Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help me choose an APC and degreaser for detailing

Hi all:

Please help me choose new APC and degreasers (and keep me away from well diluted Simple Green).

I have pretty easy access to CG and PB products, but honestly can`t decode the entire CG lineup. What`s the difference between All Clean and All Clean+, for instance? I see PB only has one APC, and it talks about using straight or 1:1 dilution. This is way different than some other products I see out there listing 1:4 to 1:40 dilution rates for use.

In an APC I`m looking for something which is concentrated that I can perhaps dilute to my needs. I`d like to be able to do:

• diluted cleaning on interiors (vinyl, coated leather, headliners)
    • door jamb/sill wipedown
    • routine cleaning of wheels AND tires (perhaps at a stronger concentration)
    • routine wheel well cleaning
    • spray down to clean salt off of underside of vehicle in spring using foam gun, hose end sprayer or something else? Or should that be a degreaser?
    • first step as light bug cleaning if my shampoo doesn`t take it off

I don`t want to fade plastic, corrode engine/chassis components or damage finishes, but I want to get dirt off. My current vehicle has a lot of aluminum (body, some structural, engine, full suspension). I`d love something that foams well with a foaming trigger sprayer too.

In a degreaser I would also like something which is intended to be diluted to varying ratios depending on task (and has some guidelines on how to do so). I`d like to:
    • clean engine bays
    • heavier cleaning of tires (e.g. strip dressing) and seasonal changeover cleaning of wheels and tires (switching snows and summers prior to LSP)
    • clean salt off of underside of vehicle (or should that be an APC)
    • heavier bug/tar removal from painted surfaces?
    • foam with a foaming trigger sprayer

I`ve seen some "how I did this" photo threads showing a good degreaser really cleaning tire sidewalls. I`ve used Eagle One A2Z and as soon as the foam hit the tire it turned brown with stuff it removed. I`d like that from something more general purpose, if possible.

Thanks for any guidance the group can provide. I tried some searching but "APC", in particular, is too short a word for a lot of the search functionality. Or, I found some reviews of single products (like CG AC+) which didn`t speak in comparison against similarly placed products (like CG AC).
    Likes Dwayne@Poorboys liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose an APC and degreaser for detailing

Surly- I can`t help because I just don`t know from the CG or PB product lines, but is this for your personal vehicles or for Pro work?

Since I only do ours, I basically have zero use for an APC other than something well-diluted for the interiors of the dog-haulers. Which perhaps *further* disqualifies me from offering any help About the only other thing I use APCs for is pre-treating my MFs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have good success with Meguiars APC. I have used it for everything from carpets to leather seats.

Meguiar

Post Thanks / Like

Huge HUGE fan of 1Z Blitz & W99

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Hi all:

Please help me choose new APC and degreasers (and keep me away from well diluted Simple Green).

I have pretty easy access to CG and PB products, but honestly can`t decode the entire CG lineup. What`s the difference between All Clean and All Clean+, for instance? I see PB only has one APC, and it talks about using straight or 1:1 dilution. This is way different than some other products I see out there listing 1:4 to 1:40 dilution rates for use.

In an APC I`m looking for something which is concentrated that I can perhaps dilute to my needs. I`d like to be able to do:

• diluted cleaning on interiors (vinyl, coated leather, headliners)
    • door jamb/sill wipedown
    • routine cleaning of wheels AND tires (perhaps at a stronger concentration)
    • routine wheel well cleaning
    • spray down to clean salt off of underside of vehicle in spring using foam gun, hose end sprayer or something else? Or should that be a degreaser?
    • first step as light bug cleaning if my shampoo doesn`t take it off

I don`t want to fade plastic, corrode engine/chassis components or damage finishes, but I want to get dirt off. My current vehicle has a lot of aluminum (body, some structural, engine, full suspension). I`d love something that foams well with a foaming trigger sprayer too.

In a degreaser I would also like something which is intended to be diluted to varying ratios depending on task (and has some guidelines on how to do so). I`d like to:
    • clean engine bays
    • heavier cleaning of tires (e.g. strip dressing) and seasonal changeover cleaning of wheels and tires (switching snows and summers prior to LSP)
    • clean salt off of underside of vehicle (or should that be an APC)
    • heavier bug/tar removal from painted surfaces?
    • foam with a foaming trigger sprayer

I`ve seen some "how I did this" photo threads showing a good degreaser really cleaning tire sidewalls. I`ve used Eagle One A2Z and as soon as the foam hit the tire it turned brown with stuff it removed. I`d like that from something more general purpose, if possible.

Thanks for any guidance the group can provide. I tried some searching but "APC", in particular, is too short a word for a lot of the search functionality. Or, I found some reviews of single products (like CG AC+) which didn`t speak in comparison against similarly placed products (like CG AC).
    Depending on the job at hand, our Biodegradable APC may be used straight for the toughest and nastiest jobs like a neglected bar-b-q grill all the way up to 63:1 for cleaning tough films on glass (126:2 on the label so you can easily mix up a gallon). APC is extremely versatile and may be used for a wide range of jobs and dilution ratios. We have even mixed it up with Super Slick & Foam in a foam cannon and made some heavy duty foam soap on steroids. It can handle all of your bullet points with no problems.

