Post Thanks / Like

Zep 505

Does anyone here use ZEP 505 and if so,
    do you use it straight or do you dilute
    it and to what ratio?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zep 505

I would suggest using Meg`s M108 Super Degreaser or Poor Boy`s World Citrus-based All-purpose Cleaner/Degreaser instead. I do NOT think Zep 505 is "safe" as a degreaser on today`s aluminum-prevalent engines and now sheet metal. When I say safe, I mean causing aluminum-bloom or white etching if it is left so sit on aluminum too long or it runs and pool into cracks and crevices that are inaccessible to rinsing. I just like to play it safe, especially if the vehicle I am working on is someone else`s!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I would suggest using Meg`s M108 Super Degreaser or Poor Boy`s World Citrus-based All-purpose Cleaner/Degreaser instead. I do NOT think Zep 505 is "safe" as a degreaser on today`s aluminum-prevalent engines and now sheet metal. When I say safe, I mean causing aluminum-bloom or white etching if it is left so sit on aluminum too long or it runs and pool into cracks and crevices that are inaccessible to rinsing. I just like to play it safe, especially if the vehicle I am working on is someone else`s!!
    ZEP claims 505 is okay to use on aluminum but like any of the harsher cleaners I think I`d try it on a test area first.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of using it for cleaning tires
    and possible as an engine cleaner.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRW67 View Post
    I was thinking of using it for cleaning tires
    and possible as an engine cleaner.

Jim
    I use it on tires, works great. Tried it on an engine and it doesnt wipe clean. Left a chalky finish on the plastic parts so it would need to be `rinsed` clean. I think there are much better options for engine cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Great for tires and like others, not sure about under the hood for AL covers ans whatnot.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Great for tires and like others, not sure about under the hood for AL covers ans whatnot.
    Great for tires unless it`s not safe for aluminum and yer working around bare aluminum wheels.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all.

It`s tires only and I take it`s full strength.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Note that "only for tires" might not be an absolute "only" if the wheel rims have any compromised-finish areas, like from wheel weights or curbing. IME a great % of wheels have vulnerable areas. But if it`s aluminum-safe then who cares...

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator
    I think it`s time to forget about 505.
    Are there tire cleaners that will be safe
    on wheels as well? The wheels are on
    a Honda and are stock, painted gray and
    look like mags.

Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, 505 is an excellent tire cleaner, my first choice after testing against my long-time favorite from a local detail vendor. For degreasing, such as engine compartments, I much prefer Zep Citrus, diluted 1:4. It cuts through about anything I`ve come across with minimal effort, rinses clean and leaves even polished aluminum unhurt, even though the ph is well up the alkaline side of the spectrum. I`ve never used 505 on bare, polished aluminum yet, since the rims on the cars I care for are either chrome, clearcoated or painted, so no experience there. But it`s earned shelf space for me just for its tire cleaning ability. My next test will be Simple Green Pro, as I`ve learned it`s a consumer-packaged version of a product SG sells for airplanes, where aluminum is the predominant metal.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Biully Jack- Good on you for doing your research and using the proper SG product!

Quote Originally Posted by JRW67 View Post
    Accumulator
    I think it`s time to forget about 505.
    Are there tire cleaners that will be safe
    on wheels as well? The wheels are on
    a Honda and are stock, painted gray and
    look like mags.

Thanks
    Jim
    Eh, don`t let me make you *too* paranoid about it...I just don`t like to take unnecessary chances when it comes to aluminum. Maybe it`d be perfectly OK on your painted wheels...I was thinking "clearcoated only wheels" and on those every little bit of clouding would show and for some reason I always feel like the cleared (only) wheels are more vulnerable that the ones with a pigmented finish (AFAIK most oe wheels are powdercoated these days).

I usually use Griot`s Rubber Cleaner, but don`t really recommend it as it`s in that "so safe it doesn`t even hurt the dirt that much" category...no, my tires aren`t as clean as an Autopian`s oughta be

P21s Total Auto Wash ("TAW") works well and is safe for everything, but pricey. So I at least answered the Q, but IMO you oughta go with some other recommendation (that`s undoubtedly be cheaper) from somebody else. Just because I like having TAW around, and yeah it did come to mind since I just used it effectively on the Tahoe`s winter wheels/tires...eh, that doesn`t mean it`s right for everybody and it`s easy for me to spend your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man, I`ve been a HUGE fan of 505 for several years now. It might have been on here, or another forum, where a member advised me to try it and I`ve never looked back. I used to use Zep Purple to clean tires. It did a good job, but it`s caustic as Hell and made me cough. The 505 (I cut it about 25-40%) does a great job and I`ve had ZERO issues using it. It just performs well. Period. I also hate the idea of paying shipping for a bloody APC that I can buy locally with no effort. Zep 505 will be cleaning all of my tires for the foreseeable future. I highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Billy Jack and Accumulator I`ll give it a try
    and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

JRW67- Hope it works fine for you (bet it will), sheesh I sure gave you both sided of the argument on this one

richy- Ah, that`s one strong recommendation! No issues with it ever messing with anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information