Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Booster...anyone tried it?

Thinking of maybe giving this a go over the top of CquartzUK or McKees Paint Coating. Product blurb says it increases the `self-cleaning` abilities of a coating. Curiosity is getting the better of me...

Seems like perhaps the pro-only Gyeon offering of their Durabead product (Gyeon Q2 MOHS + Gyeon Q2 Bead) is possibly comprised of their consumer MOHS + (re-labeled) Booster?

Used Gyeon MOHS on a vehicle 2 weeks (about 100 miles or so) ago but don`t wanna taint that vehicle with the Booster as I`d like to see how the MOHS holds up on it`s own. Gyeon says it can be applied over an existing coating at less than 2000km but still...

Gyeon Q2 Booster is a extremely innovative fluorine based topcoat for all SiO2 quartz based paint protection coatings, enriching the surface with an extremely hydrophobic (water hating) surface. The effect of this is that GYEON Q2 Booster makes water bead like never seen before on quartz coatings with tight uniform beading with a contact angle of up to 120° with the effect lasting up to 12 months at a time. We`re not afraid to say, that Q2 Booster is the longest-lasting beading top coat in the world.
    Because of Gyeon Q2 Booster makes the surface of the paint so hydrophobic there is a huge increase in self-cleaning properties combined with superb anti-static properties. It also ensures anti-graffiti properties, making the removal of any type of staining easy and fast
    The application of GYEON Q2 Booster is also very easy. Prepare the surface, ensuring an oil/grease free finish and apply moderate amounts in a criss-cross motion. Thanks to the fast evaporating formula, GYEON Q2 Booster requires only light and easy polishing.
    GYEON Q2 Booster works on all types of quartz coatings meaning it is compatible with quartz coatings from other brands.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Booster...anyone tried it?

Try it and let us know
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd, BadgerRivFan, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Try it and let us know
    Yeah, really kinda a moot point since I already ordered it at 2:36am this morning (using the other days AG Code...how could I pass it up?) but still curious if anybody would come back with "Don`t do that...it`s lame" as I really haven`t heard too much about it.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Yeah, really kinda a moot point since I already ordered it at 2:36am this morning (using the other days AG Code...how could I pass it up?) but still curious if anybody would come back with "Don`t do that...it`s lame" as I really haven`t heard too much about it.
    Haven`t had anything from Gyeon line that I haven`t liked.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been told it works very well, beads great if you like beading, and easy to apply. I`ve heard it is like the phobic that is used with moh`s plus?
    Likes Ronkh, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I`ve been told it works very well, beads great if you like beading, and easy to apply. I`ve heard it is like the phobic that is used with moh`s plus?
    Not sure if it`s like the Phobic with MOHS+ or the Bead that comes with Q2 Durabead...he, we`ll see how it goes! Personally prefer sheeting over beading but it`s going on a year old fleet vehicle so not too bad if it underperforms or performs in an unexpected manner. At any rate, we`ll see how self-cleaning it really is.

Q2 DURABEADAdvanced quartz technology combined with user friendly characteristics
    Q² DuraBead is a advanced, two-ingredient and multi-layer ceramic coating designed to suit the requirements of Gyeon Certified Detailers. Multiple layers of Q² Mohs as the base coat topped with a extremely hydrophobic, flourine based top coat Q² Bead result with uncompared hydrophobicity, self-cleaning and great durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one experience with Booster 2y ago, and it went so poorly that I won`t be using it again. I read some stuff about people questioning whether there was any Booster on their MF suede cloths because it flashed so quickly. I thought that it couldn`t be that bad.

It was.

Frequently I couldn`t tell if I had applied anything on my car. Despite following the directions, I felt the product was probably very sensitive to temp and humidity, and despite working in smaller and smaller sections (hey, maybe my first few panels were done with too large of an application area), I still couldn`t tell if I had completely applied the product.

After applying, I noticed a couple days later - when there was a thin haze of moisture on the car from a particularly humid night - that there were streaks all over the car. I could absolutely not see these under any lighting or the sun when the car was dry. It looked great from the 22PLE and recent correction, but with the humidity, it looked awful.

Got a bottle of EXOv2 and put three coats on the car.

Much better.