Help me choose an APC and degreaser for detailing-apc-label-directions.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dwayne McPeeks
    Operations Manager at Poorboy`s World

Poorboy`s World Polishing & Detailing Products at Autopia Car Care
    Likes nickclark08, Ronkh, Tc99m, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dwayne- That`s *GREAT* that your dilution ratio works out to 124:2, wish it were more common. Is that dilution still potent enough for (relatively gentle) interior work...also, does it require much in the way of rinsing?
    Thanks Dwayne@Poorboys thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dwayne- That`s *GREAT* that your dilution ratio works out to 124:2, wish it were more common. Is that dilution still potent enough for (relatively gentle) interior work...also, does it require much in the way of rinsing?
    I`ve been surprised at what that ratio can still clean. It`s just enough to make the water and your MF towel cut through oily films and grime better. What I do afterwards is take a wet microfiber and wipe the surface to remove any residual APC, then a dry one.
    Dwayne McPeeks
    Operations Manager at Poorboy`s World

Poorboy`s World Polishing & Detailing Products at Autopia Car Care
    Likes Poorboy, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne@Poorboys View Post
    I`ve been surprised at what that ratio can still clean. It`s just enough to make the water and your MF towel cut through oily films and grime better. What I do afterwards is take a wet microfiber and wipe the surface to remove any residual APC, then a dry one.
    Same as I use it.

(must have been taught by same person)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good result with Meguiar`s Detailer line APC. User friendly multiple ranges to meet your needs in regards to dilution ratio. Decent odor and cost effective. Like jricharc i have used it on multiple surfaces like carpets, fabric, leather, etc... with great results.
    Albert Lopez
    DECON Auto Detailing, LLC.
    http://decondetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Britemax Degreaser is my go to degreaser and Meguires APC is what I grab for light cleaning. Britemax is safe but strong, it works great on wheels instead of a dedicated wheel cleaner.
    Likes sjb89 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Power Clean
    meguiars D 101

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat Optimum Power Clean

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys APC+D is some amazing stuff. I`ve been using it at 15:1 for basically everything and it cuts through even the nastiest interior dirt/grime.

It was my cleaner of of choice to clean this truck in my thread from a few weeks ago. Used it for everything except for the upholstery, even then I used it to pre treat some of the nasty stains on the upholstery. All at 15:1.

Trashed grounds maintenance truck

ive just recently started using it in my steamer with detergent injection and can give some more info on that in the future as I`m still playing around with dilutions.

Personally I`d try to stay away from chemical guys. Their products are ok, nothing really bad to say about them, but they market/prey on the uneducated who think they need 5 different APCs or 15 different wash soaps and high tech waxed with mega uber slick high shine glossinator 2.0 super wax.
    Likes House of Wax, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I use 3 different ones...

Exterior - 1Z W99, strip wash, tire and rim cleaner, trim bleeder and engine degreaser. - It is th best APC I`ve ever used and blows away anything by CG.

Interior - Optimum power clean, stained upholestery, heavily soiled carpets, dirty plastic trim. Safe, effective and cost effective.

Heavy duty - HD APC Purple Grand slam, very potent, can be too harsh on bare aluminum but on exhaust gunk or dirty engine parts it`s amazing. The most cost effective!

I may switch from HD to PB, I need to do some reading. My one stead fast product through the years has been 1Z W99 though, it is expensive but has been the most reliable and constant result achieving product I have ever used hands down.

Technically I have a fourth, Megs super degreaser. I only use this for cleaning pads, it`s more effective than anything else I`ve used just on pads. The only draw back is you really need to wear a mask with it. It`s very potent and any atomization of this product should never be breathed inhaled.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the discussion so far folks.

Accumulator: Personal use. My vehicle plus perhaps some friends. I don`t consume large quantities of the stuff, but when I find something I like I might end up using it all over my house in various ratios.

ShaneB: Interesting comments on CG. I noticed too that there`s too much selection and not enough differentiation. AC vs AC+ for instance. I did locate a car shampoo comparison chart which shed some light on why all the different products, but still...

So - maybe I need some education. Although I haven`t had the selection of products in the past, the way I see things where I`m headed is this - please let me know if I`m misinformed:

• An APC is more pH neutral, usable on more surfaces, and isn`t always rinsed. It isn`t a super-powerful cleaner, but it has cleaning abilities, lubricity, and can be diluted in various ways. If it`s strong enough for the task - stop here.
    • A degreaser is your next step and is generally alkaline. It is more harsh, directly attacks grease and oil with an alkaline and detergent quality. It should always been rinsed, even if diluted, and you only pull it out if your APC doesn`t do the job.

So - I get the beauty and frugal wisdom of having fewer products. But the chemistry/pH/rinse issue is not one that can be combined into a single product. Is W99 or PB APC+D more degreaser or strong APC, for instance? Would anyone use W99 on an interior and not rinse? I`d really like an APC I can use, for instance, on leather with one of those vinyl/leather brushes to make sure it`s clean. My leather is black right now (not my first choice) and, frankly, I can`t tell when it`s dirty or not. I`d like it clean just to know it`s clean and make sure there`s nothing abrasive damaging the coatings.

Am I overthinking?

Currently researching my availability of W99, Opti PowerClean etc... as additional options. I`m in Canada and it changes the shipping/tax/brokerage/availability/affordability situation.

Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information