than any time-based expectations listed on the box).

Application: So after prepping and compounding/polishing the surfaces that were getting the Ethos Ceramic Matrix Coating, I wiped down once with Kleen Strip Prep-All and then wiped down 2 more times with Ethos Detox, a panel wipe that I quite enjoyed using. It wasn`t as grabby as some other panel wipes I`ve used. It had a nice scent (irrelevant to functionality but a nice plus to any product), went on smooth and easy and cleaned up the panels without much overall effort.

I used a 3x5 thin Autofiber Coating Saver Applicator which did quite well in spreading it evenly. Applied exactly as noted in directions, allowing about 1.25 hours between the 2 layers. Application temperature in my garage was about 72 degrees F.

Application instructions from Ethos Website:

HOW TO APPLY
    Make sure the surface has been completely cleaned and decontaminated with Ethos Detox. The cleaner the surface, the better the bond!

1. Shake bottle well.

2. Apply a few drops of Graphene Matrix onto your applicator until evenly covered.

3. Starting with horizontal / top surfaces first, applying in straight lines slightly overlapping from one line to the next. Work in small areas approximately 3`x3` or the size of a door or half a hood at a time. Temperature and humidity will determine coverage areas allowable between application and removal.

4. Applicators should glide smoothly on the surface while laying down an even layer of coating. If the applicator starts to drag or the application becomes inconsistent, apply additional drops to the applicator.

5. Immediately after application, you will notice a “Rainbow Effect” (More prevalent on dark colors) while the applied coating bonds to the surface. Roughly 1-3 min after application, the "Rainbowing" will start to turn into a haze/fog, this means the coating is ready for removal. (Temperature and humidity will expedite the flash time. Test a small area first before continuing onto the rest of the vehicle)

6. Using premium microfiber towels (Preferably our Utility Towels), thoroughly wipe down the section to remove the Graphene Coating residue. Your first wipe should remove about 80% of the residue, and your second wipe should easily remove the remainder. Use small, circular motions and little to no pressure during removal.

7. IMPORTANT: Be sure to check adjacent panels to make sure you haven`t "pushed" excess coating to other areas. (We recommend using a flashlight or smartphone light for inspection to make sure every bit of residue is gone. If you fail to remove all of the residue during the flash time, it will become a dark spot once it cures and can require polishing or compounding to remove) So be thorough and continue to check your work before moving onto the next step.

8. Repeat these steps as you move along the rest of your vehicle. Coating the paint, plastics, trim and glass surfaces in the same manner. When layering one hour minimum is required between coats.

9. Let the coating fully dry/cure for at least 48 hours before allowing it to get wet. The longer it stays dry the better, as it will continue to cure for about 5 days (you CAN drive the car during this time).

The car will remain in the garage, out of the elements for about 52 hours, much to the dismay of my beloved Cayman which has to sit outside for the next 2 days. After 8hrs it was beginning to accumulate some Nature debris so this is an small indication of what Ethos Graphene will have to deal with going forward. And given the fact that many of our trees are oak trees (which don`t give up the last of their leaves until early December) the car will likely be covered with leaves, then snowed on, then perhaps have the leaves frozen to the surface...it`s not an easy life.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-graphenecayman.jpg

Overall thoughts on application: Application was a breeze, it`d be hard to mess this one up. At 72 degrees F, the sweet spot was around 3 minutes between application and removal. The coating itself has a nice consistency which makes it apply evenly and it`s very easy to see where it was applied which was important in this case as application instructions included with the product note to apply in single, slightly overlapping passes w/ no cross-hatching. It was a *very* enjoyable coating to use. While Kamikaze Miyabi is still the easiest coating to apply that I have used (w/ Gtechniq CSL and 22ple HPC close on its heels) the Graphene Matrix coating easily takes a place in the top 5 of all I have used w/ regards to ease of application, likely even surpassing CSL in that area. It`s VERY easy to get an even coat down and somehow oddly enjoyable. Removal goes exactly according to the instructions, with the rainbow effect turning into a slight hazing when ready to remove. All that is needed for removal is a very light touch with the towel on the first pass (I used a Rag Company 300gsm edgeless for the first pass, followed by an edgeless 350gsm for the final pass/cleanup) and cleanup on the 2nd/final pass took little effort whatsoever.

