Thread: Opti Bond

Post Thanks / Like

Opti Bond

I have searched a couple different ways and cant find an answer if someone has done this, and I have to believe someone has.

In the never ending search of what to do with plastic trim I see my bottle of Opti Bond. My question is has anyone used it on plastic trim?

I have been using 303 and have liked the results but on both vehicles I own (2011 F150 & 2014 Explorer) it is almost like the plastic is saturated with product and wont take anymore 303. That may not be the case but it just sits on top amd "smears" around.

I suppose its time to make an order for the fall clean ups and wondering what I need to order different or if the Opti Bond will work?

It has been years since I have posted and will have more questions shortly as I have found some errors in my process but thats another day.

Thanks

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Bond

Lots of tire products will work fine on trim and I`m sure Opti Bond is no exception. After using DLux and some Feynlab products, I`ll never not coat my trim again.
    http://www.flawlessreflectionsautodetailing.com/
    Likes screeby, Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It should work very well but you`ll have to ensure you completely removed the 303 from the trim. IMO coatings are ideal for brand new trim, but something that`s had years of dressings applied to would be risky.
    Likes screeby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting replies, thanks for both of them. They give me something to think about.

For now I suppose my plan of attack to clean them is some Meg`s APC (D101) and follow with an IPA wipe for now. I have seen some say the Girots rubber prep does a good job and will have to put it on the list of wants.

Thanks for the help again guys.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

I have used opti bond tire gel on my wheel wells and black plastic trim on my wifes ford edge and it works great. Not sure about the longevity of it i haven`t really tested that but it makes plastic trim look good and seems to make wheel wells easier to clean the next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oboroballa03 View Post
    I have used opti bond tire gel on my wheel wells and black plastic trim on my wifes ford edge and it works great. Not sure about the longevity of it i haven`t really tested that but it makes plastic trim look good and seems to make wheel wells easier to clean the next time.
    Don`t expect a water based dressing to last very long on exterior plastics. If you want a long lasting dressing, try Solution Finish or Car Pro Dlux.

Post Thanks / Like

My Bad. I was thinking Opti Bond was their trim coating for some reason, lol. Optimum has changed their product names so many time I`m all confused over here....

Post Thanks / Like

I love optimum products, but Optibond is a mid pack performer. PERL is the star here for water based, wipe on and forget trim restoration. On hard plastics, I also really like the results I get from OCW or 845.

Thread Information