Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Ok... I have also sampled just about all of the coatings on the list. Except Miyabi.. I live in Wisconsin, there is a ```` ton of salt every winter. Not one coating has given me good results on my side panels through a whole winter. Same goes for my hood. I`m utterly shocked at how much coatings go for, I`m guilty of charging stupid money for them too. It`s very disappointing to see the coatings disintegrate after a month or 2 of winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Speaking of Dr. Beasley`s...

BudgetPlan: Didn`t I see you post somewhere a while back you had purchased a bottle of the regular Nano Resin?

I find the price interesting, but the lack of reviews make it too much of a wild card.
    I did, but never got around to using it so I shipped it off to a forum user; USPS said it got there but it was never rec`d by user I sent it to. Tried to follow up with USPS and they basically said "We show it as being delivered, nothing more we can do".

Easy come, easy go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Ok... I have also sampled just about all of the coatings on the list. Except Miyabi.. I live in Wisconsin, there is a ```` ton of salt every winter. Not one coating has given me good results on my side panels through a whole winter. Same goes for my hood. I`m utterly shocked at how much coatings go for, I`m guilty of charging stupid money for them too. It`s very disappointing to see the coatings disintegrate after a month or 2 of winter.
    My first coating, WG Uber Ceramic didn`t make it thru winter on sides of vehicle; Iron remover, tar remover, what the heck...it`s toast so I`m gonna clay it; nothing brought it back. About 350 miles a week, 5 days a week on 4 of the worst freeways in Cleveland...Dead.

On my wifes winter/daily driver, Kamikaze combo applied 10/2016...still performing excellent on all areas of car but she only drives about 6500 miles a year, likely 75% local, 25% freeway. Car does sit outside under variety of trees for 8 months of the year, fall really drops crap all over it and yet it perseveres. For some reason, this car always looks clean...I`m thinking its the way air flows over the panels that doesn`t leave many `dead spots` so the underlying coating has a chance to shed water on nearly every surface. 2016 Honda Civic Coupe.

My 2017 Accord Coupe, applied Kamikaze combo to last August, about 12k miles since then, horrible, horrible winter commute this year. Feb 19th was kinda a nice day here so i was able to wash/decon. Upon initial wash, typical lack of obvious hydrophobic behavior on sides of car. Between Foam, Whips Wax Road Salt remover, Gyeon Tar on sides of car and a few pressure rinses/foam cycles/bucket washes, coating returned to original hydrophobic behavior. All other steps *besides* Gyeon Tar got me to about 50% or so of original performance, Gyeon Tar took it the final 50%. Guess sometimes it takes a bit more to remove the accumulated road, salt, brine and chemical de-icers they slather all over the roads up here.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, Strong66 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Budget---does Claying the vehicle remove any of the coatings that you can tell, Im using the Kamikaze combo on my truck!!

Also does it hurt or have you tried after washing then applying a coat of Overcoat, to go back over it with Cancoat for an additional layer?
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Hey Budget---does Claying the vehicle remove any of the coatings that you can tell, Im using the Kamikaze combo on my truck!!

Also does it hurt or have you tried after washing then applying a coat of Overcoat, to go back over it with Cancoat for an additional layer?
    Claying a coating is generally not very well received although I think it`s more due to the chance of possibly inducing some marring to the surface as opposed to harming the coating in any way. That said, 22ple came out after SEMA 2017 with supposedly glass coat safe clay, description below:

22ple Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay will help you remove lightly embedded contamination from the paint with ease! This truly unique clay is specially formulated without abrasives, allowing it to not only work well on bare paint but to work on a glass coated surface without leaving micro scratches. The incredibly malleable bar is easily shaped and with some clay lube, it will glide across the surface readily. It works great with virtually all clay lubes, so keep using your favorite one. You will notice right away this bar has the rare balance of great cleaning power but very gentle on your paint so you don`t introduce marring. 22ple recommends storing this bar in a cool area in between uses. If it is stored near heat, it will become a little tacky but you can easily fix it by placing it back in a cool area. The bar will regain its original feel and work great for you! This is a really remarkable type of clay that will impress anyone who loves car care. So take your paint to the next level with a deep cleaning from the 22ple Ultra Soft Glass Coat Clay!
    I did use it on a fleet vehicle I coated with 22ple HPC last fall (lotsa lube) and it didn`t appear to mar the surface or be detrimental to the coating in any way.

