Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy

Then dont use it and continue to use your wax.` There are a lot of people who are too busy (more than the amount of people who like to wax every month) to deal with their car care maintenance.` Coatings satisfy those needs!

`

Topping a coating is unnecessary, but easy to do with a spray wax, a spray coating.` I used Gtechnique liquid crystal the other day...stupid easy to use!!!!` Worked a little tricky on a wet 22PLE coated car, but I used it on 4 other cars - two with no coating and two with coatings.` All were dry and the product worked effortlessly!!!

Like I said before I might use it once to experiment but I like to mess around too much to do nothing to my car other than a weekly wash and maybe a spray topper now and then. `I agree that I have more time than most people and certainly more desire, in fact, I consider it a form of therapy and detailing puts me more in tune with my vehicle. `I have to assume that the people that visit this forum are also very much into detailing, either as a hobby or professional. `

`

The pros must use coatings in order to provide a service to their customers that ask for them so of course they are exempt. `But for the rest of us enthusiasts it seems to me that most coatings require a good day to prep, another to apply and bond - and that is pretty much it for an entire year or two. `I would have withdrawl long before that! `

`

These new technology products are great for those people you described who simply do not have the time or ambition but for me it does not put me in touch with my car the way I am use to by rubbing on it and working on it. `It is less work overall and cheaper in the long run, but not as much fun and not as intimate. `I sort of equate it to my younger days when driving my brand new 1972 Firebird Formula four speed. `Man, I was proud of that car and what I time I had hitting the red line every time and hearing those gears shift at my command. `I became part of that car and in total touch with the engine`s every heartbeat. `I don`t want to give up the technology of that wonderful German automatic transmission in my ML350 of today but no way does it capture the driving experience I had with that manual four on the floor. `I think my mindset is virtually the same with the issue of coatings vs wax.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay is abrasive and might rub through the coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if you can do a chemical wash like an acid wash without hurting these non-permanent coatings? I know OC has no issues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously...are any coatings permanent? You will have to maintain it as you would paint which includes yearly or bi yearly maintenance polishing which will remove the coating long before its theoretical end of life. That whole duration debate with coatings is bogus. Coatings have one purpose...to be the sacrificial barrier and coatings get scratched and bombarded with the same stuff paint does. Would it be feasible to never polish your paint ever again? No. Its no more feasible to assume a coating would ever need correction ever again.
    To answer your question coatings can only be abraded off.

Post Thanks / Like
    OC is permanent. The only one.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the other coatings only last 2 years I wonder how durable they are with chemicals. What breaks down with time? Then can`t chemicals break it down prematurely? OC is chemical proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see results from testing this "chemical proof" you speak of...
    Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used wheel cleaner, solvent, and acid on the paint of my clients cars with no negative effects on the coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well, that convinces me 100%!

Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG NanoGlass Ceramic Coating--Info from Dr. Bailey

There are a LOT of vehicles on the road that have never been polished and many of them look pretty good. Oh they may not shine quite as much as some others but some do. It seems to me that polishing removes a micro layer of clear coat to remove tiny scratches and imperfections, but a good consistent layer of wax, sealant or coating protects that so polishing should only be needed rarely, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Seriously...are any coatings permanent? You will have to maintain it as you would paint which includes yearly or bi yearly maintenance polishing which will remove the coating long before its theoretical end of life. That whole duration debate with coatings is bogus. Coatings have one purpose...to be the sacrificial barrier and coatings get scratched and bombarded with the same stuff paint does. Would it be feasible to never polish your paint ever again? No. Its no more feasible to assume a coating would ever need correction ever again.
    To answer your question coatings can only be abraded off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information