Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Windshield Coating

I am in desperate need of a windshield coating for my work truck. I drive 60k-80k miles a year and there have been some very stressful drives due to ice/dirt/etc and it`s time to fix that issue. I just drove up to Aspen and back (500 miles round trip) yesterday and there was an area where I couldn`t see AT ALL - I had to pull off the road and manually clean my windshield. I think you guys get the point, LOL.

I have been pleased with the CarPro products I have used previously, but haven`t seen any reviews on FlyBy30.

I would like something that I only have to apply once a year - but twice a year is manageable as well. Please post your opinions - I would like to spend the least amount for the best product (who doesn`t) but don`t want to spend a bunch of money for little return.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Coating

The only glass coating I`ve used is PBL and I really like it. However, it`s quite pricey.

I`ve used BF Crystal Seal with very good success as well on glass. I`d say the hydrophobic properties are about the same, but CS just isn`t as durable. However, it takes 10 seconds to apply to a windshield whenever you see the abilities diminishing
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to stick with carpro go with forte. It will be more durable. At least that is what I read.

I have used DP glass coating, which is now McKee`s 37 and it is good. Cheap and lasts a few months. Abrasion from wipers will be the deterring factor as I put this on my uncles van and he saw about 6 months. I got a little over a year out of it. Pinnacle Black Label will be about the same as McKee`s.

If you want to step it up opti-glass is better. It can hold up to abrasion better as Dr. G has stated this. Also optimum opti-glass clean & protect will act as a booster to opti-glass using it monthly. It is only recommended to be used on the exterior.

I prefer opti-glass over DP/McKee`s 37.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I have been happy optimum glass coating. It`s better than gtechs
    G1 and G2 for sure. That`s my experience other than permanon platinum. Which is also good but requires more frequent application.

Based on your use I would suggest optimum glsss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    I am in desperate need of a windshield coating for my work truck. I drive 60k-80k miles a year and there have been some very stressful drives due to ice/dirt/etc and it`s time to fix that issue. I just drove up to Aspen and back (500 miles round trip) yesterday and there was an area where I couldn`t see AT ALL - I had to pull off the road and manually clean my windshield. I think you guys get the point, LOL.

I have been pleased with the CarPro products I have used previously, but haven`t seen any reviews on FlyBy30.

I would like something that I only have to apply once a year - but twice a year is manageable as well. Please post your opinions - I would like to spend the least amount for the best product (who doesn`t) but don`t want to spend a bunch of money for little return.

In all honesty, using Rain-x, regularly cleaning the wiper blades, and regularly cleaning the windshield works pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I`ve received more options than I thought! I was under the impression that there was only one or two forum favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

mckees glass coating is cheaper than pbl I think- I like PBL glass coating....TBH, I have used two bottles of Optimum Glass Cleaner and Protectant over the past few years on my SRT`s glass (never polished it)- and that stuff works!- I started noticing some serious protection after about 3 applications (I just use it when I need to clean the glass)

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt - do you use the Opti Glass Cleaner and Protectant only on the external? I have the Glass coating but have not had good luck applying it to my glass (probably user error)
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    mckees glass coating is cheaper than pbl I think- I like PBL glass coating....TBH, I have used two bottles of Optimum Glass Cleaner and Protectant over the past few years on my SRT`s glass (never polished it)- and that stuff works!- I started noticing some serious protection after about 3 applications (I just use it when I need to clean the glass)
    This is good stuff from optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Brandt - do you use the Opti Glass Cleaner and Protectant only on the external? I have the Glass coating but have not had good luck applying it to my glass (probably user error)
    Optimum only recommends it to be used on the external glass. It will fog up on the internal glass. Also the best way to use it is after washing the car with the glass already clean. Works great to maintain any glass coating.

If you are referring to opti-glass coating, it can be a little tricky. The key is to work small areas as it can feel grabby when applying it to the glass.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    agree with Guz there... I only use it on the outside and actually I only use it normally when glass is already clean (after a towel wipe from wash)

on the inside front glass windshield I only use DoDo Glass cleaner
    on the inside of the tinted windows I only use Poorboys Glass cleaner

I`m still using the RTU version although I do have 3 bottles of the concentrate I just haven`t gotten around to finding any De-Ionized water and heard distilled would not work as well

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I have used quite a few so I will list them and if you have more specific questions I will then try and answer based on my experience.

Where: Ohio

What:
    • RainX
    • Pinn Glass Sealant
    • PBL Glass Coating
    • FlyBy30
    • Forte
    • Opti Glass + Clean and protect

The RainX is the base as far as I am concerned. Then the Pinn Glass sealant which is slightly better but surprisingly smells and works similar to RainX.

FlyBy30 didn`t last long for me and after using the wipers a few times it was gone. The 30mph deal is close but I found it needed to be more like 40-45 and big rain. Not light mist. Forte was better and lasted longer.

The PBL glass coating is quick and easy to use. Lasts okay but I found I need to reapply every 3-6 months depending on rain and wiper use to maintain what I expect.

Opti Glass has had the best outcome and durability for me. And when using the Clean and protect once a week or so it maintains well.

The real issue for me seems to be wiper abrasion. That is what really wears away the coating and its affects.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Opti glass. Expensive for a single application. Look at Aquapel for a single application. Pretty comparable to Optiglass. Application can be a little trickier. Nothing drastic, and in normal to cooler temps should be fairly easy.
    Likes The Guz, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Mckees glass coating. I also top off with hydro2 during washes.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Mc kee`s 37 on the Xterra. No issues and really lasts!!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

May have to stop by Brandt`s area to get some tips/pointers on what I am doing wrong. I hear Cabella`s calling my name
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information