Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would love to have a few manufacturers back off of the hardness claims and discuss (openly) the pros and cons of hardness. I feel much of this stuff is done on the fly and trying to be the first to market is beating actual testing (uh CarPro) and we get to be the beta testers.

A major problem (I’m finding) is most of the R&D is being done outside the US so there is a huge language problem. Trying to discuss or ask questions to a non-English speaker (native) can be very frustrating. The translation comes across as “you take, you like”. I’m not slamming non-English speakers at all as I only speak a few words of Japanese/Korean despite living on Okinawa and working in S. Korea. We (Americans) expect everyone to speak English, which is nonsensical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I`d guess `limited self healing` or similar will eventually eclipse the incessant marketing of hardness. Just a guess but as more DIY folks, who tend to wash their cars themselves, realize how easily a coated surface can swirl (despite 12 bucket washes), `preventing` will shift focus to `fixing/healing`. If I can take a regular bath/beach towel and dry my coated black hood and leave marks, how hard can the claimed 9h coating really be?

As for testing, my (again) guess is that the majority if the time in development is spent on the application and aesthetic aspects of the product with long-term longevity kinda based on assumptions of previous formulations using similar components. Can a claimed 8 year coating that was recently released really have been in development/testing for 8 years before release...in a variety of real world situations? Gotta be just an educated guess in that respect.

I find some of the language barriers to be quite entertaining. Read the instructions on the box, especially the smaller, more boutique mfg`s and ya just gotta laugh at the simple errors. The product is being shipped around the world, the instructions are in `english` but ya couldn`t even find a marginally fluent English speaker to look at it for 30 seconds to catch the obvious, uh, glitches? Comical and always hood for a chuckle.

I havent been around it long enough to know so I`m curious if this whole detailing Thing has really grown in the last 10-15 years? Was SEMA always such an interesting event in the eyes of detailing folks? Or is has it been relatively steady over the years and I just never noticed?

Dunno.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Kisho about self healing coatings and they said they were not developing the technology. They have tested the self healing coatings now available and said that they were not going that way because you can still see the “self healing marks”. My guess is that it does not “heal” enough for them. They sent me a video of their testing of self healing technology. They are in the industry and don’t see a future in self healing coatings.

I can see the point. If it does not heal 100% then it does not look good. It may be why paint/car manufacturers have stepped away from self healing tech. I hear it is no fun trying to correct self healing paint. I can only imagine. If the tech was good you shouldn’t have to correct it.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info from Kisho; one would think they might have a good feel for the playing field as havent they been around since 1965 or something? Thought I read that somewhere on their website.

For myself, self healing would have many advantages, even if it was only to the extent of the lightest of swirls, perhaps the kind possibly instilled by even a PFM used marginally carelessly. I wouldn`t realistically expect a scratch caused by jewelry or jeans leaning against the paint to heal but even a little help with swirl healing would be advantageous.

Unfortunately, even a very minor defect instilled over the winter would need special attention unless you just waited until the warm weather arrive. Running around with a heat source or hot water to heal in the winter would be somewhat inconvenient.

I guess we`ll wait and see what (if anything) becomes the next big thing, LSP wise. Just starting to look into the realities of PPF but that`s certainly not a hobbyist kinda thing so limited opportunities there. I`m sure there are peculiarities and issues with that, will be interesting to find out what they are. Possibly not `better` but maybe merely different?

On another Japanese note, looked a bit into Sensha; ran across it last year...not quite sure what to think but still intriguing.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty skeptical about 2-part coatings. Heck I`m skeptical about single layer coatings you need to "top." IMO your LSP (literally your outermost layer) does the heavy lifting as far as protection.

What does interest me is these AIO-type coating products like Essence or Blackfire Primer that provide light polishing with durable fillers and maybe some coating attributes. I`ve always been a fan of AIOs, and anything that helps me get a better finish with less abrasion is good in my book (especially if the filling ability lasts). I`m not sure why anyone hasn`t tried to just market one of these + a topper-type product as a simple system. Probably because adding in layers of coatings racks up the $$$.

Side note: I define a coating as any LSP that you cannot add another layer of the same product once it`s cured. I.E. you must polish off the previous layer if you want to add a fresh one. Everything else to me is a sealant, even if it has Si02 nomenclature.

