Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, long time member here. Haven`t detailed in probably seven years or so. I am a bit out of touch with the latest and greatest products. Anyways recently picked up a new Mazda 6 in jet black mica. Told the dealer not to wash or detail it, but it appears they did anyways. I have some minor swirls, pics attached. I think its a job easy enough for the PC. What are the best pads/polish now a day? I remember Optimum and LC being the best when I was really really into this stuff. Anyways these swirls are robbing my new car of its deep paint color. How should I attack this? Since the car is brand new I am planning on a one step polish and straight to wax. Is M80 still a good one step polish? Going to top with paste Souveran. What pad to use for the M80? Thanks!

`

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I`m still using the LC pads (orange for your needs )and Optimum polish, god working time and no dust. You sure you want to go with Souveran? I`d go with a sealant unless your willing to do it often. JMTC
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. You don`t think Optimum is to much of a heavy cut for those swirls? I think my bottle of Optimum is close to six years old now I will have to check to see if its still good lol.

`

I am going to try Souveran first just to see the depth of the paint, may do a sealant before hand. Thinking about Meguiars #16 as well for longevity and since we have had about a solid week and half of pure rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Polish on a white or orange pad isnt harsh at all , I use it all the time . You still have some #16 too huh? Just did it over Klasse SG on my burgundy Civic.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

I will try out the Optimum on a white pad first see what kind of difference it makes. If it`s not helping I will try an orange pad. Thanks for the recommendation.

`

I think I still have about four tins of Meguiars #16 in the garage somewhere. I literally have not done any detailing in about eight years. Haven`t had a nice car worth while detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    #16 is like gold to old school detailers .. Damn VOC crap.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

Yup I remember ordering this stuff from a detailing shop in Abilene, TX. Got their last few tins many many years ago.

`

So it looks like my optimum stuff isn`t good anymore. I do have some Poorboys SSR1/SSR2 that appears to be in good shape. May have to give that a shot. The swirls don`t look to bad, no?

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take a look at HD Polish.`` Finishes really well on black and has some cut to it with a white or orange pad.`` The HD Pads (same as Buff & Shine) are also very good--the orange finishes like an LC white.` Works well on my hard as nails VW paint.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I really am just looking for a one step polish. I will check out the HD Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

evenflow- You won`t go wrong with either the Optimum or the HD Polish.

`

And yeah, M16 is still a good choice; I continue to use it on my wife`s A8.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Hyper Polish, HD Polish, or M205 are great 1 step polishes. Paired with a polish pad (LC Orange or white), or Megs finishing microfiber pads are awesome.`

`

I`d suggest topping it with a sealant, allow it to cure then top that with whatever wax you`d like. The sealant will give you long term durability and then the wax will give you the wet looks your looking for.`

`

My go to sealants are Blackfire wet diamond or Opti-Seal. I rarely use paste waxes anymore due to most have a lack of durability. But still have a few tins laying around.`

Post Thanks / Like

BTW--HD Poxy (which is a hybrid sealant/Montan wax looks fantastic on black after HD Polish--then top with HD Express Gloss Enhancer Wax (spray)-- then`every 4-6 weeks hit it with HD Express`for a great look and durability.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

So I have a lot of Menzerna Intensive Polish left, is that polish good enough for a one step LSP ready finish w/ a white polishing pad? Just trying to save some money and not order m205.

Post Thanks / Like

IP might be ok on a white pad at very light pressure and at 4 or 5 on the PC .. do a small test spot. Myself I don`t use M205 etc any more .. Low working time and too dusty .. I use Optimum Polish or 3D polish.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

evenflow- I doubt the IP would satisfy *me*, but then I`m not always satisfied with M205!

`

And BTW, I`d sure consider Optimum or HD Polish instead of M205, which I`ve basicaly quit using/recommending...got a whole gallon if it sitting here that I`ll never use now that there are such better alternatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information