Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The car had been in the rain this morning.` It had been parked in the garage for about an hour before I took this shot:

`
    <p style="text-align:center;">

`

This and Cquartz are labelled as hydrophobic.` If you haven`t seen Cquartz or similar while driving in the rain, it`s really unusual to see the water move across the hood.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Minor FYI/update:

`

I had asked the folks at Duragloss about cleaning the sprayer and the shelf life of the product once open:

`
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

`

Tom,

Thank you for your inquiry. Clean the sprayers with mineral spirits.

`

Shelf life is indefinite if kept stored between 60 - 80 degrees. Keep out of extreme heat due to the flammability of the product.

Heat will also cause evaporation as well.

Thanks,

Duragloss

`
    </blockquote>

`

`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.

Yeah, I think at this price point, it`s tough to bypass.` I think I`d skip the Squeaky Clean unless the car you are working on is in great shape.` I think most of us already own polishes etc that would be more appropriate.` I suspect they`ve created this affordable`kit to offer to the "general public"...those who are not savvy enough to`know whether they`re paint is really`ready for a coating.` I believe in most cases the novice can get decent results.

Tom -- thanks for this mini review on the new DG coating.`` I thought the Squeaky Clean`s purpose was to remove anything left behind by polishes so doesn`t it make sense to use it after polishing??

`

`

Just noticed that you can buy the coating alone now on the DG website, but it`s $38 for 4 oz--same price as the kit.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug

`` I thought the Squeaky Clean`s purpose was to remove anything left behind by polishes so doesn`t it make sense to use it after polishing??

`

`

`

I think the Squeaky Clean is a catch-all kind of product. I don`t know anything about it apart from the label posted above.

`

I think some will use it without any`previous`polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you think on a new car you could use squeaky clean then coating?

I thought of squeaky more like eraser than a Decontamination product similar to ironx.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that Squeaky Clean was developed at Richy`s suggestion to DG.` It`s based on the cleaning power of DG 501 with no sealant.``I believe it has no abrasives and is just a prep for coatings (or for any reason) that removes everything from the paint and leaves nothing behind.`` There is a thread on AG where Richy talks about SQ and it`s properties.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

See !` You do know more about it than I do

Post Thanks / Like

Tom--only because I happened to read Richy`s thread--let me know if you want it and I`ll PM the link.

`

It`disappoints me that DG has not put more information on their website regarding this new coating -- what is the initial cure time, what is the total cure time, does ES add any hardness and scratch resistance to the paint, can it be layered, if so how soon, can it be topped, should it be topped (say with AquaWax) to extend the life etc etc.

`

On another note:` Moved from New England to PA five years ago now and still missing New England!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Besides price, what are the pros and cons of DG ES vs Opti 2?

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

Still need to see some videos of how water reacts with this coating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D

Besides price, what are the pros and cons of DG ES vs Opti 2?

It seems to me there are two classes of coatings available today--- Opticoat 2.0 that lasts indefinitely and then a group of coatings that last 1-2 years.`` So the DG coating would be in that class that lasts 1-2 years, but the price is much more reasonable.` We`ll have to wait to see if it is easier to apply, how it looks, slickness and how durable it really is.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a claim of one or two years is based on real world expectations of performance, not marketing. `Painted panels expand and contract with heat and cold, that`s one of the reasons early clears broke apart and failed. `I suppose you could create a material that stuck firmly to the paint but not so much to itself so it acts like fish scales, providing protection and flexibility at the same time and since the application pad didn`t harden that may be what Duragloss is doing, or at least trying to do. `If it can be leveled after the 24 hours, because the excess just wipes off, that would suggest something along those lines. `

`

`

Robert`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard

`If it can be leveled after the 24 hours, because the excess just wipes off,```

`

`

Don`t think that is the case as Dr B said it needs to be wiped very quickly after application.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d argue the point that HD polish leaves nothing behind and thus perfect for pre coating polishing. You absolutely have to use the squeaky clean product or something just as effective after using any finishing polish...unless the finishing polish is designed for a specific coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Since Sqeaky Clean comes with the kit, and its 38 bucks, why not use it?
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information