Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161753 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

I agree with you. Between Cure, OverCoat, testing 22PLE, I`ll probably never know about durability because I always have something to put on the next time. OverCoat has off-the-planet beading, but here in AZ, it doesn`t rain, so I tend to focus on gloss and durability.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great info here! Thanks for posting.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great summary. Thanks for posting your thoughts on this matter.

I haven`t tried Kamikaze coatings other than overcoat, but I have tried Mohs, and I agree with your thoughts on this. After having used Gtechniq, Pinnacle, 22PLE, Wolfgang, TAC, and PA, I think Mohs was the best all around. I have a bottle of TAC Prime that I haven`t tried yet and hope to soon.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

GYEON Mohs Update after 8 months...

Gyeon Mohs – 2011 Ford Ranger, Bright Red
    Applied 2 layers, Feb 20, 2017
    Topped with Gyeon Cure, Feb 21 2017
    Mileage since application approx 12K miles
    Maintenance since application: None; no washing, no topping, no nuthin’
    Vehicle sits outside pretty much 24hrs a day, Fleet Truck for seasonal pool company. Driven/used by staff, generally treated worse than a rental car.

Finally brought truck home to wash/check it all out. Truck has stayed clean and good looking throughout the 8 month period, among the best of the ones I was watching at staying clean.

Upon initially rinsing with hose, it appeared that ALL beading was gone from horizontal surfaces. Water just laid flat on hood and roof. To the touch, surface felt like it had no LSP of any type on it, no slickness whatsoever. A few bird bombs on hood rinsed off with a little pressure from hose. Vertical surfaces (fenders, doors and bedsides) still maintained what appeared to be slight hydrophobic behavior and just a slight amount of beading.

One area that appeared to still have initially coating present/water behavior was a small triangle below each side view mirror, first thought being that the small area was always shaded by side-view mirror…I dunno but it was a distinct triangular area on both doors directly below the mirror that looked like coating had been recently applied with respect to water behavior.

Baggie test felt like much contamination, very gritty. So, decided to try a few things:

1. Foam bath with Chem Guys Honeydew Snow Foam Cleanser at about 1:5 dilution with a MTM PF22 Foam Cannon, SunJoe SPX3001 1.76 GPM, 2030 PSI pressure washer. Let foam dwell for recommended time, 3 or 4 minutes and then rinsed with pressure washer. No apparent change to surface.

2. Bucket wash with Gyeon Bathe and then dry…No apparent change to surface.

3. Decon with Sonax Fallout Cleaner, saw a bit of bleeding, applied, and agitated with foam applicator pad, let dwell, rinsed with pressure washer. Bucket wash with Gyeon Bathe, dried…no apparent change to surface visually but baggie test showed about 75% reduction in surface contaminants…perhaps even a bit more.

4. Clayed very lightly with Nanoskin Fine Grade Clay mitt during another bucket wash with Gyeon Bathe, rinse and dry. Baggie test indicated very smooth surface but water behavior and feel of dry paint was unchanged…still felt/acted like no LSP was on surface. Nanoskin also left no marring for whatever that’s worth.

Generally the truck has been used and abused over the last 12K miles/8 months. Has the Gyeon Mohs held up? While it appears that the coating is gone (lack of water behavior and slickness, aside from the 2 spots under the mirrors), why does the truck always look clean and shiny? I dunno. Also, since claying with Nanoskin left no marring, is the coating still there at some level providing some protection to marring? I noticed some round stains prior to washing that indicated cups/cans/bottles were set there at some point, they easily removed during wash and tar on the rocker panels came off with much less effort than on non-protected vehicle, what gives? Again, I dunno. After using Booster, I think it might be a nice addition to a Mohs application. Doing a relatively new white Ford 150 w/ Mohs in a few weeks, think I’ll add the Booster just for fun after 2 layers of Mohs.

