Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Thanks Chris your general location really helps when giving advice. My weather here in S. GA has been almost perfect this week. Low 70’s and mid 40 percent humidity. I could easily coat a vehicle outdoors in this type of weather if I had to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some rain today:

CSL + EXOV4 - First rain since application:
    https://youtu.be/jn4qLg_JLJE

Kamikaze at 37K miles:
    https://youtu.be/rLGbbQRSGJs

CQuartz UK 3.0 x 2, Gliss V3 x 1:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-cq-uk.jpg

Granted, the red vehicles are just initial thoughts based upon sitting out in rain but have to say I`m a little underwhelmed by the movement of beads on the EXOV4 topped vehicle. Totally unscientific but hitting with a shot of air, Kamikaze and CQ UK cleared a spot best and EXOV4 offered the most resistance as far as beads moving around the surface. Have heard how crazy the EXOV4 water behavior is and maybe vehicle characteristics will change when moving but I was expecting something like fresh application of Gyeon Syncro like performance from EXO given it`s reputation.

Time will tell...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    [...] Granted, the red vehicles are just initial thoughts based upon sitting out in rain but have to say I`m a little underwhelmed by the movement of beads on the EXOV4 topped vehicle. Totally unscientific but hitting with a shot of air, Kamikaze and CQ UK cleared a spot best and EXOV4 offered the most resistance as far as beads moving around the surface. Have heard how crazy the EXOV4 water behavior is and maybe vehicle characteristics will change when moving but I was expecting something like fresh application of Gyeon Syncro like performance from EXO given it`s reputation. [...]
    If I`m remembering correctly sliding angle isn`t exactly correlated with contact angle. Meaning you can have a bead that sits very tall but doesn`t roll off as easily when you tilt the surface (or blast it with air).
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding sliding angle vs contact angle dr Beasley’s has released a series of blog posts on this topic. It has very interesting information and they state sliding angle is the most important factor of a coating for self cleaning and reduction of water spots. I wish every coating would have the contact and sliding angle listed, I believe dr Beasley’s is the only one who lists both. Not posting links to the articles but they are easily searchable on their website. I would like to hear discussions on people’s thoughts on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    If I`m remembering correctly sliding angle isn`t exactly correlated with contact angle. Meaning you can have a bead that sits very tall but doesn`t roll off as easily when you tilt the surface (or blast it with air).
    Nice water contact angles are fun to look at but primarily interested in how the beads slide off...thought theyd be sliding off a bit better with EXOV4.

As for beads, today`s rain provided some entertainment regardless:

CQ UK 3 + Gliss:

Kamikaze Zipang

Kami Miyabi/ISM
    Likes glfnaz, capnsharpe, SWETM, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Despite getting 2" of snow Sunday morning, another season of vehicle abuse begins. Some of the 2017 applications nearing the end, maybe squeak another season outta `em but we`ll see going forward. If they look weak, will just wash `em and slap some CanCoat on them and that`ll get us thru the summer if past experiences are any indication.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-2019-.jpg

Still `existing`:

• Kamikaze Miyabi + Zipang + Overcoat, Applied 02/2019
    • Gtechniq CSL + EXO V4, , Applied 02/2019
    • 22ple VXPRO2 + Finitura + Vs1 Final Coat, Applied 02/2019
    • CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 + Gliss V2, Applied 02/2019
    • Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, Infinity Wax x 1, Overcoat applied 02/08/2018.
    • Feynlab Ceramic + TopCoat applied 02/02/2018
    • Gyeon Syncro applied 01/26/2018
    • The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2, applied 03/14/2018
    • Nanolex Si3D + SiFinish applied 03/08/2018
    • 22ple HPC + VS1 Final Coat applied March 2017, refresh 01/2017 w/ 22ple glass coat clay, 22ple Finitura & 22ple VS1 Final Coat
    • Cquartz TiO2 & Gyeon Cure applied 01/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + IGL Premier refresh 10/2017
    • Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017
    • Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017.
    • Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2 applied 10/2017.
    • Pearl Nano applied 03/2017.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Budget,

Did you see the recent video posted by Kamikaze Collection on Overcoat 3.0? I`m still going through my stock of 1.0 lol. Is the window application new for 3.0 or was that in 2.1? I know my 1.0 has on the bottle not to apply onto windows.

https://youtu.be/x49o7f15018
    Likes PantherShark, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saber732 View Post
    Budget,

Did you see the recent video posted by Kamikaze Collection on Overcoat 3.0? I`m still going through my stock of 1.0 lol. Is the window application new for 3.0 or was that in 2.1? I know my 1.0 has on the bottle not to apply onto windows.

https://youtu.be/x49o7f15018
    Saw that, not sure what to make of it but don`t ever recall seeing/reading anything of that nature regarding Overcoat before.

"Chemical reaction by water flow"?

