Post Thanks / Like

Which Glaze for Lacquer Paint

I have a 61 Impala to detail which has Lacquer Paint on it. Would Poor Boys Black Hole work well as a glaze with this paint or should I purchase something like Meguiars # 7 ? The owner just wants a general clean up and would appreciate something to give it a little more "bling" for the next car show that he is taking it to. I do plan on topping the glaze with a wax.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Glaze for Lacquer Paint

Never used P/B product but have used lots of Meguiars Nbr7 Show Car Glaze on acrylic lacquer and acrylic enamels as far back as 30 years ago..
    This product really works great for a Glaze and is always seen at car shows as they get their baby`s ready..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I too would use one of the old Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze "Pure Polishes", OR....maybe their M09 Swirlmark Remover v2.0, which is *FAR* more of a glaze than a SMR (abrasives basically have zero cut unless the buffing media are really aggressive) and AFAIK the TSO in it are the same stuff as in M07. That`s unless my memory if failing me (old conversation with Mike P.) or they`ve changed the formula.

I`d consider using the M09 and then a Pure Polish; I doubt the latter would remove the fillers as long as you work it somewhat gently.

Note that out of all the Pure Polishes, M07 is the least user-friendly, and some of the others can look *almost* as good. I always liked the M05 New Car Glaze, but I gather they discontinued it

Post Thanks / Like

I stock and use both PBBH and Meg`s #7 on the aged lacquer of my El Camino. Using BH is an easier, faster and more forgiving process, but #7 looks wetter IMO, if you don`t mind the extra effort. I`ll often use BH, followed by a wax for a mid-season freshen-up, since it has a bit of cleaning properties. #7 won`t last thru a single washing, but some guys like to apply it the day before a show for the extra pop. Personally, for the one judged show I enter each year, I use #7 as my second last step, then wipe on an easy to apply "beauty" wax, such as Souveran, Dodo Juice, Fuzion, or even Meg`s #26 on the night before a show for maximum pop the next day with a bit of longevity.

It works for me to impress the judges on my otherwise old, tired lacquer.
    Bill
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also have PBBH and love it like crazy, but went M07 on a `67 VW with 6-7 year old single stage paint that was very dry, cracking, oxidized, etc. While I didn`t chase down swirls and scratches (the paint was cracking in some edges) the end result was a shiny Beetle and a happy owner

Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, as long as there is single stage paint, people will be happily using M07!

it *is* especially nice on ss paint that`s really compromised, no question about that.

Thread Information