Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I buy more Optimum Gloss Coat or try something else?

I have coated 4 cars now with Gloss Coat including 2 of my own and so far I consider this one of if not the greatest product I have ever bought in terms of detailing supplies. But like most of you I am always interested in trying different things. The Gloss Coat is super easy to apply, sheds dirt and water great etc. The longest I have had it on anything is just over 8 months so I can`t really speak to long term durability but after that term it still looks and behaves like it did the week I put it on.

My wife`s Audi is being bought back as part of the VW/Diesel scandal so I have a new Subaru Outback coming for her in about 4-5 weeks. I am out of Gloss Coat and need to buy some new coating for her car and was thinking about something else. I see the Wolfgang can be applied on paint as well as headlights, glass etc which is pretty cool.

Are there any others that I should consider before I reorder? I don`t really know what features or benefits to look for since I have only used this one sealer/coating (Gloss Coat). Even if there is something that is slightly more difficult than Optimum and is better or longer lasting etc that would be ok. I just don`t want some miserable hard to use or problematic coating to use on her new car.

Any suggestions anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I buy more Optimum Gloss Coat or try something else?

Like Mike Phillips says find something you like and use it often.

If gloss coat is working out for you then keep on using it. It`s a great product. By the way it can be applied to headlights, trim, wheels and glass. Except the front windshield due to the abrasion of the wipers removing it. Thus optimum recommends opti-glass coating on the front glass.

If you wish to try something new you have plenty of options. Gyeon, GTechniq CSL, Wolfgang are just a few that have gained traction.

I know it`s no help lol.

If you stick with gloss coat I would recommend picking up opti-seal. Applying 2 coats of gloss coat (1 hour apart) followed by a coat of opti seal (1 hour after the last coat of GC) really brings out the gloss. It protects gloss coat from marring and chemical etching as it cures within a week of application. Using opti seal as a drying aid with ONR really makes things easy and maintains gloss coat rather well.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Stokdgs, JustJesus, mikejames thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Mike above, on the idea of sticking with something that works really well for you..

The challenge with trying new products is that they don`t have all the years in the Field that Optimum had even before they brought out their first version over 10 years ago..

I know a lot of people here use Cquartz coating but I don`t see anyone talking about how well it works long term..
    Perhaps someone who has had it on longer than 2 years can chime in here ??
    And for awhile, it seemed like every new product Cquartz came out with had issues and made a lot of people crazy until it was all sorted out..

Optimum has a full line of products and I don`t see any issues with any of them over the past decade to worry about... And for sure, none of them blew up when they were introduced, causing a lot of grief to the new users...

There is a lot of talk about the Gyeon line of coatings which are supposed to be really great but again, really new and I don`t read anyone saying its been great past 2 years, etc... Perhaps someone can chime in on its longevity?

And a lot of these new coatings use different technology that leaves glass fibers everywhere and you have to throw away your towels you used with it, so is that going to be a problem ?

I have also heard of Modesta coatings that are supposed to be really good, but then again, too new perhaps to have a long-term track record...

Sometimes the easiest solution can be the hardest one to figure out... Does that make sense??
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I know a lot of people here use Cquartz coating but I don`t see anyone talking about how well it works long term..
    And for awhile, it seemed like every new product Cquartz came out with had issues and made a lot of people crazy until it was all sorted out..
    I regularly detail cars I Cquartz`d well over 2 years ago and they are still going strong. I use a lot of Cquartz UK because I have nailed the application down pat and it lasts so darn long it still amazes me....plus it`s priced right. I actually put Gloss-Coat over Cquartz last week just for fun and to see what would happen...
    auto detailing arroyo grande
    Likes Stokdgs, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, JustJesus thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    I regularly detail cars I Cquartz`d well over 2 years ago and they are still going strong. I use a lot of Cquartz UK because I have nailed the application down pat and it lasts so darn long it still amazes me....plus it`s priced right. I actually put Gloss-Coat over Cquartz last week just for fun and to see what would happen...
    Perfect Feedback !
    Thanks, Fast Eddie !
    Dan F
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

If you stick with gloss coat I would recommend picking up opti-seal. Applying 2 coats of gloss coat (1 hour apart) followed by a coat of opti seal (1 hour after the last coat of GC) really brings out the gloss. It protects gloss coat from marring and chemical etching as it cures within a week of application. Using opti seal as a drying aid with ONR really makes things easy and maintains gloss coat rather well.