As for Kamikaze in particular, I`ll usually get to spring and do the `ol decon wash, including applications of Gyeon Iron, Gyeon Tar which pretty much rejuvenates the coatings hydrophobic properties. I kinda did a test run of this about a month ago on my heavily used and abused Kamikaze coated car and the Gyeon Tar really helped rejuvenate the sides of the car where, at first blush, the coating had lost all it`s beneficial properties.

I would hesitate to clay a *my* coated car, instead trying to decon using chemical means and see what that brings. It certainly seemed the best approach for me when I gave it a run through last month.

As for CanCoat over Kamikaze, I`ve moved to more of a minimalist approach with regards to SiO2 products on my own personal cars. I`ve gotten into a groove with maintenance and prefer not to introduce anything outside of the product `family` to the surface, aside from Foam and Wash. I mucked about with things like Gyeon Bathe+, Gyeon WetCoat but there was never really any benefit in my eyes.

I tend to like to keep our personal cars `pure` with respect enhancers/boosters...Foam with Gyeon Foam, wash with Gyeon Bathe, dry with Kami Overcoat...and that`s about it as far as paint maintenance goes. It works well for us so I`m reluctant to add anything to a successful regiment cuz, well, sometimes things don`t go as planned and I`m not sure of the benefit of `stacking` a bunch of coating/SiO2 products. Sometimes more isn`t better after a certain point.

When our Corvette was coated with Wolfgang Uber before I moved completely to Kamikaze, I was maintaining it with Overcoat and it was doing OK. Introduced TAC Moonlight into the routine for a week or two and it did not play nice, resulting in having to remove the coatings and start over...was just never right afterwards. On some of our fleete vehicles, I`ll give anything a try...personal cars, not so much; took a long time, no small amount of $$ to get to a place of contentment, don`t wanna much that up.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks for all the info--I respect all you say very much when it comes to this stuff lol-----I will try the 22ple clay for sure, after all that hard work I put into my truck I do not want harm the coating in any way! So the Gyeon Iron, Gyeon Tar does not harm the coating in any way, thats great to know, I may have to get those as well for after winter clean up!!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I can clay conventional LSPs without compromising them, I`d expect to be able to clay a coating. I`ve done it to coated wheels with no evidence of compromising.

BudgetPlan1- I`m sure glad that *my* area of NE Ohio doesn`t use whatever roadsalt/etc. you`re dealing with! I`m just washing it right off with shampoo mix, easy as can be, usually just rinses off with warm water through the pressure washer. Oh man would I go nuts if I had to really work at it (any harder than I do when I wash ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If I can clay conventional LSPs without compromising them, I`d expect to be able to clay a coating. I`ve done it to coated wheels with no evidence of compromising.

BudgetPlan1- I`m sure glad that *my* area of NE Ohio doesn`t use whatever roadsalt/etc. you`re dealing with! I`m just washing it right off with shampoo mix, easy as can be, usually just rinses off with warm water through the pressure washer. Oh man would I go nuts if I had to really work at it (any harder than I do when I wash ).
    70 miles a day...Lake County, I90 to I271 to I480 to I77 and then home again. 480 and 90 in Lake County always swimming in whatever nasty liquid de-icer comes outta the back of those trucks...sprays all over the windshield too. Nasty, vile stuff.

