Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel brushes for painted black wheels

I`ve never had a designated wheel brush but since the new car has a set of painted black wheels, I`ve been thinking on obtaining one of them wheel woolie brushes people use often.

I typically just use a boar hair detailing brush on them. Would I benefit from a brush like the ww?

Here`s a shot of what I use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel brushes for painted black wheels

I use the long reach of the wheel woolie to get to the barrel of the wheel and behind the caliper, otherwise for the face of the wheel I use the same boar hair brush. I`d say yes if you feel like you aren`t able to get full cleaning coverage on your wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea this won`t hit the back on the wheel that`s for sure. Not long enough

Post Thanks / Like

I like the wheel woolies. They make cleaning the barrels very easy.

I prefer it over the speed brush. I used this on the black wheels I used to have an the paint on those wheels was on the soft side so it did marr the barrels.

The woolies should definitely reach in those wheels.

Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes

I also use this brush on my wheels. I used it when I had black wheels as the Mothers wheel brush would scratch the wheels and I had to polish them out. This brush worked the best and it gets softer as it is soaking in a bucket of suds for a few minutes. I would use a bush like what you have for the lug nuts and where the spokes meet the wheel.

Montana Original Boar`s Hair Wheel Brush

Just my experience with these brushes.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

wheel woolies, the boars hair wheel face brush

and something to seal them with like hydro2 or Wetcoat etc

poorboys spray and rinse wheel cleaner also works very well and if you don`t touch them, they`re really hard to scratch

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

True enough. Only things is products that strong can also cause a damaged finish too.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker. How r u cleaning the car. PW.
    Sealed wheels or not, PW get`s the wheels pretty clean. Just need to do a final wipe/agitate with sponge/towel, just to get the film off....

I hardly ever need to get out the wheel cleaning tools but if so
    Yes, a brush, and either the Wheel Woolies or even the Powersticks *it`s messy, but I find they do clean better than the WW*.

Post Thanks / Like

For our wheels, (FiST), its easy enough to use a chenille microfiber wash pad... I have all the wheel brushes, really.. but I just use a red wash pad that I received in some mystery box thing. its just like those chinelli wash mitts but with no openings, so its like a sponge... I like to use these on "big face" rims. The famous brush for lugnuts, and around the valve, then either the large wheel woolie, OR speedmaster for the barrel.

The pads can get to the back of the spokes easily.

Post Thanks / Like

if you seal the wheels with hydrdo2 or wet coat, etc

and you dilute poorboys spray and wipe 1:1 they will clean the wheels almost perfectly and wont strip the sealant on wheels either

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

IME (and note that these things can change over time..), the WW BHB for wheels is considerably better than the ones from Universal Brush (including the BHB sold as the "Montana" and even their Blonde one) or anybody else`s I`ve tried.

Due credit to...?somebody?..here who first compared the two and prompted me to try the WW one.

The WWs themselves work fine for me, but I still need to follow up with something else to get the barrels 100% clean and to do the back sides of the spokes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup... Wheel Woolies FTW!!!!!
    Although you really only need the large and medium ones. I bought a pack of anti-slip tape strips (like you can stick to steps) and wound a strip tightly in a spiral around the handles of my `woolies` for extra grip. They`ve been on there 3 years and still haven`t peeled off! The boars hair you have is great for those tight places too, always use mine, but Woolies are a must.

Of course I have all the bendable Daytona type brushes, but on painted black they just won`t do.

I`ve had the new Stingrays come in with the painted wheels and ALL of them were already scratched from the dealer washing them. Those darned things are like room temp buttah. For the life of me I can`t understand why a $500 option for "painted wheels" is still there when for just a little more they could be gloss black powder coat. The of course a bit more and you get aluminum, chrome, or combo aluminum and silver paint (which doesn`t scratch like the black).
    Later, Cardaddy / aka Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I use wheel Wookiee to get barrels and the Daytona for the arches a boars hair brush similar to yours for the lugs and space between the rim and the tire. Then a larger bhb for the faces to quickly knock off the bulk of the debris. Once done I take a demoted lambs wool mit or MF pad and run the faces and around the air stem. It`s important to soak all bhb for about 5-10 min before use to make sure they are soft. This prevents them marring a soft finish. That`s the cleaning part.

If I had gloss black rims I would polish and coat them in gloss coat or gyeon rim. I find both to be very protective and that helps keep the painted surfaces from swirling. My wife has an MDX sport with ghost chrome painted and clear coated rims. I have used both of the above products and the cleaning process listed to keep them swirl free.

Lastly I use the hose to rinse the brushes and wheel Woolies often to avoid grinding dirt into the wheels finish. I use Poorboys super slick and suds in my wheel bucket and spray Sonax wheel cleaner plus on the rims if they are dirty. The wheel bucket has 2 grit guards stacked to keep the dirt away from then resting Brush`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Woolies beat the Speed Brush for me every time. The WWs are nice and soft and hold a lot of soapy water making Wheel cleaning easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the blue one from US Plastics, sold to me as a bottle brush ...

It might too large even for that, but might do the trick on a truck!

Post Thanks / Like

I use wheel woolies to get barrels and calipers. I use large and medium (large won’t fit between caliper and wheel). I use Megs ultimate wheel cleaner with BH detailing brush every 3-4 washes. In between I use just car shampoo (optimum) and a MF to wash face and the autofiber wheel mitts (picture)to get between spokes and crevices. I really like these mitts.

Likes cb804 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information