Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    So you just [did more than most companies would ever do over the whole life of a work vehicle]
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts... Yeah...I just HAD to do sumthin` when a new assembly of test panels rolled in.

Heck, I didnt even know I had a nearly full bottle of Moonlight, thought I sent it off to someone last Summer. The Moonlight was hiding in the CanCoat package in the back of my cabinet. The decision kinda made itself. Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

It`ll be properly done in off season w a proven favorite I`d guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NO REALLY...I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!! Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    CQ Lite is definitely more durable. I can see it side by side that it is. Lite has a 1.5 year claim. That is a little inside tidbit. Does not feel as thick/heavy as Cquartz UK.

Unless you try it you won`t know. Cquartz Lite is actually more hydrophobic. It has a contact angle of 110 degrees where as CanCoat is 100 degrees. Cquartz lite is based on the CQUK 3.0 formula and it does on thicker than CanCoat. I have a friend who is a pro detailer and he gets about 8 cars with Lite. Slickness is overrated when it comes to coatings. As long as it does the job it is not a deal breaker. Look at the success Sonax has with CC36, PNS and BSD that have no slickness to it.
    cancoat is good and easy to use via towel method but CQ lite goes on with crosshatch and is more durable from cars coming back experience plus better water behavior. Grabbyness never bothered me

Post Thanks / Like

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    cancoat is good and easy to use via towel method but CQ lite goes on with crosshatch and is more durable from cars coming back experience plus better water behavior. Grabbyness never bothered me
    Funny how products work, different environments, paints weather, maybe even installer. For 6 months i would say water behavior was better than my cquk3. Know its not lite but same chemistry. Of course the cquk3 veat it in longevity but 6 months is claims of both lite and CC. Both will last longer.

Also thought gloss was better. Cquartz darkened better. Cquk3 with cancoat on top was winner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts... Yeah...I just HAD to do sumthin` when a new assembly of test panels rolled in..
    Heh heh, oh you crazy Autopian you The boss must love ya!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is six Autofiber thin microfiber coating applicators going to be enough to do two coats of HPC on an average size sedan? I had planned on applying the coating in June or July but one thing led to another, and it`s looking like Labor Day weekend, weather permitting so I`m not dying of heat in my garage, I`ll finally have everything in order to correct the paint and apply the coating.

I hope with switching sides every few panels six will be enough assuming I don`t make any dump mistakes and drop one (or two). It might just be smart to order another six just in case because I`m sure I`ll find uses for the extras.

Is it easy to tell when it`s time to switch to a new side?

Post Thanks / Like

As long as your applicator is clean you can keep on going. 22ple coatings don`t tend to cure on the applicator that fast. Are they the small ones or the big ones?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Gridlink thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gridlink View Post
    Is six Autofiber thin microfiber coating applicators going to be enough to do two coats of HPC on an average size sedan? I had planned on applying to coating in June or July but one thing led to another, and it`s looking like Labor Day weekend, weather permitting so I`m not dying of heat in my garage, I`ll finally have everything in order to correct the paint and apply the coating.

I hope with switching sides every few panels six will be enough assuming I don`t make any dump mistakes and drop one (or two). It might just be smart to order another six just in case because I`m sure I`ll find uses for the extras.

Is it easy to tell when it`s time to switch to a new side?
    6 will be MORE than enough, especially if the 3x5 ones. I just tend to flip sides half way thru a coat when they start to get grabby. You`ll likely only use 1 per coat, maybe 2 at most (4 sides).

Like Guz says, 22ple doesn`t load up too much, not a very viscous coating and lotsa working time.
    Thanks Gridlink thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, upon suggestion from a few months ago I bought the 3x5 thin applicators. Glad to hear the six will be more than enough.

I`m looking forward to finally getting the correction and protection done after having to put it off for so long. I still have to wait another 4-6 weeks for the paint on my hood and bumper to cure, but I can at least do the rest of the car in the meantime. It`s a good thing I didn`t do the rest of the car before the repainting because I noticed some sanding marks on panels that were adjacent and over spray on my windshield (easily removed with a clay bar). Shame it took so long to get the panels repainted but things being as they are it was inevitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno why i did it...but I did *sigh*

Figr’d I may as well give this a go on my daily driver, not only to see how the Ethos Graphene Coating works overall but also to see how it compares to SPS. Kinda curious to see if a few specific positive attributes I found with SPS carry over to Ethos which *may* indicate some consistency with graphene products. Or may not…who knows. Well, I guess I will in about a year or so but for now it’s all conjecture.

While I removed the SPS and re-coated my daily driver (2017 Honda Accord V6 Coupe) and re-coated with Kamikaze ISM 2.0, figr’d I could spare my hood and trunk lid for the Ethos so I’ll be polishing the ISM 2.0 off of those areas and applying 2 coats of the Ethos.

When I did ISM 2.0 there was a stain on the trunk lid, which came off w/ a bit more aggressive approach than I was using for rest of car. Checked it with Scangrip lights, penlight, so on and so forth and it was gone. Checked again right before coating it and it was not there. Coated it (polish and coating done in garage at about 74 degrees F) and then after 48hrs stuck it outside in the 90+ degree F sun for a few days. And the stain re-appeared.

