Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 466
  1. #211
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Absolutely, the practical approach would be to wait out the life of any previously applied Kamikaze coatings. They`re doing a great job of tempting us though. Heck the bottle is gold. And they have a photo of the guy who created these products and he looks like a mad scientist, which is appealing to me.
    Got a chance to speak with him last year at the Open House; he`s quite the enthusiastic guy, that`s for sure. I mentioned how much easier the coatings make keeping a car cleaner and he went into the chemistry of why that is so; no marketing-speak, no claims of this or that just chemical names, interactions and other stuff that was way, way over my head....but interesting nonetheless. A true enthusiast for sure. Part of the appeal for me as well.

    Some people like pics w/ celebrities...give me a chance to get a pic with a guy who puts useful chemicals into small little bottles and I`m all over that; I even went `formal` for the occasion:

    Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    I laugh whenever I see the title of this thread bc I`ve definitely fallen through the rabbit hole no thanks to bp1.
    Yeah, I think the thread title has kinda outlived it`s original intention, eh? Seemed like a good idea at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Ahh come on Budget..who is "practical" on here
    I`d imagine somewhere there might be a practical user in the true sense of the world. On the other hand, when looked at with an eye towards "I have practically every product in the Polish Angel line..." well, didn`t you recently post a pic of your Shelf of Angels?

    Hope you`re feeling better too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes 512detail, SWETM, showbbq liked this post

  2. #212

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    I`m curious about Kamikaze`s claim of "don`t use any other brand of topper, etc." except Overcoat. I am really liking my PA High Gloss...

    Chris
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  3. #213

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    As far as i know, gotta be *the* costliest consumer avaliable coating out there, no?

    Will be interesting to see how the claimed `semi self healing` works out. If viable, the high cost is justifiable, if not, well...

    Overcoat 2 is rumoured to be a late summer release, maybe by then more will be known regarding Zipang in the real world and worth the jump with 2 new products.
    I`ve not seen a coating cost that much, especially for one 30ml bottle. I was figured it was going to be a package, miyabi + zipang, and maybe overcoat. Assuming you can do 2 coats with 30ml than do to do the "best" roughly be $400, if you could only get 1 coat than... yeah that is really expensive.

    So zipang is roughly a third more expensive miyabi + ism combo. Hmm have a friend who just bought a new tahoe wants me to help him put a coating on. Maybe I can convince him to try this stuff out, 30ml though for a giant tahoe...

  4. #214
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    I`ve not seen a coating cost that much, especially for one 30ml bottle. I was figured it was going to be a package, miyabi + zipang, and maybe overcoat. Assuming you can do 2 coats with 30ml than do to do the "best" roughly be $400, if you could only get 1 coat than... yeah that is really expensive.

    So zipang is roughly a third more expensive miyabi + ism combo. Hmm have a friend who just bought a new tahoe wants me to help him put a coating on. Maybe I can convince him to try this stuff out, 30ml though for a giant tahoe...
    If going for the `BEST` on a large Tahoe, I`m thinking 30ml might not be enough for 2 coats...but ya never know, I guess.

  5. #215

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    As far as i know, gotta be *the* costliest consumer avaliable coating out there, no?

    Will be interesting to see how the claimed `semi self healing` works out. If viable, the high cost is justifiable, if not, well...

    Overcoat 2 is rumoured to be a late summer release, maybe by then more will be known regarding Zipang in the real world and worth the jump with 2 new products.
    The itch will be strongest when both Zipang and Overcoat 2 are released and Esoteric has also released reviews/instruction videos for both products lol. Self healing won`t help with the rock chips from highway driving. If you are planning to repaint, polish, re-coat relatively frequently, wouldn`t zipang and it`s longevity claims be wasted on the Accord? It may help with the jewelry and cargo scratches though. If anything, you can always repair the accord when you have some leftover miyabi/ism from doing other cars. You can re-coat the areas where you are paint correcting.


    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    I`ve not seen a coating cost that much, especially for one 30ml bottle. I was figured it was going to be a package, miyabi + zipang, and maybe overcoat. Assuming you can do 2 coats with 30ml than do to do the "best" roughly be $400, if you could only get 1 coat than... yeah that is really expensive.

    So zipang is roughly a third more expensive miyabi + ism combo. Hmm have a friend who just bought a new tahoe wants me to help him put a coating on. Maybe I can convince him to try this stuff out, 30ml though for a giant tahoe...
    I doubt you`ll be able to get more than 1 coat with a 30 ml bottle with a Tahoe. You can`t even use a Miyabi 30 ml bottle as a gauge either if you are planning to do the 1 Zipang / 1 Miyabi / 1 Zipang sandwich. If the Tahoe came with something like a panoramic moon roof, that might help his cause with all the glass on the roof that doesn`t need to be coated.

