Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Thats really amazing seeing the diff with just a heat gun lol---I will def go that route!
    It`s definitely not 100% and common sense would indicate it can`t heal anything deeper than the thickness of the coating layer. Pics are at slightly different angles, best I could do while standing on a chair with scangrip pen in my mouth, heat gun in one hand and camera/phone in other hand but it`s a good representation of results.

So far the most surprising thing was how 4 days later, thru a cold snap, the diminishing of the swirls seemed to increase. Hot/Cold cycles have something to do with it in relation to the temperature of initial application? Dunno. I sent the vendor a rather lengthy review this morning with more specifics so it should be up on their website product page soon unless they find me completely batty with my assessment. Probably shoulda saved the text of it and re-posted here but didn`t think to copy/paste/save it. OOps.

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- I just noticed that you applied some FK1000P to one vehicle back in December! How`s that stuff holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good, all things considered. It`s a tremendous mess up here this winter...they seem to start slatheirng the roads with salt, brine and chemical de-icer at the slightest hint of snow so everything is a complete mess. I`ll give a closer look to the hood I did, think that guy is off this week so I can give it a quick bucket wash tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    BudgetPlan1- I just noticed that you applied some FK1000P to one vehicle back in December! How`s that stuff holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

So, finished up the Cquartz UK 3 w/ Gliss, the 22ple VXPRO@ + Finitura + VS1 and the Kamikaze Miyabi + Zipang + Overcoat.

Getting the last one ready, hope to compound/polish tomorrow and coat Friday with Gtechniq CSL + EXOV4. It`s new, only marks are from the decal guys squeegee so maybe get away with HD One on Rupes yellow with Flex. Nice thing about HD One is that it doesn`t seem to stain trim so I don`t gotta kill a roll or two of tape masking this thing off. Not to mention that taping...well, sucks.

Missing from this pic is the shortened dog leash I use to clip myself to the towmotor so I don`t wander too far off of the pallet. Used to have a nice pallet with railings on 3 sides but some wanker took it for a construction job. Safety first!
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-lastone.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes glfnaz, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have you used CSL yet? Anxious to hear your thoughts because I planned on using it instead of GlossCoat on my truck (that sits outside 24/7 through all the Connecticut weather)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used CSL topped with C2V3 back in winter 2017; the self cleaning was poor although it did get a little better a month or so in when I`m guessing the C2V3 wore off. Led it ride for remainder of 2017 then topped with Gyeon CanCoat which totally improved it. Van still looking good today so I`ll probably drop some CanCoat on it this Spring and let it run again. The CanCoat gave a nice candy bit of gloss to the underlying CSL which had a very rich look.

Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017.

Will be giving a new vehicle an application of CSL + EXOV4 this Friday if everything goes according to plan.

The Guz has mentioned that Gloss Coat is limited in longevity; I have no experience with it, just never `spoke` to me...

22ple HPC is one of the toughest coatings I have used, stands up nicely to fleet work where vehicles rarely inside and my wife`s winter driver is still doing great since Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM application in October 2016. It sits outside 85% the time although has only traveled about 12k since application. It would likely do just as well with 2 coats of Miyabi as well.

I do think that CSL is a pretty tough customer despite my disappointment with my initial experience. EXOV4 is supposed to transform that significantly for the better though. I`ll soon know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
    Have you used CSL yet? Anxious to hear your thoughts because I planned on using it instead of GlossCoat on my truck (that sits outside 24/7 through all the Connecticut weather)

Likes chrisexv6 liked this post
    Thanks chrisexv6 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    So, finished up the Cquartz UK 3 w/ Gliss, the 22ple VXPRO@ + Finitura + VS1 and the Kamikaze Miyabi + Zipang + Overcoat.

Getting the last one ready, hope to compound/polish tomorrow and coat Friday with Gtechniq CSL + EXOV4. It`s new, only marks are from the decal guys squeegee so maybe get away with HD One on Rupes yellow with Flex. Nice thing about HD One is that it doesn`t seem to stain trim so I don`t gotta kill a roll or two of tape masking this thing off. Not to mention that taping...well, sucks.

Missing from this pic is the shortened dog leash I use to clip myself to the towmotor so I don`t wander too far off of the pallet. Used to have a nice pallet with railings on 3 sides but some wanker took it for a construction job. Safety first!
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-lastone.jpg
    That forklift looks like it could use some Overcoat. Lol.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post

Gloss Coat’s pro is its ease of use. It’s not that durable. Used it on three cars. Two cars swerve daily drivers and both times Gloss Coat didn’t make it to the guaranteed 2 year claim. After my experience I no longer use it or recommend it.

CSL is easy to apply. It does retain its slickness and has that sealant like slickness. Don’t expect it to be as hydrophobic as some other coatings. Does a better job sheeting. Exo on top adds that tighter water beading and yet it retains that slickness. Really nice combo. I would go this route over Gloss Coat any day if the week.

