Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

I`m a strong believer to use a tar remover once and a while. IME you revive most LSP if they are chemical resistant enough. Even with only Gyeon Wet Coat on the car this last winter. And a month in I saw degrade on the lower side panels and the back of the car. The kerosene based tar degreaser got it back to the other horisontall panels water behavior. So once a month or when you are able to use a tar remover. You will hold up the water behavior nicely on a coated car. Even a dedicated prewash foam like gtechnic w4 citrus foam or gyeon foam or 3D orange 88 degreaser would be great to use before the wash. The pressure from the PW to clean with gets it cleaner too. Then the tar degreaser and after PW that off the 2bm or any other wash method as it`s clean enough to do that after this prewash.

/Tony
    Likes PoweredByJenga liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Every Spring I`ll hose the car down with Gyeon Iron, then Gyeon Tar...brings everything back to `just coated` (so far, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I`m a strong believer to use a tar remover once and a while. IME you revive most LSP if they are chemical resistant enough. Even with only Gyeon Wet Coat on the car this last winter. And a month in I saw degrade on the lower side panels and the back of the car. The kerosene based tar degreaser got it back to the other horisontall panels water behavior. So once a month or when you are able to use a tar remover. You will hold up the water behavior nicely on a coated car. Even a dedicated prewash foam like gtechnic w4 citrus foam or gyeon foam or 3D orange 88 degreaser would be great to use before the wash. The pressure from the PW to clean with gets it cleaner too. Then the tar degreaser and after PW that off the 2bm or any other wash method as it`s clean enough to do that after this prewash.

/Tony
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vas62 View Post
    That`s exactly what I want from coated car. To be able to withstand dirt as much as possible, not to get exited about water beading on the hood (still like it though ).
    Completely agree. And we are all allowed to enjoy different things! I just simply don`t care about 130 degree water beading or whatever, I just want enough to tell me the product is still there (I do like a good sliding angle though).

I`m still trying to dig into the chemistry of these products to figure out what would suit me best. It`s almost impossible with all of the marketing out there. The closest I`ve gotten is the discussion on here about Mohs:

Quote Originally Posted by GYEON_Jeff View Post
    [...] Q2 Mohs is a PHPS based coating (polysilazane.....and not SiO2). So very smooth application without the tacky wipe off. [...]

[...] Q2 Mohs is also designed as a protection oriented product. Is it the glossiest on the planet by itself? Probably not although it delivers plenty of gloss and I install it as a stand alone often. The Sio2 based coatings will deliver that very dramatic bend of light where Q2 Mohs gives a very crisp and clean pop.

Does it give the highest water bead angle on the planet at 105 degree contact angle? Probably not although that`s not to say it doesn`t display nice beading characteristics and remove water and contaminant from the surface at a high level.

Q2 Mohs really shows it`s stuff in terms of durability and protection, which is what we are asking a coating to really do. It is extremely resistant in terms of UV and Chemical damage. It`s ability to withstand penetration from these factors is at the top of its class. [...]
    What I really want is a coating that`s easy to clean. When bugs, bird bombs, water spots, grime, etc inevitably happen they come off easily during my maintenance wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article about coating. People working on it and not only in car related field.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0411145002.htm
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Completely agree. And we are all allowed to enjoy different things! I just simply don`t care about 130 degree water beading or whatever, I just want enough to tell me the product is still there (I do like a good sliding angle though).

I`m still trying to dig into the chemistry of these products to figure out what would suit me best. It`s almost impossible with all of the marketing out there. The closest I`ve gotten is the discussion on here about Mohs:

What I really want is a coating that`s easy to clean. When bugs, bird bombs, water spots, grime, etc inevitably happen they come off easily during my maintenance wash.
    The ideal scenario would be if everything is washed out with pressure washer without even touching car. Well, maybe some foam before it. Numerous of videos when folks doing it but it`s only on light contamination.

Some day I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

The ideal scenario would be if everything is washed out with pressure washer without even touching car. Well, maybe some foam before it. Numerous of videos when folks doing it but it`s only on light contamination.

Some day I hope.
    I don`t think anytime soon IMO at least for a daily driver. Traffic film is tenacious and there`s just too many surfaces on a car besides paint that just need some agitation. But yeah that`s the idea, I want as much abrasive material as possible to come off the paint with my initial pressure rinse that I`m really just taking off an oily film during my bucket wash. Case in point would be my rinse bucket is nearly clean at the end of the wash.
    Likes Vas62, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some day I hope.
    The folks on Detailing World are big into snow foams to prewash their cars, where here we talk about it very little. Bilt Hamber is a big name for snow foam, but we don’t get it in the US market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The folks on Detailing World are big into snow foams to prewash their cars, where here we talk about it very little. Bilt Hamber is a big name for snow foam, but we don’t get it in the US market.
    I have Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and Auto-Foam. And wow are they effective. If you want to try out something that is very near in the performance. Angelwax Cleanliness and Angelwax Fast Foam. During the summer months I use Auto-Foam and during winter months when the road salt is on the roads I use SurfexHD. The cleaning ability is awesome and the rinse bucket stays very clean after a wash. But the use of the water pressure from the PW to clean with is where the most cleaning is done. With the foam loosen up all kind of dirt help it gets cleaner when you clean with the PW. The technique with PW to clean from bottom and work your way up. You don`t get any dirt streaks from the run off and you easly see where you have cleaned with the PW. It`s a standard method to do and is written on the descriptions on how to use degreasers and prewash that you rinse off before you 2bm wash. The bucket wash you do as normal and start from the top and work your way down.

Great to hear it`s working for you budgetplan

Post Thanks / Like

My Overcoat just arrived.

And it`s V 2.1. Hurray !!!

Now going to grab magnifying glass to read that micro print on the back of the bottle.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-img_1941.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

My Overcoat just arrived.

And it`s V 2.1. Hurray !!!

Now going to grab magnifying glass to read that micro print on the back of the bottle.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-img_1941.jpg
    100ml or 250ml?

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

My 250ml bottle of Overcoat arrived today and it is the old stuff!
    The whole day has been that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper280 View Post
    My 250ml bottle of Overcoat arrived today and it is the old stuff!
    The whole day has been that way.
    Did you get it from Esoteric? I am planning to buy a bottle soon, but I want the newest version. Especially at $99.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    100ml or 250ml?

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    It`s 100 ml and it`s from Esoteric.

Will start my project in a two weeks.

Definitely update on how it behaves .
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still on the fence about when to apply Overcoat.
    I was thinking to apply it at the same time when applying base coat .
    Now having second thoughts to give Wolfgang some time to cure/settle on the car before doing Overcoat.
    Analogy (not exactly precise ) coming from wall painting procedure. When you prime the wall you let it dry before applying paint coat . Something similar I would imagine can be applied in case of car coating .
    But benefits of applying the same day would be absence of even a little unnoticeable scratches that may appear after washing before Overcoat .
    As I said before I`m not going to have heart attack over it so I may wait for a week after coating.

Dunno. Maybe I`m wrong. Still have a time to think about it .

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Rim, came from Esoteric. I thought the 250ml was going to be new stock.
    Thanks umi000 thanked for this post

Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread Information