Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire All-In-One Trim and Tire vs McKee`s 37 Plastic Trim Restorer

I am scheduling a detailing job on a Mini convertible and I am looking for a product I can use around the plastic pieces, engine compartment.
    I am running out of !Z Vinyl-Rubber care and protectant along with Gummi Pflege Stift for the rubber trim on my Porsche Carrera, so perhaps these products can be replaced with Blackfire or McKee`s.

Aside from the Blackfire and McKee`s products, I am also considering RaggTopp for the top, but that`s a dedicated product and I would have to give it to the owner because I never do convertibles, so it would be a waste for me. Would consider buying it if nothing else out there would do as good a job as this dedicated product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire All-In-One Trim and Tire vs McKee`s 37 Plastic Trim Restorer

The best fabric top cleaner and protectant you can have is RaggTop. You might consider Aerospace`s 303 fabric cleaner and protectant, but I think it`s designed more for RV awning fabric material, which MAY be similar to car convertible to material or tonneau roof material. The real "tricK" is getting the fabric thoroughly clean before putting any type of protectant on it.

That cleanliness also applies to plastic/vinyl trim. McKee`s also makes a vinyl trim wax remover/cleaner that you may consider. Otherwise a good APC and some proper brushes and elbow grease (I say "proper" because some vinyl may be soft and a hard bristle brush and/or overzealous physical brushing can/will permanently scratch it) may offer the clean that is needed before a trim restorer is applied. I would go with the McKee`s 37 trim Restorer. You can find some recent posts that review this very product.
    http://www.autopia.org/forums/detail...-restorer.html
    GB detailer
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The best fabric top cleaner and protectant you can have is RaggTop. You might consider Aerospace`s 303 fabric cleaner and protectant, but I think it`s designed more for RV awning fabric material, which MAY be similar to car convertible to material or tonneau roof material. The real "tricK" is getting the fabric thoroughly clean before putting any type of protectant on it.

That cleanliness also applies to plastic/vinyl trim. McKee`s also makes a vinyl trim wax remover/cleaner that you may consider. Otherwise a good APC and some proper brushes and elbow grease (I say "proper" because some vinyl may be soft and a hard bristle brush and/or overzealous physical brushing can/will permanently scratch it) may offer the clean that is needed before a trim restorer is applied. I would go with the McKee`s 37 trim Restorer. You can find some recent posts that review this very product.
    http://www.autopia.org/forums/detail...-restorer.html
    I read reviews and comments on both BF and Mckees and that is why I posted the question as both seemed very good for my application, but couldn`t discern the better of the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of these are different types of products. McKee`s 37 Trim restorer is made to essentially be a protectant for trim. Blacfire All In One is just that. It contains a little cleaning ability as well as leaving a layer of protection behind.

I have only used blackfire and not the mckee`s trim restorer. I`ve used it on rubber and plastic.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...detailing.html

Mike Phillips has mentioned many times that rag top works very well. Good write up from him. Up sell him on cleaning it and maintaining it.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tible-top.html
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I am scheduling a detailing job on a Mini convertible and I am looking for a product I can use around the plastic pieces, engine compartment.
    I am running out of !Z Vinyl-Rubber care and protectant along with Gummi Pflege Stift for the rubber trim on my Porsche Carrera, so perhaps these products can be replaced with Blackfire or McKee`s.

Aside from the Blackfire and McKee`s products, I am also considering RaggTopp for the top, but that`s a dedicated product and I would have to give it to the owner because I never do convertibles, so it would be a waste for me. Would consider buying it if nothing else out there would do as good a job as this dedicated product.
    Not to sound facetious, but you are doing one now! I would keep the RaggTopp for myself because you never know when the freind-of-a-friend- may ask you to detail their convertible top car in the future. OR you may need to detail some senior-citizen`s Buick, Cadillac, or Lincoln with a "stylish" Tonneau fabric roof.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Not to sound facetious, but you are doing one now! I would keep the RaggTopp for myself because you never know when the freind-of-a-friend- may ask you to detail their convertible top car in the future. OR you may need to detail some senior-citizen`s Buick, Cadillac, or Lincoln with a "stylish" Tonneau fabric roof.
    Thanks for all the good info. After 40 + years I have never done a conv. top and I now live in an area, PNW, where the chances of doing another soon is much less than when I lived in L.A. I have some time to consider keeping it as I recommended to my friend to wait until we get a period of sunshine. I have to place an order for a couple of the products.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Raggtopp stuff when I first got a 370Z Roadster, but quickly changed over to 303 Fabric Protectant. I didn`t like cleaning up the Raggtopp aerosol overspray. 303 is much easier to use. You can even "paint" it on with a brush. The 303 has good UV protection which is essential for a black fabric roof to slow fading. I have since sold all of my convertibles, but still use the 303 Fabric Protection all around the house. It works as good as Scothguard on fabric seats too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I used Raggtopp stuff when I first got a 370Z Roadster, but quickly changed over to 303 Fabric Protectant. I didn`t like cleaning up the Raggtopp aerosol overspray. 303 is much easier to use. You can even "paint" it on with a brush. The 303 has good UV protection which is essential for a black fabric roof to slow fading. I have since sold all of my convertibles, but still use the 303 Fabric Protection all around the house. It works as good as Scothguard on fabric seats too.
    Not sure why you don`t have to clean up with the 303 but you do with the Raggtopp. Don`t you get overspray with either one?
    What do you recommend for cleaning before applying the 303?

Post Thanks / Like

The Raggtopp is an aerosol spray that goes where it wants to, very atomized. The 303 you can control the overspray much better or pour it into a container and brush or mop it onto your fabric top. Getting the overspray from Raggtopp off anything was a chore. When I first started using Raggtopp I tried taping everything off to prevent overspray, I got a tip from another member about 303 and I never went back. I still have some Raggtopp left.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 303 Fabric Cleaner. Buy gallon sizes of both the protectant and the cleaner and save money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I use 303 Fabric Cleaner. Buy gallon sizes of both the protectant and the cleaner and save money.
    One more question- any particular brush you use to clean the fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a brush that I believe came in the Raggtopp kit. I looks like a shoe shine brush. Possibly horsehair. Not too soft and not too hard.

Thread Information