Anyway, I figured what the heck and after the above washing and decon I applied two coats of Gyeon CanCoat topped with an application of Gyeon Booster 12hrs later. Truck looks great again.

Other items of note:

Gyeon Foam > Chem Guys Honeydew Snow Foam, albeit more expensive

Gyeon CanCoat: Where have you been all my life? For a quick application of some protection, this stuff is just great. Applied to entire truck in about 10 minutes, great look, slick…no runs, no streaking. If this stuff lasts for even 3 months with somewhat regular maint. and the surface protection is somewhat solid, why this stuff is more popular I can’t understand. If this kinda thing woulda been available back when I was only semi-ocd about my cars, what a great option it woulda been. Due to its relatively low cost, easy application, great looks why mess around with stuff like sealants if this is available? Because of its low cost and relatively shorter lifespan, I could see applying this to a vehicle after decon/clay with no paint correction (if clay left no marring), much like many do with sealants/waxes but with the added protection of a coating. If this stuff woulda been around when I was a Zaino disciple, I woulda been far better off using it and get far better protection and self-cleaning behavior.

Gyeon Booster: This was almost as much fun (and similar low effort application) as the CanCoat. It’s a product that must be applied with a little faith and attention to ‘feel’. It flashes so quickly that you’re kinda going on faith as to where it has/has not been applied although the slickness it added immediately to surface gave another good indication as well. It added a nice bit of gloss and after letting cure for two days throwing a cup of water at the hood resulted in nice beads, most of which rolled right off the hood. The North American Gyeon rep indicated that Mohs + Booster is essentially a ‘consumer version’ of the pro-only Gyeon Durabead product, albeit slightly less ‘substantial’. I like it…kinda pricey, though. Ended up getting the Ranger covered with about 15-20ml of Booster.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GYEON Mohs Update after 8 months...

I`m loving on CanCoat as well.

I am 10.5 months in with CanCoat as my LSP. Holding up extremely well. Hoping to make to 12months. Then I will share all the images I have taken over the year. I do monthly maintenance and that is about it. Which is a wash and then aqua wax as a drying aid.

I will say at the 10th month wash I did notice the lower part of the fenders and driver door beading has all but stopped. Upper panels and horizontal surfaces still bead like crazy.

Daily driver driven 73-75miles round trip. Garaged at night.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CSL & Cquartz Update

As the season is winding down, getting a closer look at some of the vehicles coated last winter/spring.

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (topped with Liquid Crystal C2V3 after application)
    - Looks like it has been driven about 13K miles since application last January/February (I think...around that time anyway)
    - Probably spent about 1/3 of that time parked inside warehouse at night, otherwise sat outside 24/7
    - Tech says he ran thru touchless wash, soap and spray only, perhaps 2 or 3 times this summer

This was kinda an odd one; I really liked it at application time, darkened the paint a bit, glossy, good looks...to me, it actually had the appearance of being a `hard` coating if that even makes any kind of sense. I was thinking at the time it was gonna be one of my favorites but once it started being used, the vehicle was among the worst at self cleaning ability...lots water spots after rain. However, after about 3 months it started keeping itself cleaner and now is consistently one of the cleaner vehicles among the ones I did. There are indications of water spots in the paint, even after I wiped it down with a bit of ONR...they seem to be etched (maybe stained is a better word) but only to the point where they`d likely come of with a light to medium polish. Don`t wanna give up on Gtechniq so if boredom sets in, I still really want to try the CSL + EXO combo sometime this winter. I`d guess the EXO would provide the hydrophobic/self-cleaning behavior that CSL alone lacked and prevent the staining from water spots. I really like the Gtechniq packaging which sometimes is enough to make me wanna try a product...silly but it is what it is. Forgot to to baggies test on this before he left for the day. Anyway, can`t tell much but below is a shot of the hood:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-csl.jpg

Cquartz `Classic` (or whatever it`s called, not the UK version; topped with Gyeon Cure after application)

