Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Durability - Are U Getting What MFG`s Are Promising?

Chad, you know well that OC never claimed to prevent water spots. OC IS a clear coat - in fact if lets say the sprinkler gets on an OCed finish, the damage is worse due to the hydrophobic qualities of OC. Optimum`s only requirement is to wash the car every other week. As far as OCP+? Did you not voice your own finding many times about your black test panel where even untrained eyes (your customers) were able to see the difference between cq finest/22ple and OCP? OCP being the worst look wise, and how the other 2 coatings looked glossier and darker? Well according to dr G, you can`t have both in product. Either "permanent" protection or more gloss but limited durability. OCP+ addresses that.

Post Thanks / Like

You you are exactly correct, most so called coatings do just that. But not all like OC for example. The key is application. Yes it takes a little more work to prep and apply but I feel that the return is well worth it. Just think of bird poop. Wax/Sealant vs coatings. Which do you think will protect the paint better from etching?

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    My opinion is any LSP (including coatings) starts degrading after day 1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    Chad, you know well that OC never claimed to prevent water spots. OC IS a clear coat - in fact if lets say the sprinkler gets on an OCed finish, the damage is worse due to the hydrophobic qualities of OC. Optimum`s only requirement is to wash the car every other week. As far as OCP+? Did you not voice your own finding many times about your black test panel where even untrained eyes (your customers) were able to see the difference between cq finest/22ple and OCP? OCP being the worst look wise, and how the other 2 coatings looked glossier and darker? Well according to dr G, you can`t have both in product. Either "permanent" protection or more gloss but limited durability. OCP+ addresses that.
    Yes, I`m well aware that OCP doesn`t stop water spots. Not sure what your post has to do with mine...I was simply asking David because I recall him saying it had water spots on it and his post above said it was like day one.

I`m actually really glad Opt came out with OCP+ and if things hadn`t gone the way they did I`d probably be applying it like crazy. I never felt OCP looked bad, but side by side other coatings do have a much darker look compared to OCP, which I preferred. The added slickness of OCP+ is welcome too. According to Yvan the OCP+ was developed to help with spotting in other countries, no?

Post Thanks / Like

I will only mention Opti Coat as that is what I use. Did try cq finest and Autogeek`s DP coating on 1 client`s car.

Durability is 100% installer dependent. It is not the product. Meaning, that if the product is applied under too cold temperatures for examples, durability will suffer. If the coating is applied too thin, you will have the same issue. If you wipe the high spots off too soon, you will remove too much product and durability will not live up to manufacturor`s claim. So we are the one to blame not the product really. Also don`t forget the prep. What polishes did you use prior to apying the coating? Are you 100 sure that the oils are gone?

As as far as having to clay or decontaminate the finish after a year? That is actually recommended if the car was neglected in some way. Btw, claying the pant doesn`t remove the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    I`m not. Are you?

Tried 3 so far. Do not want to name them just yet (probably won`t). But, both my cars are split between 1/2 GQ 1/2 DD. Other customer`s car is a DD. All coating mfg`s say 1 year easily. 2-3 years likely. I`m getting 1 year tops. Seems like I need to clay to rid the grittiness off of the paint at the 1 year mark. This equates to removing some coating and then re-applying. Or, is living in NE the fault (pollen then heat then acid rain then cold then ice then salt then lots of snow then below 0 temps)?

Beading, slickness 6-9 months at best before degradation sets in. Saw this also while using most sealants but sealants were advertising durability good for 1-year max.

Not blaming or pointing at anyone but that`s my experience. Should I try a 4th coating. What do you see?

Comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

And also the added gloss that comes from +

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Yes, I`m well aware that OCP doesn`t stop water spots. Not sure what your post has to do with mine...I was simply asking David because I recall him saying it had water spots on it and his post above said it was like day one.

I`m actually really glad Opt came out with OCP+ and if things hadn`t gone the way they did I`d probably be applying it like crazy. I never felt OCP looked bad, but side by side other coatings do have a much darker look compared to OCP, which I preferred. The added slickness of OCP+ is welcome too. According to Yvan the OCP+ was developed to help with spotting in other countries, no?

Post Thanks / Like

PS: in case you didn`t know this, the oldest Opti Coated car that an installer maintains is 8 years old. Not babied, gets a yearly decon and is going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    I`m not. Are you?

Tried 3 so far. Do not want to name them just yet (probably won`t). But, both my cars are split between 1/2 GQ 1/2 DD. Other customer`s car is a DD. All coating mfg`s say 1 year easily. 2-3 years likely. I`m getting 1 year tops. Seems like I need to clay to rid the grittiness off of the paint at the 1 year mark. This equates to removing some coating and then re-applying. Or, is living in NE the fault (pollen then heat then acid rain then cold then ice then salt then lots of snow then below 0 temps)?

Beading, slickness 6-9 months at best before degradation sets in. Saw this also while using most sealants but sealants were advertising durability good for 1-year max.

Not blaming or pointing at anyone but that`s my experience. Should I try a 4th coating. What do you see?

Comments welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about the installer have as much if not 99% to do with final outcome. Durability and look.

I know you install Pro opticoat but would you know if the GC install is the same flash time? I am always afraid of leaving high spot. How to YOU decide when its time to wipe off the panel? I don`t want ot go too early and compromise long term durability, and I don`t want to heave high spots?

Cant be strictly by the clock because of temperature and humidity that effect flash time.

Thanks, I am talking Gloss Coat if you know.

I have a tube in route.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    I will only mention Opti Coat as that is what I use. Did try cq finest and Autogeek`s DP coating on 1 client`s car.

Durability is 100% installer dependent. It is not the product. Meaning, that if the product is applied under too cold temperatures for examples, durability will suffer. If the coating is applied too thin, you will have the same issue. If you wipe the high spots off too soon, you will remove too much product and durability will not live up to manufacturor`s claim. So we are the one to blame not the product really. Also don`t forget the prep. What polishes did you use prior to apying the coating? Are you 100 sure that the oils are gone?

As as far as having to clay or decontaminate the finish after a year? That is actually recommended if the car was neglected in some way. Btw, claying the pant doesn`t remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

If its all about the prep...then its all about the installer. I honestly think coatings for professionals installed by professionals is the only way to go if considering a coating. Just my view. The retail coatings for weekend Joe are more marketing gimmicks imo. Most never last longer than a good sealant because of the installer cutting corners, or lack of time and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    What about all the water spots it had on it? I thought I recall you saying it was nailed by the lawn sprinklers?

On that note, what the heck happened to your durability thread? It`s been sliced and diced and/or seems all messed up from the migration.
    Yes, the coated side did get water spotted, but I removed them with Optimum Water Spot Remover not affecting the coating`s performance what so ever. And most importantly, the coating protected the clear coat from this damage making it a true sacrificial layer.

I initially posted my Durability Test Thread on Autopia & Detail City, but only kept up with updates on Autopia. I think the DC thread fell victim to some issues with the merger(s)

Here`s the master thread which I think I`ll bump shortly:
    GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree based on my experience.

I have gotten 18-24 months out of EXO and Opticoat 2.0. Never got that with any other sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    If its all about the prep...then its all about the installer. I honestly think coatings for professionals installed by professionals is the only way to go if considering a coating. Just my view. The retail coatings for weekend Joe are more marketing gimmicks imo. Most never last longer than a good sealant because of the installer cutting corners, or lack of time and experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information