I do have opti seal, ONR, Opti Wax, paint prep, Ferrex, as well as the Optimum glass coating. I find the glass coating the hardest to remove due to the grabby nature of it while buffing it off. So I often end up using only opt seal on most glass. I have not tried the gloss coat in headlights etc but I will try that now as well. I thought I had read that it is for paint, painted trim bumpers, trim etc.
    I will give the two coats of gloss coat with opti seal on top . That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for all the other tips here as well. If anyone else has input before I place an order Id like to hear that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re phrasing what Guz said.......

Why get rid of a winner?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Can you tell me more about your application tips and applicatior etc that you use. I a, always interested in other experiences on how to make the process as perfect as possible

Post Thanks / Like

And a lot of these new coatings use different technology that leaves glass fibers everywhere and you have to throw away your towels you used with it, so is that going to be a problem ?
    Great point Dan but personally I don`t see an issue with tossing the applicator(s) and a couple towels per coating job. If a detailer is applying a coating to a vehicle for money, they should build in the added cost in the same way body shops do. Short nap microfiber towels can be purchased for so little now which keeps costs down for the detailer and client. This is just my opinion of course!
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of the Wolfgang coating and have it on everything on my exterior of my 09 Audi. It is even on my black trim of which my car has very little of. About the only things not coated with Uber are my exhaust tips and tires and will probably do my tips when I do my brothers Escalade with what is left over. I really like the looks after it was coated and the ease of use makes it pretty much fool proof.

Ron had a post about rear shots of cars and when I looked through my photos I found one that pretty much showed the gloss of Uber. It really helps the cleanup of the wheels which with the brakes on this car is quite heavy with brakes dust. In this picture the car hadn`t been washed in a while but I did the wheels and tires.

Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    I am a big fan of the Wolfgang coating and have it on everything on my exterior of my 09 Audi. It is even on my black trim ... the ease of use makes it pretty much fool proof...
    Thanks for posting that, especially about how it`s OK on your trim and that it`s fool proof..which I hope would also mean "Accumulator-proof" I`ve never had a problem coating wheels with OptiCoat (v1.0 and v2.0), but I`ve always been leery of the whole thing anyhow...worried about displeasing discoveries at a later date.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Mike above, on the idea of sticking with something that works really well for you..

The challenge with trying new products is that they don`t have all the years in the Field that Optimum had even before they brought out their first version over 10 years ago..

Optimum has a full line of products and I don`t see any issues with any of them over the past decade to worry about... And for sure, none of them blew up when they were introduced, causing a lot of grief to the new users...

There is a lot of talk about the Gyeon line of coatings which are supposed to be really great but again, really new and I don`t read anyone saying its been great past 2 years, etc... Perhaps someone can chime in on its longevity?

I have also heard of Modesta coatings that are supposed to be really good, but then again, too new perhaps to have a long-term track record...

Sometimes the easiest solution can be the hardest one to figure out... Does that make sense??
    Dan F
    Dan I will chime in in about 3 years on my CSL and EXO experiments, lol

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, JSFM35X liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a good product and it`s better at defending against marring than most and perhaps a little lighter on beading. But it does protect well. If those attributes are good with you. I`d stick with it. If not you should experiment with another coating. They all go on similarly.
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used opticoat on trim when there were no dedicated trim products When I moved to gloss coat there was barely enough material to do the paint and as a result I did the trim with gtech c4 and the wheels with some left over Exo.

I can tell you Gyeon trim is excellent and Gyeon rim is s there afte 5-6 months and it should be so durability testing is just at the beginning. The winter will be the first milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Thanks for posting that, especially about how it`s OK on your trim and that it`s fool proof..which I hope would also mean "Accumulator-proof" I`ve never had a problem coating wheels with OptiCoat (v1.0 and v2.0), but I`ve always been leery of the whole thing anyhow...worried about displeasing discoveries at a later date.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- Ah, OK, thanks for the additional info. I look forward to any updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information