Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Is 22PLE just rebranded GTechniq?

Well, I think I got duped. I bought a 50ml bottle of 22PLE VX Pro and it smells EXACTLY the same as GTechniq C1. It applies the same, looks the same, removes the same, smells the same... Someone please tell me that the 22PLE product isn`t just C1 that has been marked up 100%.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is 22PLE just rebranded GTechniq?

Doubtful.. Just a similarly silica based coating which makes it similar smelling. I think 22PLE`s claim to fame is a much higher silica content but their MSDS eludes me. Plus the Cooperider markup is included with 22.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t find the application of these two to be the same at all. The version of C1 I used was a PITA to level off and 22ple is pretty much bubba proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd does not sell that any longer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I didn`t find the application of these two to be the same at all. The version of C1 I used was a PITA to level off and 22ple is pretty much bubba proof.
    Interesting. I always felt that GTechniq C1 was friendliest of the coatings. I still can`t get CQuartz quite right. It`s a shame since the price is good and the protection is awesome. Really love it on dark colors but boy does it streak sometimes! The 22PLE was very easy to use and I found that I can cover large areas if I start the timer when I start applying the coating vs. when I`m done with the panel. It seems to like being removed while still quite wet and on my car it favors the old school Zaino blonde towels for removal. I have a bunch left so I think a second coating this weekend wouldn`t hurt.

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Todd does not sell that any longer
    Ah my mistake then.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the coating technology is coming out of Japan, Singapore/Malaysia and Korea. Quite a number of the coating brands aren`t the people actually doing the development chemistry or manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo. I`m starting to think that a lot of this stuff is crap since 22PLE hasn`t had a working website in a year. In fact, I`m now convinced that 22PLE is just GTechniq because in addition to smelling the same and applying the same, it screwed me the same. Allow me to elaborate:

About a year ago, I wanted to try GTechniq C1 so I prepped my wife`s black MB E550 and coated it according to GTechniq`s instructions. A few days later it rained and all of the painted plastic pieces on the car (bumpers, sunroof trim, rear spoiler, etc.) were horribly spotted the next day and required a re polish to remove the scum and spotting. All of the painted metal was fine. Last Tuesday I coated my black 991 Turbo and let it cure for 3 days before driving it. This weekend it rained and sure enough, the rear bumper, spoiler and engine decklid of my 911 are spotted all to hell. The painted metal is all just fine... Now I`m pretty upset because I have some nice shiny paint that can`t even handle a very mild rainstorm and has to be re polished. That is a problem for $150 per bottle. I got excellent protection with CQuartz UK but I can`t stand applying the stuff (I digress).

Since I know the questions will be asked, I did a Dawn wash and two wipedowns with 50/50 IPA and deionized water before applying the 22PLE. I allowed the product to cure for 5 minutes from the start of application in a 65F garage and it buffed off easily after flashing pretty normally. I was applying quickly to a panel no bigger than a car door or half of the hood. Did I do something wrong? I just can`t believe that people like Rasky would endorse a product that doesn`t even protect against a mild drizzle. That`s not a slight on Rasky but more of evidence that I must have boogered something up. If 22PLE works great on cars during Minnesota winters then surely it can handle a New Mexico spring shower?!

HELP!!

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing of 22ple or GTECH C1 personally.

I have used the GTECH EXO and I am a big fan. I have used the V1 ND V2 and both are great.

I have also used OC 2.0

Never has the issues you describe with either and it has lasted longer than I expected.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pmnewton View Post
    Bingo. I`m starting to think that a lot of this stuff is crap since 22PLE hasn`t had a working website in a year. In fact, I`m now convinced that 22PLE is just GTechniq because in addition to smelling the same and applying the same, it screwed me the same. Allow me to elaborate:

About a year ago, I wanted to try GTechniq C1 so I prepped my wife`s black MB E550 and coated it according to GTechniq`s instructions. A few days later it rained and all of the painted plastic pieces on the car (bumpers, sunroof trim, rear spoiler, etc.) were horribly spotted the next day and required a re polish to remove the scum and spotting. All of the painted metal was fine. Last Tuesday I coated my black 991 Turbo and let it cure for 3 days before driving it. This weekend it rained and sure enough, the rear bumper, spoiler and engine decklid of my 911 are spotted all to hell. The painted metal is all just fine... Now I`m pretty upset because I have some nice shiny paint that can`t even handle a very mild rainstorm and has to be re polished. That is a problem for $150 per bottle. I got excellent protection with CQuartz UK but I can`t stand applying the stuff (I digress).

Since I know the questions will be asked, I did a Dawn wash and two wipedowns with 50/50 IPA and deionized water before applying the 22PLE. I allowed the product to cure for 5 minutes from the start of application in a 65F garage and it buffed off easily after flashing pretty normally. I was applying quickly to a panel no bigger than a car door or half of the hood. Did I do something wrong? I just can`t believe that people like Rasky would endorse a product that doesn`t even protect against a mild drizzle. That`s not a slight on Rasky but more of evidence that I must have boogered something up. If 22PLE works great on cars during Minnesota winters then surely it can handle a New Mexico spring shower?!

HELP!!

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

@Patrick (pmnewton), do allow me to assure and clarify to you that 22PLE is neither the same products, nor they work exactly the same or behaved the same as any of the gTechniq coatings.

