Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1

I wasn`t busting your chops or anything.

`

I know you weren`t, but the less i think about proper lighting while mobile the better. You have no idea what I have to work with. So even before I push the shutter I know the pictures going to suck.`

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany

Photography is my hobby, so I know a little about lighting. You are still missing the point though. OC doesn`t dull the finish. It was nearly midnight, the customer was ok with me taking a few quick shots. So i put the tripod down and took several pictures in a hurry.`

`

Sweet. Then we agree that lighting plays a big role in how paint looks on cars in photographs regardless of it`s absolute condition(especially after viewing the candid and absolute photos that someone else provided in my last post).`

Though, I`ve never said or inferred that OC dulls a finish. I`ve neither missed the point nor hit the nail on the head as there is not a point to be made with me on OC. You`re directing OC results/debate at the wrong person. If you read my comments you`ll find I talked about using lighting in a way that casts favorable looks on cars and you`ve confirmed that you understand the concept, as a amateur photographer hobbyist, and that we are on the same page.`

I`ve had way too many huge projects wrap up in the evening and was forced to either take night shots like the one you posted or none at all and I will always choose to at least take a few so I have`something. I am not criticizing you for being in that position when I`ve been there many times just the same. But no doubt, we both also understand that there is no replacement for daylight shots with and without shadows for telling a complete story with pictures and even then those photos can be edited to modify the looks. As a amateur photography hobbyist, you understand the concept of lighting`s impact on automotive paint. No doubt that`s why you understand that an evening shot does not really tell anything about OC, CP, CQF, Modesta or any coating or LSP. It has nothing to do with motives, abilities or the real results. Night shots in a garage with optimal contrast lighting does not give an unbiased look at what`s happening with the paint and doesn`t carry weight in a debate about the gloss level of a specific coating. It`s good we are on the same page about the impact lighting has on photographs.

`

It`s not stepping out on a limb to say that any professional detailer that takes more than 1 shot of a car understands that lighting can either improve or degrade the appearance of gloss. I`d be funny to hear someone deny that and try to make a sound defense for it.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Those are pretty pictures. Mind putting those into context for me? I am not following.

Post Thanks / Like

Top detailer, with top notch photo skills. Darren used to post here - I believe his username was Macdude. Posted his stuff to show how good car pictures can look when properly detailed. Did you not say how some pros do excellent photo work too? He is another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, that guy has a shop in Malaysia, right? Fantastic facility too!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is him.

Post Thanks / Like

I want his photo skills...not for my cars, but for family portraits and weddings!!!` HUGE money in that field.` I should have done that for a career! 3k for a basic wedding shoot for one day, less the little stuff like editing and dvd cost and what not...Im in the wrong business when I could be making 12k a weekend!!!` LOL

`

I like his shop too...pretty sick!` If only I had an unlimited budget....where is my winning lotto ticket?

`

I am not on the opticoat pro program...I got to try some out and used it on my car to show people the difference - half the hood in OC, half in another coating - every potential client and booked client chose the "other" coating option as it was glossier and the flake on my car (mazda metallic black) popped more.` Maybe it looked muted because the side by side comparison?` IDK, I like giving options to my clients...just like clear bra choices...suntek or xpel.` Xpel has a TON of marketing behind it, hence the demand when in fact, from everyone I talk to now, and seeing it in person but not yet applying any, says suntek is superior in ease of installation, looks, and self healing ability.` Sure Xpel has a 10yr warranty, but in reality, they should be ripped off every 5 years or so and reapplied, so the 10yr warranty is a mute point, kinda like a lifetime claim...again, IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to have a customer not thrilled with how their car looked after OC Pro or 2.0 was applied and I`ve done 150+ now. And several have mentioned they were flat blown away since they had read some comments on forums that OC didn`t add anything to the look. Those who wash their cars themselves (and a lot convert after seeing how easy ONR is to use), they are able to keep them swirl free. Hell, my Dad is in his mid-70s and he`s managed to keep my Mom`s `09 ES350 that I coated 5 years ago this month swirl free. He mostly uses ONR, occasionally he`ll get out a hose and wash it conventionally. I`ve had one customer have me apply Opti-Coat to 3 other cars after we did the first two for him. The red M6 I coated last month, I`d coated her Boxster in April...and when I returned to take care of the M6, she had a gallon of ONR W&W in the garage (and it had been opened) and the 16 x 16 edgeless Rag Company 500 gram MF towels too-and raved about how easy it was to take care of her car now. Whether there have been huge changes or not through the years, I don`t know. I`ve always been happy with the look. And now Optimum has introduced Gloss Coat which looks absolutely amazing.`