Side side note: I`m not yet sure sure if these "topper" sealants provide the same protection against water spots/bird bombs/bugs much as some of our old school WOWO sealants

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting and I don’t know how many people are noticing a trend. The higher end coatings are going softer. This one says “3-4H pencil scale. The more I learn about coatings the more I wonder if 9H is a good thing or even what we (detailers) should be keying on. I’m having an internal debate on dual layer coatings, which is kinda/sorta what you have when you apply Skin or Gliss over a standard coating. There is a certain amount of flex necessary for a coating not to become brittle and crack/fracture and as we want more hardness (maybe from a hype perspective) less may be ideal. I’m starting to believe a two layer system is best with a hard layer followed by a softer second layer.
    I swear I read somewhere (on the sister site I think) that from a formulator`s perspective mar resistance has more to do with the "slickness" of the resulting surface rather than absolute hardness.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I reached conclusion for myself regarding all this coating "hysteria".

It makes sense for garage queen. Perfect paint correction. Twenty something layers of different coating on top of each other. Taken out of garage once in a blue moon.

For daily driver you do paint correction, coat with most affordable and easy to apply coating ( it will last 12 months for sure and makes it a bit easier to wash/maintain car ).

Maintain with most affordable stuff every other wash ( McKee`s 37Hydro Blue anyone? ).

Keep putting swirls, scratches after every wash even during drying it with your best microfiber towel for next 12 months.

After that repeat this cycle again.

You won`t have hearth attack discovering new scratches as time goes.

After another scheduled paint correction and coating it`s shiny and ready for new scratches again.

I have Wolfgang Uber leftover for at least two more coatings and McKees 37 full bottle. It`s probably another three times so I`m done with buying anything like this .

Will get some more pads and compound for next spring paint correction.

Maybe they will come with something extraordinary so I won`t be able to resist. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know when carpro GLISS 2.0 came out? I recently bought some and it shows manufacture date of April 2018. If there were issues with v1, and if that is what I have, I might just trash it and pick up some 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Vas62- You lost me there...why would it keep getting "swirls, scratches after every wash"? I can see that being the norm for Pros doing Customer cars, so apologies if that`s what you`re dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m starting to believe a two layer system is best with a hard layer followed by a softer second layer.
    The only thing that I see complaints about with this is that the softer layer becomes easier to marr. Then we get the comments from those that we have seen go on about a rant about coatings lol.

I would love to have a few manufacturers back off of the hardness claims and discuss (openly) the pros and cons of hardness. I feel much of this stuff is done on the fly and trying to be the first to market is beating actual testing (uh CarPro) and we get to be the beta testers.

A major problem (I’m finding) is most of the R&D is being done outside the US so there is a huge language problem. Trying to discuss or ask questions to a non-English speaker (native) can be very frustrating. The translation comes across as “you take, you like”. I’m not slamming non-English speakers at all as I only speak a few words of Japanese/Korean despite living on Okinawa and working in S. Korea. We (Americans) expect everyone to speak English, which is nonsensical.

I have not put up my final video on the little coating experiment I am done with. And coating hardness is over hyped. The layer applied to the paint is just not thick enough to do much. Does it help with limiting the amount of wash induced marring compared to a wax or sealant? Yes it does from that perspective. To get scratch protection, one would have to put on a thick layer and I mean thick and at that point the coating is not flexible and will more than likely start to develop fracturing at the microscopic level. Quite possibly even losing optical clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    I`m pretty skeptical about 2-part coatings. Heck I`m skeptical about single layer coatings you need to "top." IMO your LSP (literally your outermost layer) does the heavy lifting as far as protection.

What does interest me is these AIO-type coating products like Essence or Blackfire Primer that provide light polishing with durable fillers and maybe some coating attributes. I`ve always been a fan of AIOs, and anything that helps me get a better finish with less abrasion is good in my book (especially if the filling ability lasts). I`m not sure why anyone hasn`t tried to just market one of these + a topper-type product as a simple system. Probably because adding in layers of coatings racks up the $$$.
    The need to "top" is an option just like "topping" a wax or sealant. It is no secret that coatings need maintenance just like everything else but at the same time they lose their hydrophobic properties after awhile and the maintenance sprays just add that water behavior back temporarily as we all love our beading. And folks like us always like to put something on the paint so these manufactures figured why not make an extra few dollars.

