Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This has taken longer than planned to test and write up.` I know there are many who have been anxiously awaiting this write up and to all of you, I apologize for the delay.`

`

`

After my first review of some trim restorers and dressings “http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1.../#entry1422446<span style="font-size:14px;">” I was contacted by a few companies to review their trim restore products as well.`

`

`
    I chose to include a few over the counter products, not because I expected them to compete with the others, but so that the DIYers could decide whether the cost of the other products are justified. `We have all had those moments of debate whether it is worth the cost for a product that is many times that of something you could grab at the local auto parts store. `There are still other products I would like to test and compare but with over $250 invested in products for testing I cannot justify purchasing any more just for testing purposes. `
    `
    `
    Finding people with test subjects that were willing to allow for uneven looking trim for a long period of time and being accessible for me to observe proved more difficult than I anticipated. `The solution was to dumpster dive at a few local body shops. `
    `
    `
    For the durability test I used a bumper strip (unknown vehicle) that I cut into several pieces and attached to a large piece of plastic. `This allows for easy mobility, even and consistent exposure to the elements and side by side comparisons. `
    `

`
    `
    `
    Each piece for the test panel was cleaned with Optimum Power Clean, then with Pre Wow!, followed by a dawn wash and `finally an IPA wipe. `If that isn’t enough to properly clean and prepare plastic trim for a product then the product is not user friendly enough for me to even consider using. `The bottom 1 inch of each piece was taped off to provide a strip of untreated plastic. `I also kept a small piece that was untreated as a control piece that could be held next to each treated piece. `Unfortunately the piece was not heavily faded but since this particular test was for durability it shouldn’t matter. `(Scroll down for the effectiveness testing) `Since the test pieces were small I used triangle make-up applicator sponges to apply. `Since some products had varying recommendations for time before being exposed to the elements I left the panel in the garage for a full week after application. ` Any specific application details included below. `I shot a video of the application process should anyone question the application method affecting the results. `Video part 1, `Video part 2
    `
    `
    `
    `
    *I am not a great photographer and many of these were taken in haste just for documentation purposes. `Sometimes the photos may not appear exactly as my description implies. `In most cases this is due to lighting and angles. `
    `
    `
    `
    Turtle Wax Trim Restorer:
    `

`
    `
    This was a last minute addition since my neighbor happened to have it in his garage. `Cost is roughly $10 for 10 oz. ` It is a clear, thin liquid and has a mild, unidentified fruit smell (possibly apple or pineapple. `Can’t tell with my cold). `Allow to penetrate for 5-10 minutes, then wipe off excess. `It goes on quite oily; feels like rubbing baby oil on the trim. `The initial look is very oily as well. `
    `
    `
    `
    Mother’s Back to Black:
    `

`
    `
    This had been taking up space on the shelf in my garage for some time. ` Cost is roughly $7 for 8 oz. `A white lotion-like consistency that has a mild chemical odor; slightly thinner than shampoo. `Allow to dry then buff off excess. `Darkens the trim with a low sheen. `Requires significantly more product to cover an area than any other product tested. `On larger sections it produced uneven results.
    `
    `
    `
    Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer:
    `

`
    `
    Another product that has been on my shelf for a long time. `Cost is roughly $10 for 12 oz. `A cream colored lotion with a tropical, sun tan lotion smell. `Wipe on an remove excess. `Easy to apply and provides a dark, rich but not overly greasy look. `
    `
    `
    `
    Poorboys World Trim Restorer:
    `

`
    `
    I decided to add this to an order just to add to the test. `Cost is roughly $18 for 16 oz. `A clear, very thin liquid with a very distinct coconut/tanning oil smell. `Wipe on and allow to dry as long as possible before buffing off excess. `Spreads very easy and leaves a oily look when applied.
    `
    `
    `
    Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus: `
    `

`
    `
    This has been my favorite dressing for trim. `Cost is roughly $32 for 12 oz. `A little goes a very long way so the initial look of being costly is deceptive. `A clear liquid with a mild solvent smell. `Instructions don’t say it but I have found it best to allow to penetrate for 10-15 minutes, then wipe off excess Spreads very easy and leaves a moderately glossy look but not greasy to the touch once dried.
    `
    `
    `
    Solution Finish: This was provided to me by the Chris West for testing purposes. `
    `

