Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gpshumway

My father in-law was pleased with the results of the Opti-Coat I applied to his daughter`s mini-van, and asked me if I would do his cars, which I was happy to do.` So, I head to optimumcarcare.com to replenish my stock of OC2 and find a new product, Gloss-Coat in its place.` The description sounds very similar to OC2, but just to be sure I come here to check it out and find this thread.` I have to say I`m very disappointed in OPT for their decision to stop offering OC2 to the public.` Unless there is some mea-culpa from OPT, my recent purchase of power-clean will be the last product I buy from OPT.`

`

I`m making this post in the hopes that OPT will reconsider.` I doubt they will, but I`m putting in the effort any way.

`

IMO, this decision takes OC2 away from the market which it provides the best value - the non-enthusiast daily-driver market.` I`ve used OC2 on three vehicles, my parent`s cars and my sister-in-law`s mini-van.` None of them would spend $800 to have a pro perform the same service.` Their lack of interest and time for car care means they don`t do a proper semi-annual paint protection and they often use automatic car washes.` My parents live on a dirt road for Pete`s sake, any deep-gloss shine their car may have is ruined 30 seconds into the first time they drive it.` To all of them the immediate value is that the car is easier to keep clean, OC2`s lack of slickness is no issue and the "look" is immaterial, they`re not bothered by minor spider webbing or auto-wash induced marring, but it`s nice that the coating is more resistant than the typical asian-car paint.` They like that the fact that OC2 should prevent clear-coat failure 8 years hence, but most of them have never seen the problem even on cars they`ve neglected in the past, so its just not an issue for them.

`

On the other end of the spectrum you have people like Dan.`` They`re perfectionists and are going to detial their cars at least once a year, coating or not.` While OC2 is more resistant to marring than some factory paint, it`s not impervious, so the perfectionist is going to polish it any way, and reduce the life in the process.` To them the benefits of a coating over a traditional LSP are quite minimal.` So all we have left are car-guys (and gals) with lots of money but little time who are willing to pay pro detailers to keep their cars in excellent but not show-car shape.` That seems a very small market, possibly the most profitable market, possibly not, OPT is about to find out.` There are lots of companies who`s products I like, but who`s business practices prevent me from buying the product, OPT has just been added to the list.` The fact that they have a superior product on the shelf which they refuse to sell me in order to control the market and protect other customers tells me everything I need to know.

`

Before any pro-detailers try to say their services are a "good value", that point can be debated, but it ultimately only matters what the owner believes is a good value at the time of purchase.` As pros have stated in this thread $800 is a tough sell to many people who regularly employ their services, people like my SIL and parents who don`t employ pro services at all are never going to see the value in it, the sticker shock is just too great.`

`

I understand the dilemma for pro detailers, ultimately coatings are not great for their business as they reduce repeat business.` An LSP that needs to be re-applied every six months has an inherent repeat business advantage.` They have to charge more for the coating for it to be viable business.` I also understand why most pros insist on paint correction before applying the coating.` They want every car that leaves the shop with their name attached to be "perfect" as their reputation is on the line.` But to people like my SIL, "perfect" has little value, they don`t even notice the small flaws, let alone are bothered by them.` The difference between a full correction and a simple paint cleaning likely doubles the cost of applying the coating.` Most of what they`re paying for is labor, not materials, and that labor is only valuble to a select few perfectionist enthusiasts.`

`

I hope OPT reconsiders.` I found OC2 to be no harder to apply than KSG, the consequences of poor application may be greater, but the difficulty is not.` It`s a great product for the car guy in the family (me) to apply to their relatives cars to help them maintain appearance and value over the long term.` OPT`s proffesional customers aren`t loosing any business, the market segments are completely distinct, no overlap.` There are other ways to discipline hack professionals besides removing the product from the market.` Look at PPF, there is a well-functioning pro-installer market (though still with plenty of hacks), but the products are still available to DIY-ers.` I`d even be willing to pay a bit more for the product with the understanding that pros get a big volume discount, but removing it from the DIY market entirely is very short sighted.

`

Just MHO.

`

I`d be careful, if you`re to vocal about not liking the changes, Optimum may decide to put you on the black list and prohibit you from buying any of their products!

