Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Well, may as well finish the new trucks up with everything I`ve got. Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, a coat of Infinity Wax, all topped up with Overcoat:

...and finally a smallish vehicle, polished with Gyeon Primer, Flex 3401 and black LC Force Hybrid Black Finishing pad. Will be using Gyeon One on it tomorrow and after a suggestion from Jeremy @ Gyeon, gonna top it with CanCoat.
    Likes Ronkh, MattPersman, SWETM, Tc99m, glfnaz and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget

Nicely done....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you ever get worried that you may be saturating the paint with nano particles with all the testing that you`ve been doing on the same vehicles? That maybe polishing doesn`t really remove all of it and that repeated iterations of various coatings wll have an affect on each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Do you ever get worried that you may be saturating the paint with nano particles with all the testing that you`ve been doing on the same vehicles? That maybe polishing doesn`t really remove all of it and that repeated iterations of various coatings wll have an affect on each other.
    Not really; I suppose anything is possible but looking at some of the multiple testing done by some Autopians, it`s really not much of a concern....at the present.

There`s a few vehicles that have had 2 or 3 things on the hoods, most are single application coatings, at most topped up with `boosters` or CanCoat after 20k miles or so.

The below is a summary of all these vehicles that I have access to on a regular basis to see how they are doing, most are not that heavily laden with products, certainly not to the extent of some things I`ve seen here or outside of mfg recommendations:

Van 1: Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, Infinity Wax x 1, Overcoat applied 02/08/2017.

Van 3: Feynlab Ceramic + TopCoat applied 02/02/2018

Van 9: Cquartz & Gyeon Cure applied 01/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + IGL Premier refresh 10/2017.

Van 10: Gloss Shop Ceramic V1 applied 03/2017

Van 11: 22ple HPC + VS1 Final Coat applied March 2017; refresh 01/207 w/ 22ple glass coat clay, 22ple Finitura & 22ple VS1 Final Coat

Van 13: Gyeon Syncro applied 01/26/2018

Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017.

Van 17: Gyeon Prime + CanCoat + IGL Premier applied 11/2017; hood buffed clean, HydroSilex Recharge, Kamikaze OVercoat & 22ple VS1 Final Coat applied in 1/3 sections, 02/03/2018

Van 18 Hood: IGL Quartz + Premier (passenger side) and 22ple HPC + Finitura + VS1 Final Coat (driver side) applied 12/2017

Ranger 6: Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017.

Ranger 7: Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2 applied 10/2017.

Ranger 9: Pearl Nano applied 03/2017.

Black Honda CR-V: 22ple HPC + VS1 applied April 2017.

White 2017 Ford F150: Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster applied 11/2017.

Crystal Red 2017 Ford Explorer: 22ple HPC + Finitura applied 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017; CanCoat refresh 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Overcoat applied 10/2017.

Mint Green Toyota Camry: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017.

Aegean Blue 2016 Honda Civic: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 10/2016.

Black 2017 Honda Accord: 22ple HPC applied June 2017, polished off with Scholls S20 Black and Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 9/2017

Black 2014 Corvette: WG Uber Ceramic applied April 2016, polished off and Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 08/2017
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I had lunch with Budget Man recently and we talked about some of this. Most all trucks in the fleet he lets the coatings run their entire course. That`s all part of his evaluations of each coating. In addition a lot of these vans go home with the technicians starting about April, then never come back much as the techs take them home. He gets to evaluate most all of them when they come back inside the shop when pool season ends. Then he`ll do a wash on them and evaluate gloss / beading/ dirt sheading, etc.
    It`s a real world clinical evaluation of various coatings. And the weirdest thing about it, Budget Man isn`t a tech in the shop assigned to maintain these vans. He`s an inside office operations manager. He plays with these coatings and toppers just for fun in his own free time.
    Likes SWETM, 392hemi liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

