Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FK1000P on glass?

During last weekend`s flash sale I finally picked up some FK1000P and will be trying it out soon. Has anyone used it as a glass sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000P on glass?

I`ve used it on all glass surfaces except windshields; For that I use only dedicated glass coatings. It worked well for me on side & rear glass, as well as sunroof glass. Lasts a long time, as you probably already know. Try it on your wheels also, as it`s by far the best wheel sealant I`ve ever used.

Bill
    Likes pwaug, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Much as I like FK1000P, I don`t apply LSPs to glass. But hey, if it works for ya then that`s all that matters.
    Likes Tpr1634 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is definitely going on all the painted surfaces, lights, and wheels. I was just wondering if there are problems using it on the windshield glass as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

PRND[S]- FWIW, after FK1000P in my lenses/lights, I still give `em a wipe with OCW at most washes. OCW is known to have UV-blockers, so I figure it sure can`t hurt and it doesn`t seem to mess with the FK any.

Post Thanks / Like

I love FK1000P however I did not like it on the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I clean my windshields (all the glass, really...) so often that it`d be pointless even if I *did* like doing that.

I am still using RainX on the Crown Vic`s windshield though; its left wiper is simply *AWFUL* (right in my line-of-sight) and since the previous owner had used it, well... I just kept it up. Yeah, I`ll switch to something better if/when I use up the RainX. (And yeah, I tried *everything* to get the driver`s side wiper to work better. Well, everything except replace the windshield and I might even try that some day.)

Post Thanks / Like

I had a chance to try the FK1000P yesterday when I detailed my car and that of a friend. However, due to a really late start on the detailing (she had side projects she needed my help with, including putting up netting on a pergola for shade from the summer sun) and running out of daylight, I didn`t have time to properly clean the glass and try the FK1000P on it -- that will have to wait.

My go-to LSP has been Collinite 845, and based on yesterday`s experience I think I still prefer it. Collinite 845 goes on and off easier, and provides a deeper, glossier shine than FK1000P did, at least on the two cars I worked on yesterday (a pearlescent white Lexus and my limestone gray VW). The Collinite 845 smell is also less offensive, though that isn`t at all important to me. That leaves longevity and protection, which I can`t speak to at this point in time. I coated the Enkei wheels on my car after decontaminating them, the Stoptech brakes that are underneath dust horribly, so I`ll be able to get a first impression of how well FK1000P protects the wheels soon.

I may add a coat of Collinite 845 over the FK1000P after the next wash to see if that helps bring back some of the luster.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t tried it on glass, but FK is super slick and holds up really well here in SoCal, especially in summer heat. By coating wheels, did you mean with the FK? I used a dedicated wheel coating on my last car (BMW) which also dusted like crazy until I went with ceramic pads. The combo of wheel coating and ceramic pads was a welcome relief. I used 22PLE which held up well for over a year. Cleaning was so much easier. I didn`t find that you can just spray water on the wheels and they come out clean like you see some claim, but the washing was easy with a mild wheel cleaner. I used CG diablo.

Off topic, but BTW - Is the pic a Golf R? I just bought one. After one week of driving to work (less than 100 miles total) and the wheels are dusted beyond belief. Coating here we come.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I put FK1000P on the wheels. They were supposed to get Opti-Coated with the rest of the car, but getting the Enkeis from Japan took months longer than it was supposed to, so the wheels never had any coating applied to them. I don`t expect the FK1000P to magically shed all brake dust, I am just hoping for something that makes cleaning easier.

And yes, that is a Golf R. I`ve had it since March 2015, it was the first allocation (non-Launch Edition) Golf R that my dealer received. I`m in Santa Monica, let me know if you want to go on a Golf R drive sometime. There are a couple of other guys with Rs I know.

Post Thanks / Like

PRND[S]- Perfect example of how the FK1000P`s look isn`t right for everyone on every vehicle, I understand completely even if I somehow always end up liking (or even preferring) it myself.

Though I will say that I see more "gloss", as I define it, with the FK..but eh, who cares...you gave the FK a fair shot and made *your* decision.

My few coats of FK1000P are lasting longer on wheels than my KSG X 6 ever did, but that`s just my experience so we`ll see how the YMMV works out for you. FWIW, I never use anything harsher than shampoo mix (well, it`s a *strong* mix, usually the concentrate I use for the foamguns) to clean my wheels and some folks think that my Audis are terrible for brake dust.

And !Oh Man! do I still think your R is a great choice!
    Thanks PRND[S] thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator for the kind words. I`m not exactly disappointed with the FK1000P, as a paste wax it just takes a bit more work than the liquid Collinite 845 does, and I`m hoping that with the latter as a topper, I will get the best of both worlds -- great protection and durability with deep gloss.

Here is a larger version of the picture of my car, taken on an early August morning on Highway 2 above Big Pines, California. I`ve been trying to upload it to my gallery for an hour using three different browsers and in various formats and sizes, and nothing has worked. I apologize in advance to those with mobile devices for linking to such a large image.

Post Thanks / Like

I always apply FK1000p to my entire car and leave it on over night (not because I think it will cure harder or bond better) but because I know it`s so ridiculously easy to remove that no matter how long I wait it removes effortlessly. It`s very similar to HD Speed in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LashingStanley View Post
    I always apply FK1000p to my entire car and leave it on over night (not because I think it will cure harder or bond better) but because I know it`s so ridiculously easy to remove that no matter how long I wait it removes effortlessly. It`s very similar to HD Speed in that regard.
    Wow, I would not have expected to hear that at all.

Post Thanks / Like

My tub of fk1000p went on like cement and came off like cement never got along with it threw it away.
    Posably a bad can?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information