While we will not want to talk about the trait or performance of a competitor`s products here, but to conclude that 22PLE is a rebranded gTechniq product couldn`t be more ill-informed. Of course we couldn`t stop you from forming your own opinion or conclusion, but we felt it is a crying shame that our products are being likened or associated with gTechniq.

We are proud of the amount of time and financial resources that we spent to develop and push the envelop of silica-based paint protection coating. The hundreds and hundreds of professional detailers using our products on their client`s cars are a testimonial to how high they regards 22PLE Glass Coating performs. That`s tens of thousands of cars over the years, and if our products are a rebranded products of another, surely you won`t be the first to call us out?

Please do email us at 22ple.intl@gmail.com if you feel you`re not getting the best out of your 22PLE coating. We will do our best to assist you on this matter. Thank you for choosing 22PLE
    Likes BLOWN03 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 22PLE View Post
    @Patrick (pmnewton), do allow me to assure and clarify to you that 22PLE is neither the same products, nor they work exactly the same or behaved the same as any of the gTechniq coatings.

While we will not want to talk about the trait or performance of a competitor`s products here, but to conclude that 22PLE is a rebranded gTechniq product couldn`t be more ill-informed. Of course we couldn`t stop you from forming your own opinion or conclusion, but we felt it is a crying shame that our products are being likened or associated with gTechniq.

We are proud of the amount of time and financial resources that we spent to develop and push the envelop of silica-based paint protection coating. The hundreds and hundreds of professional detailers using our products on their client`s cars are a testimonial to how high they regards 22PLE Glass Coating performs. That`s tens of thousands of cars over the years, and if our products are a rebranded products of another, surely you won`t be the first to call us out?

Please do email us at 22ple.intl@gmail.com if you feel you`re not getting the best out of your 22PLE coating. We will do our best to assist you on this matter. Thank you for choosing 22PLE
    Thank you. I want nothing more than to use the rest of the bottle that I paid for and be satisfied with the results. Email sent.

Just out of curiosity, with all of these tens of thousands of cars treated, where is your website and why does the Autopia representative for the product only have one post?

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmnewton View Post

HELP!!

- Patrick
    I`ve only installed 22ple VX1 on a handful of cars but I never had issues with any of the cars I have done. The C1 I used was several years ago and I know they tweak it several times after that, but mine was not leveling off well and ended up removing and applying something else. 22ple is very easy to apply and does look great, but I currently push Finest more because I prefer it`s hydrophobic properties and slightly slicker feel. I`ve had 22ple Mistico Elemento on my new truck since October and it sits outside 24/7. Never had water spot issues on my vehicle or the one VX1 install that I see regularly. Spotting on coatings seems to be more of a region issue IMO, at least when its rain water.
    Likes JustJesus, 22PLE liked this post
    Thanks pmnewton thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I`ve only installed 22ple VX1 on a handful of cars but I never had issues with any of the cars I have done. The C1 I used was several years ago and I know they tweak it several times after that, but mine was not leveling off well and ended up removing and applying something else. 22ple is very easy to apply and does look great, but I currently push Finest more because I prefer it`s hydrophobic properties and slightly slicker feel. I`ve had 22ple Mistico Elemento on my new truck since October and it sits outside 24/7. Never had water spot issues on my vehicle or the one VX1 install that I see regularly. Spotting on coatings seems to be more of a region issue IMO, at least when its rain water.
    I agree that the 22PLE isn`t the most hydrophobic product I`ve seen. It didn`t bead as well as CQUK but I don`t care too much about that as long as the protection is good. The response I got back from the 22PLE rep is that the silica based coatings are known to have spotting issues especially on dark colored cars; something about them being alcohol based. He suggested using VS1 final coat since it has a silicone oil in it that will help. I was a bit disappointed that the best recommendation to fix a product that`s twice as expensive as CQUK was to buy more product and use it too. Be sure to drink your Ovaltine...

Maybe I`ll top it all with some Zaino Z-8 and save the money. As I recall, the Zaino sprays are silicone based and I have a fresh bottle. I like the ease of use as well. All I know is that I have two unopened 50ml bottles of CQUK that are looking pretty good right now.

Thanks Rasky!
    - Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you my car spots. Just a part of living in FL., and a black car.

So maybe sheeting is better than beading.................

Guess it depends on person/region
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I can tell you my car spots. Just a part of living in FL., and a black car.

So maybe sheeting is better than beading.................

Guess it depends on person/region
    Ron, I agree about the sheeting. I`ve never understood why you would want water to stay on your paint in perfect little capsules that dry up and leave all their solids behind. Isn`t FK1000P supposed to be awesome at sheeting?

I`m familiar with your general dislike of CQuartz products but I can tell you that I didn`t experience any spotting when using CQUK/Reload on either my Guards Red Boxster or black E550. So far, only the GTechniq and 22PLE products have produced instant spotting after a shower. I don`t mind spots that wash off, it`s the ones I get that need to be buffed off that really upset me because then I have to reapply the coating and it`s a whole Saturday gone. Coatings were supposed to be low maintenance. If I have to buff and coat my car after every sprinkle, I might as well go back to BFWD or Z2 and avoid the spotting all together.

Sorry to hear about your spotting. I think you guys get a lot more rain in FL than we do in NM so it`s probably even more disappointing.

- Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information