My experience from a couple of years ago. Maybe it`s reformulated.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I had one experience with Booster 2y ago, and it went so poorly that I won`t be using it again. I read some stuff about people questioning whether there was any Booster on their MF suede cloths because it flashed so quickly. I thought that it couldn`t be that bad.

It was.
    Uh oh...maybe that`s why there seems to be limited mention of it. Gyeon Booster...anyone tried it?

Have read the application concerns on the quick flashing/am I really applying anything front, maybe applying in lower temp setting will help that.

Was kinda an impulse purchase at 2:30am the other night when I couldn`t sleep so maybe I`ll get what I deserve for doing things like that!

I`ll just use it over the McKees then so if it goes awry not that big of a loss $$ wise. Kinda a pricey item though, maybe only to end up on my growing list of `Seemed like a good idea at the time...` purchases.

And this is how I learn...Gyeon Booster...anyone tried it?
    Likes Audios S6 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and call esoteric car care . They will be more than happy to offer advice. The directions are apparently for other areas. For example, if you let mohs sit for the amount of time the directions say you`ll never get it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    For example, if you let mohs sit for the amount of time the directions say you`ll never get it off.
    I definitely agree with that! My overall experience with Mohs was tremendously positive. However in the one area where I let it sit as long as they recommended, I had to polish that area!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...did some Mohs last week in 55 degree weather. It was a casual on/off but went on very nicely; a true pleasure to work with and great results.

was kinda puzzled about directions vs. reality disparity. i think their website or somewhere else`s had accurate directions; it all came out nice.

Not overly concerned about the Booster experience...kinda looking forward the `unknowns` of the process.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out testing Booster again today on top of Prime and Mohs, I will ditto the above statements. Applied 1 hour after application of Prime and Mohs, I saw no noticeable difference in the performance rinsing today after 4 days of curing. Prime and Mohs both have different water signatures, Prime is slightly more hydrophobic in the short term and better short term resilience, much better resistance against high alkaline degreasers. Booster did not seem to alter any of these properties to boost Mohs up to Prime`s short term performance.

Has anyone gotten Booster to work for them? $80 for 30ml, you`re more likely to use half of the bottle just on the hood trying to guess if you`ve gotten anything to actually bond to the surface due to its quick flash point. Even if it did work it`s a tough sell for its price given how well Can Coat performs, but $80 to drop on something that doesn`t easily prove it`s working is nuts.

WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda forgot about this thread. Have used Booster over CanCoat and over a fresh Mohs application. From what the Gyeon North American rep told me last summer, Mohs + Booster = `Consumer` Durabead.

I was mostly interested in the flourine in it as flourine (as used in 22ple HPC as well) because it helps with hydrophobic (or is that hydrophilic?) and self cleaning.

Using over a fresh, 2 coat application of Mohs on a white 2017 Ford F150 truck, I used about 85% of the 30ml bottle. It is a `faith based` application process though because it flashes so quick you have no real visual cues past the first swipe of a newly-loaded applicator. I could tell by feel (slick) where I had applied/not yet applied. Sometimes ya just gotta believe as to coverage. Oddly, I quite enjoyed using it despite its somewhat different characteristics.

It added gloss and slickness IMO and we`ll see how durability and self cleaning vs just Mohs goes. I have another pack that someday I`ll probably use over a Prime kit I still haven`t used on anything.

A bit pricey for my liking, though. Add to a 50ml Mohs kit and you`re getting up there with respect to cost.

When I heard Gyeon released a 2 part, consumer avaliable Mohs-based product at SEMA, (Gyeon Syncro) I kinda thought they were making an equivalent kit for us non pros, one that would approximate the Mohs + Booster combo at a slightly lower cost. Guess we`ll have to see how Syncro compares.

FWIW, the Gyeon rep mentioned that there was some kinda actual chemical reaction/bonding/catalyst effect that takes place when using Booster on top of a coating, hence the need to use relatively soon after a coating application.

I liked Booster...but not enough to keep using at $79 per 30ml/application. Around $40-$45 maybe...but in that case, why not just go with CanCoat on top?

As an aside, I`m still in a CanCoat phase and currently revisiting all the fleet vehicles I coated with a variety of coatings, topping them each with CanCoat after chem decon or Finitura in the case of the 22ple HPC vehicle. I guess I could top one of them with Booster despite that application being outside the Gyeon application parameters with respect to time. Hmmmm.....

Fleet vehicles sure are handy to have around.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Thread Information