Post Thanks / Like

Iron X Application Questions

When using Iron X - do you spray it on the surface of the car after washing or before?

Is there a need to agitate it w a sponge (or something else) after it`s sprayed?

I guess what I am asking is what is your step by step process when using Iron X on a full blown detail???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron X Application Questions

i always wash the vehicle first, blow dry most of the heavy water off, spray it on and let it sit, rinse and wash afterwards. the instructions say you can agitate it once you apply it, but i just ensure full coverage when i apply it. stuff works great and i am often surprised what comes off a vehicle that looks very clean to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to be machine polishing, I do the aggressive method as shown by Mike Phillips The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car , saves a good amount of time . It is recommended to apply to a dry surface since an unknown amount of dilution will occur if done otherwise, just make sure surface is cool to the touch and don`t let it dry on there. Some people like to spray it after the wash, then gently spread it with a mitt or whatever their wash media is.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    If I am going to be machine polishing, I do the aggressive method as shown by Mike Phillips The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car , saves a good amount of time . It is recommended to apply to a dry surface since an unknown amount of dilution will occur if done otherwise, just make sure surface is cool to the touch and don`t let it dry on there. Some people like to spray it after the wash, then gently spread it with a mitt or whatever their wash media is.
    Great method.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

For my own car, and when I have a full weekend to shine her up, I tend to wash, dry, and iron-x in sections. doing it outdoors, it dries to fast so I would have a water bottle in a fine mister, half spritz when I see it start to really dry up, to slowly dilute and agitate it to keep it wet (distilled water). (carefully rinsing, working from bottom to top so the panels remain dry as I go...)

It takes more time but I feel the results are closer to 100%... I also would clay after if I will polish.

in many other cases, I would also use it like a pre-wash soak when I don`t want to wash the car twice. I have iron x on one hand and wheel cleaner in the other, go in a circle counterclockwise starting with PF wheel, and scrub wheels, and rinse the quadrant (and lightly mist the rest of the car to keep the iron x wet) almost immediately after I make the round, which is like a 2-6 minute dwell time, I don`t move fast, so it works out close to the 5 min dwell..

Post Thanks / Like

I just spray it on my lightly dirty car and let it dwell, then I rinse with my PW, then wash, clay, polish, LSP. If your car is covered with dirt I would wash first and dry. I have tried to use a sponge to spread the fallout remover, but I didn`t see any better results.

Post Thanks / Like

Noting that I use different Ferrous Contamination Removal products...

I *ALWAYS* wash the vehicle first, even if it`s merely a cursory job to get the "big stuff" off so I don`t increase the risk of marring. Even if doing correction anyhow, I`m just not gonna risk additional marring as that might require removing additional clearcoat.

Note that with the ValuGard/FK Decontamination Systems the first step is a kind of Super Shampoo that does that kind of precleaning quite thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

When using it to clean wheels, I always spray it on before washing due to the aforementioned dilution that occurs unless you completely dry the wheel first. Virtually all of the contaminants will be brake dust anyway.

When using it on body panels or glass, I wash the surfaces first to give the iron remover better access to the contaminants.
    Likes TroyScherer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2083939`]When using it to clean wheels, I always spray it on before washing due to the aforementioned dilution that occurs unless you completely dry the wheel first. Virtually all of the contaminants will be brake dust anyway.

When using it on body panels or glass, I wash the surfaces first to give the iron remover better access to the contaminants.
    Agreed. When I apply it to body I do use a clean sponge or MF towel to "agitate" it a little bit to make sure everything is covered.

Thread Information