The feel of the surface is quite nice as well, not as slick as SPS Graphene, Gyeon Syncro, CarPro Gliss or Polish Angel Rapidwaxx (yeah, I know that`s a spray wax but it had one of the most alluring feels to it of anything I`ve ever used; not the slickest but something about it just screamed `touch me` which, OK...is really kinda weird but it is what it is Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...) but likely slicker than Gtechniq CSL. It`s a very smooth surface and overall, a pleasing attribute although functionally, I`m not sure what role slickness plays w/ regards to effectiveness.

The appearance/gloss is not quite as overt/sharp as SPS Graphene or something like Feynlab Ceramic but it`s quite nice in a slightly less blatant, perhaps more `rich` kinda way; very pleasing and the look sorta matches the feel of it although why I think that I really can`t define, it just kinda makes sense in my oft-troubled mind. The combination of the look and feel is quite pleasing overall.

Graphene or not, it was a real treat to use, no stress, no worries.

Much like the SPS Graphene I used last year, it is a dark liquid which will leave some color on the removal towels, especially the initial 300gsm one. It`s a very slight discoloration in spots which doesn`t really bother me much as I toss the towels when done w/ a coating. I used to throw in a bucket w/ APC for use as wheel/door jamb, general use towels but I have so many of those it just ain`t worth the trouble anymore. I made it through each layer using a single `set` of towels although had I done the entire car, I woulda grabbed another `set` once done with the roof/ trunk lid and hood on each layer. It stained the applicator pad far more than the towels which, well, that`s to be expected as it`s getting the raw product right outta the bottle.

The next morning the applicator was crispy as it is with many coatings but I`m really not convinced that`s an indication of anything; 2 of my favorite and best performing coatings don`t crisp up the applicator and they have been kickin` ass and takin` names for me since 2016 (Kamikaze ISM 1.0 and Zipang, although their Miyabi product does leave a crispy, stiff applicator so, well...who knows. I think that`s how it goes anyway)

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-graphenesupplies.jpg

While it`s hard to tell given the dark bottle the product comes in, the Graphene Matrix Coating is indeed a dark liquid, just like the SPS Graphene. I drew some off and put in a clean, clear bottle which I will leave undisturbed on the shelf for a few months; the SPS Graphene settled out into 2 distinct layers after sitting for 2-3 months (like oil and vinegar in salad dressing) with about 85% clear liquid on the top layer and 15% dark liquid on the bottom if I remember correctly. Not sure exactly what that means, perhaps absolutely nothing, but I`ll watch it nonetheless; entertainment is where ya find it, no?

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-grapheneclearbottle.jpg

So that`s where we`re at now...I`ll watch this and update it going forward as things progress. It`s gonna take a tough customer to survive on my car longer than a year or 2 given how the car is used, how it spends most of its life outside and the limited maintenance I give it. I`ve found `my` ceramics that can handle it, we`ll see if this one can too, graphene or not. I didn`t top/maintain the SPS Graphene with anything from the May - December period after application, adding occasional top-up`s with their Graphene Detailer (and *excellent* and versatile product, by the way) from December until I removed in May of 2020. I`ve ordered a small bottle of Ethos Defy to use with this coating. I`ll likely only apply this to one of the 3 panels I coated (roof, hood or trunk lid) so I can see if that makes any difference in overall performance.

We`ll see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Coleroad, Ancient_1, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The article is a proper gem budget, hopefully you see some tall beads like what has been shown online
    Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the test. Appreciate you spending your time and money doing this for us.

Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread Information