- Looks like it has been driven about 14K miles since application last January
    - Probably spent about little to no of that time parked inside, sat outside 24/7
    - Tech says never washed all summer long

First impression is that the Cquartz provided a little more protection against environmental marring/staining. No visible water spotting like the bare CSL. Truck stayed reasonably clean during the past few months. Baggie test indicates very, very fine contaminants on surface. Considered the Cquartz to be a middle/lower middle contender in all this but it`s kinda moved up the chain a bit due to lack of staining on paint and very light contamination. This truck (like most of them) saw a lot of miles this Spring/Summer, likely 50-60% freeway miles. Tech that had this van had some had some far-out jobs that needed attention each week. Overall more impressed with the Cquartz than I though I would be at the end of this.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-cquartz.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. I thought I read that C2V3 was prone to spotting? Maybe I am confusing it with Exo V2.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice info. I`ve been researching coatings & documenting things that are important to me and at this time I`m leaning towards the Crystal Serum Light + EXOv3 for my car next year so I`m glad to hear that CSL is doing well. Hopefully the EXOv3 will greatly reduce water spots.

ks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    Nice info. I`ve been researching coatings & documenting things that are important to me and at this time I`m leaning towards the Crystal Serum Light + EXOv3 for my car next year so I`m glad to hear that CSL is doing well. Hopefully the EXOv3 will greatly reduce water spots.

ks
    Yeah, the CSL was/is kinda wierd; top contender after application, slipped to near the bottom once out in the wild, slowly and quietly climbing back up the ranks. Cquartz currently in better shape even though likely sat outside more all summer.

Cquartz driver took vehicle home every night, left out in driveway, lotsa freeway miles. CSL tech more suburban driving, vehicle back inside warehouse probably 30% of the time at night.

Cquartz is just kinda consistently and quietly `good` as far as performance goes.

After the Mohs peculiarities, I`m really not answering many questions with this entire escapade.

Recent additions I`m watching now are Gyeon CanCoat + Gyeon Booster on one, Gloss Shop Ceramic on the other so there`s always something going on.

Still wanna find something decent to try CSL + EXO on; there`s just something intangible about the Gtechniq brand that appeals to me.
    Likes KEVINS, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My vehicle is a semi-show car that comes out on nice days many times a month and the coating feature that I`m really interested in is the durability against minor scratches if dust is lightly wiped off using a MF towel. I JUST finished painting and polishing a new hood over the weekend and Monday I drove it to work only to have it get rained on. So while the rain drops were on the car I very, VERY lightly wiped the water off the hood only to find out the MF towel scratched the crap out of the paint. I repolished the hood last night but it`s simple issues like this that I`m trying to prevent using a good coating. I had two of those brand MF towels that are now delegated to grease rags only and will NEVER touch the paint again..aarrgg...

I can`t wait to hear the long term results of CSL+EXOv3 on something.

ks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post

I can`t wait to hear the long term results of CSL+EXOv3 on something.

ks
    I think member 512Detail has been watching some CSL/EXO for a while now...

Holy sheet: EXO v CSL v CSL w/EXO - A longevity test
    Likes KEVINS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some lucky fleet vehicles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Those are some lucky fleet vehicles!
    It was certainly nice to have vehicles to test this stuff on but I`m nearly out of Ford Rangers that are in decent enough shape to test on and, after last winter, I`m not sure I got many more of these vans left in me to compound/correct/coat; Flex, Rupes...lotsa space to cover regardless of machine and all need 2 steps to make `em "coatable" and usually takes 50ml to get 2 layers on them. Getting up to do the roofs *really* sucks. Also becomes kinda expensive just to satisfy my curiosity...

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-van1.jpgThink I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-van2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

You need to retest everything on Black vehicles. It seems all people are concerned with is water beading but I want to see scratch/marring tests and the best way to see results are on Black.. You should sell everything you have then test them in Black..

ks

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161753 ... LastLast

Thread Information