Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What coating to try next...

That is fine. I just would like to compare to the CSL/Exo. I figured there would be enough to do the front clip and maybe include the front doors and do the rest with CSL/EXO combination to compare them. I have enough CSL and EXOv3 to do the truck but from your posts it seems the 22ple is one you liked a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    That is fine. I just would like to compare to the CSL/Exo. I figured there would be enough to do the front clip and maybe include the front doors and do the rest with CSL/EXO combination to compare them. I have enough CSL and EXOv3 to do the truck but from your posts it seems the 22ple is one you liked a lot.
    Ok...stuff does kinda go pretty far so you`ll likely be able to get one coat on the front clip if not more; stuff is insanely easy to use especially early in the morning when temps are between 60-70 degrees and low humidity. Not bad in more `severe` weather conditions but just crazy easy in the right temp range.

PM me your address and I`ll send it out Monday. Whatever the coverage, it`ll be outta my cabinet so that`s good enough for me. After all the coatings mentioned in this thread, I`m going back `home` so-to-speak and sticking with the Kamikaze combo (Miyabi + ISM) for jobs willing to to foot the bill (and my own cars) and the Kamikaze Miyabi for all others.

So many coatings out there (over the counter availability) that I gotta stop this experimentation at some point. I think I`ve reached that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Another coating related note: Put 2 coats of Kami Miyabi only on a friends truck 2 weeks ago, truck hasn`t been washed since.

Saw it yesterday after a heavy rainstorm, truck looked like it was just hand washed. While I have been living and enjoying the Miyabi /ISM combo on our own car, had never done Miyabi only.

Quite impressive...I was actually kinda surprised.
    This is good to know re: Miyabi. I`m picking up my (new to me) Lexus GS 350 on Monday and looking to get it in shape and a coating on it right away as my new DD. I`m not so much inclined to do the 2 coats of Miyabi followed by ISM, rather I`ll probably pick one of the two and go with it. Glad to hear that Miyabi is looking great as a stand alone. There`s not as much out there about Miyabi and results by itself. Still can`t decide if I should go with ISM, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    This is good to know re: Miyabi. I`m picking up my (new to me) Lexus GS 350 on Monday and looking to get it in shape and a coating on it right away as my new DD. I`m not so much inclined to do the 2 coats of Miyabi followed by ISM, rather I`ll probably pick one of the two and go with it. Glad to hear that Miyabi is looking great as a stand alone. There`s not as much out there about Miyabi and results by itself. Still can`t decide if I should go with ISM, though.
    Actually, I was quite surprised by the Miyabi alone...had done a car or two with it last fall but haven`t been able to watch `em much as time went on. Ran across a Ford Ranger daily driver i used Miyabi x2 on (applied around 06/11/2017) and asked the guy if he had just washed it because it looked so clean (dark gray metallic); he said hadn`t washed it since application but it had rained the day before and that had cleaned it right up. Didn`t even have time after application to use Overcoat so it was just bare Miyabi. I was kinda impressed. Did a dark blue metallic Kia Optima last week and applied Miyabi at around 70 degrees and no humidity and the wait/dwell time after application was about 8 -10 minutes, wipe-off was a breeze...just a soft touch required.

ISM is a little trickier as it`s a very thick coating and dwell time is cut in half compared to Miyabi; I always manage to push some ISM to another panel unknowingly when removing it which means I get to do whole panel again when i notice it a few days later. Can`t spot repair the Miyabi + ISM combo as the Miyabi darkens the paint so buffing off a spot leaves a noticeable `hole` in the appearance. When I was doing Miyabi on the Ford Ranger I did notice a high spot on the roof after the first coat and it was removed by hand with Menz 2400 (3500 didn`t cut it), more Miyabi applied and by time second coat was done, it handed blended in nicely. SO there is some forgiveness with Miyabi alone if you need to correct just a spot in the initial coat, maybe not so much if ya notice after 2 coats are on.

For me, the appearance is great but it`s the self-cleaning ability of Kami stuff that really makes it worthwhile. Miyabi goes a long way as well, used maybe 80% of the 30ml bottle to do 2 coats on the Kia Optima, which is a fairly mid-sized car.

Nice thing about ISM is that it`s `one and done`; a second layer is not recommended. So what to do when you`re left with half a bottle of ISM after a single coat on the average car? Well, the stuff makes an absolutely AMAZING trim coating, will even restore the darkness somewhat to faded black plastic and, yes, windshield wiper arms (like they state in the description).

