Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are carnuaba waxes an obsoleted car-care product?? (Continuing on the great debate...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Never thought about the drain thing. hhmmmmm
    Stop it...LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are carnuaba waxes an obsoleted car-care product?? (Continuing on the great debate...)

Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    Stop it...LOL!
    why? if you look back, I had a bad clog. this may help.........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes fdresq4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not the only game like they used to be, but some will always prefer wax for a variety of reasons.

8 track is dead, cassette tapes are dead, CD`s are just about dead, but vinyl is making a comeback. So eventhough I`m a digital / sealant man, carnuba still has a place.

Post Thanks / Like

Reasons why coatings and/or seal might not be the best approach:

-No concealing (not every finish can be corrected well enough for the coating, or a sealant, to look OK)
    -Difficulties regarding spot-correction (including the need to relayer with multiple-coat-type sealants such as KSG)
    -Subjective factors (appearance, beading vs. sheeting, scent, slickness, etc.)
    -Time/effort/cost/requisite application skill

Note that I`m no coating-hater, I use one on certain wheels. I`m no sealant-hater, I use one (FK1000P) on most of my vehicles. But I can`t do any more correction on the `85 Jag (not *bad* for single stage of its age) or the `93 Audi (simply awful condition due to original owner and its dark blue that shows every flaw) so those need concealing, and most sealants don`t look right *in my eyes* on those cars anyhow.

Hey, give me a sealant that conceals and gives depth/jetting on dark colors and I`ll use it on that Audi. Give me one that conceals and looks right on older single stage and I`ll use it on the Jag. Give me an Accumulator-proof coating that`s as easy to use as my current stuff, conceals marring, looks "right for the vehicle" in my eyes, and allows for easy spot-correction and I`d probably use it on everything ifit offered advantages over FK1000P. But I don`t see any of my current LSPs as being deficient in any way for their applicatons, so why would I change? What am I missing by not using a coating instead of FK1000P? What am I missing by using a wax instead of a sealant on the vehicles that get that? Hey, those are serious Qs, give me some reasons! I might not change, but I`d enjoy discussing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Reasons why coatings and/or seal might not be the best approach:

-No concealing (not every finish can be corrected well enough for the coating, or a sealant, to look OK)
    -Difficulties regarding spot-correction (including the need to relayer with multiple-coat-type sealants such as KSG)
    -Subjective factors (appearance, beading vs. sheeting, scent, slickness, etc.)
    -Time/effort/cost/requisite application skill

Note that I`m no coating-hater, I use one on certain wheels. I`m no sealant-hater, I use one (FK1000P) on most of my vehicles. But I can`t do any more correction on the `85 Jag (not *bad* for single stage of its age) or the `93 Audi (simply awful condition due to original owner and its dark blue that shows every flaw) so those need concealing, and most sealants don`t look right *in my eyes* on those cars anyhow.

Hey, give me a sealant that conceals and gives depth/jetting on dark colors and I`ll use it on that Audi. Give me one that conceals and looks right on older single stage and I`ll use it on the Jag. Give me an Accumulator-proof coating that`s as easy to use as my current stuff, conceals marring, looks "right for the vehicle" in my eyes, and allows for easy spot-correction and I`d probably use it on everything ifit offered advantages over FK1000P. But I don`t see any of my current LSPs as being deficient in any way for their applicatons, so why would I change? What am I missing by not using a coating instead of FK1000P? What am I missing by using a wax instead of a sealant on the vehicles that get that? Hey, those are serious Qs, give me some reasons! I might not change, but I`d enjoy discussing it.
    Every time Accumulator mentions Finish-Kare`s FK1000P I feel like I`m missing out not having THAT wax/sealant in my collection. ("Why do you need another wax? Use what you have.", says the household accountant.)

Oh, yes, since I am the original poster (OP), it`s more than welcomed here to debate the coatings versus sealants versus wax and the benefits of each one. What is confusing is when a wax is really a sealant and vise-versa. I`m not into the semantics/definition of what is a wax and what is sealant. I suppose technically a sealant is NOT a wax when it contains no carnauba wax (or other natural wax), yet Meg`s calls their enhanced consumer-line "sealant" the Ultimate Liquid Wax. Just saying....
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Yes indeed, the whole "wax/sealant" thing gets murky. That FK1000P (which I`ll hard-sell again in a moment...) is labeled "High Temperature Wax". And it looks like a wax. It was developed as a "mold release wax". Wax wax wax. But everybody considers it a "paste type sealant" and it sure does look and act like one. Heh heh, it`s gotten to where I pretty much just disregard the (supposed) distinction. I`m not saying it`s a false dichotomy, but oh man it certainly seems to border one in most cases (e.g., what is Collinite 476S? Who cares, I go by its functional attributes).