ISM 2.0 was a pretty cantankerous coating to work with, knew that going in. One of those "Work in 18" x 18" section, apply and immediately remove, single slightly overlapping pass, no cross-hatch application" and it went really well, started with roof, then moved to trunk, then both sides of car and left the hood for last. By the time I got to the hood I was pretty pleased w myself, much patting myself on the back at how proficient I was w/ a `difficult` coating...Pride cometh before a fall.

Started with bigger sections on hood, cross-hatched a few larger sections, got lost a bit with sections so it ended up being a bit, uh...uneven. I guess in this case directions are meant to be followed. Doh! So since I was gonna have to re-do hood and trunk anyway, figr`d to try something new.

FWIW, the correctly applied ISM 2.0 is quite nice, kinda brings the words `velvety darkness` to my mind for some unknown reason. A bit glossier then ISM 1.0 but still some nice depth, also kinda `thick` looking like 22ple HPC always looked to me, perhaps `molten gloss` is a good way to describe it. I`m gonna use it again (and again until it becomes blindingly easy), single-layer with a bit more chemical resistance than ISM 1.0. Definitely gonna follow directions though...

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-ethos.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes tom p., The Guz, Gridlink liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol they got you. Let us know how you like it. I don`t know why Ethos gives me the vibe of a shady business.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Lol they got you. Let us know how you like it. I don`t know why Ethos gives me the vibe of a shady business.
    Yep, something seems a bit odd about `em, a few folks have mentioned it. What the heck, woulda had to buy some more ISM 2.0 cuz just can`t live with hood and that stain on trunk bothers me too...figrd this might be fun. I think it was their vid about "We`re a true graphene coating..." that mighta irked me enough to give it a try.

Lotsa coatings say 2x2 sections, wipe off immediately, etc but I could always get away with stretching sections, cross-hatching `em and still come out OK. Not ISM 2.0...a 3rd arm woulda been helpful if deviating from instructions even the slightest bit. Oddly entertaining though, bit of a challenge.

It also had a slight haze after leveling but it went away relatively quickly; I chased it for a bit at first before realizing it dissipated on own.

The hood and trunk lid of this car will be seeing its 5th coating since new in June 2017.

1000 miles w 22ple HPC, 42k miles w Kamikaze Miyabi & ISM 1.0, 16k miles w SPS Graphene, 1000 miles with Miyabi & ISM 2.0 and now Ethos. Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Methinks the clear ain`t got much more to give, especially at panel edges and raised accent lines. Eh, after over 60k miles, 95% on freeway, the hood looks like it`s been hit with buckshot numerous times; not enough DR Colorchip in 10 bottles to cover that up Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Methinks the clear ain`t got much more to give, especially at panel edges and raised accent lines. Eh, after over 60k miles, 95% on freeway, the hood looks like it`s been hit with buckshot numerous times; not enough DR Colorchip in 10 bottles to cover that up Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Really? With 5 polishes/recoats you think the 2017 Honda cc paint (albeit soft and probably thin to begin with) is already that close to the deathblow? have more faith.

I just polished the Acura paint for the 7th time... 9 times for the hood, roof trunk due to all the product tests... different aggressiveness polishing each time over the years but at least a few of them were pretty significant swirl removal. This was the car I learned to polish on. Super soft paint. Car is 16 years old with zero polishes in its first 11 years and living exclusively outside. I was getting nervous this most recent polish but no portions of it ended up with any concerning areas of potential failure on the horizon.

If nothing else, hopefully this post cheers you up for the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Really? With 5 polishes/recoats you think the 2017 Honda cc paint (albeit soft and probably thin to begin with) is already that close to the deathblow? have more faith.

I just polished the Acura paint for the 7th time... 9 times for the hood, roof trunk due to all the product tests... different aggressiveness polishing each time over the years but at least a few of them were pretty significant swirl removal. This was the car I learned to polish on. Super soft paint. Car is 16 years old with zero polishes in its first 11 years and living exclusively outside. I was getting nervous this most recent polish but no portions of it ended up with any concerning areas of potential failure on the horizon.

If nothing else, hopefully this post cheers you up for the day?
    Not so concerned w majority of panels but the sharp edges are likely getting a bit thin. Will probably go very light on those. 2 layers of Miyabi + 1 of ISM 2.0 will likely come off w Rupes yellow and Sonax PF, maybe UroFiber pad but will be watchful.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not so concerned w majority of panels but the sharp edges are likely getting a bit thin. Will probably go very light on those. 2 layers of Miyabi + 1 of ISM 2.0 will likely come off w Rupes yellow and Sonax PF, maybe UroFiber pad but will be watchful.
    Yeah as I mentioned awhile back, the Acura hood is pretty speckled with paint chips as well. And as far as your clear on edges, I forgot that you have top notch polishers. I’m only equipped with a GG6 and PC, so I’m not sure I’ll have to ever be worried about cc failure until I upgrade. I’m excited if I can even keep pad rotation on sharp edges, a far cry from being concerned about thin paint on those.

Post Thanks / Like

Has me interested budget. When first looking into graphene Ethos was the least known brand to be and I was not very trusting or interested but all those YouTube videos with tall beading and how fast the water was clearing the panels has caused me to do a 180. Will be cool to see how this one turns out. If it maintains the tall beading and water clearing action for 1 year I might be interested. I know they state 5 years but kinda hard to listen to someone who is trying to sell you something.

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread Information