Then when I get to work often park in a warehouse filled wirh a couple of tons liquid chlorine, granular chlorine, hydrochloric acid and other assorted pool chemicals. It`s quite the toxic environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget plan, this is off topic but was wondering if you could recommend a pool liner (brand, thickness etc.) I will be replacing it sometime in April or May. I have a 24 ft round above ground. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    Budget plan, this is off topic but was wondering if you could recommend a pool liner (brand, thickness etc.) I will be replacing it sometime in April or May. I have a 24 ft round above ground. Thanks
    No worries, although likely not much help...we don`t really deal with above ground, and we sub out our inground liner installs. Our ingrounds usually go with GLI but not sure if they do retail or above grounds.

Back when we were younger (late 1990`s) a friend`s 24ft above ground needed a new liner so he ordered one from one the online places like InTheSwim, Doheneys Water Warehouse, poolsupplies.com and we put it in. Not too bad, took some time and patience...much like detailing, the key is the prep; floor, bottom cove if you have it, consistency and condition of walls and skimmer/return openings, etc. The liner we did long ago is still doing ok...faded, if course, but structurally sound.

Our ingrounds are generally 28mil but I think above grounds are lighter, more in the 18 to 22 mil range. For the most part, heavier/thicker is better as long as the surrounding pool structure can take the added weight...those liners can be heavy...generally a 16x32 is a 2 man task to lift and something to consider while wrestling liner into position.

When installing, the more people you have around the perimeter of the pool, the better...easier to shift the liner as necessary.

The link below has some info that provides a bit of a foundation and things to consider

https://www.swimuniversity.com/all-a...d-pool-liners/

Maybe take the same approach I do with solar covers...not the thinnest, not the thickest but rather something in the middle. I once got a 16mil solar cover cuz it was the thickest they made, must be more durable, no? Well, it was but it was so heavy my wife couldn`t comfortably roll it up on the cover reel. Oops...now go with 12mil max, often 8 mil as I kinda consider solar covers to be disposable, 2 to 3 year items despite mfg claims of longevity. Kinda like coatings.

Join troublefreepool.com forums, encyclopedic pool information there, good bunch of folks who have seen and done it all, pro and amateur.

Feel free to PM with any pool questions if necessary...in addition to being a coating junkie, I`m a a bit of a pool geek too; the mechanics of the equipment and the chemistry of the water fascinates me. So much so that when my corporate IT job got offshored in 2010 after 25 years, I decided I wanted to be a Pool Boy instead of going back to the corporate life, found the best pool company in the area and kept sending them letters until they finally agreed to talk to/interview me. Musta said something right cuz they hired me to drive around cleaning pools for 5 months outta the year. 48 year old pool boy starting at the bottom of the ladder.

Have never since regretted that decision...money ain`t everything; happiness and a genuine interest in your work makes up for a lot. And I don`t have to dress up or shave everyday either.

Now what was this thread about again?

Edit: If you happen to have a Doughboy above ground, your decision may be simpler as I think all their stuff is kinda proprietary.

Also, try to plan the install for a sunny day; if it`s cold and cloudy the liner isn`t very pliable, making it tougher to handle/stretch into position. Cold vinyl ain`t much fun and this is the kinda jib that can really tax your fingers from gripping/pulling the liner. Back when we did our own inground installs, often we`d unpack the liner, unfold it inside the pool and let it warm up in the sun for an hour or 2 to `soften up`.

And once you have it in to your satisfaction , begin filling immediately; liners in empty pools can shrink if left unfilled. Not overnite or in a day or two when new but no reason to risk it.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

very cool discussion all around. Love the mid life career change. Something i have been thinking about alot. Why Kamazaize Miyabi, ISM and then overcoat? Why not just one of them? You clearly like to detail your car alot, why not just the overcoat if thats where the pop is coming from? Just trying to understand coatings and the need for different "layers" still coming from the wax/sealant era. I have a truck that gets driveway parked here in florida so humid, hot and rainy. Would like to offer up better protection. Thanks!
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Why Kamazaize Miyabi, ISM and then overcoat? Why not just one of them?
    It`s claimed greater longevity using the combo of Miyabi as base, ISM on top. Miyabi a harder coating with sharp type of gloss that turns softer and deeper with ISM on top. Overcoat just used to maintain entertaining water behavior, keep the gloss up (I guess) and because it makes drying so much quicker/easier.