Essence is a great polish and it is not that hydrophobic but CarPro does clearly state that one can use Reload over it. They even mention using Essence Plus over Essence as Essence Plus is hydrophobic. Sort of like using it as a sealant. It has been confirmed to me that Blackfire`s primer polish contains no abrasives.

Another great combination is Gyeon`s Primer Polish + CanCoat. Maintained every couple months with Cure and it is a solid performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas62 View Post
    I reached conclusion for myself regarding all this coating "hysteria".

It makes sense for garage queen. Perfect paint correction. Twenty something layers of different coating on top of each other. Taken out of garage once in a blue moon.

For daily driver you do paint correction, coat with most affordable and easy to apply coating ( it will last 12 months for sure and makes it a bit easier to wash/maintain car ).

Maintain with most affordable stuff every other wash ( McKee`s 37Hydro Blue anyone? ).

Keep putting swirls, scratches after every wash even during drying it with your best microfiber towel for next 12 months.

After that repeat this cycle again.

You won`t have hearth attack discovering new scratches as time goes.

After another scheduled paint correction and coating it`s shiny and ready for new scratches again.

I have Wolfgang Uber leftover for at least two more coatings and McKees 37 full bottle. It`s probably another three times so I`m done with buying anything like this .

Will get some more pads and compound for next spring paint correction.

Maybe they will come with something extraordinary so I won`t be able to resist. LOL
    I have my garage car and daily driver both coated and it sure saves me a lot of time to do other things.

If you are continually getting swirls and scratches then there is some tweaking needing to your technique. If it is an average customer then to them what do they car as long as their paint is clean and shiny. They could care less about swirls and scratches like we often do here.

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Does anyone know when carpro GLISS 2.0 came out? I recently bought some and it shows manufacture date of April 2018. If there were issues with v1, and if that is what I have, I might just trash it and pick up some 2.0.
    It is available at CarPro`s site for purchase. Send it back to wherever you bought it. The new one is supposed to have V2 or something similar on the bottle.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Vas62- You lost me there...why would it keep getting "swirls, scratches after every wash"? I can see that being the norm for Pros doing Customer cars, so apologies if that`s what you`re dealing with.

Sorry, I should`ve elaborated more on it.
    I didn`t mean getting some extremely noticeable deep scratches or anything else.
    I will be doing mostly ( 90% of the time ) waterless wash.

Whenever I got out of the city to my retreat, car gets (will get) full wash with 12 buckets like Budget said.

That`s from his post : "...more DIY folks, who tend to wash their cars themselves, realize how easily a coated surface can swirl (despite 12 bucket washes)

No matter how careful I`ll be it creates first some micromarring and then accumulates over the time.

To be honest that`s not my concern getting some minimal swirls after wash.

It`s daily driver, and I mean I drive it all day, not going somewhere in the morning and park it until 5pm.

Then it parked overnight on the city street which expose it to some unwanted by me events (somebody rub his butt agains fender or one of our suicidal bicyclist unchain their bike and bump into my door). City life.

Washing is performed way more often than I would say "regular" daily driver.

I might be a little bit over dramatized it.

But in general it`s what I`m dealing with.

Car looks better than 90% of the cars I see on the road on daily basis.

That`s all I need.
    Likes JVD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vas62- Ah, OK, and I do appreciate your expanding on your previous post. And no matter what anybody thinks, IMO...

That`s all I need.
    That says it all. You`ve found what`s right *for you*.

With the WW and especially your urban use, yep, marring is gonna happen and you can only do what you can do.

Apologies if I came across as all Autopian-Judgmental and FWIW, you`ve reminded me how pampered my "daily drivers" really are.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Vas62 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Vas62- Ah, OK, and I do appreciate your expanding on your previous post. And no matter what anybody thinks, IMO...

That says it all. You`ve found what`s right *for you*.

With the WW and especially your urban use, yep, marring is gonna happen and you can only do what you can do.

