Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White Car Detail Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Vega@Autopia View Post
    I remember when I was detailing a white Toyota Camry , Mike Phillips came into the Show Car Garage and gave me great advice when detailing white vehicles. He told me contrast is king on white cars. In other words, make the white (paint) as white as possible by thoroughly decontaminating with Iron X and clay followed with polishing (as needed). But also make the black trim and black tires look as dark as possible.
    Well Said !This is why black tint looks so good on a white car ! I hit my tires with gel and always wash my inner fenders when washing the car to ensure the blacks are black. Its always a great feeling when you park next to another white car and yours is sooo much brighter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Best way I have been able to see defects on a white car is in a dark garage with an LED flashlight. Move the light around at different angles.
    Exactly! Point-source illumination in an otherwise dark room is the way to go, on white or any other color IMO.

White *is* great for not showing marring, but all those little flaws still refract light instead of reflecting it.
    Likes aceone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silver2kws6 View Post
    I was given a sample of Finish Kare 1000 wax
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    silver2kws6- I simply *LOVED* the FK1000P on the white Crown Vic I used to have.
    Well I will definitely have to check out this Finish Kare, Im making a list of all the products I`m interested in and I will order some in my next order

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    I would recommend polishing with the white pad on the GG6 before stepping up to the MF pads. Best way I have been able to see defects on a white car is in a dark garage with an LED flashlight. Move the light around at different angles.
    I grabbed MF pads on Larry Kosilla`s recommendation, he says he only uses the Megs MF and foam. Is your recommendation based on the least aggressive method practice or is there something you dislike about MF that Foam achieves?

Quote Originally Posted by Vega@Autopia View Post
    I remember when I was detailing a white Toyota Camry , Mike Phillips came into the Show Car Garage and gave me great advice when detailing white vehicles. He told me contrast is king on white cars. In other words, make the white (paint) as white as possible by thoroughly decontaminating with Iron X and clay followed with polishing (as needed). But also make the black trim and black tires look as dark as possible.
    Did light shine down from heaven and angels sing when he entered the room? Everytime I look something up on an Autogeek thread he seems to be right there answering everyones questions that man seems to be a fountain of knowledge I always appreciate his advice. Although I`m sure he hates the whole lights and angels thing, I imagine its hard to sneak up on people. His advice here is awesome, Id never thought of that contrast but that makes complete sense!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Said !This is why black tint looks so good on a white car ! I hit my tires with gel and always wash my inner fenders when washing the car to ensure the blacks are black. Its always a great feeling when you park next to another white car and yours is sooo much brighter.
    ^This is what I am shooting for I don`t need a show car shine but after all the work I put into my car I WOULD like my car to stand out a little. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Exactly! Point-source illumination in an otherwise dark room is the way to go, on white or any other color IMO.

White *is* great for not showing marring, but all those little flaws still refract light instead of reflecting it.
    Thank you both, this is a great idea, I`ve just been using the overhead lights and moving my eyes around but this is a better cheap workaround. Thanks guys!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the GG 6 inch included backing plate and ordered all 6.5 inch pads. I am noticing a lot of others recommending a 5" backing plate with the fitting pads stating that 6" doesn`t do the corrections they were looking for.

Am I wrong in using the 6" BP with 6.5" pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YuhDunBenShrunk View Post
    I am using the GG 6 inch included backing plate and ordered all 6.5 inch pads. I am noticing a lot of others recommending a 5" backing plate with the fitting pads stating that 6" doesn`t do the corrections they were looking for.

Am I wrong in using the 6" BP with 6.5" pads?
    The way I understand it, the smaller the pad, the more concentrated the energy of the buffer is focused, resulting in a faster cut and easier use. At least you`re not using the 7.5" pads that I was.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    At least you`re not using the 7.5" pads that I was.
    I literally LOL`d when I read your reply. That along with your Ed Edd n Eddy avatar was hilarious. So much win. Thank you for that!

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand it, the smaller the pad, the more concentrated the energy of the buffer is focused, resulting in a faster cut and easier use..
    And also, there`s less friction so fewer problems with the machine bogging down/not rotating the pad/"just jiggling". You actually have to be a *little* careful with small pads, the one time in my life I`ve done "oops, gotta repaint that" clearcoat damage I was using an old-style PC with a mild product on a 4" pad. Never did any damage like that with a rotary at full tilt using rocks-in-a-bottle!

Post Thanks / Like

So Now with all this 5" talk I`m really doubting my purchase of 6.5 inch pads. Also I ordered CCS pads (LC) because those were the only name I recognized and I see everyone promoting the hydrotech or flat pads in 5 inch. Can anyone tell me if I can exchange my order (hasn`t arrived yet) for smaller pads and pay for the extra backing plate? Or am I just in my own head?
    "You are held back only by your mindset, never your circumstances."

Post Thanks / Like

you might as well use what you have and then order others when needed. I have a GG6 with the pads they provided in the kit but ordered a 5 inch back plate and will order new pads when my GG pads are shot.

Post Thanks / Like

you might as well use what you have and then order others when needed. I have a GG6 with the pads they provided in the kit but ordered a 5 inch back plate and will order new pads when my GG pads are shot.
    mmk thats what I was thinking. Some people were just saying that the 6inch isn`t as efficient as the 5 inch. But never doing it before idk the difference in efficiency if it takes a little bit longer I`m fine and I`ll never know the difference until i get 5 inch, but if isn`t as effective as 5 inch then I want to upgrade.

Thank you for your input

Post Thanks / Like

you might as well use what you have and then order others when needed.

I agree with the above (coming from the guy who just ordered all 5" stuff). I`m just hoping that there isn`t so much difference in cut from the 7.5" pads to the 5" pads, so I don`t have an OOOPS like Accumulator did.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above (coming from the guy who just ordered all 5" stuff). I`m just hoping that there isn`t so much difference in cut from the 7.5" pads to the 5" pads, so I don`t have an OOOPS like Accumulator did.
    Ya haha that oops moment is my worst fear! Lemme know how the 5" treats ya. You`ll be my canary in this metaphorical coal mine. Haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YuhDunBenShrunk View Post
    Ya haha that oops moment is my worst fear! Lemme know how the 5" treats ya. You`ll be my canary in this metaphorical coal mine. Haha
    Thanks a lot
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information