Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Ladies and Gents,

`

I purchased some rather expensive three piece forged aluminum wheels and paid extra for matte black powdercoat. `I thought the powdercoat would be a low maintenance finish but with the very hard (1200+ ppm tds) water here in the desert I have noticed a bit of an issue. `First, let me start by saying that when the wheels first arrived new from the factory, I decontaminated any manufacturing oils and immediately coated with GTechniq C5 wheel coating, which I`m thoroughly convinced was just C1 Crystal Lacquer in a different bottle, but I digress. `During the coating process I noticed that the C5 seemed to be completely absorbed by the powdercoat. `There was not really anything left to wipe away after a brief flashover period. `The end result is that I was left with a bit of beading for a short period of time but no real protection.`

`

Herein lies the problem. `I wash my car only with softened water taken directly from the hot water heater. `The caveat is that softened water isn`t really "soft". `The ion exchange resins in water softeners just exchange calcium and magnesium ions for sodium and chlorine ions. `The end result is that you wash your car with salt water instead of mineral water. `I know, I know, get a CR Spotless system! `Well I did, and the results were amazing, but expensive. `At this level of hardness, I can only expect about 50 gallons of DI water from the big daddy "300 gallon" system. `That means I need a $100+ resin refill after only 3 car washes! `End result, I`m stuck with salt water for washing the car.

`

My wheels have taken on a sort of ashy appearance over the last 10 months. `I only wash with mild Griots Garage soap and then rinse/blow dry immediately. `I suspect that the salt has permeated my powdercoat somehow. `I would like to know what to try in order to remove the ashy appearance and then seal up the wheels. `I have a lift and an airbrush if that helps any. `I recently purchased some CG water spot remover and I plan to do a test spot to see if it takes the ashyness out of the powdercoat. `If that doesn`t work, what do you recommend? `In terms of sealing the porous powdercoat, what is better than GTechniq C5? `I have seen Rasky R1 apply Opti Coat with an airbrush and as a car model hobbyist I am pretty good with an airbrush. `Any thoughts?

`

Cheers

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe an acid wash? Should remove all mineral deposits.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti

Maybe an acid wash? Should remove all mineral deposits.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The CG water spot remover that I purchased is very acidic. `If it works and I get that nice satin finish back, what should I coat the wheels with to keep them from getting the dry gray appearance again? `The C5 obviously didn`t work.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump?

Post Thanks / Like

pmnewton- I`ve never had your problem (my powdercoated parts do OK with my soft water), so I hesitate to suggest a solution.` BUT, if it happened to me I`d probably do an ABC decontamination and maybe follow up with a polishing (I`ve lightly polished satin black powercoating without "glossing it up" too much, but YMMV sure applies here).` So in the absence of the ABC, yeah..I`d probably try your CG waterspot remover.` Wonder how something milder, like vinegar, would work (with a good long dwell-time)...

`

I`m more confident recommending a coating- I`ve never had issues with OptiCoated stuff despite the soft water.` I`d go for a few layers/applications of it, especially in your case, as some powdercoating seems a lot more, uhm....porous...than others.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opti Coat or Opti-Coat Pro is what you want. It will only add a slight sheen to the matte appearance which most prefer to uncoated, because it looks fresh and clean. They will be easier to clean and stay cleaner longer. You`ll also be able to stop using any special or string wheel cleanser and only need car wash shampoo.

----------------------------
    For more OPTImized tips, post in our sponsored forum or email info@theultimatecarcare.com To purchase the latest and freshest Optimum Products www.theultimatecarcare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. `Accumulator, I tried Vinegar. `No dice. `Two votes for Opti Coat is encouraging. `There are many nooks and crannies in these wheels so application will be very tedious at best. `When applying by airbrush does one still need to wipe away the residue after flashing?

`

Thanks`

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

pmnewton- I hope Chris Thomas checks back on this thread as he knows a lot more about OptiCoat than I do!` IMO that "wipe away the residue" only happens if you overapply; you`re "leveling out" areas where the coating is too thick.` So if you airbrush it on thinly/uniformly enough there might not be a need for any of that.

`

But oh man, don`t take my word for it...see what a real OptiCoat authority has to say.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Airbrushing is the way to go with intricate parts. And you only have to wipe if your airbrush doesn`t atomized well or spits. But, if you choose to shoot the wheels, be sure to use the proper protection for skin, eyes, and inhalation.

Thread Information