Apologies if I came across as all Autopian-Judgmental and FWIW, you`ve reminded me how pampered my "daily drivers" really are.
    No apologies necessary.

This forum was a great help in forming my opinion and view on car maintenance.

I really didn`t pay much attention all these previous years until I started dealing with black cars.

It`s really amazing how much work and research (and money) BudgetPlan put in it.

Thank you Sir from the bottom of my heart.

Really enjoyed reading all your posts.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vas62- Glad I didn`t come across badly...but when I apologize preemptively, *twice* no less, I figure I could`ve worded things better.

And yeah, black cars are unforgiving! And also the "appropriate vehicle" for a lot of applications where they`re gonna get used hard...vicious circle at times.
    Likes Vas62, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few thoughts regarding how things did the past season:

Van 1: Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, Infinity Wax x 1, Overcoat; applied 02/08/2018.
    Very pleased to see that this one is doing great; Would have hated to have my dreams crushed if it wouldn’t have held up to the rigors of daily use w little to no maintenance. From receipts it looks like it was run through the local touchless (soap/water only) 3 times over the summer but aside from that, Mother Nature did all the maintenance via rain. Vehicle likely spent 04/01/2018 thru present sitting outside 90% of the time, currently at about 17k miles. Will be driven sporadically over the coming winter, maybe 5k miles. Will likely let it ride until March then wash, Gyeon Tar, Gyeon Iron, another bit of Overcoat and away it goes for another season. Always looked the cleanest of all the coated vehicles.

Van 3: Feynlab Ceramic + TopCoat applied 02/02/2018
    This was a nice combo to use, easy to apply but had a very strong chemical odor during application; enough that people wandering in the warehouse when it was being applied asked what the heck I was doing. It was the most brilliant shine of any I have used, very Zaino-like in appearance. Lotsa vehicles look ‘kinda’ the same after coating but this one definitely stood out due to the look. Self cleaning was slightly above average but nothing that would make me say ‘wow, that’s great stuff’ but is still a beneficial attribute that is obvious over a non-coated vehicle. Downside to the packaging (back then anyway) was the aluminum bottles which made it hard to see how much was left in the bottle during application; not a big deal but sometimes nice to know as your proceed through the process. If you’re looking for an above-average product that has almost a sealant look to it, this would be nice for you. Vehicle has traveled about 16k miles since application, washed once at the local touchless tunnel wash. On a side note, every time I speak to the Feynlab folks they are very nice and helpful and the conversation usually leaves me with something I didn’t know before regarding coatings in general, not just their products. Always a pleasure.

Van 9: Cquartz Classic/TiO2 & Gyeon Cure applied 01/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + IGL Premier refresh 10/2017.
    A very nice, quiet, under-the-radar performer. While it was still staying relatively clean at the end of 2017 I gave it a little boost as noted above. It’s still doing quite well at staying clean of its own accord, glossy. I never really paid much attention to this one during the past summer but when I did see it, kinda would surprise me at how well it was looking. Beading is pretty much gone, but somehow it continues to look good with no real effort. On its own the Cquartz, even at application, had poor feel to it, very un-slick, hence my initial application of Gyeon Cure. The Gyeon CanCoat + IGL Premier was likely enough of a boost that played the greatest part in making it through another un-maintained summer. Still, given the pricing of Cquartz, it’s definitely a viable choice for everyday use by many.

Van 10: Gloss Shop Ceramic V1 applied 03/2017
    This was a very nice choice for a year, especially given that ya can get 50ml for $45 plus shipping. It was very easy to apply, gave a nice near-candy gloss to the metallic dark crimson paint. Left to its own devices with no toppers or boosters, self cleaning was average to above average. Unless you’re looking for some subtle visual distinctions with respect to gloss, it was a nice choice. ‘Was’ a nice choice as it was upgraded to Version 2 after I used it. In our conditions, it made it about 16k miles (all April thru November) before it kinda faded away.

