Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze Miyabi / ISM

Just picked up new car, plan on using Kamikaze Miyabi/ISM.

1. Is 2 coats Miyabi and then 2 coats ISM the max protection possible or overkill (cost not a factor)

2. Besides `more is sometimes better` what are specific advantages of both products combined as opposed to just 2 coats Miyabi?

3. This will be hobbyist garage application after decon/polish. What is wait time between coat of Miyabi, second coat of Miyabi, coat of ISM and 2nd coat of ISM?

Thanks

Yeah, total overkill but I`ve really been wanting to try the Kamikaze stuff. All ears for application tips for those with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kamikaze Miyabi / ISM

Mike Lambert is the man to ask. I`m sure he will chime in as he generally does with all things Kamakazi but if you search his posts you can learn a lot as well as see plenty of examples. He does a great job on his write ups with pics that always make me swear Kamakazi will be my next coating. Love the Overcoat btw. I look forward to seeing your results!

Post Thanks / Like

2 coats of Myabi first, 2 hours between coats. It is only recommended to put 1 coat of ISM on again 2 hours after Myabi. Myabi is more of a candy like shine while ISM is a deep wax like shine. ISM is the harder of the two. Give Myabi a good 10 minutes to flash and ISM 5. Use at least 3 towels for wiping and if you see minor smears , they will go away. Please feel free to contact me if you need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    2 coats of Myabi first, 2 hours between coats. It is only recommended to put 1 coat of ISM on again 2 hours after Myabi. Myabi is more of a candy like shine while ISM is a deep wax like shine. ISM is the harder of the two. Give Myabi a good 10 minutes to flash and ISM 5. Use at least 3 towels for wiping and if you see minor smears , they will go away. Please feel free to contact me if you need to.
    Thanks Mike. Looking for maximum protection as this is going to be wife`s winter car and will be spending most of it`s life parked outside. Nothing fancy, a 2016 Aegean Blue Honda Civic. 4 cars with only a 2 car garage kinda thing. Wheels will be done with Gyeon Rim, Tires w/ Tuf Shine. Anyone got any suggestions for long-term trim/plastic protection? Want to coat as many things as possible considering the life this car is gonna lead. Like most new cars, lotsa black plastic/rubber-ish pieces on this car. Only 1 coat of ISM, eh...good, that`ll save some work!

See Esoteric in Columbus, OH also likes Gyeon Mohs; anyone think that`s a better option? Kinda fascinated with kamikaze though after using Overcoat on our WG Uber coated cars...stuff is fantastic.

Gyeon Q2 Mohs
    Longevity: 24+ Months
    Coats: 2
    Comments: Hard formula, great looks, and strong chemical resistance. Perfect daily driver combination
    The metallic blue on this car is stunning, wanna get the most outta the looks but durability and protection is of the utmost importance. Likely overkill for a 20K econo-box but it`s a new canvas to play with.

civic2.jpg

Thanks again, have done numerous cars with WG Uber Ceramic with no issues, hoping the Kamikaze goes as well as WG did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakaze will look better on that color, Gyeon trim is the best! You`ll get a good 3 years out of it

Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze and Gyeon materials on the way. Should be interesting to see how it holds up thru winter on a car that doesn`t get a whole lot of `proper` attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t worry, the wife`s car sorry to say gets the same thing!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, in with both feet now.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

<---- jealous
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how it turns out! As always feel free to call for help.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, got it mostly done

1. Quick polish with WG Finishing Glaze, not really much to do with new car, paint was in pretty good shape, Just a few light scratches which came out easily. Was clayed/Iron-X`d last week. Still, hadda go over it with something because, well...just because.

2. Wipe it all down with Gyeon Prep using Gyeon BaldWipe towel ( GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16x16 )

3. (2) Coats of Kamikaze Miyabi Coat. In short, this stuff is just *so* easy to use it`s pretty incredible. Wipe on, give it between 10-15 minutes to sit, wipe off with combo of a Gyeon BaldWipe Towel and Gyeon PolishWipe towel ( GYEON PolishWipe Microfiber Towel ). Stuff wipes off so easily almost no pressure is needed; musta hit the timing right as it went on exceptionally smooth and came off exceptionally smooth. Was about 65 degrees and low humidity here in NE Ohio. After 12hrs it`s looking really cool and will continue to improve in appearance as it cures apparently; definitely a glossy, candy-apple type appearance.

4. (1) Coat Kamikaze ISM...oops, life got in the way and I didn`t get to this yesterday. Was too late on a Sunday and knew I would rush it if I tried to do it so put it on hold. Quick e-mail to Esoteric in Columbus confirmed it would be no problem to do the next day; will likely wipe car down with a little Gyeon Prep and then have at it.

The sooner you apply the ISM, the better. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the coatings work, it simply revolves around preventing as little dust/debris from settling on the surface in between layers. If you can ensure that the surface is completely clean, you should be fine.

As far as using Gyeon Prep, you should be fine. It will not hurt the coatings in any way.

