Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose an APC and degreaser for detailing

Surly- Ya know, I use my APCs more around the house than I do on the vehicles.

On leather, I`d use something mildly acidic after anything ph-neutral (let alone alkaline), something like the Leather Doctor Rinse Agent that I like...forget the exact ph but it`s maybe 3.6-3.9 or so. Probably doesn`t matter much, if at all, on coated leather in great condition, but I`m pretty cautious about such stuff (maybe because most of my leather is far from like-new).

And I too really like OPC for nasty-greasy messes, hardly ever use it more than once (initial cleanup of a new-to-me vehicle) but I like having some around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Accumulator:

My current DD is in great condition, but my life situation doesn`t give me hardly any of the time I`d like for detailing, so even though I keep things "nice", your vehicle will be far cleaner than mine. For this reason, when I do get to clean, I think I need something like an APC instead of just a damp cloth or whatever. I accumulate (ha) more dirt between cleanings even though it`s rarely gruesome. The tail end of winter is pretty bad with salt I suppose (I`m in the Toronto brine belt), but "filth" and "sticky" isn`t a huge problem despite two fairly young kids.

We`ll see what I can find. I bet that I`ll order 16oz of whatever I decide, dilute it one or two ways, and probably won`t need to re-order for a while.

None of this stuff is OTC for me so I`m ordering with shipping charges, and I want to ask around before buying.

Now all that being said, I sometimes help to clean other much grimier vehicles. Simple Green (I know, I know) at 10:1 or so even had a challenge with some of those.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used several all purpose cleaners like blackfire, sonus, meguiars Detailer`s line, and a few others I don`t recall off top of head but best smelling and worked well on light cleaning was sonus, and quick cheap jobs or cigarette smelling cause of the multiple cleaning I use megs, black fire was good just to expensive for the results I was getting. For degreaser on engines and road tar on paint I have used the 3d grand slam with great results although on the rubber hoses on the engine tuff shine is the best. On super greasy nasty interior I use Wolfgang leather cleaner it`s really gentle yet really cuts through years of neglected skin oils and grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Russiandl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- OK, understand, and yeah....a retired guy with my facilities is awfully spoiled when it comes to what`s feasible regarding the daily drivers

Just watch that you don`t go all alkaline on the leather lest it turn into a genuine "oops!" (to put it politely).

Hey, you`re in Canada...[INSERT even more talk about Leather Doctor, who`s up there too]

Post Thanks / Like

Civiclutch- Is that Sonus stuff you`re referring to their "no need to rinse" one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Hey Accumulator:

My current DD is in great condition, but my life situation doesn`t give me hardly any of the time I`d like for detailing, so even though I keep things "nice", your vehicle will be far cleaner than mine. For this reason, when I do get to clean, I think I need something like an APC instead of just a damp cloth or whatever. I accumulate (ha) more dirt between cleanings even though it`s rarely gruesome. The tail end of winter is pretty bad with salt I suppose (I`m in the Toronto brine belt), but "filth" and "sticky" isn`t a huge problem despite two fairly young kids.

We`ll see what I can find. I bet that I`ll order 16oz of whatever I decide, dilute it one or two ways, and probably won`t need to re-order for a while.

None of this stuff is OTC for me so I`m ordering with shipping charges, and I want to ask around before buying.

Now all that being said, I sometimes help to clean other much grimier vehicles. Simple Green (I know, I know) at 10:1 or so even had a challenge with some of those.

Slury,

The best mild APC that doesn`t need to be rinsed, is mild enough to wear without gloves, is paint safe, can be used on glass, leather, vinyl, plastic, carpet, and even can be used as a microfiber towel detergent.....

Nexzett 1z Blitz APC
    -I keep it diluted 30:1 and it produces a nice lather at the dilution when paired with a soft boar`s hair detailing brush. W99 is an incredibly potent degreaser and an incredible product, but I think it`s really a bit to potent for what you`re looking for. There is nothing quite like 1z Blitz on the market. I use it to clean car seats, delicate uncoated leather steering wheels. Try it out!
    Likes mobiledynamics liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just opened a gallon of 3D Yellow degreaser. Does justice to tires at 4:1 So far impressed with it.

3D Yellow Degreaser 106 128 oz.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Civiclutch- Is that Sonus stuff you`re referring to their "no need to rinse" one?
    I believe so I`ll look on Tuesday when I`m back at the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OT or On, but Deep Plastic Cleaner from 1Z/Next. is another amazing product to have in ones arsensal.

Granted, the OP is sorta looking for 1 that will do many, in using the 1Z lineup, I find there`s a certain appreciation for how it pairs with the task at hand, and it`s not necessarily how alkanie a product is.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LashingStanley View Post
    Slury,

The best mild APC that doesn`t need to be rinsed, is mild enough to wear without gloves, is paint safe, can be used on glass, leather, vinyl, plastic, carpet, and even can be used as a microfiber towel detergent.....