`

`

`

`

Disclaimer for sarcasm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean like how carpro takes you off the installer list without letting you know? Is that what you mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany

Do you mean like how carpro takes you off the installer list without letting you know? Is that what you mean?

`

Not sure what your talking about, I dropped Opti-Coat as an offering on 8-26-14, as noted in this thread. If and when Optimum chooses to take me down from their installer list/map is totally up to them.

Post Thanks / Like

http://youtu.be/PqQ62B8xdJc

Post Thanks / Like
    You are trying to bad mouth optimum it seems - not sure why? Did optimum take you off their list without telling you? If that was the case, I could understand your frustration. Not sure why you are so bitter. Isn`t CQF superior to opti coat?

Carpro took me off their list of installers without contacting me about it. Actually twice they did that. Do you see me `````ing about it? Why not move on? You are a very well respected detailer, why not let it go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted post...not worth my time to get involved in this.

Post Thanks / Like

You are trying to bad mouth optimum it seems - not sure why? Did optimum take you off their list without telling you? If that was the case, I could understand your frustration. Not sure why you are so bitter. Isn`t CQF superior to opti coat?

Carpro took me off their list of installers without contacting me about it. Actually twice they did that. Do you see me `````ing about it? Why not move on? You are a very well respected detailer, why not let it go?

`

There is no law against voicing my opinion on the disapproval of Optimum`s changes to the Opti-Coat Pro installers, which is shared by many of the installers. When I checked a week or two AFTER I announced I was dropping Opti-Coat Pro from my offering as a result of the recent changes, on both here and the Authorized Installer Facebook group, I was still listed as an installer on the map. If I`ve since been removed from that list why on earth would I be upset???

`

You could check with Corey, but I believe CarPro will remove inactive installers from their list if they don`t actually sell anything, that way someone who may want to be an installer and actually sell the product in that area can, since they limit the number of installers in a territory.

`

I don`t think me voicing my disapproval on the matter is hurting my reputation, if standing up for what is right paints me in a bad light, than so be it.

`

If anything, it`s your posts that may come off in a bad way with others, at least those not drinking the Kool-aid.

gpshumway
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

Gloss-Coat is a superior product to OC 2.0 and even easier to apply. I would expect it to last far longer than the 2 years Optimum is suggesting for reapplication. And you can purchase it without being a professional. It`s what I have on my own car that sits outside 24/7.`

`

This is after 2 days of rain, mist, drizzle and fog without washing it....

`

`

The only reason it isn`t called Opti-Coat 2.0 anymore is to further distinguish it from Opti-Coat Pro. And you can thank unscrupulous detailers misrepresenting it as the pro version for the name change.`

Define superior.` I`m not sure what I`m supposed to take from a bad picture of a tan car.` How long has that car been coated?` Long enough to verify durability?` Is that an official statement from OPT that a properly applied coat of Gloss-coat will last the 5+ years an application of OC2 was supposed to last?` You`re one of the principal OPT fanbois here, Scott, and an official beta tester.` Are you speaking for them? `

`
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcrew

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you`re not missing the improvements Gloss-Coat has over 2.0. Don`t throw the baby out with the bath water, right?

`

What improvements?` I see no official word from Optimum that anything of value to the average car owner has been improved.` I see claims of easier use (big deal, OC2 was plenty easy), deeper shine (so what on a Minnesota daily driver).` I`ve seen anectodal posts that slickness is improved and that might improve contaminant release, but no official claims from OPT.` What I do see is a dramatic reduction in the claimed durability.` I`m open to there being some actual improvements, but OPT has to actually claim them.` The supposed improvements I do see amount to marketing puffery.

`

`
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1

I`d be careful, if you`re to vocal about not liking the changes, Optimum may decide to put you on the black list and prohibit you from buying any of their products!

`

`

`

`

Disclaimer for sarcasm.

`

Lol.` It seems a variation of the old "I dumped you first" from high-school dating.

Post Thanks / Like

So why is it such a big deal if optimum does it, but carpro doing it is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

The koolaid is CQF right now and you are at the for front.

Of course you have the right to voice your opinion, but `````ing about price increases while posting pictures of cars that opti coat can`t last on for its life, but now your customers are happy because you are applying CQF - how does that make me look bad? Unless your intention is to drive business away from oc since you don`t offer it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

So why is it such a big deal if optimum does it, but carpro doing it is fine.