`

I know there are other coatings out there but IMO its best to find the one that works best for you and your customers and excel at applying it.`
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

Dr G posted this on Autogeek. Happened to see it just now.

`
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

`

`
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">There has been a great deal of speculations over why Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 has been replaced with Gloss-Coat and except for the comments from “builthatch†(my apologies since I did not know your name) and Thomas Dekany, nearly all the rest have been completely off the mark. As many have pointed out we are not a marketing company but a manufacturing one and as such our focus is on developing new products and improving the existing ones. In 2011, in response to many requests from a large number of non-professional customers, we developed Opti-Coat 2.0 with similar properties to Opti-Coat Pro but much easier application requirements.`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Nearly every product that we manufacture, goes through an upgrade every 2-3 years. Opti-Coat 2.0 was no exception and during the past several months it was reformulated to add several attributes that our customers had requested over time. These attributes included slickness, gloss, easier application, ability to add additional layers, adding wax or sealant on top, etc.`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">As the project was nearing the end, there were an increasing number of consumers who were contacting Optimum that had Opti-Coat 2.0 applied to their cars and had the wrong understanding that it was the pro product or a newer version of Opti-Coat Pro. Some consumers were even under the impression that there is a warranty for their car in our data base! In order to put a stop to these deceptive practices and eliminate the confusion for consumers, we decided to release the new formula under a new name that eliminates any further confusion with Opti-Coat Pro. Additionally, as part of the changes to our program, from now on all Opti-Coat Pro applications come with a 5 year warranty to further avoid any confusion or miscommunication to the consumers by using any other product instead.`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">While I have posted these comments, please do not pose any questions or ask for additional responses since I will not be going into any more detail and will not be adding any more comments. One last item that needs to be addressed is in regards to the term “Permanent†Coating. In the paint industry you have temporary coatings such as waxes, sealants, nano-sealants/nano-coatings which will wear off over time from normal washing or just being exposed to the elements. These temporary coatings will diminish over time and need to be reapplied or require boosters. On the other hand, “Permanent†Coatings will not diminish over time and there is no change in film thickness from being exposed to the elements or regular washing. “Permanent†Coatings therefore do not require reapplication or boosters. However, you can remove “Permanent†Coatings with sanding and polishing. The OEM clearcoat paint is considered “permanent†by these definitions and so is Opti-Coat.`</blockquote>

`

Post Thanks / Like
    *Deleted my intial Thank you to above poster.*

I read, on another forum to boot, that the 2 clients situation I mentioned earlier was questionable. Sad he missed the point from a consumer`s point.

Flash was right.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish they would have explained that from the get go.` I know there would still be people upset with the changes (not to mention the price increase, again), but at least there`d be an explanation.` Which is more than we got when the announcement was made.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"best gloss - CQF
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">best scratch resistance - CP
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">best reflections - 22PLE"
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">`
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">So CQF increases gloss but 22PLE has better reflections? How are the two different?`

Post Thanks / Like

I see the gloss as more wet and deep

I see reflections as more mirror like

`

There is a difference in the two final looks, my own observations obviously

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001

`
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"best gloss - CQF
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">best scratch resistance - CP
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">best reflections - 22PLE"
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">`
    <p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">So CQF increases gloss but 22PLE has better reflections? How are the two different?`

`

`

I did hear a while back that both CQ and 22ple are "manufactured" by the same company. Didn`t say that they are the same. Also, that 22ple`s reflection/extra shiny look comes from silicone. This is what I heard.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread Information