Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151652 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    That Kamikaze combo looks killer, been eyeing it a while. You ever use the artificial clear coat? Curious if it’s really beneficial and worth it.

If I can swing an Acura for my next car(the new TLX with the red cockpit looks sweet), I’ll definitely go the kamikaze route.
    Never used the ACC, I think it`s for very specific situations...whatever those may be.

Vid: https://youtu.be/SO-QP4WLY_s

Quote Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
    Great reviews. This clears up a lot of questions I had about the various products you were testing. It does appear that many of the durability claims of many of the manufacturers comes up sadly short, too.
    I think a 70 mile daily winter commute can really take it`s toll on anything...we`ll see.

I`d guess longevity claims are `best usage case scenario` examples; 22ple HPC claims 3-5 years which in my case would be 60k-100k miles...thsts a tough thing to live up to in a northern climate for $179.

Even the Kamikaze claim of 24-36 months is gonna be 40k-60k miles if it holds.up. Still a tall order but within the realm of possibility I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Great mega review. I have also used a lot of coatings once and not too many twice. I guess I`m as happy as I`m but still looking for something better if that makes and sense. I`ve got some new stuff in the cabinet I need to find some time to use before the cold weather sets in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Great meg review. I have also used a lot of coatings once and not too many twice. I guess I`m as happy as I`m still looking for something better if that makes and sense. I`ve got some new stuff in the cabinet I need to find some time to use before the cold weather sets in.
    Yeah, there`s always something in the back of your mind wondering if there is something `better` but with the amount of coatings coming out each day it seems to be an insurmountable task to try even half of them. The self-healing aspects of some appear interesting but many are `authorized user only` products. I know Feynlab has a few of `em.

With unlimited funds, and unlimited vehicles to try them on (not to mention a whole lotta time) it`d be fun to continue searching but, alas, since I`ve found something that works for me I think I`m outta the game (until I get bored with doing nothing). Still have excellent choices to offer for various situations/needs/budgets as the Kamikaze stuff, 22ple HPC and Gyeon Mohs are all excellent solutions for my area, available for different levels of `need`. Not being a professional, or someone who even has folks cover materials costs, the financial end of it can quickly get outta hand, not to mention the time involved.

There`s always gonna be something `better` in somebody`s opinion but unfortunately the only way to find out if it`s better for *you* is to pony up and have at it. And I`m not even sure what `better` may be at this point...the things I have settled on meet all my primary criteria so, aside from self-healing, I wouldn`t even know what to look for. Hopefully for me, the trail of Unicorn Tears has reached it`s logical conclusion.
    Likes Oneheadlite, VitreousHumor, 305GT3 liked this post
    Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review and thanks for putting all of that info together. I never really got bitten by the "coating bug". I detail my cars weekly and I still have cabinet fulls of sealants and carnuabas to go through
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for an excellent and informative post sharing real life results. I`d be interested in your thoughts comparing Kamikaze OverCoat to 22PLE VS1 Final Coat, used as maintenance products.Thanks in advance.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    Fantastic feedback Budget... truly enjoyed and appreciated all you have written on your coating journey. Hat tip to you sir
    Could not agree more... thank you BudgetPlan1 for all of your contributions regarding coatings and your honest feedback.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Thanks for the great write up! Now try polish angel if you think kamakaze is easy!
    Thanks for your reviews BudgetPlan1 and taking the time to write all this and share your experience. Yourself and Mike were very helpful when I was gearing up to do ISM which has nothing but exceeded my expectations.

All this talk of PA around here and seeing all the great results and me winning gift box of PA, master sealant, rapid wax and glissante during Esoteric open house. I can`t wait to try it on my 300SRT.
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, a huge thanks for the feedback on everything you`ve tried on your coating journey!

Really handy to have a comparison of so many coatings in one place. I tried to start a thread for that exact reason on the sister site and never got any traction.
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Thanks for an excellent and informative post sharing real life results. I`d be interested in your thoughts comparing Kamikaze OverCoat to 22PLE VS1 Final Coat, used as maintenance products.Thanks in advance.
    No comparison, Overcoat (most notably in areas that see rain) is a product without compare. If the godz of detailing allowed me only one product to use as an LSP, i`d skip waxes, sealants, coatings and go with Overcoat. I`ve seen one guy who used it (Raven on some board/forum) who used it as and LSP and got a solid 6 months out of it. Well, OK mayb not coatings but the stuff (Overcoat) is simply *that* good. May seem pricey but the 250ml bottle I purchased in May 2017 is still 1/3 full and for the most of summer I`ve been using it as a drying aid after every wash on 3 cars simply because it makes drying easier. The protection and looks (looks even better after 24hr curing) are fantastic.

Now, that opinion is based upon my location/climate and the fact that my cars see rain whenever Mother Nature sees fit. I exchanged PM`s with a forum user in Arizona who mentioned he saw no significant difference between it and Gyeon Cure...because he rarely sees rain. Still, as a sacrificial layer, I have found nothing that comes close; 22ple VS1, Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2V3, Gyeon Cure...not even close for me. Now 22ple has been dangling their Finitura product (same type of product as Overcoat but super-charged) since last May but have seen no release yet. That`s one drawback to 22ple - the mfg is pretty much non-existent in the online world (or maybe real world as well); occasionally answers queries on their Facebook page but no website or other contact info.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if it`s the Overcoat as opposed to the coatings themselves that`s doing the heavy lifting; boy, that would sure make all my work with coatings pointless!

The one other thing I forgot to mention regarding 22ple HPC is the recommended 24hr cure time between layers...that can be kinda inconvenient.
    Likes glfnaz, Ronkh, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

I think a 70 mile daily winter commute can really take it`s toll on anything...we`ll see.

