Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clay bars

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clay bars

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Clay for lengthy details, oven cleaner for quick and cheap details professional detailers use Easy-Off for those $50-$75 jobs !
    I have used it even on new Caddy CTS ! ...LoL
    Oven cleaner for embedded contaminates? Who`d have thought? Not me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, I appreciate the feed back. I like looking at things from different perspectives.

Post Thanks / Like

ill go on into Edmonton on Monday and pick up a ricardos clay bar.. with zero issue I will clay my car twice a yr.. but this yr. damn, I have had to clay it 3 times now... once was my own fault.. I got over spray from the paint booth all over the car... That really sucked,, went through a whole bar just on that.... now there is something eles contaminating the car,, when I was waxing it the foam applicator was soujnding rough going over the paint, grabbed the clay and sure enough, got to due the whole car again,, I don`t drive the car its my wifes.. no idea whats on the car this time.. This will be the fouth time in 3 months claying the car!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I consider marring far more likely with the Decontamination Towels. If I mar paint with the clays I use I`m *SORELY* disappointed with myself! I basically don`t correct my vehicles any more, at least not on a regular basis and I never need to do a whole-vehicle correction, but I bet I *would* have to do that should I use a Nanoskin/etc. (OR...the wrong clay/claying technique).

I knead/replace my clay after doing a *VERY* small area..might be only a few inches, sometimes not even that much. Once it gets contaminated I consider it "sandpaper" and I don`t want to rub my paint with it. And that`s despite using *LOTS* of lube and a very gentle touch. I really do strive to affect the "glide-and-shear" approach to claying; if I even compromise the LSP I label it a FAIL.

The Decontamination Towels...I simply cannot see how one would avoid marring with them. AFAIK, their instructions even say to *NOT* use them on flat/matte/satin paints because of the likelihood of abrasion. I simply will not instill any unnecessary, additional damage to a vehicle. I only have so much paint to work with before it`s (five-figure) Repaint Time, and I prefer OE paint anyhow.

(Aggressive "detailing" by others has simply ruined two of my vehicles...no need for it to have happened IMO, zero way to fix to my satisfaction, all I can do is try to not let it bother me. Some damage is forever, especially when originality matters.)

NOW...heh heh...where`s the discussion of Chemical Decontamination? Something (literally) foolproof like ValuGard`s ABC system...just do a series of washes and the job`s done with basically no risk of damage. That stuff`s geared towards, uhm... a certain type of employee who`s likely to not take due care (to put it nicely). IF you`re redoing a whole vehicle that can do the job in place of mechanical approaches like clay/decon. towels. I`ve done great on new-to-me vehicles in *HIDEOUS* condition with the Chemical approach, easy as could be too.

EdLancer- Is the Easy-Off safe for all auto surfaces? I thought it needed to be kept off certain things, but then I guess there are a few different versions to choose from. Wonder how it`d stack up against something nasty-but-effective like FK1119 (which might even be off the market now).
    We use the blue can fume free Easy-Off, just spray on avoid getting it on the trims and rinse with a pressure washer within 5 minutes and you`ll be good. Makes a big difference on light white/cream color cars(Caddys) you see black water rinsing off.
    There is a certain sales manager at the local Caddy dealer with a cream color Eldorado that wants his car washed/detailed for $30, what does he expect ! ...LoL
    The dealer is lucky if they can sell one new Caddy a month during these bad economic times, so they go to auctions and buy 1-2 year old Caddys and contract us to detail it for them and sell them in the $40,000-$50,000 range while a new one would be in the $80,000 range.

Post Thanks / Like

I still expect Ashton Kutcher to jump out any second now...

Post Thanks / Like

EdLancer- Ah, yeah...I know that Blue Fume-free one! Heh heh, don`t see myself using it on a vehicle, but hey...OK! For some of those jobs you`re doing it does sound perfectly reasonable. Hey, it`s working for you...that`s that

PRND[S]- Heh heh, that`s another Modern Cultural Reference that`s lost on me BUT...Mr. Kutcher is another [individual] whose mention I won`t allow to go without a "what a [INSERT fave invective]".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    PRNDS- Heh heh, that`s another Modern Cultural Reference that`s lost on me BUT...Mr. Kutcher is another [individual] whose mention I won`t allow to go without a "what a [INSERT fave invective]".
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk%27d

Post Thanks / Like

PRND[S]- Ah, thanks for schooling me. Hey, if nothing else I can always remember that Kutcher = Punk so now I`ll recognize that reference next time

Post Thanks / Like

Jim White from White Details in the UK swears by AM Details clay. Water is the only lube needed and he insists it drastically reduces odds of marring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Portage, Michigan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information