`
    `
    Cost is roughly $40 for 12 oz. `I had read many forum posts that question this products viability on colored trim other than black. `It is a liquid consistency that is black in color; almost looks like fountain pen ink when in the bottle. `I tested on a light gray interior panel and had no issue with the black changing the color; just giving the low sheen, dressed look. `I see no reason to believe it would not produce the same results if used on colored plastics. `When spread on a lighter color plastic the black color makes it look uneven. `Larger areas can seem to not be getting even coverage at first. `Allow to penetrate 1-2 minutes then wipe off the excess. `The unevenness goes away leaving a rich, natural look. `Wear gloves as it will absorb into skin and stain. `Likewise, if it gets on paint wipe off immediately. `Once dried it can be difficult to remove. `Taping around the trim made it much quicker and easier to work to the edges. `
    `
    `
    `
    Black Wow!: `This was purchased for the first test.
    `

`
    `
    Cost as purchased was roughly $45 for the 4 oz. kit that includes the Pre Wow that is the recommended cleaning companion. `A 2 oz kit is roughly $35 and a 2 oz bottle without the Pre Wow can be gotten for about $16. `It is a pinkish-orange gel with a nice watermelon smell. `A little goes a long way. `This test piece was taped across the middle to test the difference between dwell times. `After my first test Richard Lin, the maker of Black Wow!, suggested I did not allow the product to penetrate long enough which likely contributed to the poor performance. `The top half of the test piece was allowed to dwell for about an hour before removing the excess while the lower half was left for about 4 days. `On larger test panels it was a little more difficult to spread and produced thicker areas that looked greasy. `Once the excess was removed the look was still glossy but even. `
    `
    `
    `
    Black Wow Pro: `A small sample of this product was sent for testing after the first test. `It was sent prior to its introduction at SEMA. `It is just now beginning to be distributed to retailers.
    `

`
    `
    Cost is roughly $70 for 16 oz. `At first Black Wow Pro looks very similar to Black Wow! `It has a color more of a true orange and has the same pleasant, watermelon smell. `The consistency is much thinner; more of a liquid than a gel. `It is designed to absorb much faster into the plastic and eliminate some of the issues experienced with Black Wow!, thus being more user friendly. `That it is. `I found it to spread easier, absorb quicker and leave a very natural, rich, non-greasy look. ` I have heard of others using an air brush for applying it which can be a huge advantage when applying to intricate areas like plastic grill inserts and vent covers.
    `
    `
    `
    We now get into the coatings: `these products bond to the surface rather than absorbing into the plastic.
    `
    `
    `
    GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer: `A carry over from the first test.
    `

`
    `
    Cost is roughly $65 for 1 oz. `A ˝ oz. option is available for ~$40. ` It is a clear liquid. `It looks like a small vial of water. `The smell is a floral-chemical smell that I can’t identify but hints of Absenthe. `Don’t let the price scare you. `I managed to coat all the plastic on an Avalanche, including the bed cover panels, with about ľ oz. `Apply evenly and immediately remove any excess with a micro fiber towel. `The look is very natural and effective at restoring the look of faded trim. `
    `
    `
    `
    Carmor Fade to New: `This was provided for testing purposes. `
    `

`
    `
    I had not heard of the product prior to being contacted and asked if I would be interested in testing it. `Cost is roughly $35 for 1 oz. `It is also a clear liquid that works by bonding to the surface of the plastic in a similar way to the GTechniq. `The smell is similar to acetone/nail polish remover and the consistency is slightly thicker than the GTechniq. `Side by side products look very similar with Carmor having a slightly glossier look. `Being slightly thicker, Carmor is a little slower to spread, particularly on larger sections. `Once applied avoid contact for 2 hours to avoid smudging. `It is advised to not clean the plastic with strong cleaners for 1 week after application. `Avoid water for 24 hours to avoid spotting or trails. `Wipe gently as soon as possible if water does come in contact during that time.
    `
    `
    `
    Forever Black: `Another carry over from the first test.
    `

`
    `
    Cost is roughly $13 for 6 oz. `A black, liquid dye, *not for use on any other color. `I have used this product on my own vehicles in the past and found it to be quite effective. `I have learned that applying a second coat after the first has been allowed to dry for ~15 minutes will greatly enhance coverage and look. `It is difficult to get perfectly even coverage so it can look splotchy for a while after application. `I have found that to even out over time. `Additional coats may reduce that. `
    `
    `
    `
    ValuGard ETR III: `Another carry over from the first test.
    `