oops, I see Budget answered before I hit the POST button.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s cool. That`s alot more vehicles than I thought. I was just thinking hypothetically. Not questioning your methods. Since none of us really understand what`s going on at this nano level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Actually I had lunch with Budget Man recently and we talked about some of this. Most all trucks in the fleet he lets the coatings run their entire course. That`s all part of his evaluations of each coating. In addition a lot of these vans go home with the technicians starting about April, then never come back much as the techs take them home. He gets to evaluate most all of them when they come back inside the shop when pool season ends. Then he`ll do a wash on them and evaluate gloss / beading/ dirt sheading, etc.
    It`s a real world clinical evaluation of various coatings. And the weirdest thing about it, Budget Man isn`t a tech in the shop assigned to maintain these vans. He`s an inside office operations manager. He plays with these coatings and toppers just for fun in his own free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    That`s cool. That`s alot more vehicles than I thought. I was just thinking hypothetically. Not questioning your methods. Since none of us really understand what`s going on at this nano level.
    Yep...pretty much once an entire vehicle is coated, it gets around 15-20K miles with absolutely NO attention until the next fall, aside from what Mother Nature brings down upon it. Winter is slow in the pool biz in Ohio...summer, crazy time, I ain`t washing no vehicles!

Occasionally I`ll do some side-by-side on a hood here and there and there are some vehicles here with close to 200k HARD miles...those are cannon-fodder for whatever we can think of.

All in good fun...or the name of science. One of the two...I forget...
    Likes SWETM, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, finished up with the Nanolex Si3D so it *may* be it until Spring shows up for real...

Nanolex Si3D: Nanolex Si3D Coating

So now that all I’ve got left on the shelf is Gyeon Pure (which I likely won’t be using until Spring comes here in Cleveland), I’ll have to satisfy my coating curiosities by watching the below vehicles, which I will likely see 5 days a week going forward. Some are lightly maintained, some probably not at all, some a bit more but all the work vehicles are a ‘fire and forget’ proposition and then I’ll check ‘em out probably 20k miles from now. Even though it’s not yet truly Spring, the pool biz in NE Ohio is starting to ramp up, most technicians come back in a week so won’t be able to pull and more vehicles aside for the foreseeable future. The Nanolex van will probably hit the street next Monday, the Gyeon Syncro van was let out about 750 miles or so and the Kamikaze van probably first week of April. Should be an interesting season to watch…

Aside from the Gyeon Pure, don’t really have anything else in mind that interests me, coating-wise. Would like to try Optimum Gloss Coat and Cquartz UK at some point but that’s just a passing interest; have heard UK is ‘sticky’ so curious about that and Opti just never got a real interest in but would like to try at some point just to experience them. Tired of vans, tired of Ford Race Red paint, tired of washing pads/towels at 10pm, tired of laying awake plotting my next adventure. Maybe `really` done with trying stuff just for the entertainment involved? We`ll see...

*If I run across a self-healing coating that is available to consumers, all bets are off...just no way I could pass up THAT opportunity if it`s a reputable product with a solid reputation.

Van 1: Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, Infinity Wax x 1, Overcoat applied 02/08/2017.

Van 3: Feynlab Ceramic + TopCoat applied 02/02/2018

Van 9: Cquartz & Gyeon Cure applied 01/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + IGL Premier refresh 10/2017.

Van 10: Gloss Shop Ceramic V1 applied 03/2017

Van 11: 22ple HPC + VS1 Final Coat applied March 2017; refresh 01/207 w/ 22ple glass coat clay, 22ple Finitura & 22ple VS1 Final Coat

Van 12: Gyeon One + Gyeon Cure applied to hood 02/12/2018; Gyeon One removed and Nanolex Si3D + SiFinish applied 03/08/2018 to body, McKees V2 to roof.

Van 13: Gyeon Syncro applied 01/26/2018

Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017.

Van 17: Gyeon Prime + CanCoat + IGL Premier applied 11/2017; hood buffed clean, HydroSilex Recharge, Kamikaze OVercoat & 22ple VS1 Final Coat applied in 1/3 sections, 02/03/2018

Van 18 Hood: IGL Quartz + Premier (passenger side) and 22ple HPC + Finitura + VS1 Final Coat (driver side) applied 12/2017

Ranger 6: Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017.