Van 11: 22ple HPC + VS1 Final Coat applied March 2017; refresh 01/2017 w/ 22ple glass coat clay, 22ple Finitura & 22ple VS1 Final Coat
    This product continues to amaze; it’s gotta be one of the best ‘fire and forget’ coatings I have used as this truck just always looks good. As far as I can tell, it hadn’t rec’d any maintenance/washing since last summer. Appearance-wise, the molten-glass gloss doesn’t have quite the depth and complexity of the Kamikaze combo but over time it has proven to be one tough customer, maybe the toughest of all I have used. I’m not big on the hardness that is marketed with most coatings, but if there is even any shred of truth to it, this may show it in just the tiniest way. Each of our trucks has large, round decals on the side and from the scratches on the decals of this truck, it’s obvious this guy had some tree-lined driveways on his weekly route. Most of the branch-inflicted scratches on the decal do not really extend to the paint, or significantly diminish when they do extend to the paint. Although I’m no surface scientist, I’m assuming that the softer decals, although coated, will scratch easier than the paint, a harder substrate. I dunno, but kinda cool to see that something ran across the side of the truck frequently but the paint is far less scratched than the decals. Draw your own conclusions as, well, it’s likely I have no idea what I’m talking about. Still, 22ple HPC is some pretty good, albeit somewhat pricey, stuff. Application can kinda be a logistical inconvenience with a recommended 12-24 hours before applying a second coat. As for Finitura and VS1, Finitura remains a mystery as to its real function and is a REAL PIA to remove the last little traces of haze so I’m done with that stuff but VS1 is a very, very good topper/booster.

Van 12: Gyeon One + Gyeon Cure applied to hood 02/12/2018; Gyeon One removed and Nanolex Si3D + SiFinish applied 03/08/2018 to body, McKees V2 to roof.
    We’ll skip the Gyeon One commentary as there is a vehicle farther down that I applied it to and concentrate on the Nanolex, which I hadda have shipped in from the UK as US Nanolex vendor only offers the weaker SiShield to the general public. Aside from the interesting application process, this one left me wholly unimpressed. Self cleaning was average and there was just nothing else that stood out about this product. Admittedly, it was used on one of our trucks that gets the most mileage put on it (about 25k+ miles this year and I *know* this thing never got so much as a tunnel wash. Perhaps it would do better with regular maintenance but in my usage scenario, just didn’t impress me.

Van 13: Gyeon Syncro applied 01/26/2018
    Oh, had such high hopes for this one after application and in the first 3-4 months it continued to exceed expectations. The relatively high water contact angle made for some great beads and the slickness of the silicone-based Skin topcoat made for some very entertaining experiences involving a spray bottle of water and an air hose. The beads would slide across the surface like the little beads of mercury, back when we were allowed to play with little beads of mercury before the EPA or some other acronym ruined our fun. The surface remained slick as could be until about mid-June when the entertaining effects, along with the self cleaning began to diminish. The surface now is very Mohs-like w/ regards to water behavior so perhaps the Skin has worn away. Gonna look at chemical decon when I get a chance and see what returns. About 17K miles, with no washes between 2/2108 and current date.

Van 14: The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2, applied 03/14/2018
    An improvement over V1, this ‘high solids’, 1 layer, all surfaces coating did very well; self cleaning slightly above average, still glossy and nice looking. A solid product and the guy who sells it, Ruchard Wright is a very nice guy to boot, made in the good ‘ol USA.

Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017.
    The initial application of CSL (2 layers) + C2V3 was incredibly disappointing immediately after application. Really liked the look and application of CSL but once topped with C2V3, self cleaning was abysmal. If it rained, it needed a wash (which I didn’t do) due to (easily removed) dirty water spotting. Things began looking up after initial 2 months, guessing when the C2V3 wore off. Let it ride over the summer of 2017, the CSL itself was ‘ok” but nothing notable. Figuring I had nothing to lose, did chemical decon in Fall 2017, dropped some Gyeon CanCoat on it, then Kamikaze Overcoat and it ended up being one of the best looking, cleanest vehicles we ran this past summer, just a notch below the 22ple and Kamikaze vehicles. Th CanCoat added a nice bit of candy gloss to the base, rich-looking CSL and the Overcoat gave it great self cleaning characteristics and it just keeps on truckin’ over the 27k miles of Summer 2018. I think it was tunnel-washed once or twice this past summer. An odd, but strangely compelling combo. Should be noted that about 2 or 3 months after application it was mentioned to me that CSL doesn’t really like 2 layers and that may have contributed to initial poos performance. Regardless, much like TAC Moonlight, C2V3 just isn’t my cup of tea for whatever reason, up to and including user error. I’m no pro by any stretch so it’s quite possible I was to blame as so many like C2V3 but it is what it is.