Guess we`ll just have to wait and see what the deal is, just never know. Overcoat 2.1 kinda had a short lifespan. Think I`ll be waiting for a bit more clarity Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never could tell the difference between 1.0 and 2.0 so I decided to mix them together. They still look great. I never thought about applying them to glass. Maybe I’ll pickup some 3.0 when (if) Esoteric gets it. I haven’t bought anything in awhile...
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Regarding sliding angle vs contact angle dr Beasley’s has released a series of blog posts on this topic. It has very interesting information and they state sliding angle is the most important factor of a coating for self cleaning and reduction of water spots. I wish every coating would have the contact and sliding angle listed, I believe dr Beasley’s is the only one who lists both. Not posting links to the articles but they are easily searchable on their website. I would like to hear discussions on people’s thoughts on this subject.
    Color me dumb but wouldn’t contact angle and sliding angle (never heard of this before) be the same or similar? If the water is not contacting the surface I would expect it to slide off. I’m still waiting for someone to buy Beasly’s $500 Coating and review it. It’s “on sale” for $425 in the clearance bin on AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Color me dumb but wouldn’t contact angle and sliding angle (never heard of this before) be the same or similar? If the water is not contacting the surface I would expect it to slide off. I’m still waiting for someone to buy Beasly’s $500 Coating and review it. It’s “on sale” for $425 in the clearance bin on AG.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RyH_fCSNKtg

Check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You`d be surprised. I used to work with water repellent fabrics and contact angle and sliding angle were distinct ASTM tests. Treatments with the highest contact angle didn`t always have the lowest sliding angle. It`s not like a steel bead where if it`s perfectly round it`s going to roll.

The other thing is water repellency and oil repellency were different tests. Just because you have great water repellency doesn`t automatically mean the same for oil. This is rarely talked about in detailing land which is unfortunate because oil is usually a lot harder to clean. Not a perfect metaphor but what would you rather get on your shirt, a splash of orange juice or a splash of motor oil? OJ I bet you get a fair bit off just by dunking your shirt in water. Motor oil, good luck without detergents.

If I could design my own sealant/coating I`d be prioritizing oil repellency at the expense of a little water contact angle if I had to.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, BudgetPlan1, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information on sliding angle. This is exactly why I love this forum, it lets me be educated on coatings other than just application procedures. I’ve been trying to learn as much about coatings as possible and this is the first time I’ve ever even heard about sliding angle.

I’m aware of the oil vs water thing on coatings. Most of the top coatings will mention oil resistance. IGL talks a lot about their coatings being “oleophobic” and I agree it is more important than being hydrophobic, especially in the area of self cleaning. Self cleaning and marring resistance are much more important than hydrophobicity, imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, DetailZeus, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information on sliding angle. This is exactly why I love this forum, it lets me be educated...
    Same here!

Post Thanks / Like

A few follow up items/thoughts now that I`ve had a bit of time to watch recent `new to me` things.

1. Cquartz UK 3.0 & Gliss V2
    What a nice, reasonably priced, visually entertaining and well performing combo. Quick and easy to apply, stays looking good with little maintenance, if you like well-formed beads it`s really fun to look at. Had a thin layer of stone dust/concrete slurry running down the sides of the new F250 I used it on, dried on for a week, rinsed off nicely and still looking good. It`s a very nice gloss too. I like it.

2. Gtechniq CSL + EXOV4
    The application was one of the most satisfying I`ve ever done, especially the CSL with the incredibly light touch on initial removal. Looks are very nice, not overdone but have to say I`m a bit surprised at the self cleaning ability, it lack thereof. It does nicely but certainly not in the Kamikaze or 22ple league in that respect.

It (EXO) has such a reputation for stellar water behavior that maybe my expectations were too high; I`m just not that taken by it. Longevity concerns aside as it`s too early to tell, but I`d rather use the CQ UK 3 + Gliss V2 than CSL + EXO. It`s not bad in any way, shape or form but my preferences apparently do not align with it`s strengths. Kinda a bummer cuz I really like Gtechniq product names and packaging, as irrelevant as that may be.

3. 22ple VXPRO2
    So far, I`ll stick with 22ple`s HPC offering. Maybe the VXPRO2 will excel in longevity but so far it appears that HPC is more to my liking. Application was very, very easy (as is HPC) but the excellent self-cleaning of HPC is only matched (but not exceeded) by the highest-level 22ple consumer offering, VXPRO2. HPC also seems to have a very slight` advantage in outright gloss to my eyes. It`s certainly an excellent product and the equal of HPC but, as of yet, does not exceed HPC in any fashion...except the additional $20 in cost.

4. Kamikaze Miyabi + Zipang.
    Mighta chose poorly on the vehicle I used it on. The new Transit Connect was assigned to a guy with no car of his own so I don`t really think I`m gonna get to see this vehicle much until the end of the Summer. It doesnt come to the shop but *maybe* once a week so hard to keep track of how it`s doing. When I did see it last week it was covered in bird bombs as apparently the guy lives/parks under power lines or other bird-friendly areas. Oops.

3 other little pleasing discoveries:

1. CarPro Reset...I think I like it better than my previous go-to, Gyeon Bathe. Seems to be a little stronger with no apparent ill-effects.

2. CarPro Eraser...I`m past my Gyeon Prep phase, sometimes I get the feeling it`s not as potent as some other panel wipes. Gtechniq PW is strong, as is Feynlab, but sometimes a bit grabby. Eraser seems like a nice, pleasant easy to use and non-offensive middle ground. Winner.

3. BigBoi Buddy air dryer...so small, maneuverable, well built and easy to use. Easily and quickly dries a car, almost just by waving your hand at it as it is so small in your hand. Fun, doesn`t take up much space and works well...its just `easy`.

Interesting stuff, always something to learn. Never really used too much CarPro stuff before but really enamored with their stuff I recently got to try.
    Likes The Guz, SWETM, Coatings=crack, tom p. liked this post

Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread Information