Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang DGPS vs Soft99 King Of Gloss

Hello all. I don`t like calling these wax tests of mine "this vs that" because it`s not a competition. It`s just two LSP`s, side by side, in the same general area. But.. it`s fun to compare

So the victim this time is the hood of my girlfriend`s VW not-so-new New Beatle (2008). The LSP`s we`ll be observing for beading, watershedding, and longevity are..

Wolfgang Deep Goss Paint Sealant 3.0. This big 16-ounce bottle is a legend in these parts, and with good reason. I used to detest sealants until I tried Sonus SFX-4, then WGDGPS. With these, I get gloss and depth on dark paint like that of a carnauba, with ease-of-use and longevity. WGDGPS beats out the less expensive Sonus both in depth and longevity by a bit, making it worth the extra coin. In fact, when I bought my bottle of WG, I compared it to P21S, which is my benchmark of good-looking, not-too-expensive LSP. Wolfgang compared favorably, lasted a MONTH longer, and was as easy to use.

WGDGPS is $39.99 for 16 oz ($2.50 per ounce).

and..

Soft99 King Of Gloss. This sealant is all the rage in parts of Europe and I would assume in it`s home land of Japan. It`s not widely marketed here in the US, but after quick search, you`ll have a pot in a few weeks if you`re so inclined. This monster paste sealant is PTFE-based and 100% synthetic. It`s difficult to find some real English information on this product. It`s not even listed on Soft99`s English website, where they make the claim: "We always offer `Keep Clean` in your lifestyle". After I had my fill of "all your base are belong to us" I decided to just try the darn stuff. The product IS well-reviewed, especially in the UK.

Soft99 KOG is $26.00 to $30 for 10.58 oz ($2.46 per ounce on the low side). Basically the same a WGDGPS. But that`s where the similarities end.

The Victim, after application:

Not much to see there, lighting-wise, sorry. But, both LSP`s did a great job making this stubborn color pop to life.

PREP: Wash, clay, and hand-polished with DoDo Lime Prime, then wiped down vigorously with CarPro Eraser.

APPLICATION: I followed the instructions for both products, except for the WGDGPS, where I left it on the car for about 20 minutes, because it`s what us guys do.

WGDGPS is a dream to apply and remove.

I applied KOG thin and basically walked into the garage for a drink of water. Apparently that was too long. The instructions say 5 to 10 minutes. I waited maybe 3, and found this to be one of the most difficult LSP`s to remove. Hey! I thought sealants were easy! The next time I use it, I`m going to treat it as a quasi-WOWO product, keeping a sharp eye on it. Your millage will vary. The instructions give warning about leaving it on too long, and they say your experience might be different in summer. It was about 82F outside.

BEADING: Fantastic on both products. I waited 24 hours to cure before hitting it with water.

WATER-SHEDDING: Soft99 KOG is the King Of Hydrophobicity. No LSP I`ve used has been this hydrophobic. Water just disappears! Wolfgang also does a great job, as expected. This photo was taken after flooding the hood with my spray on "soaker".

Drying the Soft99 KOG side with a dry "Dry Me A River" towel was instantaneous.

SO... lets wait for some longevity status. This car is 24-7 outside, full sun exposure, in Florida.

I`ll leave you with some beads, `cause everybody loves beads!!

Thanks Ronkh, ShakingHorizons, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang DGPS vs Soft99 King Of Gloss

Cool test

Gonna be interesting
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the review. To note, I had the same issue with removing Soft99 Fusso Coat. An absolute bear to remove after 15min. Phenominal beading and protection, tho...surpasses FK1000p as a paste sealant.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I have a tin of KOG white, and it has some English on it, but nothing definitive about cure times. It just says "do not leave for a long time after applying." I`ll take that to mean wipe it off in less than 5 minutes.
    Either that or you are supposed to stand next to the car for awhile before you can go anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice test! Fusso has been really fun to play around with, I would love to get my hands on King of Gloss as well. Someone tell Paul we need somebody to find a way to get the Soft99 brand over here to the States to a wider audience!
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve seen the Fusso brand on eBay and have been tempted (all waxes/sealants tempt me). Glad you got some to try out. If it is better than FK1000 Accumulator may have heart failure. Lol. Thanks for putting in the time for the review!
    Likes RMD, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Wolfgang DGPS vs Soft99 King Of Gloss

I have the FUSSO 12 Month Wax Black Edition. Maybe I didn`t let it setup as long as you did but I had no issues removing it. I was out of Sonax PNS (my usual winter LSP), so I applied the Fusso Wax instead. It wasn`t a brutal winter here in the Northeast, but the Fusso Wax held up very well.

I stumbled across this wax when I was window shopping for a new winter wax/sealant. The fact that it was hard to find in the US just fueled the fire to track it down. Sort of like Riccardo Yellow Clay during the patent enforcement.
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Where are everyone getting there Soft99 product from?

Post Thanks / Like

awesome test

all I hear about on some of the European based facebook groups for detailing is Fusso and king of gloss... are those the same products or different? I like the idea of ptfe in the `wax` .. sweet beading mary!

edit: oh yea there`s usually posts on facebook groups about people asking why its so hard to remove as well, thanks for the heads up there in case I end up buying some

Brandt K.
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    awesome test

all I hear about on some of the European based facebook groups for detailing is Fusso and king of gloss... are those the same products or different? I like the idea of ptfe in the `wax` .. sweet beading mary!

edit: oh yea there`s usually posts on facebook groups about people asking why its so hard t there in case I end up buying some
    Fusso and King of Gloss are different products. I`ve never had difficulty removing either, apply a thin coat and it comes off easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraman View Post
    Fusso and King of Gloss are different products. I`ve never had difficulty removing either, apply a thin coat and it comes off easily.
    do you immediately remove or thin coat and cure for X time?

edit: and what`s a thin coat? hahaha

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Highly recommend to review this video a little long but well worth it
    Fusso Coat by Soft 99 review demo overview - YouTube
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 on the video, it`s long but informative.

I wasn`t crazy about the applicator packaged with the wax so I used a Meg`s yellow foam applicator instead. As spelled out in the video, it has a very strong solvent smell.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=512detail;2105254]do you immediately remove or thin coat and cure for X time?

edit: and what`s a thin coat? hahaha[/QUOTE

I`ve done both, removed immediately and allowed to cure for (time based on swipe test) 10 minutes or so, with no real difference in removal effort.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Thanks for posting this, especially about the Soft99.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    ... If it is better than FK1000 Accumulator may have heart failure. Lol.
    That *DID* get my attention! It`ll take me a few more years to use up all my FK1000P, but I`ll be paying attention to this one.

I can`t recall *EVER* having any LSP be tough to use unless I botched it up somehow, so I`m not too worried about that. But durability and especially etching-resistance are critical to me, so I`ll look forward to how it performs for people. So maybe (hint hint ) somebody`ll leave a bird-bomb and some bugs on it for 8 months or so and post back about whether it etched.

Who knows, maybe I`ll change my tune and start fan-boying this stuff! Hey, not so long ago I was all about Collinite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information