`
    `
    Cost is roughly $80 for the kit (3 parts, 4 oz. each). ` The look is similar to a smooth, polished, black plastic, even on texture, that has a slight purplish tint. `Difficult to describe. `This product did not perform well in the first test. ` The first part of the kit is a cleaner to be applied with a towel. `Allow to dry completely, then apply the Color Guard, allow to dry completely, then apply the UV Guard, allow to dry completely. `For optimal durability it is recommended to apply a second coat of the UV Guard. `The UV Guard has a blue tint to it when applied that becomes clear when dry. `I suspect that is what gives the slightly blue/purple tint to the final look. `The kit is specifically for black but it is my understanding that it is possible to get other colors, though I found nothing about that on the website. `The time to apply to just a small section was extensive. `The combination of applying multiple coats, then waiting for each to dry makes it a little tedious, particularly when doing intricate parts like bumper inserts or mirror housings. ` This would likely be less of an issue when doing an entire vehicle as the starting point should be dry by the time you make it around the vehicle. `Do not expose to water for at least 24 hours.
    `
    `
    `
    After 12 days and a couple light rains (~1 week of exposure) I had an opportunity to observe the water beading of the products. `Beading is, by no means, a conclusive test of effectiveness or durability, particularly because not all the products are hydrophobic but for some it can provide a reference if there is a change. `For many you can see the difference in the beading on the treated and untreated sections. ` (Scroll down for a better demonstration of the hydrophobic qualities of each product.)
    `
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`

Post Thanks / Like
    Two days later, at the 2 week mark I decided to check on the products. ` The angle of the sun was very different than the initial shots which made some of them look more faded than they appeared in person.
    `
    `

`
    Looking strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Barely can tell it was applied.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Still visible but drastically faded.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Another that is almost completely obliterated.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Somewhat disappointing considering it is one of my favorite dressings. `I did discover during the first test that UTTG did have significant fading in the first few days but then held strong from there for a while. `This photo looks more faded than it did in person.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Holding Strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    When I first saw this photo I thought there were areas cleaned off by water drops. `Upon analyzing the initial photo there are some minor irregularities in the plastic that caused that look. `The light just amplified it here.
    `
    `
    `

`
    This was a surprise. `The photo does make it look as though it is completely gone. `It is still present but heavily faded. `More on this to come.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Apologies for the shadow. `Strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Strong.
    `
    `
    `
    The one month mark: `
    `
    No washes have been done and only 3 weeks of exposure, though several light-moderate rains. `
    `
    `

`
    Beading has become less uniform.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Beading has become less uniform but the strip of untreated indicates there is more present than was is visible.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Never did bead well… no change.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Significant loss of beading.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Still very strong beading.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Never beaded… no change. `
    `
    `
    `

`
    The first indication of a difference between the dwell times of the Black Wow! `Beading on the top (~2 hours dwell) is slipping while beading on the lower (~4 days dwell) is still tight.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Appears to be non-existent.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Still strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Still strong.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Never great beading… no change.
    `
    `
    `

`
    Never great beading… no change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because different plastics can cause different results I took advantage of any opportunity to test. `This is a friend’s badly neglected BMW. ``
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    I was told the trim was gray and not black so I did not take the Forever Black and ETR III kit along for this test.
    `
    This is how the ones across the back looked after application.
    `

`
    `
    5 Weeks later: `(cell phone photos, pardon the color filter I did not realize was enabled for the first shots.)
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    `
    And 9 weeks:
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    * `I spoke with Richard Lin of Black Wow! about the poor performance of the Black Wow Pro in the durability testing. `I know that the results I have seen in this testing is not typical. `There are people who are getting 6 months and more from Black Wow Pro. `It is possible that certain plastics are less likely to absorb the product for a variety of reasons, leaving it to just sit on top until being washed away. `We have discussed a variety of possibilities and I will continue to test and try to isolate the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course, durability isn’t the only aspect to consider for a trim restorer. `
    `
    `
    The striping issue with some plastic bumpers as they fade is a real eyesore. ` Here’s another of my body shop finds. `
    `
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    Certain angles of light indicate these two have not completely eliminated the striping, though they are significantly less obvious.
    `

`
    `
    `
    Turtle Wax covered it well, as did the Mother’s. `Unfortunately the uneven coverage of the Mother’s causes it to not look much better.`
    `