Van 17: Gyeon Prime + CanCoat + IGL Premier applied 11/2017; hood buffed clean, HydroSilex Recharge, Kamikaze OVercoat & 22ple VS1 Final Coat applied in 1/3 sections, 02/03/2018
    Obviously this was just a mutt I used for testing some things, entertaining but nothing really notable about results as it got contaminated with ‘something’ during the time I was watching it and I got bored with trying to remedy/redo. One interesting not about this was that when I was buffing the hood clean of the underlying Prime + CanCoat, I left 2 tape stripes covering the Prime & CanCoat. Can still see those stripes when it rains.

Van 18 Hood: IGL Quartz + Premier (passenger side) and 22ple HPC + Finitura + VS1 Final Coat (driver side) applied 12/2017
    Another mutt vehicle used to just try some stuff on the hood. While I never really paid attention to it after 3 months or so, 22ple stayed much cleaner than the IGL Quartz. Both sides felt reasonably slick, not Gyeon Syncro slick, but slick enough to be notable w/ regards to the usual coating ‘feel’. The IGL did have a nice application process, more like the coating was melting into the paint.

Ranger 6: Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017.
    It did pretty good, always stayed clean but once the Cure wore off, the visible water behavior was very lacking (a Mohs characteristic, in my experience anyway). Very resistant to bird bombs, I once left a big one sitting on the hood in the mid-summer sun for 3 weeks and when I finally did remove it, it left no visible trace. Right before the 10/2017 refresh, all beading was gone except for a small vertical triangle under the passenger side mirror, which still beaded nicely. CanCoat brought it back to life for the next few months but lacking any maintenance, not much going on now.

Ranger 7: Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2 applied 10/2017.
    Much like Van 14 above, a nice products, great price point.

Ranger 9: Pearl Nano applied 03/2017.
    Was a 2-part base/top coat system. Initially the viscosity and odor of both parts reminded me of Kamikaze Miyabi and ISM but sadly performance was not up to their level. It did OK for about 10k miles before it degraded enough to the point I lost intrest.

Black Honda CR-V: 22ple HPC + VS1 applied April 2017.
    This initially performed like I had grown accustomed to 22ple HPC performing, great self cleaning even with limited maintenance despite the fact that I sent the guy home with buckets/grit guards/Gyeon Bathe and drying towels. Always looked good right up to the point it didn’t last summer, that point being when the guys house burned down along with this vehicle.

White 2017 Ford F150: Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster applied 11/2017.
    Always liked this combo although the Booster component at $80 made it a somewhat pricey proposition. Owner says it’s doing great, probably because he doesn’t drive it much. As a result of its limited use I don’t really see it very often but he says it beads great and is easy to clean.

Crystal Red 2017 Ford Explorer: 22ple HPC + Finitura applied 11/2017.
    Beautiful look on this paint. Vehicle is regularly taken through touchless wash and still looks incredible…candy-apple type of look. It’s the owner of our company so I see it often and it really looks good. The Kamikaze Stance Rim coating I used is still doing great as well, lends just the right gloss to the wheels. About 12k miles since application, garaged at night.

Black Ford Focus: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017; CanCoat refresh 11/2017.
    Good for a year w/ limited maintenance but all is totally gone now, hardly any beading or sheeting.

Black 2007 Ford Focus: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Overcoat applied 10/2017.
    Dunno what happened to this one, never see it anymore.

Mint Green Toyota Camry: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017.
    Reportedly still doing OK but have to believe it’s fading. Guys does maintain it relatively well, washing with Bathe and topping with Cure.

Aegean Blue 2016 Honda Civic: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 10/2016.
    My wife’s winter car, 12k miles since application but sits outside 24/7 in heavily wooded lot. Still catches my eye every time I walk by it, great color that the Kamikaze stuff really accentuates. Washed bi-weekly with monthly applications of Kamikaze Overcoat or, this past summer, Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. Foamed with Gyeon Foam at each wash and washed with Gyeon Bathe, no stains or watermarks on the paint despite sitting outside all the time, generally buried under wet leaves from October thru December.

