Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Awesome explanation and thanks for shareing your experience and thoughts budgetplan! I`m to a sheeting guy and thinks that is a big part in the self cleaning ability. But as you said the small tight beading is also interesting in that it gets evaporated in a faster way maybe. That also ad to the self cleaning ability. Will be intresting to follow how the miyabi+ISM+Infinity+Overcoat does with low maintance and high mileage. And most when the Overcoat is gone and the Infinity is at the top.

It`s so fun and interesting to follow your foundings and experience. And it`s hard to beat this kind of overlook at different coatings and the amount of them.

The testing you did on a fleet vehical hood with recharge and Overcoat and 22ple top coating. Was the first impression on the Overcoat alone like it is on the whole system with the kamikaze coatings? I think the structure the coatings gives in water behavior and self cleaning ability is excelled when topping with toppers vs the toppers alone. Do you think it`s a right thought?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Will be intresting to follow how the miyabi+ISM+Infinity+Overcoat does with low maintance and high mileage. And most when the Overcoat is gone and the Infinity is at the top.
    Common sense tells me this will be an apparent/easily distinguishable change if product layers are peeled off 1 by 1. Infinity Wax is bigger on beading and bead movement (like Syncro, with a similar water contact angle):

Infinity Wax: https://youtu.be/s4AJWSlhf6E

Reality, however, tells me it won`t be so plain to see because that would just be too easy. Next time I have some Infinity Wax around, I`ll try and look for a bare hood and see how it does alone and topped with Overcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The testing you did on a fleet vehical hood with recharge and Overcoat and 22ple top coating. Was the first impression on the Overcoat alone like it is on the whole system with the kamikaze coatings? I think the structure the coatings gives in water behavior and self cleaning ability is excelled when topping with toppers vs the toppers alone. Do you think it`s a right thought?
    It doesn`t entirely makes sense to me as one would think what`s on top would 100% dictate water behavior but I did get a sense that coatings + Overcoat worked better overall than Overcoat alone.

On a side note, extreme water contact angles, which Nanolex mentions in their marketing via the `Lotus Effect` references, suggest high contact angles are better at self cleaning. I guess the leaves of the lotus plant have some killer beading properties, maybe even greater than Syncro which is the highest I`ve noticed in coating products.

I should stop by the water garden place by work; i think they sell lotus plants there. Maybe if I removed coating residue with a lotus leaf instead of a microfiber towel, I would approach a whole `nuther level of water behavior.
    Likes SWETM, Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty happy with Kamikaze but I may give syncro a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    I`m pretty happy with Kamikaze but I may give syncro a shot
    If you like crazy slickness and neat beads that move around a surface like little drops of mercury, you won`t be disappointed with Syncro. It`s quite entertaining...
    Likes showbbq, pdqgp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Zipang coat? 5+ years??! $319 though.

Post Thanks / Like

No coating is going to last you 5 years for normal everyday use. Sure put in on a queen and drive it on wkends, than you may get 5 years out of it. All those 5 years + is a total marketing rubbish speak. Or a total BS in Australian speak

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoweredByJenga View Post
    No coating is going to last you 5 years for normal everyday use. Sure put in on a queen and drive it on wkends, than you may get 5 years out of it. All those 5 years + is a total marketing rubbish speak. Or a total BS in Australian speak

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
    Yep...daily use, regardless of shine and hydrophobic properties, will inflict enough flaws that 2 years is likely the ocd-ish limit.

That said, of course I`ll likely jump in at some point this summer...`cuz I`m a junkie for Kamikaze. Just don`t know what to use it on as all of our cars are still doing great with the Miyabi/ISM combo and at $420 for the Zipang/Miyabi sandwich, I`d prefer to see it work every day.

Zipang Coat`by KAMIKAZE-Collection not only represents an evolution in their world-renowned coatings that are hand-made in Japan, but it’s also the highest performing coating in the KAMIKAZE lineup.`

Sticking with KAMIKAZE-Collection’s traditional development processes,`Zipang Coat`was created with ease of use in mind. This ease of use, along with the highest levels of performance, are what have made the KAMIKAZE coatings so popular with both the professional detailer and detailing enthusiasts alike.``

With`Zipang Coat, the chemistry provides even higher levels of gloss and brilliance than their ISM / ISM Pro coatings, and it offers semi self-healing characteristics, meaning that the appearance of small swirls of imperfections in the coating surface will reduce when exposed to heat.`

For those looking for the ultimate in coating protection, we recommend`Zipang Coat`for its unmatched looks, hydrophobicity, ease of use, and semi self-healing technology. Durability is rated at 5+ years. Zipang Coat also provides a darkening effect to the paint (blacks will be deeper black, richer reds, etc), and has the ability to lightly fill small imperfections in the paint.`

For maintaining`Zipang Coat, we recommend washing the vehicle with a pH neutral shampoo like`Gyeon Bathe`or`Bathe Essence, then using`KAMIKAZE Overcoat`every 4~6 washes. ```

Layering Options for Zipang Coat:`

Good: 1 layer of Zipang Coat

Better: Base layer of`Miyabi Coat, topped with Zipang Coat

Best: Base layer of Zipang Coat, middle layer of Miyabi Coat, top layer of Zipang Coat (This will provide the best looks, best durability, and the most semi self-healing characteristics).`

Application Instructions:`

` `Shake bottle` `Apply a little bit of Zipang Coat onto`applicator cloth/block…enough for an even coverage.` `Apply to surface in straight lines only (do not cross-hatch) with a little overlap to ensure a thick, even coverage to the surface.` `Using a 2-towel method (one designated for the initial wipe, the second to do the final wipe), gently remove the coating residue using small, circular motions after 3~5 minutes (1-2 panels at a time). Humidity levels and ambient temperature will have an effect on curing time, so the higher the temperature and humidity, the shorter the amount of time between application and removal.` `After applying to the entire vehicle, be sure to look carefully for “high spots”, or darker patches where the coating wasn’t fully removed. Wipe these down right away, otherwise they will require machine polishing to remove if allowed to cure overnight.` `Do not allow the vehicle to get wet for at least 24 hours (the longer, the better), and don’t wash vehicle for 1 week.` `If using multiple layers as outlined in “layering options”, give 1~2 hours between layers.

