Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All in one product eating my polishing pads

Bill D- Huh, wouldn`t have expected that (gee, guess you didn`t either!). My previous shop got so hot the overhead door motor would cut out yet my pads never had problems...maybe today`s more modern pads are more sensitive.

Post Thanks / Like

They`re all Lake Country pads and they sat in my storage bin. When I went to use them I noticed they delaminated and then when I put them on the polisher, they started to delaminate. I still haven`t replaced them since the choice of pads today is a lot wider and I seldom find the need to have to use the polishers
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong but I always thought if you were gonna use a DA polisher for an LSP (even an AIO) you should use a slow setting of like 2. The power of the AIO is in the chemical cleaning, not how vigorously it`s applied. So maybe if you slow it down Speed Racer, it will make a difference? Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    I could be wrong but I always thought if you were gonna use a DA polisher for an LSP (even an AIO) you should use a slow setting of like 2. The power of the AIO is in the chemical cleaning, not how vigorously it`s applied. So maybe if you slow it down Speed Racer, it will make a difference? Good luck.
    Even with presumably non-abrasive products, I use higher speeds than that. I generally don`t turn it down below 3.5 and only go that low if the product isn`t happy at a higher speed. Maybe goes back to all my experience with the Cyclo (which is single speed). Part if it is that I just don`t like how the PC-type polishers feel at really low speeds, and anyhow...I want all those orbits-per-minute working for me

For ZAIO and KAIO I generally use speed 4.5, and I have KAIO-dedicated pads that`re over a decade old with many, many uses behind them (and plenty more still to come). IIRC my primarly KAIO pads are from the mid `90s. For LSPs I generally use around 4, and that was a good speed for doing M16 when "making it turn liquid", a case where you *do* want to rev things up. Some of those are *old* but still working fine.

Eh, maybe I`m just lucky, but I`ve hardly *ever* had pads fail other than when they snag/tear or simply wear out (primarily a case of cutting/polishing pads that get too gentle).

Post Thanks / Like

Uhm how fast would you go if you were doing it by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Even with presumably non-abrasive products, I use higher speeds than that. I generally don`t turn it down below 3.5 and only go that low if the product isn`t happy at a higher speed. Maybe goes back to all my experience with the Cyclo (which is single speed). Part if it is that I just don`t like how the PC-type polishers feel at really low speeds, and anyhow...I want all those orbits-per-minute working for me

For ZAIO and KAIO I generally use speed 4.5, and I have KAIO-dedicated pads that`re over a decade old with many, many uses behind them (and plenty more still to come). IIRC my primarly KAIO pads are from the mid `90s. For LSPs I generally use around 4, and that was a good speed for doing M16 when "making it turn liquid", a case where you *do* want to rev things up. Some of those are *old* but still working fine.

Eh, maybe I`m just lucky, but I`ve hardly *ever* had pads fail other than when they snag/tear or simply wear out (primarily a case of cutting/polishing pads that get too gentle).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    Uhm how fast would you go if you were doing it by hand?
    As fast as possible so I get the [darn] job over with Hard to keep up with the polishers though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information