I never said it was ok for anyone to do it....

Post Thanks / Like

Of course you have the right to voice your opinion, but `````ing about price increases while posting pictures of cars that opti coat can`t last on for its life, but now your customers are happy because you are applying CQF - how does that make me look bad? Unless your intention is to drive business away from oc since you don`t offer it anymore.

`

`

Twisting my words is rather silly when my actual posts are still shown in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Six months later there was no beading you mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Six months later there was no beading you mean?

`

<span style="font-size:24px;">Here, Let me help you...

`

`

You said

Of course you have the right to voice your opinion, but `````ing about price increases <span style="color:#ff0000;">while posting pictures of cars that opti coat can`t last on for its life, but now your customers are happy because you are applying CQF - how does that make me look bad? Unless your intention is to drive business away from oc since you don`t offer it anymore.

`

`

My posts say

Durability/performance of any coating comes down to regular care, which I`m sure you are well aware of. OCP was still like new when I recently polished it off my car after 2 years. However, a very good client of mine comes in every 6 months with his S4 and it maybe sees a touch-less wash once or twice during that time. At the 6 month mark there was zero beading, even after a chemical decon (<span style="color:#ff0000;">though I know it was still there). I polished with Primer and recoated. Another 6 months goes by and again, zero beading, even after another chemical decon. This time around I polished of OCP and recoated with CQuarts Finest, so we`ll see if holds up any better when he comes back in.

`

Point being, <span style="color:#ff0000;">regardless of whether a coating manufacture says its permanent, or its only said to only last for 2+ years, they all fall flat on their face if not cared for regularly and properly. On top of that, I have yet to see a client go more than 2 years without needing to have the car polished again because of the wash induced and/ or other marring. You can give them all the care advice and products you want, but rarely do the stick with it like we do on our own cars.

`

How could you tell?

`

I have no doubts OCP, or many of the other coatings are capable of lasting a very long time when properly cared for, which was my point, but very few actually do so.

`

`

I`ve actually never had any issues with the looks of OCP (nor have my clients), or it`s protection against bugs and bird poo. That being said, with a hard line on a solid black panel, it`s a night and day between OCP and QCF. Now if you put two identical cars side by side, both polished to perfection and each coated with a different product, it would be harder to see the difference IMO. My issue with OCP is Optimum, not the product.

`

I will also add that after 2 years of having my car coated with OCP it was still swirl free, though I could see a noticeable difference in gloss after polishing a panel this spring to apply CQF. This was after washing, IronX, Tarminator, another wash, and claying. The amount of dirt or "brownness" on my white polishing pad was surprising. To be fair, I did neglect my paint over the last winter.

`

After having CQF on my car for several months I can say I enjoyed washing it much more, it looked better, had a slicker feel, and I like the way the water sheets away water better too. Unfortunately, I traded it in last week, but rest assured, my new ride will be getting CQF.

`

A few of my repeat clients who`ve had me coat multiple cars have enjoyed Finest more too, not that they were disappointed with OCP. Their first car(s) had OCP and now they`ve tried having CQF applied to their newest cars after seeing it offered on my site and talking to me about it.

`

Here is an example

`

First car

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...9+%2Bopti-coat

`

Second car

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...t-application/

`

Owner email.

`

`

`

I`ve never bashed or talked badly about Opti-Coat Pro. I simply post the truth based on experience with actual customers cars, my own cars, and testing I`ve done on various test panels. In my above posts, in no way did I post cars and say<span style="color:#ff0000;"> "that opti coat can`t last on for its life"

`

Now I did post pictures of various clients cars on the Autogeek thread. Cars that came back in less that two years for a reapplication. This was not to show that a product failed, but to prove my point that regardless of whether or not a products says it`s permanent, most cars will still come back frequently for re-polishing because most clients simply won`t care for their cars properly.

Posts #423, 424, 425, and 428 if you need to reread them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...crease-11.html

`

`

So again, it`s silly to twist my words around trying to make me come off as I`m bashing Opti-Coat. As I said many times, I have no issue with the product, in fact I think it`s great. I simply disapprove of the 600% price increase in just over 2 years time, not to mention some of the other changes.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas Dekany, for disclosure purposes, are you employed or compensated by Optimum?
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread Information