Post Thanks / Like
    What I have planned for my black onyx LS430 after a full wash and clay in a few weeks.

1.Megs DA correction system- d300/d302/d301/zaino z5pro/pinnacle sovereign........OR

What if I throw some menzerna in the mix and go this route?

2. D300/d302/ menzerna po85rd/ powerlock/ pinnacle sovereign. Will they play nice?

I have not bought the menzerna yet. I also have not seen first Hand what the megs system and what I already have on the shelf can do.... So I might be wasting money on the menzerna, not sure....

All I know is that I want my car to look insane, as I will be doing a 3 day job on her, a little "staycation" if you will and want it to be all worth it. I`ve used the klasse twins before,after 3m fine cut compound, topped with sovereign, and liked the results. Do you think my new plans will produce superior results ?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Lust4Lexus- I dunno if any of this will really address your Qs, cut here are some sorta-random thoughts:

`

Proposal #1

-I`m no expert on the D300/D302/D301, but 1) I question whether the D302 will finish out OK on your presumably soft clear, 2)`I find M205 (similar?) doesn`t quite leave the finish I want even on hard clear,`and 3) I question whether the Zaino will bond to the D301

-I`d want better protection from etching/etc. than Zaino provides and if you`re choosing Z5 for it`s concealing properties I suspect you`ll be disappointed

-I like Souveran on my garage-queen Jag, but I`d never use it on a regular driver (BTDT); expect to reapply after every wash

`

Proposal#2

-Much better idea IMO but I`d skip the Souveran unless you simply can`t stand how the Powerlock looks by itself.

`

Unsolicited Proposal #3

- Use HD Polish instead of D302/PO85rd and use the Powerlock by itself (but, heh heh, `I gather you have the Souveran, and, having used it over the Klasse twins, are familiar with it`s durability and still plan to use it afterall so, well....OK).

`

Three days huh?` Maybe concentrate on the correction and getting the PowerLock on there and do the Souveran after the next wash.` I`d find myself pressed for time if I tried to do one of my sedans start-to-finish in three days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks accumulator. BTW. I washed, nanoskined, and did a quick and dirty megs #6 with a white foam pad just to get the "winter"off the car. Was itching to play with my gg6. I had a nice afternoon. Car came out looking great, and even a had a little correction. Definitely a nice hold over till I am ready for real correction later next month. Even after this simple 1 step, the car is a neck breaker when I drive by.

I think I`m going to see what results I get with the megs system on its own. Maybe I`ll order the menzerna powerlock for fun, and use it instead of the zaino. I`ve got the zaino already though...

Post Thanks / Like

Lust4Lexus- OK, that makes perfect sense (and I`m glad to hear the M06 spruced it up so nicely).

`

Just watch it with regard to inter-brand compatability; the Meg`s system leaves lots of stuff behind (even just their polishes, never mind the "finishing wax" or whatever they call it) and products like Zaino won`t bond well to that.` Have something effective on-hand to strip the paint bare so the Zaino/whatever willl bond OK; I find IPA to be somewhat effective, but it often takes several tries (which is why I prefer other stuff, but that`s just me).

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:

`

By "other stuff on hand" to replace the isopropyl alcohol (IPA) as a wipe-down cleaner after polishing`, I assume you mean Hi-Temp`s "Prep Wash" ,now Akrya Kleen, (from Top of the Line) or CarPro`s "Erase".

`

Barry Theal had a green spray can of Kleen-something that he recommended to someone for prep cleaning, but I cannot find the post or the person who referenced that picture of the product!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Yes, exactly!`

`

Barry has used all sorts of stuff for this, including window cleaner.` I`d be a *little* careful about trying something like that...while auto paint isn`t exactly fragile I`d hate for somebody to choose a product that did do some kind of damage.

`

As I keep saying, it`s easy for me to spend other people`s money, but IMO some kind of wipe-down cleaner really does belong on the shelf of any serious detailer.` And hey...I`m *not* one of those guys who always uses such stuff between my polishing and my LSP (just depends on the application).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie

Accumulator:

`

By "other stuff on hand" to replace the isopropyl alcohol (IPA) as a wipe-down cleaner after polishing`, I assume you mean Hi-Temp`s "Prep Wash" ,now Akrya Kleen, (from Top of the Line) or CarPro`s "Erase".

`

Barry Theal had a green spray can of Kleen-something that he recommended to someone for prep cleaning, but I cannot find the post or the person who referenced that picture of the product!!

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by KenAllwine

`

The coating process was exceptionally easy with Americoat. `

`

`

^^This?`

`

It was taken from this thread:

`

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...ine-detailing/

Post Thanks / Like

becciasm:

Yes, that is the one. Thanks a million for reading this post and re-posting the picture. You have no idea how much time (and personal sanity) you`ve saved me.

`

Accumulator:

Is Akrya Kleen a wash-type cleaner or a wipe-down cleaner? (Sorry for my ignorance!)

`

I have a can of PPG Prep-sol DX-440 from the pre-VOC days that was used as a wipe-down cleaner before applying spray paint to car surfaces. I use it to remove caked-on old wax from emblems or adhesive-sealers and grease from door hinge areas.`I do not want to use`as a polishing oil remover wipe-down because it works so well for the applications mentioned above and I have a limited amount left.

( I miss non-VOC-compliant `(by todays regulations) car-care chemicals! They don`t make `em like they use to....)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I too miss the pre-VOC days, but fortunately I`ve stockpiled many of the products I`d hate to be without.

`

The Akrya Kleen/Prep Wash is a wipe-down cleaner, but I prefer to do a light rinsing rather than just wipe-on-wipe-off (i.e., I`ll use a damp MF or maybe mist a bit of water on there).` I doubt that it`s as effective as a more solventy approach, but it works *much* better than IPA for me.

`

Though I have no real objective data to support the decision, I prefer to not use PrepSol/PreKleano/CleanSolve/etc.`for anything other than pre-paint prep.` I do, however, sometimes use my beloved 3M Adhesive Remover for tough cleaning jobs, and there`s always ValuGard`s New Car Prep, which I should probably reach for more often than I do.

Thread Information