So I guess the combo works for me because it looks good to me, seems to so far hold up well for my needs and location and, well, it`s just plain fun. Easy to use so not too much stress goes into application anymore. A few other intangibles go into it, but that`s pretty much the basics.

I like 22ple HPC too and will use that as well for much the same reasons as Kamikaze, but with our dark and metallic cars, Kamikaze lends a bit more depth and character to the finish, in my eyes. Probably imperceptible to others, maybe an illusion to me, but still `something`.

You clearly like to detail your car alot,
    To be honest, I like clean cars but don`t really like cleaning cars, hence the search for something that would help remedy that. Then I kinda got hooked on coatings as entertainment, had an easily accessible selection of test vehicles that I could see/watch perform most every day and got a little carried away. Oops.
    Likes Stokdgs, Strong66, Jaddie, SWETM, glfnaz and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    To be honest, I like clean cars but don`t really like cleaning cars, hence the search for something that would help remedy that. Then I kinda got hooked on coatings as entertainment, had an easily accessible selection of test vehicles that I could see/watch perform most every day and got a little carried away. Oops.
    I really like to detail my vehicles but I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t like to have to detail vehicles. I know that sounds odd and maybe what it means is that if I have to do it, they really need it and are too dirty. I like to have a vacant morning and walk outside and think, I’ll just freshin’ this up as opposed to that thing’s so dirty I won’t be seen in it. Winter automatically puts the vehicles in the latter position. Must be getting old.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, Strong66, Jaddie, SWETM and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I really like to detail my vehicles but I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t like to have to detail vehicles. I know that sounds odd and maybe what it means is that if I have to do it, they really need it and are too dirty. I like to have a vacant morning and walk outside and think, I’ll just freshin’ this up as opposed to that thing’s so dirty I won’t be seen in it. Winter automatically puts the vehicles in the latter position. Must be getting old.
    Its a time factor for me. My job now really sucks up free time in a lot of cases. I like to detail but don’t have as much time as I used to. The car being coated makes it a lot easier to keep up with.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, Strong66, Jaddie, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I hear ya on that. The whole coating thing began to get a little obsessive as opposed to enjoyable, a quest almost. It kinda came to light when I was doing the Nanoloex Si3SD which, although I had kinda read enough to determine that it was average at best with regards to performance, was mostly done because 1) I hadda order from UK ("I`m gonna try this no matter what, you can`t stop me") and 2) I was mostly interested in the quirky application process. Glad I got to experience it but it was a silly reason to do it, made no practical sense whatsoever.

Wanna kinda get back to doing vehicles that I enjoy doing, either for the sake of a really neat paint color or vehicles I can do over the course of a week or so, enjoying the process as much as the results. I like dark metallic reds and blues and black is always fun, especially when it`s totally beat up. I`ll still muck about with occasional new coatings that interest me (I see CarPro will soon be releasing a new version of Cquartz UK, will give that a go at some point) but I`m hoping the need to try as many coatings as I have just for the sake of trying them is a thing that is slowly subsiding.

I`ve done enough with 22ple and Kamikaze that applying them is now almost akin to using a wax or sealant as far as ease of application goes, may as well stick with what I know works and what I work with well. Have many people at work and in neighborhood who would like their cars done so that`ll hopefully be enough for me to stay in the game this Spring/Summer but won`t be providing totally no charge stuff anymore just for the opportunity to try a new product; they`ll have to pony up for the materials cost of the coating now `cuz me paying for everything just to get experience is, uh...fiscally irresponsible to myself. No regrets on what I`ve done so far, well worth the cost of admission for the knowledge gained but I hope I`ll be getting back to doing it for fun as opposed to doing it just to check another product off the list.

Then again, I`ve said that before...
    Likes SWETM, nickclark08 liked this post

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information