I`m sure you`ll be pleased whichever one you choose.
    Thanks boomdone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead with Miyabi, so easy and super results. You can always decide to get ISM later on and should be able to top Miyabi with a light decon / clay.
    But if you ask me.. get both. You`ll know why after experiencing them
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks boomdone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Actually, I was quite surprised by the Miyabi alone...had done a car or two with it last fall but haven`t been able to watch `em much as time went on. Ran across a Ford Ranger daily driver i used Miyabi x2 on (applied around 06/11/2017) and asked the guy if he had just washed it because it looked so clean (dark gray metallic); he said hadn`t washed it since application but it had rained the day before and that had cleaned it right up. Didn`t even have time after application to use Overcoat so it was just bare Miyabi. I was kinda impressed. Did a dark blue metallic Kia Optima last week and applied Miyabi at around 70 degrees and no humidity and the wait/dwell time after application was about 8 -10 minutes, wipe-off was a breeze...just a soft touch required.

ISM is a little trickier as it`s a very thick coating and dwell time is cut in half compared to Miyabi; I always manage to push some ISM to another panel unknowingly when removing it which means I get to do whole panel again when i notice it a few days later. Can`t spot repair the Miyabi + ISM combo as the Miyabi darkens the paint so buffing off a spot leaves a noticeable `hole` in the appearance. When I was doing Miyabi on the Ford Ranger I did notice a high spot on the roof after the first coat and it was removed by hand with Menz 2400 (3500 didn`t cut it), more Miyabi applied and by time second coat was done, it handed blended in nicely. SO there is some forgiveness with Miyabi alone if you need to correct just a spot in the initial coat, maybe not so much if ya notice after 2 coats are on.

For me, the appearance is great but it`s the self-cleaning ability of Kami stuff that really makes it worthwhile. Miyabi goes a long way as well, used maybe 80% of the 30ml bottle to do 2 coats on the Kia Optima, which is a fairly mid-sized car.

Nice thing about ISM is that it`s `one and done`; a second layer is not recommended. So what to do when you`re left with half a bottle of ISM after a single coat on the average car? Well, the stuff makes an absolutely AMAZING trim coating, will even restore the darkness somewhat to faded black plastic and, yes, windshield wiper arms (like they state in the description).

I`m sure you`ll be pleased whichever one you choose.
    Great advice. I`ve been using Overcoat and it`s a great product which is what has made want to try their coatings (in addition to all the great reviews posted here). I live in Cincinnati and will be driving to Cleveland in a couple weeks so I`m planning to stop by Esoteric to do some shopping. Would you recommend picking up Water Spot Remover as well? Didn`t know if water spotting was an issue with their coatings but it seems like it might be good just to have in case.

Quote Originally Posted by mg031 View Post
    Go ahead with Miyabi, so easy and super results. You can always decide to get ISM later on and should be able to top Miyabi with a light decon / clay.
    But if you ask me.. get both. You`ll know why after experiencing them
    Thanks for that. Sounds like a great idea with Miyabi. I`m sure after living with Miyabi for a while I`ll get the itch to add something else and if I can grab ISM during a sale on down the line that will help fill my need to tinker with the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget Plan, this was a great read. Thanks. Now for a question.....Based upon some of your comments I purchased the Kami OverCoat. It is great, just as advertised. But, what is supposed to be in the new formula? What are they saying about the new version`s differences?
    Thanks in advance

Glfnaz in Scottsdale AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Budget Plan, this was a great read. Thanks. Now for a question.....Based upon some of your comments I purchased the Kami OverCoat. It is great, just as advertised. But, what is supposed to be in the new formula? What are they saying about the new version`s differences?
    Thanks in advance

Glfnaz in Scottsdale AZ
    At the Esoteric open house last month I talked to Kai (Kamikaze guy) a bit and he let me try the upcoming Overcoat on the test hood they had there. It was incredibly easy to apply, with no streaking or smudging, and left an incredibly slick surface, more so than the current Overcoat. Seemed to have a slicker, bit glossier finish to it as well.

The current Overcoat *can* streak if over applied (at least in my experience) and I think the main focus of the new one is easier application, slicker feel and better looks, likely with added protection/longevity although I can`t say for sure those last 2 aspects are the focus of it. It was mindlessly easy to use and the surface felt (and looked) great after application. He was clear that development is continuing on it so it`s not like it`ll be out next week but I`m hoping for end of summer, early fall.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice. I`ve been using Overcoat and it`s a great product which is what has made want to try their coatings (in addition to all the great reviews posted here). I live in Cincinnati and will be driving to Cleveland in a couple weeks so I`m planning to stop by Esoteric to do some shopping. Would you recommend picking up Water Spot Remover as well? Didn`t know if water spotting was an issue with their coatings but it seems like it might be good just to have in case.
    I ordered some more ISM and other stuff today, almost ordered the Water Spot Remover on a whim but actually restrained myself for once as I have really never had a need for it since applying the Miyabi/ISM and also on the Miyabi only vehicles I`ve done, no one ever indicated it was an issue; the combo of the coatings + Overcoat has never led to water spot issues and these are/were cars that get rained on and then sit out in the sun for a few hours after that. Water beads with Kamikaze seem smaller than other coatings and instead of sitting on the surface after the sun comes out seem to just shrink up/evaporate and not leave much of a trace. Who knows, since it`s generally on top maybe the coatings themselves are irrelevant and all we should do is apply Overcoat once a week after a wash.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a great idea with Miyabi. I`m sure after living with Miyabi for a while I`ll get the itch to add something else and if I can grab ISM during a sale on down the line that will help fill my need to tinker with the car.
    Don`t forget Infinity Wax! You can always drop that on top of Miyabi/ISM although you need to maintain it with Overcoat more diligently as I think the carnuaba in it lends itself to more beading than pure sheeting. After Infinity application it took 2 wash/Overcoat application cycles to get the surface back to it`s outstanding self-cleaning character. 4 weeks or so later with no more Overcoat added the Miyabi+ISM+Infinity+Overcoat is back to it`s delightfully self-cleaning self, with Infinity adding a really subtle look to the vehicle. I think I described it somewhere as a `relaxed Polish Angel High Gloss` look.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, have 3 brand new, bright red 2017 Ford Transit vans coming in at work in January so of course my first thought is "Cool, 3 new test vehicles!"

