Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Keep me up to speed on this.

Just got my EliXir. So have Reload and that to compare with.

Picked up the Tangerine Hydro Tech pad plus the 22ple Clay.

Polishing is on the backburner right now as I have honey do`s to do.

But will eventually get back to it.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of Zipang limited self healing.

Looking forward to giving this a try soon, see if it works as well in my world as it does in their shop. Couldn`t figure out a way to link besides direct to Instagram, hopefully doesn`t violate forum rules.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrRAV9Ul...d=3sjgunknmwy6
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    A bit of Zipang limited self healing.

Looking forward to giving this a try soon, see if it works as well in my world as it does in their shop. Couldn`t figure out a way to link besides direct to Instagram, hopefully doesn`t violate forum rules.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrRAV9Ul...d=3sjgunknmwy6
    Dammit. Gotta stay of forums till I coat my car.......so awesome. If you have a little zipang left could you apply a little on the vehicle your gonna use CQUK3? I’m gonna use that as a base and don’t mind fork over the 3 bills if can get same results...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’m never going to keep my hands off my car for “self-healing” to work for me. I’m guessing that if you put any type of SiO2 topper over a self-healing coating then you can give up on self-healing. This is just a theory. If I was a coat it and forget it type then it might work. Self-healing sounds great in practice, but I’ll wait until the products have been on the market for awhile.

I believe IGL had a self-healing coating a few years ago and gave up on the technology. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this IGL reps.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Dammit. Gotta stay of forums till I coat my car.......so awesome. If you have a little zipang left could you apply a little on the vehicle your gonna use CQUK3? I’m gonna use that as a base and don’t mind fork over the 3 bills if can get same results...

That`s quite an interesting thought. If I have some leftover of both, perhaps I`ll pull one of the older trucks outta hibernation and give it a go. While I`m sure both vendor and mfg have vetted the Miyabi base, Zipang on top scenario pretty sure Zipang on top of another coating would be new territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m never going to keep my hands off my car for “self-healing” to work for me. I’m guessing that if you put any type of SiO2 topper over a self-healing coating then you can give up on self-healing. This is just a theory. If I was a coat it and forget it type then it might work. Self-healing sounds great in practice, but I’ll wait until the products have been on the market for awhile.

I believe IGL had a self-healing coating a few years ago and gave up on the technology. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this IGL reps.
    I`ve asked that of the vendor and it should be a non-issue...but seeing is believing so until my own eyeballs see it, I`ll reserve judgement on that point.

Product description notes:

"For maintaining Zipang Coat, we recommend washing the vehicle with a pH neutral shampoo like`Gyeon Bathe...then using`Kamikaze Overcoat every 4-6 washes. "

Additionally, as we plan on haven PPF applied to the entirety of wife`s new toy this Spring, I asked if the self healing characteristics of the PPF would be diminished by putting anything on top of it, including coatings, and was told that it would not interfere with PPF self healing characteristics.

I dont really understand how it wouldn`t but I guess we`ll see...I`m certainly no expert though but it just doesn`t make sense to me. We most likely wont be coating the PPF though so dunno how to prove/disprove that without getting myself into a "shoulda just left it alone" situation...again.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to see the self-healing effect under Overcoat myself. Overcoat is a stout topper, still looks perfect after3 months. IMO it would interfere with a coating until it wore off unless Overcoat self-heals too.

You can marr/scratch a coating, we have seen it done so the PPF while not being affected you would see the marring on the coating. Personally I’m not sure about coating PPF. I don’t think it would hurt but also not sure it helps. Maybe after the PPF gets older and you want to extend its life? PPF is out of my range of expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to see the self-healing effect under Overcoat myself. Overcoat is a stout topper, still looks perfect after3 months. IMO it would interfere with a coating until it wore off unless Overcoat self-heals too.

You can marr/scratch a coating, we have seen it done so the PPF while not being affected you would see the marring on the coating. Personally I’m not sure about coating PPF. I don’t think it would hurt but also not sure it helps. Maybe after the PPF gets older and you want to extend its life? PPF is out of my range of expertise.

Yeah, the whole limited self healing thing, be it PPF or a coating, is beyond my understanding at this point. I guess its gonna be an interesting few months ahead, more than just gloss, durability and self cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the whole limited self healing thing, be it PPF or a coating, is beyond my understanding at this point. I guess its gonna be an interesting few months ahead, more than just gloss, durability and self cleaning.
    How does PPF do with marring? Scratches look like they would be easier as the material flows back together to repair a scratch. I’ve seen more marring from rocks and bugs than scratches. PPF is resistant to most things due to its ability to absorb hits, but they leave marring or dull spots when hit hard. I’ve never seen old PPF that looked good. I always see the “can I buff PPF” threads.

Post Thanks / Like

The PPF is gonna be a whole new adventure; while I`ve looked into it best I can and solicited opinions from a few different sources at the end of the day it`s mostly a trust issue with what the installer advises and after that, seeing is believing...or not. Kinda a $$ leap of faith but like most detailing products, ya just never know how it`s gonna work out until you jump in and give it a try. On the plus side, only effort required from me on this particular project is writing the check. Fortunately the wife is totally in tune with this escapade...

How does PPF do with marring? Scratches look like they would be easier as the material flows back together to repair a scratch. I’ve seen more marring from rocks and bugs than scratches. PPF is resistant to most things due to its ability to absorb hits, but they leave marring or dull spots when hit hard. I’ve never seen old PPF that looked good. I always see the “can I buff PPF” threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget, what’s wife’s new ride your going to be PFFing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Budget, what’s wife’s new ride your going to be PFFing

Replacing her 2004 Corvette with new one.

While we did LT headers, full exhaust, intake and dyno tune on the 2004 and she raced it at local dragstrip relatively often, just gonna leave this one stock I think. Too old to roll around garage floor anymore.

And while I`d love to have a new car to polish and coat, gonna let the pro`s handle this one. Hopefully PPF lives up to (cautiously optimistic) expectations...

Will also be nice to see how the work of a good shop turns out...

Post Thanks / Like

What coating are you going to let the “pros” install?

Post Thanks / Like

What coating are you going to let the “pros” install?
    Current plan is to have car go direct from dealer to shop to have it completely wrapped in STEK DynoShield, likely no coating, maintain going forward with Overcoat or maybe even something like PA Rapidwaxx. Gonna be interesting experience for sure, something a bit different than what I`m used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Current plan is to have car go direct from dealer to shop to have it completely wrapped in STEK DynoShield, likely no coating, maintain going forward with Overcoat or maybe even something like PA Rapidwaxx. Gonna be interesting experience for sure, something a bit different than what I`m used to.
    Nice car! Seen the ammo dude do it on his Porsche. Ppf...cancoat.....interesting combo. In 100 years they’ll clear coat forcefuelds they’ll put on cars..... people will probably put cancoat on those too.

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Overcoat would be a good choice. With this car being garaged most of the time Overcoat should last for years.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread Information