Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Sealant Time

Quote Originally Posted by PaVaSteeler View Post
    ... I`ve switched to Collinite #476. Yes it`s a paste, but very easy to use, and the durability is 5 months and counting one one coat. Best of all, it has a deeper wetter look than the glossier #845...
    I too found 476S to be more durable than 845, and to give a deeper and wetter look, but I always found 845 glossier...*too* glossy for my taste on certain paints. Funny how perceptions differ

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

I have really become fond of Griot`s poly wax, easy to use and about as durable as everything else. Nice deep look to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I have really become fond of Griot`s poly wax, easy to use and about as durable as everything else. .

Got a sample of that with one of my orders...sometimes think about doing a side-by-side with FK1

OK, once again I`m requesting that you school me:

How is the PolyWax with regard to staining/use on trim and texture/etc.?
    How is its etching resistance (is it "never worry about bird-bombs at all"-good)?
    Do a few coats typically last for about a year (understand if you`ve never gone that long w/o refreshing..)?

Just wondering how it compares in the functional sense to FK1000P, would probably be surprised if it didn`t look a little better at least on some colors.

Post Thanks / Like

If Poly Coat is anything like the "older version" I`d skip it. I wasn`t too impressed with the durability of it. I`ve had good luck with Adams LPS but since they don`t have it on here, I also like Poorboys EX-P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    If Poly Coat is anything like the "older version" I`d skip it. I wasn`t too impressed with the durability of it. I`ve had good luck with Adams LPS but since they don`t have it on here, I also like Poorboys EX-P
    Nick mentioned over on AGO that they are not the same. That the new one is new formula from the ground up.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes JHL88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like Sonax Polymer Net Shield. I`ve used it on decent un-prepped paint and I didn`t have any issues. Its durability is excellent and it self cleans very well, looks good too. Beading is off the charts. The only negative...application/removal is more grabby than other sealants, but it`s not too bad. Also, their Brilliant Shine Detailer is very good as well and very durable for a QD. IME, due to its somewhat thick consistency, it`s more of a spray wax than a QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Got a sample of that with one of my orders...sometimes think about doing a side-by-side with FK1

OK, once again I`m requesting that you school me:

How is the PolyWax with regard to staining/use on trim and texture/etc.?
    How is its etching resistance (is it "never worry about bird-bombs at all"-good)?
    Do a few coats typically last for about a year (understand if you`ve never gone that long w/o refreshing..)?

Just wondering how it compares in the functional sense to FK1000P, would probably be surprised if it didn`t look a little better at least on some colors.
    Curious as to how PowerLock and PNS compare to FK1000P????? Do either of them stain pebble grain trim during application??
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t discount the OTC stuff...namely Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. It`s a polymer-based sealant more than it is a wax, and I`ve gotten excellent results with it. Topped it with Pinnacle Souveran Series II and gotten 6 months out of it.
    Likes pdqgp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Curious as to how PowerLock and PNS compare to FK1000P????? Do either of them stain pebble grain trim during application??
    The PNS definitely does not stain. I used it many times on trims. Good if they are in good shape no real restoration properties that I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

pwaug- Though I`ve used FK1000P on textured exterior plastic trim, IMO it`s in that "Don`t try this at home, kids!" category as residue *will* dry white and the durability of the stuff translates into its being extremely difficult to clean off when that happens.

How textured it is would factor in *for me*, but to avoid headaches I recommend that others just don`t do it. I`d use KSG instead (employing W-O-W-O rather than letting it flash before buffing) or 845 (never having tried the others under discussion).
    Thanks pwaug thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m hoping someone with answer Acuumulator`s question about how friendly Griot`s Poly Wax is on trim? If I try a new sealant, that is at the top of my list.

Speaking of trim friendly LSP`s, HD Poxy is fantastic on all trim especially textured trim. I tried it on a big Ram 3500 and I used it on all the textured plastic door handles and even went over the slightly faded textured plastic side mirrors. It`s was so easy to remove and truly enhanced the appearance of all the plastic surfaces.

Has anyone had problems with removing HD Poxy? I swear no matter how THIN I applied it and even if I wait 45 minutes to an hour to remove it, the ease of removal isn`t even close to removing HD Speed. I was actually going to toss my bottle. I`ve had it for about 2 years now and every time I`ve tried using it takes alot more wiping to remove than HD Speed and seems to be very oily. I always have to follow up with Wolfgang Uber to remove the rest of the oils and residue. I`ve never had that issue with FK1000p or Jescar Powerlock+.

I`m thinking I didn`t use it quick enough so it`s not performing how it should.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess i`ve been using my Collinite 845 all wrong. Everytime I let it "flash" (or dry to us non-experts)for a longer period of time I almost have to use a chisel to remove it. I apply to 1 panel at a time, let it dry for about 5 minutes or a little less then wipe off-----
    Have I been using it all wrong??????????
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
    I guess i`ve been using my Collinite 845 all wrong. Everytime I let it "flash" (or dry to use non-experts)for a longer period of time I almost have to use a chisel to remove it. I apply to 1 panel at a time, let it dry for about 5 minutes or a little less then wipe off-----
    Have I been using it all wrong??????????
    Jay
    How much are you using? 0.5 to 1 oz is more than plenty for a big car.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I use a "light" coat---not much more than PA high gloss.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Never Enuff- I`m pretty sure you`re just using way too much. Other than on textured plastic/rubber, I don`t have to give any thought at all to how soon I buff it off...it could sit on there for hours (and has upon occasion). Same ol` same ol`...IMO if you can clearly see that there`s a wax residue on the paint, then you probably used too much. I doubt I ever used an ounce to do the Yukon XLD I had, and that included all the jambs/etc. Is there an appreciable amount of 845 in the applicator when you`re finished? IF so, that`s a clue that you used way too much.

Eh, OTOH it doesn`t really matter Go ahead and buff it off sooner if that works best for you. IME, any diffs in durability from buffing it off promptly are awfully minimal. No point in knocking yourself out trying to do it the way I do, not if it`s simpler to just not let it sit so long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information