Thinking the new Gyeon Syncro will do nicely on 1, maybe the Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM on another and ??? For the 3rd.

Any suggestions for #3?

Have sent a few inquiries to IGL to see if a mere amateur like myself can get a hold of Ecocoat Quartz to try but no response yet/not hopeful on that front.

Our company owner did give me $1500 the other day for last year`s fleet work so finally can try some things that aren`t self-funded.

Not married to the Kami stuff for van 2 but was curious to see how that`d do wirh minimal/no maint. going forward.

Pondering CSL/EXO but did CSL alone last year so it wouldn`t be completely new experience.

Dunno...would be nice if IGL came through so I could see what all the hubbub is about.

These vans have a lot of black plastic so will be trying Gtechniq Trim (C4?) and IGL Ecocoat Trim to see how those hold up.

What to try, what to try...?

Post Thanks / Like

What coating to try next...

Have you looked into pearl nano you can buy direct. It is definitely different than csl/exo

I’m not selling it but it was definitely a different response than csl/exo I had become accustomed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing any of the Palm Beach group sells, but I`d be curious how Garry Dean`s Infinite Force Field or Infinite Force Field Pro stacks ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget

Have looked at the offering at QP-ON?
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Have you looked into pearl nano you can buy direct. It is definitely different than csl/exo

I’m not selling it but it was definitely a different response than csl/exo I had become accustomed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Used Pearl Nano last year ( What coating to try next... ). I was a nice product, lotsa folks in the Pearl Nano family like to do combos of multiple layers of the Base & Top. If I recall my final thoughts on that were that it was a nice, well performing product but at the end of the day the pricing v performance was a bit higher than some of the other more mainstream coatings out there. One thing I will say is that their glass coating was better for me than Gyeon View or Kamikaze Intenso; better water behavior without leaving any streaks from bug/debris hits on windshield. Kamikaze was very bad in that area, and Gyeon less so but the Pearl Nano Glass Coating was the best I have used. I alos remember that the base/top feel and odor during application reminded me a bit of Kamikaze Miyabi & ISM, respectively. Again, a good product but up there in price

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Nothing any of the Palm Beach group sells, but I`d be curious how Garry Dean`s Infinite Force Field or Infinite Force Field Pro stacks ups.
    Are these coatings or sealants? The infinite Force field has some nice water behavior but it mentions it`s an acrylic product. Nice price, though

This state of the art Acrylic Coating is detergent resistant, will aid in resisting wash induced marring, protects against bird bombs, bug etchings, hard water spots, tree sap, and other environmental damage. IFF provides superior UV protection from the sun`s harmful rays as well. This product produces amazing gloss and shine and is super slick. Infinite Force Field can last indefinitely when Force Field Boost is used bi-monthly to maintain. IFF should be used on paint, glass, chrome, and wheels!
    NOTE: If your vehicle has scratches and swirl marks, we recommend using Infinite Cut followed by Infinite Finish or Evo All-in-One to remove these scratches and enhance the gloss prior to applying Infinite Force Field.
    Directions: Only apply on a cool, dry surface, out of direct sunlight. Wash the vehicle with Ghost Rinseless Wash or The Perfect Soap, clay bar using Ghost as lubricant, wipe vehicle down with Stripper Juice, then apply IFF to one panel at a time by either misting IFF on a microfiber towel or applicator and wiping it on, or using a dual action polisher and an applicator pad on speed 3-4. First prime your applicator with 3-4 sprays of product. Then start from top to bottom, wiping in from side to side until coating is smooth. Overlap as you apply to each section. Use Force Field Boost to smooth out any high spots before you move to the next panel.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Budget

Have looked at the offering at QP-ON?
    Looked into a bit a little while ago but can`t seem to find where I could order or find pricing.

FWIW, DI is having 25% off on coatings today 12/21 thru 12/23, including new Gyeon offerings (Waxes and sealants as well). Cheaper than their $2500+ wholesale pricing tier even.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget

PM sent
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information