Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Panel Wipe? Static Electricity and towel lint driving me mad lately...

Last 2 coatings I did (22ple & Kamikaze so likely not a product-related issue) were troublesome due to excessive lint/dust on prep`d surface. Have been using Gyeon Prep lately and wondering if related to that. I can`t recall exactly if this issue first started when I ran outta WG Perfeckt Finish Paint Prep and started using Gyeon Prep. Just seems like that car is `charged` and really tenaciously holding onto very, very fine towel lint. Short nap, Long nap...just seems to be an increasing issue of stuff left behind after somewhat liberal applications of Prep prior to coating. Like the towels aren`t picking up the very fine stuff but rather just pushing it around.

All worked out OK by carefully wiping panel with a Gyeon Baldwipe Towel immediately prior to coating a panel, essentially pushing the lint to the adjacent, gonna-be-coated-next panel...wiping/coating...moving around the car until I ended up back where I began. Obviously don`t wanna be touching the paint as much as I am in this scenario...if I ever run into a soft paint will possibly leave some marring. Towels are washed as they always have, no change in that aspect but it almost seems as if the car is `charged` with static due to the manner in which the lint clings to it instead of cleaning to a towel I`m `dusting` the surface with prior to coating application.

Wanna/gonna try a new panel wipe product to take the Gyeon Prep outta the equations, wondering what is everyone`s favorite? I think I have seen mentions of Optimum and Gtechniq as `favorites` but can`t remember for sure; the WG was OK but seemed streaky at times, especially as it aged in container.

Something, however, seems to be creating excessive static on surface during prep wipedown. Gyeon is `supposed` to be anti-static but who really knows. Weather has been kinda hot and humid lately if that might play into it.

Maybe I should just drive a metal stake 5ft into the ground and attach the car to it with a metal grounding strap prior to coating; while pointless, would make for some interesting pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Panel Wipe? Static Electricity and towel lint driving me mad lately...

I use OPT paint prep...been through about a gallon of it over the past few years.
    I have gyeon Prep but now I don`t feel so great about using it BUT I couldn`t imagine it would be the prep product. I`m willing to bet they are just about all created essentially the same. I actually posted a thread about this in the past and it received little to no responses. (about if all paint preps are essentially the same)

I`d have to argue that the towel touching the paint is leaving the positive charge, but then again I`m merely a social scientist

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Panel Wipe? Static Electricity and towel lint driving me mad lately...

I`ve used Optimum Paint Prep and Eraser. Recently used GTechniq panel wipe and I find that to work better than the others.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes mg031 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know this sounds crazy, but would a grounding wrist strap help (like they use when building computers)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    I know this sounds crazy, but would a grounding wrist strap help (like they use when building computers)?
    It don`t sound any crazier than chasing an ever-building line of fine lint around the car until you get to the last panel.

The only thing that would lead me to think that maybe Gyeon isnt working in my particular garage environment is that it just started happening and I can`t quite remember when I went from WG Prep to Gyeon Prep...but it was recently in the last month or so....I think.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It don`t sound any crazier than chasing an ever-building line of fine lint around the car until you get to the last panel.

The only thing that would lead me to think that maybe Gyeon isnt working in my particular garage environment is that it just started happening and I can`t quite remember when I went from WG Prep to Gyeon Prep...but it was recently in the last month or so....I think.
    maybe you have used so many different coatings in that garage that you have built up an invisible layer of silica and static

Brandt K.
    Likes nickclark08, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used IPA, Eraser, Opti-Prep, and Gtechniq Panel Wipe. Panel Wipe is by far the most effective and I`ve not had any static issues with it. I like the way Opti-prep felt, but its weak sauce IMO.

I heard a rumor Panel Wipe was actual relabeled Spies Hecker, but can`t confirm that.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I`ve used IPA, Eraser, Opti-Prep, and Gtechniq Panel Wipe. Panel Wipe is by far the most effective and I`ve not had any static issues with it. I like the way Opti-prep felt, but its weak sauce IMO.

I heard a rumor Panel Wipe was actual relabeled Spies Hecker, but can`t confirm that.
    well I guess I`m gonna switch to panel wipe then

Brandt K.
    Likes RaskyR1, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Spray onto the towel, not the paint. Use caution on none OEM or fresh paint.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you have used so many different coatings in that garage that you have built up an invisible layer of silica and static
    Guess it`s time to load a gallon or so of Panel Wipe in the Foam Cannon and foam the whole garage...

Yep...gonna give the Gtechniq a shot..

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Spray onto the towel, not the paint. Use caution on none OEM or fresh paint.
    Interesting...have really been hosing the car down with the Gyeon Prep, per Gyeon USA recommendation, then wiping. Maybe too much of a good (or not so good) thing.

Used to use very low nap Gyeon Baldwipe for Prep application removal, back when I used a few spritzes on a panel. Kinda switched to a soft, high nap towel (like a Gyeon SoftWipe or Autopia Chinchilla) because of the increased amount of Prep I was using.
    Likes NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it`s time to load a gallon or so of Panel Wipe in the Foam Cannon and foam the whole garage...

Yep...gonna give the Gtechniq a shot..

Interesting...have really been hosing the car down with the Gyeon Prep, per Gyeon USA recommendation, then wiping. Maybe too much of a good (or not so good) thing.

Used to use very low nap Gyeon Baldwipe for Prep application removal, back when I used a few spritzes on a panel. Kinda switched to a soft, high nap towel (like a Gyeon SoftWipe or Autopia Chinchilla) because of the increased amount of Prep I was using.
    I use either the edgeless micro towels ACC sells or gold plush micros for paint prep products.. I find the fluffier towels seem to want to lint..might just be me though

Brandt K.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used CarPro Eraser but never had the linting/ static issue.
    I generally go two applications on the panel wipe now. One heavy followed by one light. I start with a heavier pile towel like the eagle edgeless towels then switch to a low pile like the bald wipe for the lighter application. Hope you get it solved!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve not used the Gyeon prep, but I assume it`s a lot like Eraser. Panel Wipe is a LOT stronger and can damage fresh paint, especially if it`s sprayed directly on the surface. I`ve seen a few FB post of some damage and it was said to spray it directly on the towel. It can also mess up PPF so don`t use it on there either.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`ll be going with the spray on towel method. That seems to work best for me with many products.

First though, I think I`ll take August off. Might be nice to not have some car in some stage of detail for a few weekends.

Still have to redo the new, black Accord V6 Coupe but hopefully can resist getting into that until Sept...famous last words.

Starting to develop a curiosity regarding Scholls products...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I have ditched panel wipes for the most part. I have either linting issues, marring issues due to not enough lubricity. I have switched to prep solve or mineral spirits. No issues what so ever and can get it by the gallon. It removes all polishing oils with ease.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes BudgetPlan1, 512detail liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information