A few random thoughts so far:

- I`ve only used WG Uber Ceramic and McKees Paint Coating so my experience is somewhat limited, but the Miyabi went on and came off so well it would be hard to goon it up, given `reasonable` weather conditions. It really is that easy to use. I got (2) layers on an admittedly small car out of the 30ml bottle and still some left over. Just did paint, no wheels or trim. Obviously more costly than the McKees but pretty much right in line with the WG Uber with regards to cost.

- Not sure if it was a real cause/effect but as I was doing the last side of the car I forgot to cap the Miyabi bottle as I moved from panel to panel; bottle was open for maybe 30 minutes before I got back to last panel and it seemed a little less `smooth` in its application, event with new cloth on applicator. Still went on and came off great, just a little something I did notice. Oops...

- The Gyeon towels are now my favorite towels, although a little costly per towel. No lint whatsoever, seemingly durable and more substantial than other edgeless microfibers of the same weight/type.

Looking forward to seeing how the ISM goes tonite; it`ll flash a bit quicker and apparently is a bit thicker on application so we`ll see.

Thanks to Mike Lambert for answering some questions over the weekend and Zack at Esoteric for responding to an e-mail question (on a Sunday night, no less)

Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh, BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This combo looks absolutely amazing, I just couldn`t stomach the cost. Maybe someday.

Post Thanks / Like

A little reflection after the ISM was done. The ISM was quite different than the Miyabi. ISM, like many mentioned, is very thick. Comes off pretty easily as well; the sunshine will tell the true tale tomorrow.

Edited to add a bit of ISM-related detail:

Yep, this stuff is really thick, really pulls at the applicator as it`s going on the paint. It actually does leave a texture when first laid down but this goes away as it cures.

Seemed to come off quite nicely at around 5-6 minutes after application...surprisingly. Given how thick/sticky it goes on I was figuring it was gonna be a beast to remove but it came off with light polish/wipe. Was quite amazed.

Remember the Gyeon BaldWipe towels I liked so much during the Miyabi application? Well, still like `em during the ISM application but due to their somewhat `bald` texture, had to keep the towel in constant movement during initial removal (per Kamikaze instructions, use 1 towel to remove majority of coating and another to polish/buff) otherwise their `bald texture will leave an imprint of texture if towel stops on coated surface for even a second. Once I figured that out it was simple to remedy by moving towel far beyond panel border before coming back the other direction; just had to make sure the towel didn`t `park` at the end of a stroke on a just coated panel.

As a result of being so thick, I actually found this coating more enjoyable to apply as it was obvious where the coating lay, meaning much easier to identify missed spots.

Will be able to tell later today if any high spots when I get a chance to pull the car out it the sun. Fingers crossed but I`d assume I missed/overapplied somewhere, likely front bumper or trunk area where lotsa nooks/crannies.

The 30ml bottle was still a bit more than half-full after completing the car/door jams and a few pieces of trim here and there. Unfortunately, the little eyedropper was a bit damaged in the box somewhere, would not pick up coating out of bottle. No big deal, used a dropper (unused) from Gyeon Rim pak and that worked great.

Overall, both the Miyabi and the ISM are pretty easy to apply and remove, looks great...now to see how well it protects and how long it lasts on a car that certainly won`t be receiving an abundance of `detail-centric` attention going forward.

I`ll top it with Overcoat sometime in the next few weeks and am currently doing my best not to buy and try Kamikaze Infinity Wax...but I fear resistance may be feeble as it usually is with this car-care stuff.

Although it appears that the cost is somewhat high for Kamikaze products, it`s really not too out of line with some of the other choices out there. 2 coats of Miyabi for $99 is actually cheaper than a similar application of WG Uber Ceramic (15cc @ around $129). The ISM is a bit more $$ but at around $75 for a single application (multiple coats not recommended) it`s not too out there.

If this stuff lasts the supposed 24-36 months w/ occasional topping with Overcoat (and any who have used that stuff know how cool/exceptional *that* product is) it`s not a bad deal for around $250, especially considering you`ll have 1 car`s worth of ISM left over.

Must not succumb to desire to buy Infinity...must not succumb to desire to buy Infinity...I`ll let ya know how that struggle goes.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 10-04-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added some detail re: ISM
    Likes Ronkh, 512detail, emmjay, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doh!!! Looks like I`ll be re-doing a fender! That`s ok...it`s a small fender. So close...was the last panel I did. Also gotta polish the back window...Musta tossed a towel on it...left a nice ISM imprint of a bit of the Gyeon BaldWipe towel.

Amazing how ya can`t see this kinda stuff until it`s out in the sun. Didn`t really see it at first in the sun but now it`s so obvious (and bad) it`s like a blind guy did the last fender.

Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Doh!!! Looks like I`ll be re-doing a fender! That`s ok...it`s a small fender. So close...was the last panel I did. Also gotta polish the back window...Musta tossed a towel on it...left a nice ISM imprint of a bit of the Gyeon BaldWipe towel.

Amazing how ya can`t see this kinda stuff until it`s out in the sun. Didn`t really see it at first in the sun but now it`s so obvious (and bad) it`s like a blind guy did the last fender.

If I`m gonna screw up, that`ll be where I do it. Towards the end when I`m almost done and getting tired.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information