Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand?

Post Thanks / Like

What brand?

I`ve been a motor head since I can remember but I`m just now getting into really caring for my paint more than a wash and wax and would like some input. My friends have mentioned griots garage, chemical guys, and Adams. However since joining this site I`ve found that there`s more products than I can wrap my head around. I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu in black granite metallic(really dark grey basically) with black leather interior and I was wondering if y`all could point me to what would work well for maintaining it. I`d like an all in one kit but if I have to buy piece by piece that works too. I don`t have a Polisher nor have I used one before, but wouldn`t mind learning how to properly use one. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What brand?

A good beginner DA is the GG6. You can purchase pad kits on AG or Autopia. The BOSS kit from GG is great way to go. Most of the brands on AUTOGEEK AND AUTOPIA have waxing and polishing kits. What I did was find a product with good reviews and see how well it works. If you do not like a product, you can always to trade it on the trading forum. For interior I like Meguiars

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to the forum!

Griots Garage makes a great line-up of products, if you wanted to keep it all to one brand... That said everyone has their preferences and price points to hit, and other brands are just as good or better for certain things.

First thing to do is not get caught up in all the products, and focus on what you want the end result to be. Daily Driver that needs long-term protection? Garage queen that needs a perfect pool of super wet paint? Once you have a set goal, we should be able to suggest products - and more importantly; processes - that will get you on your way.

I started with a Poorboys wash kit (sold on the Autopia Store) and went from there, adding products that suited a particular need as I went.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Daily driver that I`d like to keep nice as long as possible

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots Garage 6" or the Porter Cable 7424XP are both good polishers (I own both amongst other polishers). Both will pretty much do anything you want. The upper level polishers will just get things done quicker and run smoother.

The GG6 with orange, black and red pads is about as simple as it gets.

The porter cable with some Lake country flat pads is a good choice as well.

As far as products go, perhaps look into an All-in-one or one step, like HD Speed, or Mckees37 360.

I have and use both products and they are pretty simple to use and both finish out pretty nice.

I have used meguiars for interior stuff, and they are good and are cost effective.

But lately I find myself trying and using alot of the McKees37 products. I kind of like them.

Also the poorboys stuff is really good as well.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I recently picked up a bottle of the griots speed shone to see how I liked it. Unfortunately I`ve only gotten to use it once. Car keeps getting too dirty for me to use it. Guess I need to start using it every day or so, seems every time I`m able to find the time to do it the car is dirty enough to where it needs an actual wash. I also have the meguiars spray wax, doesn`t seem too bad. I`ve seen good things about the poor boys products

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a rinseless or waterless wash is up your alley - lots to choose from in that category. I use Ultima WW+ at rinseless dilution (adds some protection with it), and there are others that don`t (McKees N-914 gets a bunch of good press around here).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
    I recently picked up a bottle of the griots speed shone to see how I liked it. Unfortunately I`ve only gotten to use it once. Car keeps getting too dirty for me to use it. Guess I need to start using it every day or so, seems every time I`m able to find the time to do it the car is dirty enough to where it needs an actual wash. I also have the meguiars spray wax, doesn`t seem too bad. I`ve seen good things about the poor boys products
    griots does have pretty good stuff. Down here my trucks get too dirty for rinseless wash. 2 bucket method for me with duragloss 902

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like a setup to maintain the clean for say a few weeks with a full detail about once a month. I`d detail it every weekend if I had the time.

Post Thanks / Like

- (2) 5 gallon buckets from Home depot
    - (2) grit guard inserts, one for each bucket
    - (1) washboard insert to add to the grit guard in the rinse bucket
    - rinseless MF wash mitt
    - rinseless wash (Ultima, Pinnacle, McKees, ONR, etc.)
    - TRC Twistress or Griot`s PFM drying towels
    - 6-pack of Poorboys DMT MF towels, or Supreme 530s

Do a waterless and/or rinseless as often as you like between full detail and wax jobs, using the two bucket method. Finish off with a spray wax or QD like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax or Poorboys QD+.

That`s pretty much my setup, and I switch to poorboys SSS shampoo when doing a full 2 bucket method soap wash with a hose.

Hope this gives you a baseline to build on.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Start off by educating yourself on the basics of car detailing maintenance care. There is some great educational info on both the Autopia and Autogeek retail sites to read. Videos are also an excellent way to get the basics. Mike Phillips videos on Autogeek and YouTube will get you a long way toward learning the basic wash and detailing methods. Learning the basics will help you determine what you need to get started. There are many terms and acronyms used here that you will need to get acquainted with.

We all have our favorite products and there is no shortage of advice here. Griots Garage, Meguiars, and McKees 37 are all excellent "one stop" vendors to get just about anything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After using the other major brands for 16 years, we are exclusively Griot`s now. They have really stepped up they`re game in the paint care arena!
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I typically set beginners up with the following:

Porter Cable 7424xp
    5" Buff and Shine d/a backing plate
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound
    1 5.5" Red Buff and Shine Ultra Finishing pad
    3 5.5" Blue Buff and Shine Polishing pad
    3 5.5" Green Buff and Shine Light Cut pad
    3 5.5" Orange Buff and shine Microfiber Cutting pad

Pad conditioning brush
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
    NanoSkin prep sponges
    Meguiar`s yellow foam applicators
    Meguiar`s Supreme Shine microfiber towels
    Meguiar`s wash mitt
    Meguiar`s water magnet waffle weave towel.
    Likes nickclark08, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is a solid complete beginner package for sure. Heck, being somewhat of a beginner level still myself, I still use/have most of these products listed. They work well!

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    I typically set beginners up with the following:

Porter Cable 7424xp
    5" Buff and Shine d/a backing plate
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound
    1 5.5" Red Buff and Shine Ultra Finishing pad
    3 5.5" Blue Buff and Shine Polishing pad
    3 5.5" Green Buff and Shine Light Cut pad
    3 5.5" Orange Buff and shine Microfiber Cutting pad

Pad conditioning brush
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
    NanoSkin prep sponges
    Meguiar`s yellow foam applicators
    Meguiar`s Supreme Shine microfiber towels
    Meguiar`s wash mitt
    Meguiar`s water magnet waffle weave towel.

Post Thanks / Like

PurpleZJ- Welcome to Autopia!

For a daily driver, I`d wax it with FinishKare FK1000P so you don`t have to worry about bugs/birds etching the paint and so you don`t have to redo it very often. You might not even have to wash it as much.

Do plenty of research on this stuff before you buy much. Understand it thoroughly, it`ll make the whole thing go a lot better. "How does paint get marred up?" "How does polishing remove swirlmarks?" Learn, understand, and *THEN* do.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information