Ranger 7: Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2 applied 10/2017.

Ranger 9: Pearl Nano applied 03/2017.

Black Honda CR-V: 22ple HPC + VS1 applied April 2017.

White 2017 Ford F150: Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster applied 11/2017.

Crystal Red 2017 Ford Explorer: 22ple HPC + Finitura applied 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017; CanCoat refresh 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Overcoat applied 10/2017.

Mint Green Toyota Camry: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017.

Aegean Blue 2016 Honda Civic: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 10/2016.

Black 2017 Honda Accord: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 9/2017

Lunar Silver 2018 Honda HR-V; Gyeon Primer + Gyeon One + Gyeon CanCoat, applied 02/09/2018
    Likes kevincwelch, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel sorry for our AG brethren that can only discuss coatings sold by AG. Coatings are the cutting edge of detailing and the more information the better. They (AG) just released a new Blackfire coating, the only information so far is that it is good for two years. Wasn’t Black Label coating good for 3 years or something? Consumers are getting more educated and coatings are getting more diverse. If they want my money they are going to have to promise something better than is already on the market (or make it dirt cheap).
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I feel sorry for our AG brethren that can only discuss coatings sold by AG. Coatings are the cutting edge of detailing and the more information the better. They (AG) just released a new Blackfire coating, the only information so far is that it is good for two years. Wasn’t Black Label coating good for 3 years or something? Consumers are getting more educated and coatings are getting more diverse. If they want my money they are going to have to promise something better than is already on the market (or make it dirt cheap).
    It really seems as if there is something new coming out weekly...the next *greatest thing*; aside from the Gyeon SEMA releases a while back, nothing seems to catch my interest lately; CarPro GLISS was interesting for a bit but having used (and liked) Gyeon Booster, it wasn`t enough to make me try it. And the initial performance of Gyeon Syncro seems to indicate that it will be a more economical choice than Mohs + Booster. I wandered by the truck I did with Syncro yesterday, tossed some water on the hood and it rolled off quite nicely. When I got up close and blew a bit on a single bead (yea, it looked kinda dumb to onlookers but not the first time they`ve seen me do that) the bead slid across the quicker and with less resistance than *anything* I`ve used previously...it was quite impressive. How that translates into long term self cleaning, we`ll have to wait and see. Hood hadn`t been cleaned since application about 750 winter miles ago either. Surface was still slick as the day I applied it as well.

I`m wondering how long it`s gonna be until a self-healing coating becomes consumer available? Aside from that, I just don`t know where coatings can go from here, already ridiculous (to me) claims of 10h, 7 years, so on and so forth...

Dunno...I`ll always be on the lookout for something new in this space but as of now, I think I may be set in my ways, so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I`m wondering how long it`s gonna be until a self-healing coating becomes consumer available? Aside from that, I just don`t know where coatings can go from here, already ridiculous (to me) claims of 10h, 7 years, so on and so forth...

Dunno...I`ll always be on the lookout for something new in this space but as of now, I think I may be set in my ways, so to speak.
    Dr Beasley`s Nano Resin Pro - available for both pro and enthusiasts. Elastomeric and self healing. 9 year guarantee for approved detailers.

I`m waiting to see some vids and reviews - the price however.........
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg031 View Post
    Dr Beasley`s Nano Resin Pro - available for both pro and enthusiasts. Elastomeric and self healing. 9 year guarantee for approved detailers.

I`m waiting to see some vids and reviews - the price however.........
    Interesting but at $500 for a consumer to purchase...uh, no. At $250 I`d be tempted if there was some *substantial* evidence of performance behind it but even I can`t justify $500. I`d guess that for certified installers, price is significantly lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Dr. Beasley`s...

BudgetPlan: Didn`t I see you post somewhere a while back you had purchased a bottle of the regular Nano Resin?

I find the price interesting, but the lack of reviews make it too much of a wild card.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking, if as good as advertised.. I can use it on a dark / black car that I would love to get again when I get a new ride this time next year lol.

I saw that they will be demoing the coating at Detail Fest this year.

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information