Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Beasley`s The Final Finish QD, mini-review

With the recent interest in Dr. Beasley`s, I thought I`d share with you a product from the good doctor that I really like: Dr. Beasley`s "The Final Finish" quick detail spray. This morning when I looked on AG, they had the Matte version of this spray. This review is for the normal version. Hopefully AG will carry it.

A good QD must do four things well in order for me to keep reaching for it. Or at least a really strong combination of three of these:
    1. It must flash quickly and not streak
    2. It must add gloss
    3. It should leave some protection behind
    4. It must take care of fingerprints, smudges, and very light dust

Dr. Beasley`s QD does all four - very well. It also gives you a pleasant unboxing experience. The spray comes in it`s own, sealed box, like a beauty product (which it is!!):

And the bottle has tamper-evident tape around the lid.

So I can rest assured that I didn`t get a fake. Of course, I paid for these luxuries, and I`d gladly give them up for a buck or two off.

The chemistry of this spray is a bit odd. It does not smell pleasant to me, which is an oddity in this segment. It`s not horrid, just not "nice". Very medicinal. Secondly, look at this spray - it actually comes out a bit soapy looking:

But then, oddly, it flashes away in a snap and leaves no residue. The bubbles tell me they are likely using some good old-fashioned surfactants, possibly sodium sulfate or the like. No matter.. it works, and likely aids in the spreading (wetting action) of the spray, so that it doesn`t "drag" (think CarPro Eraser or IPA).

I compared Dr. Beasley`s Final Finish QD to three of my favorites from CG, Polish Angel, and Poorboy`s. Compared to those, and if price were no object, here`s my ranking, and why:

1) Polish Angel Presto: A thick buttery red snot of a spray that magically melts into the paint, flashes away, and leaves a brilliant deep shine. Protection and beading are great. There`s nothing not to like but the price.
    2) Dr. Beasley`s Final Finish: Like I said earlier, it ticks all the boxes. It`s not an aromatic treat, but I can look over that.
    3) Poorboy`s QD+: This requires a bit of buffing, but you are rewarded with a deep glossy shine. I think it cleans better than the others as well.
    4) Chemical Guys V7: This is the quick-flash king, but the look left behind is a bit on the candy side.

I could also put FK425 at a tie for third, and Adams Detailer tied with 4th. The FK due to being finicky, and the Adams due to weak protection.

Se here they are: can you tell a difference at the end of the day? Not likely on THIS photograph, but it`s all I got.

pricing:

Dr. Beasley`s: $14.99 for 12oz (($1.25 per ounce))
    Polish Angel Presto: $39.95 for 16.9oz (($2.36 per ounce))
    Poorboy`s QD+: $15.99 for 16oz (($1.00 per ounce))
    Chemical Guys V7: $17.99 for 16oz (($1.12 per ounce))

In summary, the only CONS I can detect are the irritatingly small size (12 ounces) and it`s a bit pricey, but not prohibitively so for the enthusiast. The PROS are many. Highly Recommended.

Thanks The Driver, KBsToy thanked for this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Beasley`s The Final Finish QD, mini-review

Great review Dr. Beasley`s The Final Finish QD, mini-review
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! It makes me want to try one of these products just to see how much better they might be than my newest $0.59/oz. Griot`s Garage "Best of Show Detailer". Since I`m a newb, my only other point of QD reference is Wolfgang`s detailer.

I really have to wonder though, can Polish Angel at four times the cost of Griot`s be that much better? My impression is that QD`s struggle to differentiate themselves due to similar performance. You could argue that Polish Angel has found the answer - price!
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BlackMDX! I used to have a black MDX. Best car ever. You bring up some really good points....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    ... makes me want to try one of these products just to see how much better they might be than my newest $0.59/oz. Griot`s Garage "Best of Show Detailer". Since I`m a newb, my only other point of QD reference is Wolfgang`s detailer.
    Those are great products. If you like them, I`d stick with them until you run out and just want to try something else. "Better" is SO subjective with these products. Unless you`re into hoarding QD`s like I am, and just enjoy the chemistry, packaging, and subtle nuances that each product brings, you`ll be frustrated trying to find "better than" products. I`ve tried 20 QD`s (at least) and have only found 3 that I did not like for one reason or another.

I really have to wonder though, can Polish Angel at four times the cost of Griot`s be that much better?
    The short answer is "no", which brings me to your next point...

My impression is that QD`s struggle to differentiate themselves due to similar performance.
    So true. In my experience, a QD can be "sealanty" (CG V7) or "waxy" (PB QD+) or neither (PB S&W), or an all-`rounder (Adams), etc. Some are best left as toppers to extend LSP and beautify the paint (PA or Dr. Beasley). So.. "better" for what? Is Polish Angel Presto many times better than Griots as an LSP? I`d say yes, definitely. Is it better than Griot`s as a clay lube? No. Dirt remover? No. Polish remover? No. Window cleaner? No. Bird poo remover? No. etc..

You could argue that Polish Angel has found the answer - price!
    He he, well yeah, there`s a marketing saying that "price sells the product". $3,000 speaker cables. $1400 cuff links. $10,000 watch. Those are good examples. A $40 spray detailer? Maybe a little, but there IS something tangible inside the bottle. PA Presto is unlike any QD I`ve used, and that`s what differentiates it. That, and the price, and the shipping from Germany.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict, I don`t want to go off on a tangent and hi-Jack your thread, but thought I would mention that I am on my 14th year with a Black MDX. Had an 03 that I recently traded for a 16, that is what got me back into detailing at age 71. Last time I was probably just in my late teens.

I also wanted to add, that if you are a collector of QD`s you might want to give Griot`s new Best of Show Detailer a try, especially since it is not terribly expensive. They say it is formulated with polymer gloss and color enhancers, and it provides paint protection. However, they do not recommend it as a clay lube - for that purpose they still recommend their original Speed Shine QD.

Some day when PA is on sale, I may make a purchase just to give it a try. I sure hope I don`t like it too much��!

Post Thanks / Like

Another must try product I will have to try
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict

Out of 20 QD`s... What are the 3 you didn`t like ??

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few of these products that have me interested.mthe resin nano coat, the 1201, and the plasma coat. Guess it`s time to spend the last of the Christmas Gift Certificates...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    WaxAddict

Out of 20 QD`s... What are the 3 you didn`t like ??
    I`d rather not say.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool review !!!

It looks to me like the
    PA and Poorboys seem deeper/richer...
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Cool review !!!

It looks to me like the
    PA and Poorboys seem deeper/richer...
    That would be spot on. They are also the waxy ones.

Thread Information