Cquartz UK 3.0 has done well on my personal car for the last 8 months. Will make my final thoughts after 1 year of testing.

22ple VX Pro2 has been surprisingly good over these last two months on my dad’s car. The water beading is not as tight as CQUK 3.0 but it’s self cleaning characteristic is good. It just looks good. Also very forgiving in its usage.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Marine Clerk, chrisexv6 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That forklift looks like it could use some Overcoat. Lol.
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts... Even I have my limits.
    Likes SWETM, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Yes indeed, this winter is kinda revving up at present. It`ll be interesting to hear your take on how the FK is holding up given the Coatings you`re using on other stuff. I *still* keep thinking "that`s what I get with the FK" when I check out these coating threads, but hey I have, uhm...Accumulator-specific (subjective in the proper sense) reasons why I`ll be sticking with it anyhow. Still find the coating info interesting though Sounds perfect for a whole lotta people.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the appeal is for people who have little time and want good protection, spray, wipe, done.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great results. Thanks for sharing, I haven`t had time to experiment lately due to car trouble.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I realized I posted a question about CSL but never replied, sorry about that!

Thanks for the info. Ive been an OptiCoat "guy" since it came out, so it has always been my go-to. This time around Im definitely up for something different....was pretty disappointed when Opti went all consumer-ish and I couldnt get a higher end product since Im not a pro.

Love the idea of self-cleaning since my truck sits outside 24/7/365 and its white (well, when its clean it is!) Durability is key also, since I dont ever have the time I like to have to detail. Since the truck is white, looks arent really a huge deal....its hard to see swirls on it because the paint is so bright and shiny in the sun. I have corrected it the best I could with whatever light I could throw at it, so I dont doubt it will look spectacular with any coating.

Right now Im leaning towards 22ple HPC but since its not Opti, I might have to change up my prep process. I was using Optimum Hyperpolish and a white pad, then an IPA wipedown then GlossCoat apply.

Can I still get away with the Hyperpolish?

And I know IPA still works, but are there better wipedown products out there now? I always hated IPA wipedowns because I worry about marring the paint after all the time spent correcting it.

Is there a product that will help the HPC bond better? Kinda like a primer of sorts.

And finally, is VS1 Final Coat helpful for anything other than looks? Since my two priorities are self cleaning and durability, I dont want to interfere with those, even in the name of looks.

I liked the idea of CSL originally, but will have to look around more about its self-cleaning abilities (or lack thereof). Since Im "starting over", Id rather get what I want, if I can

Thanks again everyone.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    I realized I posted a question about CSL but never replied, sorry about that!

Thanks for the info. Ive been an OptiCoat "guy" since it came out, so it has always been my go-to. This time around Im definitely up for something different....was pretty disappointed when Opti went all consumer-ish and I couldnt get a higher end product since Im not a pro.

Love the idea of self-cleaning since my truck sits outside 24/7/365 and its white (well, when its clean it is!) Durability is key also, since I dont ever have the time I like to have to detail. Since the truck is white, looks arent really a huge deal....its hard to see swirls on it because the paint is so bright and shiny in the sun. I have corrected it the best I could with whatever light I could throw at it, so I dont doubt it will look spectacular with any coating.

Right now Im leaning towards 22ple HPC but since its not Opti, I might have to change up my prep process. I was using Optimum Hyperpolish and a white pad, then an IPA wipedown then GlossCoat apply.

Can I still get away with the Hyperpolish?

And I know IPA still works, but are there better wipedown products out there now? I always hated IPA wipedowns because I worry about marring the paint after all the time spent correcting it.

Is there a product that will help the HPC bond better? Kinda like a primer of sorts.

And finally, is VS1 Final Coat helpful for anything other than looks? Since my two priorities are self cleaning and durability, I dont want to interfere with those, even in the name of looks.

I liked the idea of CSL originally, but will have to look around more about its self-cleaning abilities (or lack thereof). Since Im "starting over", Id rather get what I want, if I can

Thanks again everyone.

-Chris
    Hyper polish is still a great polish to use prior to a coating. One of the best finishing polishes to use. It also wipes clean with a prep wipe.

If you are looking for an alternative then pick up a prep wipe like CarPro Eraser.

VS1 is 22ple`s maintenance spray sealant. It will act as the sacrificial layer if used regularly. It will leave protection and slickness.

22ple has their product called Activate which is their primer but the review I saw was not favorable. You could use with other primer polishes but I would recommend a prep wipe prior to applying the coating. I am using 22ple VX Pro2 with Shine Supply slick Back Primer Polish and I have not had any issues.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

how did you like slick back primer polish? does it have a long buffing cycle? did you do a wipe down afterwards?
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread Information