Notes:

Do not use maintenance products other than Overcoat by KAMIKAZE.Only use pH neutral shampoos, with no additives, gloss enhancers, waxes, or polymers.Do not use any other types of toppers, coatings, waxes, sealants, no-rinse washes, or quick detailers with Zipang Coat. The looks, performance, and durability will suffer as a result!Can be used on both painted surfaces, and plastic trim.Designed, developed, and intended for professional-use only.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just wait until your Civic’s Miyabi/ISM coat reaches its end of life? $420 is a hefty chunk of change to use on any car other than one of your own if it’s coming out of your pocket. 1-2 year is a long time to wait but who knows by the time Kamikaze will have release an even better coat.

Post Thanks / Like

That would certainly be the wise and practical thing to do...and we know how that sometimes plays out Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Even though it`s nearing 21 months, the Civic only has 12k miles on the coating(s) so I`m expecting a 48 month/30k mile lifespan, a long way down the road.

I`d expect my black 2017 Accord daily driver would be the prime candidate. Even though that coating is only 9 months old, it`s already at about 21k *hard* miles. 95% freeway driving has left the hood with some notable rock chips, passenger door near handle has some `jewelry strike` scratches and trunk has some slight scratching from lazy loading/unloading.

The coating is still doing great with regards to appearance and performance but the question is whether or not I can live with the defects for another 12 months as I expect to recoat it in Spring/Summer 2019 at around 40k miles.

We`ll see how I do with the whole `patience and practicality` thing as the Summer progresses. The other concern is what if I lose some of the primary benefits if Miyabi/ISM with an as of yet unproven to me Zipang application? I don`t wanna go backwards...

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Saber732 View Post
    Why not just wait until your Civic’s Miyabi/ISM coat reaches its end of life? $420 is a hefty chunk of change to use on any car other than one of your own if it’s coming out of your pocket. 1-2 year is a long time to wait but who knows by the time Kamikaze will have release an even better coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn I really would have liked to have given Zipang coating a shot... recently did the kamikaze miyabi and ism thing. That being said $320 is a lot to throw down on a 30ml bottle.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    Damn I really would have liked to have given Zipang coating a shot... recently did the kamikaze miyabi and ism thing. That being said $320 is a lot to throw down on a 30ml bottle.
    As far as i know, gotta be *the* costliest consumer avaliable coating out there, no?

Will be interesting to see how the claimed `semi self healing` works out. If viable, the high cost is justifiable, if not, well...

Overcoat 2 is rumoured to be a late summer release, maybe by then more will be known regarding Zipang in the real world and worth the jump with 2 new products.

Post Thanks / Like

My attept at comparing some coatings:

coatings_2 by toni.pieleanu, on Flickr

From left to right: Gyeon MOHS (2 layers), Mr. FIX 9H, CQuartzUK, Nanolex SiShield. All without any topcoats, hardened for 2 weeks before any water was introduced.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, the practical approach would be to wait out the life of any previously applied Kamikaze coatings. They`re doing a great job of tempting us though. Heck the bottle is gold. And they have a photo of the guy who created these products and he looks like a mad scientist, which is appealing to me.

I laugh whenever I see the title of this thread bc I`ve definitely fallen through the rabbit hole no thanks to bp1.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That would certainly be the wise and practical thing to do...and we know how that sometimes plays out Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Even though it`s nearing 21 months, the Civic only has 12k miles on the coating(s) so I`m expecting a 48 month/30k mile lifespan, a long way down the road.

I`d expect my black 2017 Accord daily driver would be the prime candidate. Even though that coating is only 9 months old, it`s already at about 21k *hard* miles. 95% freeway driving has left the hood with some notable rock chips, passenger door near handle has some `jewelry strike` scratches and trunk has some slight scratching from lazy loading/unloading.

The coating is still doing great with regards to appearance and performance but the question is whether or not I can live with the defects for another 12 months as I expect to recoat it in Spring/Summer 2019 at around 40k miles.

We`ll see how I do with the whole `patience and practicality` thing as the Summer progresses. The other concern is what if I lose some of the primary benefits if Miyabi/ISM with an as of yet unproven to me Zipang application? I don`t wanna go backwards...

Hmmm....
    Ahh come on Budget..who is "practical" on here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonipieleanu View Post
    My attept at comparing some coatings:

coatings_2 by toni.pieleanu, on Flickr

From left to right: Gyeon MOHS (2 layers), Mr. FIX 9H, CQuartzUK, Nanolex SiShield. All without any topcoats, hardened for 2 weeks before any water was introduced.
    What are your thoughts on each?

Looks like Mr. Fix 9h is doing well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WashRinseRepeat; 06-20-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Add comment

Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information