• HD Dress

2 40.00%
  • 3D Ultra Protectant Tire Gloss Dressing

1 20.00%
  • Chemical Guys New Car Shine Premium Dressing

2 40.00%
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressing Suggestions

So, I thought I had found a new tire dressing to use when I tried out my free bottle of Lexol Tire Shine on my brother`s truck (Lexol Auto Care Premium Tire Shine Review). Sadly, it doesn`t seem like it`s going to work for my beat up daily driven Escape tires. It just doesn`t last on these tires. Since it isn`t lasting very long and it`s not something I can run down to the local store and pick up, I`m looking to try out a new product or two.

I`m not looking for anything boutique or expensive. Actually, I`m looking for quite the opposite. Something that I can use on my daily driven or (in the case of my truck) pretty well worked and possibly when I do family vehicles for free. I`ve had a few want me to suggest products but they want something easy and cheap to acquire. (I.E. OTC/Amazon)

I do have some older Black Magic I found laying around somewhere and a sample bottle of Pinnacle Black Onyx that I still need to try but the Black Onyx is not a complete solution. I also have the Turtle Wax Endura-Shine but that`s also not what I`m looking for. Also, not looking for a ridiculous shine but I may settle with one.

So, I`ve been looking and I have a few that I`ve been looking at and I`d like any suggestions/input to help me decide. Too many options, way too many.

If you have another suggestion, please post it. I forgot the other option on the poll and can`t figure out how (or if I can) edit the poll to add it.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing Suggestions

Of the ones you listed, id go with the 3D ultra thick. If not on the list, id go CG VRPor optibond. Go with gallons too, but choose wisely, cause theyll last a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried the 3D. 10/10. Really great dressing for the price.

3d ultra protectant tire dressing

BUT...NOTHING i have used beats blackfire!

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Just tried the 3D. 10/10. Really great dressing for the price.

3d ultra protectant tire dressing
    I agree 100%. For the money it`s a great dressing. Decent durability at a great price.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Lately when I hear about products that just don`t last, I wonder about the prep and the ability of the product to adhere or bond to the intended surface. This is especially true for LSP....but maybe even more so for tires. I know that even when I use a good cleaner, scrub and pressure wash, I can still get crud off on a towel when I apply a dressing. So I think a key factor needs to be getting the tires really clean....which is no small chore.

All that said and not on your list, I`m just now trying Duragloss all wheel cleaner and tire and mat dressing. I haven`t used it long enough to determine durability AND (as I wrote) I saw some `black` come off after I sprayed and wiped lightly with a towel (so I need to do a better job of cleaning!)

Post Thanks / Like

PB bold n brite
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes GearHead_1, ShawnF350, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 253. I keep experimenting with different products but have not found anything that I like better. It is water based, leaves a great dark semi matte type finish and holds up pretty well even in limited rainfall.
    Likes Dogfather liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    PB bold n brite
    Yeah, don`t mean to mess up the poll but same here. Also had reasonable success with BlackFire`s Gel.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Duragloss 253. I keep experimenting with different products but have not found anything that I like better. It is water based, leaves a great dark semi matte type finish and holds up pretty well even in limited rainfall.

That`s exactly how I feel except I haven`t been experimenting with other products. It gives me the looks I prefer and lasts long enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the TW tire coating off the table? It will outlast the tire dressings you listed.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

RDKC - my new good friend -

After years of testing in the Shop, for longevity, looks, and no greasy, looks, feel, etc., still on there after thousands of miles on my own test vehicle, always gets the question - "did you just get new tires?",
    and all the hours heck, days, weeks, months, not spent cleaning and reapplying, and getting black stuff everywhere, this product - TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit
    still is the best I have in the Cabinet..

Yeah, I have others that work great - temporarily..

Once you clean your tires with their cleaner a couple of times or more depending on how much mucky stuff has been on them, this stuff just applies with an incredibly designed sponge, let it dry, add another coat or more if you want, let it dry, and forget about doing anything there for a long time, unless you really want to..

It coats the tires like a clear coat, it makes them much smoother, easier to wash, but it is not shiny unless you put on multiple coats, I assume...

Driven thousands of miles ( 21k miles) between WA to California to Texas and back many, many, times in the last 5 years, and this stuff is the only product that has lasted through all kinds of weather, rain, snow, hail, dust, extreme heat, extreme cold, and it has never altered the rubber compound, or hurt the tires finish in any way...

I think its the best kept secret in the world, and if you dont want to try it, thats ok too, because that means there is more for me....
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had Turtle Wax going over a month. Really like it for an OTC.

Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura-Shine Tire Coat Kit - Mini Review - Take 2
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I am not trying to sound unappreciative for everyone`s input but, I knew this would happen. I think this is a frivolous search. I will look into the PB product though.

I think I may try 3D for a short-term dressing. I have thought about the TW for my Escape but I haven`t felt like it and discovering another oil leak last night just makes me want to sell it sooner than planned. Most of the people that ask me aren`t looking for anything "expensive" and they tend to get turned off with the TW because it`s messy. I don`t really like recommending a product to someone if I haven`t tried it myself.

I will probably use the TW on cars like my mom`s since her version of cleaning is.... oh, that`s right, she doesn`t. It`s been on the wife`s Suburban for a month or two now and (according to her) is still going strong.

I actually saw a thread here before where people were discussing HD Dress vs. 3D but I can`t seem to find it anymore.

Stokdgs, I`ve been wanting Tuff Shine for a while and whenever I get a new (to me) car or I get back to the wife`s Suburban I`ve been planning on Tuff Shine or possibly DP coating.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ..After years of testing in the Shop, for longevity, looks, and no greasy, looks, feel, etc., still on there after thousands of miles on my own test vehicle,..[and and and]... this product - TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit
    still is the best I have in the Cabinet..
    Appreciate your mentioning that. No, I won`t be buying any more/new tire stuff for a good long time, but your unconditional recommendation for the Tuf Shine got my attention.
    Likes Stokdgs, JeremyHale liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Army Recon Combat Medic JeremyHale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Uncut or even CapPro PERL diluted 1:1 with H20, I cut it way down for the interior, but on tires I just gauge how shiny or non shiny I would like them to be. My 2nd choices are from CG, the G6 or VRP mixed 50/50 with H20, I believe the G6 is the glossier of the two. All CG products I mentioned are water based and when left to dry, produce no sling. I usually do 2 coats. If there is a build up on the tires, I clean them with the Tuff Shine cleaner before applying. I guess there are many good choices, just gotta go with what you think looks best. As they say, "Find the stuff you like, and use it often."
    Happy Detailing!
    Jeremy Hale, 40
    Columbia, SC
    Wounded Warrior, US Army Retired
    2014 BMW 328i xDrive
    AFE Cold Air Intake, Catless Turbo Down Pipe
    DINAN Tuned, M Performance Exhaust
    Melbourne Red
    Hobbyist, Detailer, Enthusiast & forever a student of ABT (Auto Beautification Technology)

Thread Information