Black 2017 Honda Accord: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 9/2017
    My daily driver, this thing has a hard, hard life. 70 mile daily commute on 4 of the worst freeways in Cleveland, OH. Absolutely terrible winter of 2017-2018, the hood has so many chips in it that its totally depressing. Currently at about 27K miles since application, it’s seen everything the roads can throw at it; salt, gravel, construction, brine, chemical de-icers…it needed a serious dousing in Gyeon Tar and Gyeon Iron in Spring 2018 but afterwards, came right back to life and returned to it’s great self-cleaning characteristics over the past summer. Maintained weekly/biweekly when possible, gets the same Gyeon Foam/Gyeon Bathe maintenance as above Civic does. I suspect come Spring 2019, will need to be redone as I’m guessing it’ll be close to 43k miles at that point and that’s probably gonna be all she wrote.

Black 2014 Corvette: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 08/2017
    Wife’s summer car, gets the most maintenance and the most ‘careful’ use so can’t really make a judgment on anything but looks and it still looks great, very deeply glassy. We’ll be getting rid of this over the coming winter, otherwise, barring any unforeseen damage via daily use, this coating would easily go on for another year or 3.

Lunar Silver 2018 Honda HR-V; Gyeon Primer + Gyeon One + Gyeon CanCoat, applied 02/09/2018
    Interesting, didn’t expect much outta this one but it’s doing pretty darn good. Application of Gyeon One was the stickiest upon removal of any I have tried, very tiring. Was very forgiving in that high spots could easily be removed up to an hour later but I see Gyeon has come up with a ‘modified’ application process to make it a bit easier. I used Gyeon Primer under it, with 24 hour cure before applying One and then topped it with CanCoat 24hrs later. Very nice look. It might be (aside from my cars) the best maintained of any vehicle I have done…even considering the fact she washes with Dawn or Joy dishwashing liquid (she says Joy does a better job). Regardless, it’s sitting outside in the rain right now, beading nicely with many of the bigger beads running off the hood like any freshly applied coating. Interesting.

Crystal Black Pearl 2016 Acura MDX: Kamikaze Miyabi x 1, ISM x 1, Overcoat, applied 06/23/2018
    Dunno, haven’t seen hide nor hair of this vehicle since I did it.

Anyway, that’s kinda some notes of things I’ve watched over the last year or two with TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE thought on each. YMMV.

For this winters entertainment, have 4 brand new vehicles being delivered soon. Usual wash, decon, clay, polish, prep, coating going on and this year’s selections are:

1. Cquartz UK 3.0: Polish with Essence, 2 layers Cquartz, Reload afterwards. Anyone got any advice on using the CarPro stuff, I’m all ears…haven’t ventured much into the land of CarPro.

2. Gtechniq CSL + EXOv4: Likely give the new Megs M210 a try for polish, then 1 layer CSL, 2 layers EXO

3. 22ple VS2 Pro + 22ple VS1 Final Coat: Maybe give the newish HD One a go for polish. Want to give the highest level consumer available 22ple a try.

4. Kamikaze Miyabi & Kamikaze Zipang + Overcoat: What, ya didn’t think I was gonna find some reason to try this, no matter how impractical for a work vehicle (albeit a new one)? Not gonna go all-in on the Zipang + Miyabi + Zipang cuz these are some pretty large vans but Miyabi topped with Zipang should give me something to work with regarding “Oops, leaned up against it with a dirty sweatshirt, let’s get some hot water and see hat happens”

If anyone has any advice, recommendations regarding the stuff I`m gonna try soon I`d love to hear them. Some unfamiliar things are being used so I can certainly use any help I can get.
    Likes JustJesus, Tc99m, DBAILEY, Stokdgs, Saber732 and 7 others liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus, Tc99m, Stokdgs, Saber732, rlmccarty2000 and 5 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget... You are CRAZY AWESOME with everything you have done and reported, always professionally done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus, CleanIt liked this post

Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread Information