`
    `
    `
    Meguiar’s also did a good job of eliminating the striping.
    `

`
    `
    `

`
    `
    Both Solution Finish and Black Wow Pro did reasonably well, but still not completely gone in all lights and angles.
    `

`
    `
    Black Wow! did a rather good job.
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    UTTG and Poorboy’s failed pretty bad in this test.
    `

`
    `
    `
    Forever Black covered the striping well, as would be expected. `Here is a good example of the unevenness that I have repeatedly experienced. `
    `

`
    `
    The ETR III kit also completely covered. `
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `

`
    `
    `
    Here is a video showing the hydrophobic nature of each product.
    `

`
    `
    Water repellency isn’t always desirable. `Even if a product does not remain oily it can become a slipping hazard when applied to steps or anywhere else a person is likely to step. `I had a customer report how slippery his running boards on his Avalanche were in the rain after they had been coated with GTechniq C4. `This is an area where Solution Finish can be a better choice. `
    `
    `
    The next step was to test against strong cleaners. ` Using Optimum Power Clean at 3:1 on a microfiber towel I rubbed a small spot in the lower center of each section. `
    `
    GTechniq and Carmor were both unfazed. `Turtle Wax Trim Restorer didn’t stand a chance. `Mother’s and Meguiar’s didn’t do much better.
    `

`
    `
    Solution Finish, Black Wow Pro and Forever Black were barely affected. (Significant rubbing would likely remove them) `Ultima Tire & Trim Guard was affected a little more. `Black Wow! and Poorboy’s were both easily removed. ` Photos were omitted since they did not show well in the flat light.
    `
    While I have not experienced the same bonding/pealing issues I did in the first test with the ValuGard ETR III kit, was easily removed by a little OPC. `
    `

`
    `
    `
    As the most expensive of all the trim restoring products tested I find it highly disappointing. `That combined with the laborious and time consuming process to apply make it the most disappointing of the products.
    `
    `
    I have other tests underway and will report those results as they become available. `
    `
    `
    I will continue observing the durability test panel and report updates. `Some of the products have an expected durability of well over a year. `I will continue to observe the remaining products for up to 2 years or until they are effectively degraded to be considered no longer viable.
    Likes newtows4thlaw liked this post
    Thanks newtows4thlaw thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax for the win!
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno....that TW didn`t hold up too well on the BMW.

`

Looks like my UTTG has some real competition, should I ever use mine up.

`

Very interesting comparison!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the time and effort, well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review!

`

UTTGP is my go to trim restorer/protector and it works very well with trim in good condition. `

`

BUT it does not fair so well on heavily worn trim. `Tried it on my mothers 2006 Civic and it just soaked it up. `After it dried, it had no indication of any dressing or restoration. `A second coat helps a tiny bit but definitely no cigar.

`

Perhaps i`ll keep a bottle of Turtle Wax on the side for heavily weathered trim.

`

I`ve tried Mothers Back to Black a long time ago on a dark blue vehicle that i owned at the time. `After it rained, i noticed an oil slick on my paint from the trim product leaching away. `Any indication of leaching from the other trim restore products?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for doing this test!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!!!`Thanks for putting in the time. `I`ve had pretty good results with 3D Trim Care Protectant.`` It`s the consistancy of Karo Syrup so it`s easy to control on surfaces and has been holding up now since October through some pretty tough weather here in SW PA.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer

Awesome review!

<span style="font-size:12px;">` Any indication of leaching from the other trim restore products?

I have plans to do more testing and this is one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I nominate with this for best of pin, or whatever possible

we can give this post. Great writeup with amazing pictures.

I enjoyed that you evaluated more than just look. This seems

to mimic real world scenarios effectively.

I am curious what you would label your go-to restorer just based

on these tests. With cost, fading, covering ability, and residency,

is there a clear standout or two?

I would be curious at seeing a break down of products found in

retail stores and auto parts versus the ones found in boutiques and

online only. Perhaps we should give each photo a one through ten

ranking for your various tests, plus rate cost and ease of use. This

could give us a table with which we can choose a group of leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

Epic thread. Make sure to keep this going. Thanks for taking the time to produce such an educational documentation.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting test and very well documented!
    Turbo Wax Products
    www.turbowax.com

Detailing services in the Ft.Lauderdale area.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! awesome thread! `I look forward to updates as this progresses. `This should definitely be pinned to stay at the top!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information