Nexzett 1z Blitz APC
    -I keep it diluted 30:1 and it produces a nice lather at the dilution when paired with a soft boar`s hair detailing brush. W99 is an incredibly potent degreaser and an incredible product, but I think it`s really a bit to potent for what you`re looking for. There is nothing quite like 1z Blitz on the market. I use it to clean car seats, delicate uncoated leather steering wheels. Try it out!
    While looking around for W99 I ran across Blitz and I was going to ask about it. You make it sound so gentle, but it`s called an "exterior cleaner" while W99 is listed as all purpose. I was confused by what they called it.

Surly- OK, understand, and yeah....a retired guy with my facilities is awfully spoiled when it comes to what`s feasible regarding the daily drivers

Just watch that you don`t go all alkaline on the leather lest it turn into a genuine "oops!" (to put it politely).

Hey, you`re in Canada...[INSERT even more talk about Leather Doctor, who`s up there too]
    Yep - want to be careful with the leather but I need to start cleaning it with a proper brush and decent cleanser to make sure it`s clean.

So, here`s the list I am probably looking at for APC + degreasers. Need to make a decision or decide to buy more than one. A reminder that I`m looking for a product or pair of products which, at proper dilutions, I can use for: "every wash" wheel cleaning (generally waxed, maybe coated in the near future), deep wheel cleaning, "every wash" tire cleaning, deep tire cleaning, interiors (deep and daily), carpets, coated leather (deep, daily will be damp cloth), cleaning salt from underbody, door jambs, engine bays. Note that I plan to use different dilution rates for deep vs. daily, just want a product that`s suitable.

- 1Z Blitz and W99
    - PB APC+D
    - Optimum Power Clean (and ??) (received multiple recommendations for being excellent)

I cannot get 3D/HD in Canada to my knowledge and I`m not sure that an APC or a car shampoo is "special" enough to order from outside of country. Polish, LSP or tools maybe, but not APC. Luckily I can get all of the above in Canada. I would totally try 3D pink wash and the 3D degreaser if I could get them.

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- I think once you get the wheels LSPed/coated you`ll do fine with a sorta-strong shampoo mix (I do, even on the "tough German" applications).

For a quickie/daily interior you shouldn`t need anything remotely potent (I do the Tahoe regularly, at least a quick-clean after each dog outing and those happen almost daily).

For the rare/infrequent extremely deep tire cleaning, I`d just follow up whatever you normally use with the Griot`s Rubber Prep (assuming you can get it easily enough).

Heh heh, that`s probably enough input from *ME*...especially since I just don`t use APCs any more

Oh, be *really* cautious about what you use on steering wheels. I know a surprisingly large number of people who`ve trashed theirs to the point of having to buy replacements, which can be awfully pricey on some vehicles with electro-crap on the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

For the rare/infrequent extremely deep tire cleaning, I`d just follow up whatever you normally use with the Griot`s Rubber Prep (assuming you can get it easily enough).

Oh, be *really* cautious about what you use on steering wheels. I know a surprisingly large number of people who`ve trashed theirs to the point of having to buy replacements, which can be awfully pricey on some vehicles with electro-crap on the wheel.
    A couple of things:

The last day or so I`ve really been thinking about the rubber use. On tires, I wasn`t really focusing on tire cleaning (only dressing) until I came across a lot of buzz (maybe one of those "Guru reports" from about 10 years ago about Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire cleaner. The way the foam from the trigger turned brown almost right away was a turning point for me. I`d love it if one of these products could be used to clean dressings and oxidation from general rubber like trim, seals and wiper blades. No everything seems to cut oxidized rubber, and some products do it easily.

On steering wheels - I am looking for a product to give them some love. Both somewhat neglected friends` cars from time-to-time and occasional cleaning of my own. Some are leather, some are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Surly- I gotta admit I`m far from Autopian about cleaning my tires, just not a priority so I (re)dress them after a somewhat cursory cleaning that many/most here would call insufficient. Look fine to me though...

Once I clean the oxidation off seals/etc. it stays gone, probably because I SprayWax such stuff when I dry after each wash (note that I *will* go a looong time between washes.)

Guess I`m no real help on steering wheels either...mine never get bad and when I buy something trashed (e.g. the Tahoe) I do one thorough cleaning (IIRC I used LeatherMasters Strong on that) and then that`s that, just easy maintenance from then on.

Post Thanks / Like

So here`s what I`m thinking for my "cleaning" products:

- 1Z Blitz and W99 (1L of each)
    - was going to get 16oz of OPC too, but either not-for-sale or out-of-stock everywhere I can order
    - 1Z Cockpit premium (based almost on buzz alone)

It turns out I accidentally have some 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner on hand (years ago it was sold to me as a dressing, but it`s not, and it sat in my detailing bin). Is that stuff safe for coated leather (the bottle says it is, but I`d rather hear from real humans).

When would I use Blitz, W99, Cockpit Premium and Deep Plastic Cleaner? I assume I just use cockpit premium and if it does everything just stop there? Where does Blitz come into play or is it redundant if I have both cockpit and deep plastic cleaner already?

Post Thanks / Like

Having multiple cleaners is too complicated and unnecessary. I`d get something effective for all cleaning uses like Optimum Power Clean. From grimy engine compartments to gentle high end leather.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information