Post Thanks / Like

What products/types of products are most vulnerable to temperature extreme`s?

Being that I`m limited on space in the house I can only bring in some stuff. What products/types of products are most vulnerable to temperature extreme`s?

The one`s that always bring in are the chemical reacting such as car-pro stuff like trix, tar-x, iron-x etc. I always leave the basic soaps like CG Citrus wash N gloss an glossworks in the garage along with most APC`s like optimum PC an 1Z W99. Are waxes very prone? I always repot them once a year.

Keep in mind my garage although not heated never drops below 30 an never above 85.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What products/types of products are most vulnerable to temperature extreme`s?

Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What products/types of products are most vulnerable to temperature extreme`s?

I bring in all my Waxes, sealants, all polishes, and APC`s. I think you might be ok with some of your car wash soaps.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My shop`s temp never gets down to freezing, but it does get hot if I don`t have the A/C running. Most vulnerable product under those conditions is Meguiar`s M34 Final Inspection. But to the point of this thread:

The Driver- I wouldn`t want to let *any* of that stuff freeze, so if it really does get down to 30, then maybe you oughta bring it all in. If it really only gets down to 35 or so, then I wouldn`t worry about it. My concern in your case would be all about liquids truly freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

If the garage temp ranges around 30, a simple 60 watt lamp inside the cabinet will keep temps around 45 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My shop`s temp never gets down to freezing, but it does get hot if I don`t have the A/C running. Most vulnerable product under those conditions is Meguiar`s M34 Final Inspection. But to the point of this thread:

The Driver- I wouldn`t want to let *any* of that stuff freeze, so if it really does get down to 30, then maybe you oughta bring it all in. If it really only gets down to 35 or so, then I wouldn`t worry about it. My concern in your case would be all about liquids truly freezing.
    Don`t confuse the freezing point of water with the freezing point of an aqueous solution. In most instances, when you dissolve something in water (e.g. salt) the freezing point goes down. (Adding another solvent has the same effect (e.g. adding alcohol or ethylene glycol to water). Most APCs wont` freeze at 28 even at 10-1. (Don`t ask me how I know.) Having said that, freezing is not the only problem. Waxes don`t want to get too hot. (Note that most premium waxes should be stored in the refrigerator). I keep all my sealants and coatings inside. I Keep waxes in my spare fridge.

Just a thought or two...
    Regards,
    <TED>
    Likes The Driver, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

As far as coatings, I only do per request or a bottle on hand at most. It just doesn`t make sense to store something that has a 3 month shelf life.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Thanks guys!

As far as coatings, I only do per request or a bottle on hand at most. It just doesn`t make sense to store something that has a 3 month shelf life.
    Agreed. Keep on hand only what you need. No sense in risking the integrity of the product.

As far as what should or shouldn`t be stored, I think thicker liquids like waxes, polishes & compounds should always be stored at room temp. When these products are manufactured the ingredients are mixed rapidly together for a very long period of time. When they are exposed to high/low temps, the emulsification breaks down/separates. Some can be restored, but many are ruined.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

tedj101- Ah, good point! Guess it`s been far too long since my Chem classes
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me that is Aerospace 303 protectant. The emulsifiers will freeze and change their chemical composition and when it thaws out, it smells like bad body odor.

I think that most will concur that if you spend an inordinate amount of disposable income (AKA, money) on car care chemicals (at least according to my significant other and family accountant), you would be more than careful about trying to preserve and protect that investment. Of course not everyone has a basement or heated garage, but it still seems like common sense to store these car-care chemicals in a "controlled" environment. However if you live in an apartment with limited storage this may be impossible. I don`t think you or your roommate may want the apartment looking like the car-care isle of an AutoZone. But then again it is a type of "collection" that some people like to "exhibit"...What?... don`t go there!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I keep polish, wax, sealant, and anything that cost over $20 at room temperature year round. In the Mid-Atlantic our winters are not too extreme. On occasion when it gets really cold I will bring in my mobile bag which is FULL of various products.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of products? Meguiars! I`ve had more megs stuff fail due to changing temps than anything else combined. I still love their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    As far as what should or shouldn`t be stored, I think thicker liquids like waxes, polishes & compounds should always be stored at room temp. When these products are manufactured the ingredients are mixed rapidly together for a very long period of time. When they are exposed to high/low temps, the emulsification breaks down/separates. Some can be restored, but many are ruined.
    My garage never gets below 42 degrees so I`ve never had a problem with cold damaging anything. High heat in the summer is a different story and I`ve had some products separate before I moved most polishes and LSPs into the house. When they do separate just throw a small stainless steel ball bearing into the container and with a couple of minutes shaking things are back to there original state. Works so well I`ve added one to all of my products that need shaking.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    My garage never gets below 42 degrees so I`ve never had a problem with cold damaging anything. High heat in the summer is a different story and I`ve had some products separate before I moved most polishes and LSPs into the house. When they do separate just throw a small stainless steel ball bearing into the container and with a couple of minutes shaking things are back to there original state. Works so well I`ve added one to all of my products that need shaking.
    To be fair most thicker liquid are ruined by freezing. However some products hate temperature fluctuations as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought

you could send em to me for safe keeping and occasional testing to assure quality
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information