  6. #216

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    If going for the `BEST` on a large Tahoe, I`m thinking 30ml might not be enough for 2 coats...but ya never know, I guess.
    I`d be astonished to get 30ml to last for two coats on such a larger vehicle. I`m already stretching his budget by a healthy amount just considering zipang. More than likely it would just be zipang by itself which could be a solid first test. It would not be on a garage queen car thats first sure.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  7. #217

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    I`d be thrilled to give the Zipang/Miyabi sandwich a try but it`s not in my financial budget plan at the moment. Now if they need volunteers for real world testing..
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  8. #218
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Saber732 View Post
    The itch will be strongest when both Zipang and Overcoat 2 are released and Esoteric has also released reviews/instruction videos for both products lol. Self healing won`t help with the rock chips from highway driving. If you are planning to repaint, polish, re-coat relatively frequently, wouldn`t zipang and it`s longevity claims be wasted on the Accord? It may help with the jewelry and cargo scratches though. If anything, you can always repair the accord when you have some leftover miyabi/ism from doing other cars. You can re-coat the areas where you are paint correcting.
    I`m screwed regardless on the rock chips that seem to be drawn to my hood unless I fix, re-paint and PPF, which, well, lets be honest here, it`s a daily driver Accord...that ain`t gonna happen. When I do decide to re-coat, be it this year for mostly Zipang curiosity`s sake or next year, will DrColorchip the big ones and let the smaller stuff ride. Probably won`t bother to fix and re-coat the jewelry and trunk marks this year as the Miyabi/ISM is still doing great and they`re very minor items that I only notice when I wash it. And I`m lazy too.

    I`m guessing as summer drags on and hopefully life calms down, I`ll probably do Zipang because, well, I just can`t resist; "Know Thyself..." and all to be perfectly honest. Some night when I`m having trouble sleeping, it`ll seem like a good idea and I`ll go ahead and order it and then end up going all-in...it`s happened before. It`s not so much about protection and performance at times, curiosity sometimes makes the decisions.

  9. #219

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    I`m betting that 1 hour after Overcoat V2 comes out, you`ll spring for Zipang & OverCoat V2. What are hobbies good for if you avoid them? Sheesh.

  10. #220

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Damn he shot down the zipang, too expensive. On the plus side we`re going to use the exo v4 I picked up on father`s day special. I applied csl + exo to a friend`s lexus 1.5 years ago and still impressed (notch or two below kamikaze look wise). Longevity wise though, his is a daily and kept outdoors (in socal, and washed regularly). It definitely has lost most of the water beading characteristics but compared to an uncoated car it is significantly easier to clean still. My biggest complaint is the work time is pretty short for csl, and I prefer something in the 5-10 minute range.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

  11. #221
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I`m betting that 1 hour after Overcoat V2 comes out, you`ll spring for Zipang & OverCoat V2. What are hobbies good for if you avoid them? Sheesh.
    Heck, I almost loaded up the cart and pushed `BUY` the minute I saw the announcement. I think the restraint I ended up showing was quite admirable; personal growth, perhaps?

    Overcoat V2 will immediately trigger the buy impulse; if it`s anything like the version I tried at the Open House last year (and it maintains it`s current `goodness` with respect to performance), that`s just a no-brainer for me. It was as easy to apply as Cosmic (no streaks) and left the surface really slick with a touch more gloss. Only question then is what will jump into the cart with it?

  12. #222

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Heck, I almost loaded up the cart and pushed `BUY` the minute I saw the announcement. I think the restraint I ended up showing was quite admirable; personal growth, perhaps?

    Overcoat V2 will immediately trigger the buy impulse; if it`s anything like the version I tried at the Open House last year (and it maintains it`s current `goodness` with respect to performance), that`s just a no-brainer for me. It was as easy to apply as Cosmic (no streaks) and left the surface really slick with a touch more gloss. Only question then is what will jump into the cart with it?
    Damn I just picked up PA cosmic... though expensive 500ml is a lot. Weighed my options and just with the amount of coated cars around me that could use a topper quantity has a quality of its own.

  13. #223
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    I`m curious about Kamikaze`s claim of "don`t use any other brand of topper, etc." except Overcoat. I am really liking my PA High Gloss...

    Chris
    I`d certainly wait for someone else (most notably the vendor) to give it a try. While generally the `product synergy` rule is able to be bent and broken, I`d think I`d be treading lightly w/ respect to new stuff.

  14. #224

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    And they`re focused on their own research for their products. Certainly not shy about advertising Overcoat being compatible with everyone else`s coating though. It`s definitely my favorite topper/drying aid, so I`m looking forward to v2.

  15. #225
    BudgetPlan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

    A bit more info on the line: https://youtu.be/2uhAGhrnGqE

 

 
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Final thoughts/good bye on McKee37 paint coating
    By donbeezy in forum Waxes, Sealants, and LSP's
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-04-2017, 09:20 PM
  2. Anyone have thoughts on Kamikaze Coatings...
    By cobrar97 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2016, 07:01 AM
  3. Initial Thoughts: HD Express & 3D Final Touch
    By TroyScherer in forum 3D / High Definition Car Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 05:07 PM
  4. Polish, wax, seal - final thoughts?
    By tCspool in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM
  5. Thoughts on Meguiars Final Inspection?
    By sellncars in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •