Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss coat longevity and re-coating

I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee in December of 2015 and completely prepped it and applied Optimum Gloss Coat per the manufacturers directions. It looked and lasted great until about a month ago April of 2017. Then I started to notice the water beading was very lazy and it didn`t have the same pop it had before. Along the last 15-16 months I used Opti Seal as a drying aid every other wash or two and this is a daily driver with about 24K miles on it now. It does sit in a garage at night. Before recoating I tried some Ferrex to see if that removed anything on the surface that may have been fooling me on the coating life but it didn`t really bring it back.

So I did ferrex on the whole Jeep, clayed it but didn`t polish then used the optimum paint prep and reapplied Gloss Coat again. It looked a bit better and the beading was better but still not like it was originally and not like my 2017 Subaru that I Gloss coated a few months ago. Water really beads like crazy on it just like my Jeep used to. So I guess I needed to completely polish it then re apply? Is that correct?

Tonight as an experiment I did just the hood, I used a DAO and some Wolfgang light polish, clay, ferrex paint prep then reapplied Gloss Coat to just the hood. How are most of you doing your re-coats of Gloss Coat?

Any tips for me or should I try a different product completely? I don`t have enough gloss coat to do the whole Jeep anyway so I am open to trying a new coating if there is a reason to switch. Overall I am pretty happy with 15 months. No sealant I ever used lasted that long.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss coat longevity and re-coating

What was your clay method when you clayed Gloss Coat?

Do you recall when you purchased gloss coat? Sometime in 2015 it got a new formula tweak to become a 3 year coating instead of a 3 year coating. Of course this is going to vary depending on one`s location and how it was maintained.

I have some more information on how to chemically and mechanically decontaminate gloss coat. I can post that if you decide to stick with gloss coat.

If you want to try something else then you have some very good options as well.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The GlossCoat was bought in December of 2015 and was the "new" version. For the clay I used a Groits mitt clay with speed shine or maybe Optimum ONR as the lubricant. I can`t remember which, but I always sprayed the paint with paint prep before the application

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that polishing will remove the coating. If you are open to trying a new coating you have some very good options. If you were happy with gloss coat then I say stick with it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Make SURE you remove all the residue from paint prep. After initial application, go over the paint again with a clean MF towel to get the paint residue free.

Thread Information