I`d guess longevity claims are `best usage case scenario` examples; 22ple HPC claims 3-5 years which in my case would be 60k-100k miles...thsts a tough thing to live up to in a northern climate for $179.

Even the Kamikaze claim of 24-36 months is gonna be 40k-60k miles if it holds.up. Still a tall order but within the realm of possibility I hope.
    I`m sure a long commute doesn`t help, but its really mother nature that pounds whatever is on top of the paint. The only way to really tell high mileage paint vs low (give all other things equal) is the rock chips. Durability figures always have to be taken with a grain of salt, or simply divide by 3 for a real car parked outside 24x7.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    No comparison, Overcoat (most notably in areas that see rain) is a product without compare. If the godz of detailing allowed me only one product to use as an LSP, i`d skip waxes, sealants, coatings and go with Overcoat. I`ve seen one guy who used it (Raven on some board/forum) who used it as and LSP and got a solid 6 months out of it. Well, OK mayb not coatings but the stuff (Overcoat) is simply *that* good. May seem pricey but the 250ml bottle I purchased in May 2017 is still 1/3 full and for the most of summer I`ve been using it as a drying aid after every wash on 3 cars simply because it makes drying easier. The protection and looks (looks even better after 24hr curing) are fantastic.

Now, that opinion is based upon my location/climate and the fact that my cars see rain whenever Mother Nature sees fit. I exchanged PM`s with a forum user in Arizona who mentioned he saw no significant difference between it and Gyeon Cure...because he rarely sees rain. Still, as a sacrificial layer, I have found nothing that comes close; 22ple VS1, Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2V3, Gyeon Cure...not even close for me. Now 22ple has been dangling their Finitura product (same type of product as Overcoat but super-charged) since last May but have seen no release yet. That`s one drawback to 22ple - the mfg is pretty much non-existent in the online world (or maybe real world as well); occasionally answers queries on their Facebook page but no website or other contact info.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if it`s the Overcoat as opposed to the coatings themselves that`s doing the heavy lifting; boy, that would sure make all my work with coatings pointless!

The one other thing I forgot to mention regarding 22ple HPC is the recommended 24hr cure time between layers...that can be kinda inconvenient.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and feedback.

Good to know you found something that works for you. I sort of agree with that member that mentioned that there is no distinguishable difference for us folks who don`t deal with a lot of rain or harsh weather conditions. I am currently evaluating which coating will suit my needs.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget Plan cracks me up! He was explaining in a response to me above, about a PM from a guy in AZ. That *was me*. Ha Ha.
    But what I really meant and probably didn`t say correctly, was that for Bling & Gloss, I saw very little differences between the different SIO2 maintenance products Cure and Kami OverCoat. But with Cure I only see about 6-8 weeks of durability, and Budget above said he`s heard results of 6 months. That is a huge difference and might justify the higher price. I`d still like to know about 22PLE VS1 FC in comparative Gloss and durability to OverCoat. Budget Plan is a very helpful guy I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Good to know you found something that works for you. I sort of agree with that member that mentioned that there is no distinguishable difference for us folks who don`t deal with a lot of rain or harsh weather conditions. I am currently evaluating which coating will suit my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review, very insightful.

Glad you found what works for you and are no longer searching.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`m sure a long commute doesn`t help, but its really mother nature that pounds whatever is on top of the paint. The only way to really tell high mileage paint vs low (give all other things equal) is the rock chips. Durability figures always have to be taken with a grain of salt, or simply divide by 3 for a real car parked outside 24x7.
    Interesting...never really thought about it that way but hoods sure can get pretty toasty in summer sun; that can`t be beneficial for anything.

I`m just going off of my WG Uber which failed over the winter on the sides of the car while the hood, roof and trunk were still holding up reasonably well in terms of looks and water performance.

I guess I`m more of an optimist than yourself...i only divide mfg longevity claims by 2 for real world predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Good luck with your search for a coating; it`s really interesting how many different factors go into making a coating `the best` for each individual. Kinda nicely illustrates that there really is no one answer to the universal question so often asked: `What is the BEST [insert detailing product here]?"

Which also helps explain my affinity for Overcoat; the water behavior of it is otherworldly in my neck of woods for our mostly daily drivers. And although I really like the way it looks, put it next to a similar, well maintened vehicle with another SiO2 topper and, in all honestly, i likely couldn`t tell the difference most of the time. It just excels in another area by such a margin that it moved up the ladder for me.

If one is not in need of that particular characteristic then it`s just another pretty face at a crowded dance.

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Budget Plan cracks me up! He was explaining in a response to me above, about a PM from a guy in AZ. That *was me*. Ha Ha.
    But what I really meant and probably didn`t say correctly, was that for Bling & Gloss, I saw very little differences between the different SIO2 maintenance products Cure and Kami OverCoat. But with Cure I only see about 6-8 weeks of durability, and Budget above said he`s heard results of 6 months. That is a huge difference and might justify the higher price. I`d still like to know about 22PLE VS1 FC in comparative Gloss and durability to OverCoat. Budget Plan is a very helpful guy I might add.
    Well, that`s pretty funny in a "My brain is likely addled by SiO2 and flourine" kinda way.

As for the longevity claim of 6 months, ya know how the internet can be; guy did seem credible and is still active occasionally regarding Kamikaxe though so it`s possible. May be an Aussie guy...

Yeah, not sure I could honestly tell between most SiO2 toppers just by looking at `em. Now have a rainstorm roll thru followed by sun and I could likely tell.

And 6 months I can`t speak to as I`ve never gone anywhere near that long; I used to go about a month or so before applying Overcoat with a microfiber applicator after washing and drying but have lately been using as drying aid after wash cuz it makes drying so much easier/quicker.
    Likes glfnaz, Dan, VitreousHumor liked this post

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151652 ... LastLast

Thread Information