I felt *exactly* the same way you do about trying FK1000P. Got a sample tin ages ago and just let it sit there unopened for (literally) years, finally tried it on a set of wheels just to use it up before it went bad. Now look at how I push the stuff! I`ll admit that its look might not please everybody, especially on certain colors (especially dark ones). But I quit using (many layers of) KSG, eh...I quit using most of my LSPs, because this stuff is just such a miracle product for me. Will it be for somebody else? I dunno. But if nothing else it saves me *so* much time because I don`t have to rewax, or even *wash* as often. And that tin will last for many, many years. OK, I`ll climb down off my soapbox. For now

I`m actually tempted to sell off my (considerable) stash of M16 and Pre-VOC 476S! One can of 476S would last me forever on the `93 Audi, and much as I like the way-back effect of using M16 I`m tiring of rewaxing my wife`s car every few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Are carnuaba waxes an obsoleted car-care product?? (Continuing on the great d...

I think Pinnacle Synergy is the best of both worlds it`s a wax with some coating ingredients that seems to hold up for me really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are carnuaba waxes an obsoleted car-care product?? (Continuing on the great d...

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I think Pinnacle Synergy is the best of both worlds it`s a wax with some coating ingredients that seems to hold up for me really well.
    Love it on the Vette

Good stuff !!!!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

ATTENTION MODERATOR................

Lets have a memorial service for waxes, blow them off the store and close this thread since "WE: have decided waxes are dead

Ronny, that was for you, do you remember that day you tried to get me to try a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    ATTENTION MODERATOR................

Lets have a memorial service for waxes, blow them off the store and close this thread since "WE: have decided waxes are dead

Ronny, that was for you, do you remember that day you tried to get me to try a sealant?

Thank you Jeff, Thank you !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Waxes sure have their place at this high volume hack shop. Especially when one of my detailers is heavy handed with the rotary and leaves halos behind. A quick smear and they`re gone!

And from a manufacturing standpoint, they are certainly here to stay too. There`s no way coatings will ever be popular enough to affect the sale/manufacturing or waxes. It`s a household product that is in just about ever garage.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    leaves halos behind. A quick smear and they`re gone!

Sorta how I handled the reload problems
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that for a regular joe who waxes his car once a year wax is where it`s at. For anyone who takes detailing seriously or cares about protection. I think wax it dead for someone like myself who values his fee time. Why decon, clay, polish and wax only to have to repeat in 3-6 weeks when I can extend the protection 2 plus years ? That my point and again my opinion. If you like wax, be my guest and wax on my good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Waxes sure have their place at this high volume hack shop. Especially when one of my detailers is heavy handed with the rotary and leaves halos behind. A quick smear and they`re gone!

And from a manufacturing standpoint, they are certainly here to stay too. There`s no way coatings will ever be popular enough to affect the sale/manufacturing or waxes. It`s a household product that is in just about ever garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I agree that for a regular joe who waxes his car once a year wax is where it`s at. For anyone who takes detailing seriously or cares about protection. I think wax it dead for someone like myself who values his fee time. Why decon, clay, polish and wax only to have to repeat in 3-6 weeks when I can extend the protection 2 plus years ? That my point and again my opinion. If you like wax, be my guest and wax on my good friend.

I prolly don`t value my free time, because I`m more than willing to spend it waxing. If you go through all the prep steps initially - you only have to top off the wax with a new coat maybe once a month (at most); but, there is no need to re-polish, decon, and clay at that time - just wash and apply another coat of wax. Takes maybe a half hour or so (depending on wax).

I don`t think any coated car approaching 2 years since application will look as good as one just waxed. Of course, the coating really doesn`t last 730 days, it`s degrading the whole time. So is wax. The difference is - wax is easily and readily renewable - where you have to go through a whole rigmarole with a coating.
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think they`re obsolete, but for me I just don`t use em like I used to. In my single/child-less days, I had plenty of time to spend doing things like waxing my vehicles. Now? Not so much, which is why I`ve moved on to coatings. Now if/when I have a mustang back in my garage someday for a "fun" car, that will probably get the carnauba again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information